Hiphop vinyl VS. all other vinyl raer

13»

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

So have you ever found a copy of The Beatnuts "Sandwiches" 12" for $1 or a copy of Big Daddy Kane's "Ain't No half Steppin" promo 12" with the instrumental Dub?

who is this guy? arent you the same dude that was calling ross a snob?

maybe i was missing your sarcastic tone due to my lack of being on this site as much as i used to but if not...:

i really think that if you pose a question and someone disagrees with you that you shouldnt get salty and grumpy and reply with an aggressive tone. thats kind of uncalled for.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

So have you ever found a copy of The Beatnuts "Sandwiches" 12" for $1 or a copy of Big Daddy Kane's "Ain't No half Steppin" promo 12" with the instrumental Dub?

maybe i was missing your sarcastic tone due to my lack of being on this site as much as i used to but if not...:

i really think that if you pose a question and someone disagrees with you that you shouldnt get salty and grumpy and reply with an aggressive tone. thats kind of uncalled for.

It may appear that I was being sarcastic but I was not. My bad homie.

• I think, in general, hip-hop records are easier to come by than raer grooves/breaks.

My theory: part of this is that most young people who buy vinyl today are taking better care of their records and treating them like collectibles, whereas back when LPs were the standard music format, Joe Shmoe wouldn't think twice about writing his name on the jacket, getting fingerprints on 'em, etc. And these young people know to take those records to a real shop or dealer, and aren't likely to dump them at the thrift shop. (full disclosure: i am a young people. )

Also, a rare jazz LP can be sought after by a wider market, i.e., jazz collectors as well as hip hop headz. Hip hop is really only collected by hip hop collectors (duh). And as a record gets older, it's only gonna get more scarce (in most cases). There aren't any rap records before '79 or whenever.

This is just a general theory i have. Of course it depends on what specific records you're looking for, and where you're looking, although i think the thread-starter and i are both in the yay area, yes?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

well then... mr unfriendly...

have i ever found a copy of either of those... i dont know. i dont really remember. ive bought tens of thousands of records since i started buying vinyl in the 20+yrs ive been buying vinyl. i was working in the music industry when the beatnuts were releasing that vinyl and ive had so many bdk 12s that its quite possible... i didnt really keep a tally of vinyl acquired in the old days.

are these tough for you to find? why dont you send me a list of all the tough rap records youre after and ill make some calls for you. maybe i can uncover some for you...

...and ill have to go home to my folks house to check at some point but i feel like i have a sandwiches 12" with a white label and hand written titles but there were so many of those in the 90s that i could be getting that confused with another record.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I think, in general, hip-hop records are easier to come by than raer grooves/breaks.

My theory: part of this is that most young people who buy vinyl today are taking better care of their records and treating them like collectibles, whereas back when LPs were the standard music format, Joe Shmoe wouldn't think twice about writing his name on the jacket, getting fingerprints on 'em, etc. And these young people know to take those records to a real shop or dealer, and aren't likely to dump them at the thrift shop. (full disclosure: i am a young people. )

Also, a rare jazz LP can be sought after by a wider market, i.e., jazz collectors as well as hip hop headz. Hip hop is really only collected by hip hop collectors (duh). And as a record gets older, it's only gonna get more scarce (in most cases). There aren't any rap records before '79 or whenever.

This is just a general theory i have. Of course it depends on what specific records you're looking for, and where you're looking, although i think the thread-starter and i are both in the yay area, yes?

That's a good point. I remember I used to mistreat my records in teh early days cause I didn't think they would even attemp to fase out vinyl , but sure enough n teh early 90's they tried to do just that. So I understand what you're saying.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

well then... mr unfriendly...

have i ever found a copy of either of those... i dont know. i dont really remember. ive bought tens of thousands of records since i started buying vinyl in the 20+yrs ive been buying vinyl. i was working in the music industry when the beatnuts were releasing that vinyl and ive had so many bdk 12s that its quite possible... i didnt really keep a tally of vinyl acquired in the old days.

are these tough for you to find? why dont you send me a list of all the tough rap records youre after and ill make some calls for you. maybe i can uncover some for you...

...and ill have to go home to my folks house to check at some point but i feel like i have a sandwiches 12" with a white label and hand written titles but there were so many of those in the 90s that i could be getting that confused with another record.

Yeah I've had a few friends working at the local record shop during those days and snatched up all of those promos as soon as they walked in the door. Other people I know were just well known DJs at the time and got these promos sent to them for free. One guy I know has this Gangstarr Test Pressing EP that I've never seen before with maybe three unreleased instrumentals from the album, Daily operation among other things and had no clue on the rarity but wanted to hold onto them anyway. Anyway, this was all just a thought I had on this vinyl. As for a list, i'll give you three records that I'm loking for and well you see what you can do and we'll go from there. And again sorry for the mix up i was not trying to be a dickhead. Peace.

• My (late) .02:

Hip-hop is definitely collectable and in some cases pressed in lower numbers than a lot of the souljazzfunk stuffs. Vanity pressings, white labels, whatever, it's a collectors paradise. But it all boils down to supply and demand. Hip-hop is out there, tied up with DJs, collectors, and "dealers" (used loosely for some of these jokers). It's no longer in stores and warehouses are for the most part dead. I bet really nobody is selling cuz of the market. I mean really how many DJs do you know that is NOW just dying to sell off his collection for $.25 - $.50 per record???

Oh and I HAVE THAT SANDWICHES 12"!@!#!!!!

:shocked..........................................

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    My (late) .02:

Hip-hop is definitely collectable and in some cases pressed in lower numbers than a lot of the souljazzfunk stuffs. Vanity pressings, white labels, whatever, it's a collectors paradise. But it all boils down to supply and demand. Hip-hop is out there, tied up with DJs, collectors, and "dealers" (used loosely for some of these jokers). It's no longer in stores and warehouses are for the most part dead. I bet really nobody is selling cuz of the market. I mean really how many DJs do you know that is NOW just dying to sell off his collection for $.25 - $.50 per record???

Oh and I HAVE THAT SANDWICHES 12"!@!#!!!!

:shocked..........................................

I can get that Sandwiches promo but dude is asking $200. Don't know if I'd pay that much though plus I have the instrumental LP's they put out so I have that covered.

• Options

Oh and I HAVE THAT SANDWICHES 12"!@!#!!!

Is that the one that says "Fluid" on one side?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I can get that Sandwiches promo but dude is asking $200. Don't know if I'd pay that much though plus I have the instrumental LP's they put out so I have that covered.

If U don't want it, PM me with dudes details - I'll fork out the cash for it. Its the one with "Fluid" and "40 oz"? Is it the test pressing? If Aschrock want to part with his, holla...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

If U don't want it, PM me with dudes details - I'll fork out the cash for it. Its the one with "Fluid" and "40 oz"? Is it the test pressing? If Aschrock want to part with his, holla...

No that ain't the one. The promo just has the Beatnuts logo on the label with Hellraiser remix on the flip. That one you're referring to is a boot i think. A good sounding boot too. Still a good record.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

No that ain't the one. The promo just has the Beatnuts logo on the label with Hellraiser remix on the flip. That one you're referring to is a boot i think. A good sounding boot too. Still a good record.

Then I think you have the sandwiches test press confused with the "fried chicken" promo.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    That's right "Fried Chicken" Thanks I get that mixed up sometimes.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I don't know where you guys are looking though.... I mean 99% of hip-hop vinyl is flooded right now. There are a lot of records that are rare, current and past.... but the vast majority is common (right now).

What you are seeing is just a trend - dealers and collectors think funk, soul, jazz is really hot... they are unloading it because there was a time when nobody cared. Now nobody cares about hip-hop records.... except the Japanese

I don't kow what the hell rare groove is.

So many hip hop DJs from the golden era have been unloading collections in the past 5 years (at least in DC and south). I can't give away DITC 12s that went for $20+ not long ago.

And Jazz dudes don't a give flying fuck about Sareeto or wtf you call it.