China Needs DJs (not a joke, for real)

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    any idea on what the pay would be, or are we just talking room and board?

• any idea on what the pay would be, or are we just talking room and board?

Your room will include a board to sleep on.

• someone should really jump on this! this is a BIG DEAL. if you dont have prior commitments jump on this. you will be in the history books trust me.
    peace, stein. . .

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    wow. plaese come to hong kong.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    someone should really jump on this! this is a BIG DEAL. if you dont have prior commitments jump on this. you will be in the history books trust me.
    peace, stein. . .

calling up the MC homie as I type this... Jumping on has already begun.

• someone should really jump on this! this is a BIG DEAL. if you dont have prior commitments jump on this. you will be in the history books trust me.

peace, stein. . .

If it works out for you you may have to change your screen name.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    someone should really jump on this! this is a BIG DEAL. if you dont have prior commitments jump on this. you will be in the history books trust me.
    peace, stein. . .

If it works out for you you may have to change your screen name.

RMBless, I can feel that.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not ignoring ya'll but I've been in airports and on planes for most of today.

I forgot to post Dana's email. It's:

I appreciate all the PMs but I'm not a gatekeeper here, just a messenger. Dana's a good guy though - he'll probably want a basic DJ resume and mixtape at some point. I do think it's meant to be hip-hop - at least partly - and yeah guys, you sort of need some skills.

This isn't like teaching English in Japan or Taiwan where you don't need to know shit (except for English). Chinese ain't stupid - if you can't rock a fuggin' party, they'll give you chinky-eyed ice grills.

ANd to answer the earlier question:

The U.S. cannot NOT afford to have diplomatic relations with China given the latter country's prominence in the geo-political world. Ever since Nixon went over, the two nations have had fairly favorable political relations (hence the easy travel), despite stumbling blocks over trade and, oh yeah, human rights. Cuba on the other hand, the U.S. could give a piss about because they're just waiting for Fidel to die. Best believe this: the minute there's a significant change in political leadership in Cuba, U.S. capital is going to hit that island so fuckin' fast, it's going to be like Hurricane IMF.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    whatever turns out, I wish everybody all the very best with this Tour!!

I think this is a really good thing to the hip-hop community in China.

not many of these happens in this part.

• anyone who takes up this offer can seriously set themselves up..you know how fanatical asians are??
    you could get yourself an annual job out of this i reckon..

• I'm not too familiar with China, so I was curious, are there any security concerns? Given the general ill will towards Americans on the global scene (in many places, not all), I was curious what the deal is in China.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i doubt it.

I'm not too familiar with China, so I was curious, are there any security concerns? Given the general ill will towards Americans on the global scene (in many places, not all), I was curious what the deal is in China.

Naw man. China's not as safe as say, Amish country, but no one's going to kung fu kick you just for being an American. Like the Japanese, there's a fascination with America in China (and sure, a lot of criticism too). Too bad they can be kind of short-sighted about this shit too though. I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

anyone who takes up this offer can seriously set themselves up..you know how fanatical asians are??
    you could get yourself an annual job out of this i reckon..

Don't confuse Chinese with Japanese fanatacism - shit is next level in Japan and China's not remotely there.

Asians aren't all the same.

• I'm not too familiar with China, so I was curious, are there any security concerns? Given the general ill will towards Americans on the global scene (in many places, not all), I was curious what the deal is in China.

Naw man. China's not as safe as say, Amish country, but no one's going to kung fu kick you just for being an American. Like the Japanese, there's a fascination with America in China (and sure, a lot of criticism too). Too bad they can be kind of short-sighted about this shit too though. I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

Interesting.

Of course, given stereotypes, that's kinda like how nobody really wants a white guy for, say, a ju-jitsu instructor.

I'm not too familiar with China, so I was curious, are there any security concerns? Given the general ill will towards Americans on the global scene (in many places, not all), I was curious what the deal is in China.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

Interesting.

Of course, given stereotypes, that's kinda like how nobody really wants a white guy for, say, a ju-jitsu instructor.

Yet that never stopped there from being like, thousands of white martial arts teachers.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

Dude, that fucking sucks. What the hell!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

that's par for course, it's like you going to a sushi joint and getting disappointed seeing a white sushi chef, haha.

asians get grinded harder when they apply for all the engrish teaching jobs in japan (nova, jet, etc). Oh and if you speak Japanese, lie and say you don't.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yah Aser, but they are talking about DJing not, teaching "English."

I would think it's a little different for "the arts" but I guess not.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    only americans though? us pan europeans could do it too

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

that's par for course, it's like you going to a sushi joint and getting disappointed seeing a white sushi chef, haha.

asians get grinded harder when they apply for all the engrish teaching jobs in japan (nova, jet, etc). Oh and if you speak Japanese, lie and say you don't.

Oh, no doubt. I'm well aware about the English teacher phenom. It doesn't matter how good my speaking or writing skills are: one look at my surname and . For real, as much as I bitch about the ways in which Asian Americans are invisible in America, most Asians (i.e. in Asia) don't have a clue what to make of us either.

I once had a doctor in Shanghai criticize me for not speaking Mandarin. Provided, it says a lot of America's mono-lingualism that most of us aren't bilingual in any language, but I wanted to retort, "dude, I grew up in the U.S. When in Rome, motherfucker" but of course, I didn't know how to say that in Mandarin.

Zing!

• I was supposed to DJ in Hong Kong for a New Year's gig but they cancelled after finding out I was Chinese American. They wanted a WHITE American to spin.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

most of us aren't bilingual in any language,

dude, i'm bilingual in three languages.

so wait, they want the look of authenticity but the DJ has to be white (black/brown not an option)?!?!

• what about the bird flu?!?!?!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Is this a Hip-Hop only affair? If not, I'm game.

Read the thread dude. Already addressed.

Bird flu = some real shit but who knows how real? Don't believe the hype. But also avoid chickens.

I was talking about a particular case in HK. I'm sure for this tour, DJs of ALL colors will be welcome. Dana's a black dude from Detroit so he's not about to play that dumb ass race card shit as a promoter.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    This probably sounds like a dumb question, but how come Americans can travel to China and not Cuba? I'm not aware of the legal implications.

Because American companies can make a lot of money from investment and business with China.

This might be true, but I think it has more to do with the deficit. China owns tons of our money and they can't afford to drop it any sooner than we can afford to cut ties. We need China bad.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Read the thread dude. Already addressed.

oops, missed that. cool

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but how come Americans can travel to China and not Cuba? I'm not aware of the legal implications.

Because American companies can make a lot of money from investment and business with China.

This might be true, but I think it has more to do with the deficit. China owns tons of our money and they can't afford to drop it any sooner than we can afford to cut ties. We need China bad.

True but again, folks are missing the larger picture. The U.S. has had favorable diplomatic relations with communist nations for DECADES. Cuba is the exception, not the rule, and that has everything to do with Fidel. I mean, when did the U.S. lift travel restrictions on people going to the USSR? I'm sure that must have been in the 1970s if not sooner.

I personally think the travel embargo on Cuba is some dumb shit by the way.

FUCK THAT NONSENSE.

Interesting.

Yet that never stopped there from being like, thousands of white martial arts teachers.

oh shit. rosshogg just got moded.

• Interesting.

But the martial arts are a mature sport (or whatever you'd like to call it) in the United States. By now, of course there will be many white instructors. Plus, there's only so many Asian martial arts instructors to go around.

I still hold firm that if you stuck an Asian martial arts instructor next to a white one and with no other information given, people would line up for the Asian one.