SKULL SNAPS DUG UP!

caddiscaddis 26 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Skull Snaps have been dug up (all the original members) and will be playing at the Knitting Factory on December 9th in NYC! This is their first show in over 30 years! There are details for the show at www.ten12records.com or www.knittingfactory.com.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• Skull Snaps have been dug up (all the original members) and will be playing at the Knitting Factory on December 9th in NYC! This is their first show in over 30 years!

There are details for the show in two other threads that you made an hour ago, one in this forum and another in the announcements forum[/b]

• I should fly over there!
    Someone film that ish, just wish I could be there

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ok lil dude question

wasn't skull snaps just a random funk band that had some breaks?

did they have a great musical legacy I don't know about?

• They actually do have a legacy. They are same folks behind the Diplomats, the All Dyrections, etc. Also, Samm Culley (of the Skull Snaps and Diplomats) was also in the Fatback Band. Basically, they fell into the old trick of changing the names of their bands to keep it new and real.

• Skull Snaps have been dug up (all the original members) and will be playing at the Knitting Factory on December 9th in NYC! This is their first show in over 30 years!

There are details for the show at www.ten12records.com or www.knittingfactory.com.

an exciting event for sure, but not quite true, the skullsnaps/puzzles/diplomats
    played in the uk in 2004, and they brought their original skull that lights up
    onto the stage...

• That is not the case. I have the tape from Cleothorpes in the UK, talk to Samm on a weekly basis, etc etc. The went over their with most of the Diplomats members, but they did not bring over the drummer George Bragg SO this show is the first time in over thirty years that the Skull Snaps have played. Also, when Erv and Samm played in the UK they did not play instruments. They had a UK backing band. On December 9th is the first re-union of the entire band.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    another lil dude question. ive always wondered wut the skull sanpes lp is like. is it funk or is it more sweet soul ish?

its a mixture of funk and soul. most people hate on it, but i actually think its pretty awesome

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    its a mixture of funk and soul. most people hate on it, but i actually think its pretty awesome

Who is most people??? It's sort of funk smoothed out on the soul tip with a little bit of psychadelic feel appeal to it. I'm down. Yes and a braek, but the LP is pretty deep.

most people on this site hatt on it.

• I tend to agree that it is more on the soul tip. I would argue to say (with tracks like "I'm Your Pimp" that you could call it late stage Northern Soul.

• eh, I don't remember seeing too many hating on the Snaps.

As I've mentioned before I'm pretty sure it was a sweet/soul collectable long before it was a breakbeat collectable, particularly overseas of course.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    As I've mentioned before I'm pretty sure it was a sweet/soul collectable long before it was a breakbeat collectable, particularly overseas of course.

waah!? i thought Dooley "MR SKULL SNAPS" O discovered the first known copy in 1989?

• chrischris 287 Posts
    eh, I don't remember seeing too many hating on the Snaps.

"i'm your pimp" and "my hang up is you" were huge northern soul spins pretty much as soon as the lp was released.
    so much so that most dj's would even forego their "45s-only" rule and play out the lp (at least until the uk boot 7" came out).

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• Besides the track on the LP and Al's Raazorblade/Ain't That Loving you Grill 7-inch; does anyone know of any other releases they had?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Must come to Toronto.........

All of a sudden has always been one of my favorite tunes.

• That is not the case. I have the tape from Cleothorpes in the UK, talk to Samm on a weekly basis, etc etc. The went over their with most of the Diplomats members, but they did not bring over the drummer George Bragg SO this show is the first time in over thirty years that the Skull Snaps have played. Also, when Erv and Samm played in the UK they did not play instruments. They had a UK backing band. On December 9th is the first re-union of the entire band.

Is this the same Sam and Erv from Sam, Erv & Tom?

• Yes! Sam Culley, Erv Waters and Tom Price aka The Diplomats. Bill Collier was also a member but not on that record I do not think. The difference between the Snaps and Diplomats is the drummer George Bragg who is responsible for the beats on the Skull Snaps album. He first worked with Sam and Erv in his Soul Three bandjust before they invited him to drum on the Diplomats "She;s The One" cut.

As I posted before, Skull Snaps are playing live at Knitting Factory on December 9th in NYC.

• Yes! Sam Culley, Erv Waters and Tom Price aka The Diplomats. Bill Collier was also a member but not on that record I do not think. The difference between the Snaps and Diplomats is the drummer George Bragg who is responsible for the beats on the Skull Snaps album. He first worked with Sam and Erv in his Soul Three bandjust before they invited him to drum on the Diplomats "She;s The One" cut.

As I posted before, Skull Snaps are playing live at Knitting Factory on December 9th in NYC.

They're the vocalists on this record too...

• Wow! I did not know that. How does that recording sound? Uptempo? Mid? Soul? Funkedout? I'm hopping to their practice session today. Thanks for this. I will print it out and show them. They have done so many recordings, everytime I show them something new they flip. Who can I credit this find too?

• Wow! I did not know that. How does that recording sound? Uptempo? Mid? Soul? Funkedout? I'm hopping to their practice session today. Thanks for this. I will print it out and show them. They have done so many recordings, everytime I show them something new they flip. Who can I credit this find too?

Upbeat, funky.

See the whole story here: http://funky16corners.tripod.com/5_philly_sound.htm#fabemotions

Not sure how Sam, Erv and Tom got involved because it's mostly a Philly project.

You can credit it to me...

• I'm listening to it now. The vocal hi and out front is Sam and I think Erv is in the back with Tom. The Diplomats were originally from DC/ Maryland before they made their way up to Conn and NY. I'll ask them about how they got involved.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    They are same folks behind the Diplomats,

oh shit, harlem stand up

okay, back to work...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    They are same folks behind the Diplomats,

oh shit, harlem stand up

okay, back to work...

take that shit to hollertronix dot com

• Haha! The original Diplomats (not the rap group) got their name from either the old street gang or because they were a DC/ Maryland group?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Skull Snaps have been dug up (all the original members) and will be playing at the Knitting Factory on December 9th in NYC! This is their first show in over 30 years!

There are details for the show at www.ten12records.com or www.knittingfactory.com.

whoa... speaking of which.

• The LP is great, "Falling out Of Love with You" is the best tune for me.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts