Hiphop vinyl VS. all other vinyl raer

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
Do you think Hihop vinyl is more rare than all those rare groove records everyone seems to be after? I've asked this question to close friends before and some of them agree that Hiphop is more rare, others don't. Considering that there are a lot fo Hiphop records I've never seen up for auction or at record shows compared to some of these ultra rare groove records that I see popping up everywhere. My brother found an orginal Billy Wooten LP for $3 bucks in a Virginia store a few years ago and just recently found a mint copy of Sun Ra's "Lanquidity" for $2. Hiphop records to me seem to be more scarce. Am I wrong?

Comments

• all I know is when it comes to getting rid of/selling records I own..hip hop is by far the hardest for me to let go of

• I think it's a matter of being "in the know" and also related to the age of the records. Most hip-hop records date from the mid -late 80's and forward. LP's of this age are less likely to end up at the thrift store. Chances are they have been owned by "record people" since they were pressed and these folks are going to keep them on their shelves or in collector cahnels if they are being sold. It's more rare for a few crates to get dropped of at Goodwill, but not unheard of...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    all I know is when it comes to getting rid of/selling records I own..hip hop is by far the hardest for me to let go of

Me too.

• Its hard to say whats more valuable. But some hip hop records are only pressed up 1,000 or maybe 500 at a time and thats it. Theres only a few hundred copies. All these raer joints were released on semi-real labels who pressed up several thousand at least... IMO

• this is kinda true except for the private press stuff. what rap records are we taking about anyway? how many 12's of the new Ying Yang you think get pressed?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    all I know is when it comes to getting rid of/selling records I own..hip hop is by far the hardest for me to let go of

Me too.

all that means is that you're a hip hopper.

what kind of hip hop stuff are you talking about? sun ra might be easier to find than tootskee & czar mc, but old tribe & juice crew records? that shit is common.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    this is kinda true except for the private press stuff. what rap records are we taking about anyway? how many 12's of the new Ying Yang you think get pressed?

Yeah I ain't talkin about the Ying Yang vinyl. There are a lot of private press Hiphop vinyl too and unreleased promos. I'm talking about the good stuff.

• I don't know where you guys are looking though.... I mean 99% of hip-hop vinyl is flooded right now. There are a lot of records that are rare, current and past.... but the vast majority is common (right now).

What you are seeing is just a trend - dealers and collectors think funk, soul, jazz is really hot... they are unloading it because there was a time when nobody cared. Now nobody cares about hip-hop records.... except the Japanese

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Me too.

all that means is that you're a hip hopper.

what kind of hip hop stuff are you talking about? sun ra might be easier to find than tootskee & czar mc, but old tribe & juice crew records? that shit is common.

I also search for breaks and so I know what's out there compared to the Hiphop shit I'm looking for. The stuff I'm looking for doesn't come around very often if at all.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't know where you guys are looking though.... I mean 99% of hip-hop vinyl is flooded right now. There are a lot of records that are rare, current and past.... but the vast majority is common (right now).

What you are seeing is just a trend - dealers and collectors think funk, soul, jazz is really hot... they are unloading it because there was a time when nobody cared. Now nobody cares about hip-hop records.... except the Japanese

RAER

• ok...what are you looking for?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't know where you guys are looking though.... I mean 99% of hip-hop vinyl is flooded right now. There are a lot of records that are rare, current and past.... but the vast majority is common (right now).

RAER

What is this thread even about?

Dude is just reeling off anecdotal evidence of one sort or another about how he found some non-rap records for cheap, but has been unable to find certain rap titles.

We are now supposed to draw overarching conclusions about the nature of RAER or something?

• TRUE

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    ok...what are you looking for?

I'm looking for a ton of stuff. for starters I'm looking for promo copies of some instrumental albums, a few Pete Rock records, one De La Soul promo album. Many other titles..

• Couple years ago I paid $25 for 93 til Infinity. The next week it came out on a compilation.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

RAER

Dude is just reeling off anecdotal evidence of one sort or another about how he found some non-rap records for cheap, but has been unable to find certain rap titles.

We are now supposed to draw overarching conclusions about the nature of RAER or something?

No this is a subject I posted up for discussion and that's what I'm doing, discussing. If you don't know enough about the subject to participate then don;t get mad at me just move on.

• ok...what are you looking for?

I'm looking for a ton of stuff. for starters I'm looking for promo copies of some instrumental albums, a few Pete Rock records, one De La Soul promo album. Many other titles..

All of that shit was rare when it came out. If you didn't get it then you are gonna be in for a wait. The dudes that have it are not giving it up because they are hip-hop collectors like you.

Most breaks/funk/etc records are 30-40 years old, so the people that initially bought them have held on to them for long enough and are getting on in years and want to unload it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

RAER

You're just being salty for the sake of it

As much as I dislike looking and Biz every day, dude has a point

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

LOL!

"This record was last played circa 1994. It has not left the sleeve since."

that 'golden age clear lake promo' shit is like manufactured rarities - I thought we were talking about real raers here.

On a side note: It would seem to me that some 70s, 80s & 90's local releases will prove to be even raerer than big dollar 60s stuff, think about it - vinyl as a format was on the decline since the 70s, so pressing sizes would naturally be smaller etc.

the real question is: what's out right now that will be valuable in 10, 20 years? probably a cut-out of some sort...

---

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    On a side note: It would seem to me that some 70s, 80s & 90's local releases will prove to be even raerer than big dollar 60s stuff, think about it - vinyl as a format was on the decline since the 70s, so pressing sizes would naturally be smaller etc.

the real question is: what's out right now that will be valuable in 10, 20 years? probably a cut-out of some sort...

This is a good point- generally the records that become valueable are the ones that folks did not anticipate would and got left behind because nobody cared at the time

But you really cannot anticipate what sounds are going to appeal to the collectors of the future...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

This is a good point- generally the records that become valueable are the ones that folks did not anticipate would and got left behind because nobody cared at the time

But you really cannot anticipate what sounds are going to appeal to the collectors of the future...

Silkscreen pic sleeve 45s.

Bam, I never got the 45 from you!! Have trades, quick before you move to that less fashionable zip code!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Manufactured raers? Doesn't matter. I'm not looking for that Clear Lake anyway that record still comes around.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

You're right. Who really knows when a record is going to be rare but I never looked at buying records that way anyway. I buy what I like rare or not.

• Manufactured raers? Doesn't matter. I'm not looking for that Clear Lake anyway that record still comes around.

Right then, you're looking for stuff like "Main Ingredient" Instrumentals and the Japanese "Searchin'" remix 12 and Ghostface "Goodtimes" white label 12" and shit like that right? UK only white vinyl "Shut Em Down Remix" and Big Daddy Kane "Set It Off" 12" and shitz.

You can get it in NYC or London or maybe LA for a high price. It pops on ebay once in a blue moon. It's not just gonna wind up in Amoeba hip-hop section for $5.99. But then again you never know, I swooped the Audio Two "Top billin" orange label remix for $4.99 at Amoeba Berkeley, middle of the afternoon, with tonnes of great hip-hop surrounding it. Everybody rip van winkled.

People are holding on to those things though, man. Give it time.

LOL!

"This record was last played circa 1994. It has not left the sleeve since."

"Damn, I got a few of those - we're rich Ma!!!"

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Manufactured raers? Doesn't matter. I'm not looking for that Clear Lake anyway that record still comes around.

Right then, you're looking for stuff like "Main Ingredient" Instrumentals and the Japanese "Searchin'" remix 12 and Ghostface "Goodtimes" white label 12" and shit like that right? UK only white vinyl "Shut Em Down Remix" and Big Daddy Kane "Set It Off" 12" and shitz.

You can get it in NYC or London or maybe LA for a high price. It pops on ebay once in a blue moon. It's not just gonna wind up in Amoeba hip-hop section for $5.99. But then again you never know, I swooped the Audio Two "Top billin" orange label remix for $4.99 at Amoeba Berkeley, middle of the afternoon, with tonnes of great hip-hop surrounding it. Everybody rip van winkled.

People are holding on to those things though, man. Give it time.

Yes you never know. I've come up plenty of times in the middle of a crowd flippin through the used Hiphop section. Most people don't know if something is rare or care until someone writes about it in a magazine, then everyone wants that record. Like I said I'm not out to just have rare shit for braggin rights, I only buy shit I like. If it happens to be rare, so be it.

• UK only white vinyl "Shut Em Down Remix"

I have one of these for you if your interested, it was part of a series of coloured UK P.E. promos that came in die cut sleeves, if your interested pm me, peas, IM

Most people don't know if something is rare or care until someone writes about it in a magazine or on the internet, then everyone wants that record.

so true.

• I don't know where you guys are looking though.... I mean 99% of hip-hop vinyl is flooded right now. There are a lot of records that are rare, current and past.... but the vast majority is common (right now).

RAER

No this is a subject I posted up for discussion and that's what I'm doing, discussing. If you don't know enough about the subject to participate then don;t get mad at me just move on.

Really, "faux_rillz." Just play your position. You don't know boo about Madlib and I doubt you even had a radio show in college.