What ALBUMS you diggin start to finish???

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    by (the mid- to late-70's, the Flamin' Groovies) were wading in retro waters while Punk was exploding everywhere around them. Props for standing their ground, but they were still too early on the "Byrdsy-retro-pop" trend, which wouldn't start gaining ground til the early 80s. By then, they just sucked.

The Groovies, like most power-poppers, were actually accepted by the punk community at first. They were on the Sire label, and SHAKE SOME ACTION (their only LP to make the Billboard pop charts) was released around the same time as the Ramones' first. They even did a few shows together. They weren't exactly in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the music could've used some beefing up.

If the 1970-74 Groovies were transported into the later punk era, heads would have rolled. (I could say the same about Brownsville Station - they were from Detroit and had the rock & roll fever on the real, yet when their last album came out in '78, punk was exploding all over and here they were with this sad-sack heavy metal record.)

So this doesn't look like a thread hijack, here's some more good-all-the-way-through LP's:
    - THE ISAAC HAYES MOVEMENT
    - THAT NIGGER'S CRAZY, Richard Pryor
    - THE LETTER/NEON RAINBOW, Box Tops

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    They weren't exactly in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the music could've used some beefing up.

They were indeed the wrong FLAMIN' GROOVIES at the wrong time, as it were.

Yeah, they did the Ramones' first show at the Roundhouse in the UK as the headliners, but clearly history has left them a footnote because of this fact. I am sure they fit more in the UK pub rock scene than punk by that time, just based on style and obvious age differences.

• Most recently:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    They weren't exactly in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the music could've used some beefing up.

They were indeed the wrong FLAMIN' GROOVIES at the wrong time, as it were.

Yeah, they did the Ramones' first show at the Roundhouse in the UK as the headliners, but clearly history has left them a footnote because of this fact. I am sure they fit more in the UK pub rock scene than punk by that time, just based on style and obvious age differences.

True, they would have, but then again pub-rock IS punk, as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't have punk without pub coming before it. Maybe one was slightly more roots-oriented than the other, but that's really the only difference I hear - the Count Bishops (pub) and the Damned (punk) were all about the same sound, to me. And if Dr. Feelgood (supposed pub-rockers) ain't punk, then Alicia Keys has hair on her teeth. But younger, trendier punk guys would disagree with what I just said, though...

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    The Groovies were a big time in France... Dig it!
    Now who wants their first raer in trade for some disco jamz?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    rapture- anita baker
    low end theory- tribe
    ijuswannasing- musiq
    whats goin on?- marvin gaye
    first goodie mob
    illmatic
    12 play- Kellz
    reasonable doubt- jay z
    2000- grand puba
    first 3 mary j. blige albums
    adriana evans