What ALBUMS you diggin start to finish???

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    some of them are
    Jackie Mittoo - Showcase Volume 3
    Mighty Threes - Africa Shall Stretch Forth Her Hand
    DemonFuzz - Afreaka
    Ahmad Jamal - But Not For Me (live at the Pershing Hotel)
    Mahalia Jackson - Sings Favourite Hymns of MLK
    Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
    New Age Steppers - Action Battlefield
    Stooges - s/t and Funhouse

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I listened to Odyssey/Oracle start to finish on my way into the city (pausing to repeat "Care Of Cell 44" three times) and it's better than most of the shit mentioned in this thread

i'm sure it is dude. but do you really need to come off like this?

carry on peoples.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Funny, a friend of mine just turned me onto this record not last week. I went and saw another friend do a show last month and they did a great cover of "A Rose For Emily".
    As for me lately:

Tommy James - Travellin' (out of nowhere, a GREAT album)
    Judee Sill- S/T

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I listened to Odyssey/Oracle start to finish on my way into the city (pausing to repeat "Care Of Cell 44" three times) and it's better than most of the shit mentioned in this thread

i'm sure it is dude. but do you really need to come off like this?

Have you ever heard it?

I really don't give a fuck how you percieve me as coming off, because it's the truth.

Plus, i will WORK YOU SON.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Heeeeeeeeeey, [I'm gonna] give [you] some more!!!!

-"Solid"-Michael Henderson.
    -"Winter Consort"-Paul Winter.
    -Cosign "Art of Tea".
    -"Moonchild"-Johnny Lytle Trio plus Ray Barretto.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

cosign, great album

cosign, great album

I have heard this described as snoozy. You disagree?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    the popcorn!
    its a mother!
    soft machine..... 2!
    criss cross
    a billion others fuck a one tracker

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Plus, i will WORK YOU SON.

A bonus!

you're a funny dude, really. you act like what you do is epic. I like that part that goes "on my way to going into the city".

I really don't give a fuck how you percieve me as coming off, because it's the truth.

Do you pride yourself on the fact that you come off as a know-it-all asshole?

shoulda known better.

and i'm being too PC. MY BAD.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Let's see there's a plenty:
    - Cannibal OX - Cold Vein
    - Dusty Fingers Volume 10
    - James Brown - Jungle Groove
    - DJ Spinbad - 80's Freesh Mix (or 80's mix Part 2)
    - MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday
    - Jedi Mind Tricks - Legacy of Blood

Uh-oh brain freeze.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

cosign, great album

I have heard this described as snoozy. You disagree?

well it is not "epic"* but it is nice, one song really stands out, i'd give it a listen if i were you

*that line made me laugh out loud

you're a funny dude, really. you act like what you do is epic. I like that part that goes "on my way to going into the city".

Do you pride yourself on the fact that you come off as a know-it-all asshole?

shoulda known better.

and i'm being too PC. MY BAD.

ARGCLEBLBUAUAAG!! FIGHT!! GET PUMPED UP!!!!! YOU'VE BEEN RUNNNING SUICIDE DRILLS AND NOW YOU'RE REAAAAALLY AMPED!!!!

Wee, this is fun! OK... 1, yes I was on the train going into the city... what about that is epic to you? To me it's pretty normal. Seems like you're reading something into that I don't see there guy... the F train is certainly anything but epic.

I can't please everyone.. does it make you feel great to let me know you think I'm an asshole? Is that helpful to you? Then that's cool with me man. I could really care less what you think about me. You've never met me in your life, nor have I you, and I honestly don't even know shit about you except that you take ball really seriously and you like records.

As for the music at hand, I really do believe that the Zombies record is better than a lot of the stuff posted in here, meaning, yes, you should go listen to it! Everyone should (if they haven't recently)! Why would you get mad because I proclaimed the greatness of an album???

LET'S TAKE THIS OUTSIDE THEN!!!!!

seriously though, you're probably a cool dude in the real world. it's just those that don't know you on a personal level, might take your initial comment as a slap in the face. i certainly did.

and Yes, i need to catch up on that Zombies record.

for the record, i respect your knowledge.

(Seacrest) OUT!

the accident has been cleared up peoples! what else is good?!

• Jeff Monn- Reality
    Ronn Matlock- Love City
    Joe Higgs- Life Of Contradictions
    Tim Buckley- Blue Afternoon
    Nancy Sinatra- How Does That Grab You??

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Haven't listened to these lately, but these are definitely start-to-finish records for me:

SWAMP DOGG - Total Destruction To Your Mind
    SWAMP DOGG - I'm Not Selling Out/I'm Buying In!
    SWAMP DOGG - Surfin' In Harlem
    ROY C. - Sex & Soul
    FLAMIN' GROOVIES - Teenage Head
    CHARLES BEVEL - Meet Mississippi Charles Bevel
    WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
    JOE TEX - Happy Soul
    ANDRE WILLIAMS - Silky
    GORIES - I Know You Fine But How You Doin'
    RAIDERS - Collage
    BLACK HEAT - No Time To Burn
    MARVIN GAYE - Here My Dear
    BLASTERS - American Music

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Love these LPs.

Pick, do you have this FG classic?:

to me, these two are kind of complimentary book-ends to each other....Teenage Head is the better overall listen, no doubt, but "Headin' for the Texas Border" and "Second Cousin" are just so manic and ROCK, that it comes a close second.
    the Groovies are one of the great permanently obscur-o rock journalist darlings. Forever on the margins of the accepted rock history.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Got both those Groovies LPs. True, nobody's heard of them except rock journalists and record geeks, but IMO, they are absolutely classic and essential pieces of the rock history puzzle. When the early 70s were dominated by high-concept prog rock, the Groovies reminded the world that a 3 minute slab of r'n'b-based teenage abandon was still where it at.

Pick, do you have this FG classic?:

to me, these two are kind of complimentary book-ends to each other....Teenage Head is the better overall listen, no doubt, but "Headin' for the Texas Border" and "Second Cousin" are just so manic and ROCK, that it comes a close second.
    the Groovies are one of the great permanently obscur-o rock journalist darlings. Forever on the margins of the accepted rock history.

Yes, I do. Matter of fact, that was the first Groovies LP I ever bought, and was disappointed that the other albums on Epic and Sire didn't measure up to the same standards. The reason I didn't list FLAMINGO as a classic front-to-back album is because of this incredibly limp ballad that stinks up the second side like a fart in an elevator. I'm talking about "She's Falling Apart." Otherwise, the Groovies were riding HIGH when they were recording for Kama Sutra.

As you might know, they started out doing this kinda goodtimey, Lovin' Spoonful, jugband kinda thing (on the SUPERSNAZZ album - still rockin', but a little too "cute"). I understand that when they played Detroit around 1970 and got a load of the MC5 and others, that's when the light bulb went on over their heads and they went for a high-energy sound. That's why FLAMINGO and TEENAGE HEAD had such an edge. For the mellow times of 1970-71, that is saying something.

• kozzkozz 17 Posts

EXUMA!!!!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

And one of the few CD's I truly champion is the issue of this, which features like 8 bonus tracks, all in-studio covers of shit like "Carol" and "Louie Louie," plus one original instro. Well worth picking up, one of those "what CD's were made for" deals along the lines of The Who and Kinks CD's that came out a few years ago loaded with extras.

The liner notes talk about the making of this record, too, about how it was the hip place to be in NYC for a few weeks, with any rocker coming through town stopping by, including the Stones, who supposedly felt a little heat from this LP and stepped up their game in response, although it seems to me the Groovies were playing catch up with the Stones, not vice-versa (although I like Teenage Head probably better all the way through as much if not more than any Stones record of the time, except for maybe Beggars Banquet).

IMO Teenage Head blows Flamingo away, although they are both great LP's.

And one of the few CD's I truly champion is the issue of this, which features like 8 bonus tracks, all in-studio covers of shit like "Carol" and "Louie Louie," plus one original instro. Well worth picking up, one of those "what CD's were made for" deals along the lines of The Who and Kinks CD's that came out a few years ago loaded with extras.

The liner notes talk about the making of this record, too, about how it was the hip place to be in NYC for a few weeks, with any rocker coming through town stopping by, including the Stones, who supposedly felt a little heat from this LP and stepped up their game in response, although it seems to me the Groovies were playing catch up with the Stones, not vice-versa

As much as I love STICKY FINGERS, I'd say the Groovies have the edge...they were rootsier, more direct...what we'd later call "punk."

What I'm axin' is...where did all that damn talent GO?? After a few random 45's, around 1976 they turned into a limp power pop band (although "Shake Some Action" is a great song, probably their last classic moment).

• ptq28ptq28 38 Posts
    Express Rising- s/t
    City and Colour- The Death of Me EP (sometime you have to be emo)
    Molasses- Madness EP
    Chastity OST (No joke, some of the LP sucks but Motel II is my shit)
    Buck 65- Hands on Approach (a tape of Buck laying down some of his beats, as of now, Buck is my favorite solo MC)
    Lovage instrumental versions

Can't wait to listen to the soundtrack to that new Jet Li flick Unleashed..Scored by RZA and Massive Attack! Should be an interesting listen.

• FLAMIN' GROOVIES - Teenage Head

The liner notes talk about the making of this record, too, about how it was the hip place to be in NYC for a few weeks, with any rocker coming through town stopping by, including the Stones, who supposedly felt a little heat from this LP and stepped up their game in response, although it seems to me the Groovies were playing catch up with the Stones, not vice-versa

As much as I love STICKY FINGERS, I'd say the Groovies have the edge...they were rootsier, more direct...what we'd later call "punk."

What I'm axin' is...where did all that damn talent GO?? After a few random 45's, around 1976 they turned into a limp power pop band (although "Shake Some Action" is a great song, probably their last classic moment).

Roy Loney left the band after Teenage Head.

I knew that...his own solo rekkids are hit and miss, but I'd take him over what's left of the Groovies.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Roy Loney left, the rythym guitarist (Tim something, guy who sang "..Texas Border") was arrested and jailed for draft dodging, and I think the drummer Danny Mimh left too. Ony bassist George Alexander and main Groovie Cyril Jordan remained into the mid-70s line up. So the twin guitar attack was gone, the heavy drums, and the distinctive vocals. Poof. Granted, Chris Wilson brought something to the later "power-pop" Groovies, but by that point they were wading in retro waters while Punk was exploding everywhere around them. Props for standing their ground, but they were still too early on the "Byrdsy-retro-pop" trend, which wouldn't start gaining ground til the early 80s. By then, they just sucked.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

i've got a Flaming Groovies LP called "Still Shaking" that has those live in the studio jams.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

Lee Hazlewood - Trouble is a Lonesome Town - Mercury[/b]
    ...the original "concept album?" probably...pre-dates all that British Invasion stuff, and Lee narrates between intertwined tracks this tale of a town full of lovers and losers. Amazing start to finish, except the last track on each side of my LP has a hole punched through it

Agreed!!!!

Here's a few from me;

Marvin - what's going on
    Eddie Kendricks - People Hold On
    ramones - st & live 77
    velvets - st
    buzzcocks debut
    coltrane - love supreme

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    got a spare of the Flamin Groovies debut 10". Anyone?