China Needs DJs (not a joke, for real)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I got this from a friend of mine who's one of the biggest hip-hop promoters in China. It might be an interesting opportunity for DJs looking to get a lot of road experience and/or soak in China for 3-6 months. NOTE: this will not be like touring Japan. China's a pretty unique place right now, especially for hip-hop but don't let your fantasies go amok about hot Ziyi Zhang chicks in every city and the swankiest in accomodations. You'll be on a grind - hopefully a fun and illuminating one, but shit ain't cush. Anyways, here's the call:Wanted to know if you knew any DJs that would be interested and able to just drop everything and move to China for 3-6months.I've wrapping up a 57 city tour throughout China, and we're looking to do another one in late February 2006.I'm interested in bringing over DJs, put them on tour during the weekend and on the weekdays have a couple residencies or book them out for events.It's a crazy time for hip hop in China.Please let me know your thoughts.ShowtymeDana Tiago Burton Showtyme Entertainment (Shanghai)

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Paging Tom Delay....

Did he say "57 city tour??"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I've been to china and it was awesome. This is fucked up opportunity if the chinese take care of you the way they know how. you wil be in paradise plus the shit is the cheapest there man hands down. (50ct for a big bottle of beer etc) thank you devalued currency.
    Plus the scene is new there so cats would be feeling you. jump on this.

Finally, check sketch Krime for good chinese hiphop

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Paging Tom Delay....

Did he say "57 city tour??"

Yeah, Delay should get up on this.

bitches..

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    odub translate your blog in chinese and promote should fix that traffic letdown right up

Foreal thx for all the blog efforts much appreciated

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    julie may holler at you... shes out in taiwan but she might be down...

i would do it but i dont have any djing skills...

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    It sounds like a great opportunity for the young, single, international players that frequent the soulstrut.com message board. I fully expect this tour will result in a boom of Chinese posters on soulstrut.

Unfortunately, I'm with Justin.

i would do it but i dont have any djing skills...

JRoot

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I got a friend in Shanghai that's been rooting for me to get a show out there. I know it's ripe as hell, just need to pick that fruit.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    i would do it but i dont have anyone to pay my bills for 3-6 months...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Now about how many records should we bring?

two

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Is this a Hip-Hop only affair? If not, I'm game.

i would think you could get away with a few hundred records. like 150-300. really. different events around an area are going to bring different clientele just like here in the states if you were to go on a djing run from here to texas. if you get bored with some shit just ship it back and have someone pull you some new shit...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

i would think you could get away with a few hundred records. like 150-300. really. different events around an area are going to bring different clientele just like here in the states if you were to go on a djing run from here to texas. if you get bored with some shit just ship it back and have someone pull you some new shit...

Too much trouble to do that and with customs the way it is today your records may come up missing. Fuck that.

• Now about how many records should we bring?

two

But how many if one wanted to "keep it real"?

(I'd prefer to keep it relative mode)

Too much trouble to do that and with customs the way it is today your records may come up missing. Fuck that.

awww who cares! this is an adventure man... fuck it! its only vinyl and probably you could get away with a bunch of bullshit too that isnt rare. you can probably rock reissues or some cameron paul 12" remixes. telling you... someone should do this. what a great opportunity.

i wouldnt think twice about this shit if i were a little younger, not married, and had djing skills. yall gotta live a little and get out from your surroundings.

• being as i will currently be unemployed, id be down for this. however, i dont really have any dj skills. but if i were to play the same set for say 3-6 months in china, i might be passable. plus im down for the food [no daipaidong]

being as i will currently be unemployed, id be down for this. however, i dont really have any dj skills. but if i were to play the same set for say 3-6 months in china, i might be passable. plus im down for the food [no daipaidong]

dude... get the gig and ill give you records and funnel new shit to you on a biweekly basis. freal id be down to support you vinyl-wise if you get the gig.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

awww who cares! this is an adventure man... fuck it! its only vinyl and probably you could get away with a bunch of bullshit too that isnt rare. you can probably rock reissues or some cameron paul 12" remixes. telling you... someone should do this. what a great opportunity.

i wouldnt think twice about this shit if i were a little younger, not married, and had djing skills. yall gotta live a little and get out from your surroundings.

This is what I need to find out. Maybe I can get a bunch of dollarbin commons and DJ out there. I'd might be down for that.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

You been to China lately, doggie? Because ain't NO problem w/ Chinese customs, you walk right through a gate and the watch you come in. It's coming back to USA where you get shit on.

That said, whoever has the skills should GO GO GO GO, I can vouch for Hanzhou and Shanghai night life. Do that shit!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

You been to China lately, doggie? Because ain't NO problem w/ Chinese customs, you walk right through a gate and the watch you come in. It's coming back to USA where you get shit on.

That said, whoever has the skills should GO GO GO GO, I can vouch for Hanzhou and Shanghai night life. Do that shit!

Give me an idea of what they like to get down to out there.

• thanks hommie!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

You been to China lately, doggie? Because ain't NO problem w/ Chinese customs, you walk right through a gate and the watch you come in.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    oliver,

check pms.

• Would I get to spin for them?

• two of my good friends and teachers live in yunnan and they really want me to come visit for a while to do artwork, almost did last year but $$$ is a big problem for me right now.

• CueCue 26 Posts
    This probably sounds like a dumb question, but how come Americans can travel to China and not Cuba? I'm not aware of the legal implications.

• This probably sounds like a dumb question, but how come Americans can travel to China and not Cuba? I'm not aware of the legal implications.

Because American companies can make a lot of money from investment and business with China.

• Hmmm I'm going to tour/vacation Japan in March.....Hmmmm.....I'll have my records......Hmmm.....

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but how come Americans can travel to China and not Cuba? I'm not aware of the legal implications.

Because American companies can make a lot of money from investment and business with China.

cuba = communist
    china = "communist"

• This probably sounds like a dumb question, but how come Americans can travel to China and not Cuba? I'm not aware of the legal implications.

cuba = communist
    china = "communist"

Not to mention the stubborn pride of the US. Castro, being a communist leade,r that can't be stooped, 90miles from American soil, is like a thumb in the eye of the imperialist dogs we call our leaders, and I love him for that.