SOUL MAKOSSA : How many covers ?

PapaFluckPapaFluck 10 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Classic bomb Manu Dibango's SOUL MAKOSSA still makes me wanna dance years after years.Exist, to my knowledge, the Lafayette Afro Rock Band cover and Mandingo one,curiously re-titled "the Headhunter".Both are .Anybody knows others, Dope or shit...?

Comments

• one exists on a "fania live" record... it's a blue cover w/ red letters...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    there are like millions.

• Doc Severinsen from the tonight show covers it on one of his albums.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    This is a nice version:

Pulled this when we unearthed the CES basement. Tons of weird island/CA shit if anyone is interested.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Some covers:

Afrique;
    Bill "Ravi" Harris & The Prophets;
    The Gaytones;
    Lafayette Rock Band;
    Spiers;
    Rod Hunter;
    Jablonski.

Peace

• there are like millions.
    Have to be in Guinness book !

• yeah, theres too many to count. Here's a Steel Drum Version

And the Pickwick Soul Makossa album version is pretty good.

• I like Brent Dowe's - Reggae Makossa i have it on this Madlib comp "blunted in the bombshelter"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    olatunji does a cover.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the mighty tom cats do one as well i think.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    the mighty tom cats do one as well i think.

I asked about this on here but obviously there aren't enough Real Headz (it was another of my zero respnse thraed classics)

I have similarly scratchy copies of both 45s, I played them together and they are identical apart from the EQ. Can anyone confirm that this is just a Winley boot of a DJ classic?

2 x makossa

• this lil' NO funk band called Los Muchos

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    These are the cover versions I have:

45s:

AFRIQUE
    Soul Makossa/Hot Mud (Mainstream 73)
    I???ve been looking for Afrique???s LP so I was happy to find this 45. As you can tell, it???s a cover of Manu Dibango???s Soul Makossa which was something of a hit the year before. Afrique???s version is a little faster than the original and a nice cover. Hot Mud has a nice funky beginning but the keyboard is turned up too much in the mix for my liking and distracts from the song.

JABLONSKI
    Soul Makossa (Part 1 & 2) (Randys)
    I thought I???d heard the best of Soul Makossa, but I think the Jablonski???s version takes the cake. None of the covers that I???ve heard really change the original music that much, so it???s really the little things that make the difference. On this version, there is a funky female chorus chanting ???Do it, Soul Makossa??? and other added ditties that make this stand out from the rest. There???s also a little conga beginning and a little more emphasis on the second part of the main versus that give it a little Latin feel as well.

MIGHTY TOM CATS
    Soul Makossa/Tom Cat Reggay (Winley)
    The Mighty Tom Cats were the house band for the infamous Paul Winley and his Winley Records. The A-side is a cover of Manu Dibango???s Soul Makossa played pretty straight forward. The flipside, despite the name, sounds more like a calypso song than a Reggae tune. It???s not very good, but it does start off with some drum hits.

NAIROBI AFRO BAND/JAMAICA PLAYBOYS
    Soul Makossa (No. 1)/Makossa Reggae (Town Hall One Stop)
    Nairobi Afro Band???s version of Soul Makossa starts off with a light percussion beat and a flute holding down the main melody. While sticking mostly to the original arrangement, the band adds a flute solo and some heavy percussive guitar and organ work surrounding it to finish off the song. The flip by the Jamaica Playboys is a Reggae takeoff of Soul Makossa with some nice horn work.

STATLER RECORDS
    Light Up The Town Medley/Soul Makossa Medley (Statler)
    Statler Records apparently released this 45 to be used for dance instruction purposes. Light Up The Town Medley is made up of pop tunes. There???s actually a drum break followed by the bass in the middle that shows the band could get down. That???s followed up with a drum break at the beginning of Soul Makossa that???s given a much more spacey take than usual. The one draw back is the female-male vocals during the chorus are off key.

LPs:

Afrique - Soul Makossa

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=A&page=3

Fania All Stars - Latin-Soul-Rock

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=F

Ghana Soul Explosion - Soul Makossa

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=G&page=3

Babatunde Olatunji - Soul Makossa

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=O

Doc Severinsen - Rhapsody For Now

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=O

Superdudes - Super Bad!

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=S&page=13

Ventures - Only Hits

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=V&page=3

Nairobi as well.

• I dig the Jablonski too, but damn what a noisy press my copy is...

• BLOWFLY version is hot too. peace, stein. . .

• Options
    The song is the Bob/Wailers rendition of African music. I couldn't care less if I ever heard it again.

K.

MIGHTY TOM CATS
    The Mighty Tom Cats were the house band for the infamous Paul Winley and his Winley Records. The A-side is a cover of Manu Dibango???s Soul Makossa played pretty straight forward. The flipside, despite the name, sounds more like a calypso song than a Reggae tune. It???s not very good, but it does start off with some drum hits.

By "played pretty straight forward" do you mean "identical instruments, tempo, and echo FX such that you can play it side by side with the Manu 45 and achieve perfect phasing?"? Coz that's what it sounds like to me.

Where does it say that the Mighty Tom Cats were a house band with real people in it?

• Options
    I know it does say that Paul Winley was less than honest...somewhere.

K.

• Quite honestly, I gotta throw my two point one cents in... The track annoys the hell out of me regardless who did/covered it.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• Quite honestly, I gotta throw my two point one cents in... The track annoys the hell out of me regardless who did/covered it.

as for me, the only version you need is manu dibango's because there's a high-pitched lick he plays on the sax at one point. in the other versions, the sax guy always fucks it up.

• There is also a great cover of Soul Makossa by the All Dyrections. On the flip side of this Buddah release is another great joint called On Top Of It.

The All Dyrections were Samm Culley, Ervan Waters, and the drummer George Bragg. The interesting thing is that these guys are....are...the SKULL SNAPS and recorded that version of Soul Makossa when they were also the SKULL SNAPS.

As an aside, Samm Culley and Erv Water from the SKULL SNAPS are also of the Diplomats. They cut their first funk cut "She's The One" before disbanding and becoming the SKULL SNAPS.

The Skull Snaps will be playing live for the first time in over 30 years at the Knitting Factory NYC on December 9th. More info can be found at http://www.ten12records.com

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Quite honestly, I gotta throw my two point one cents in... The track annoys the hell out of me regardless who did/covered it.

Quite honestly, I gotta throw my two point one cents in... The track annoys is one of my all-time favourite tunes and it's story is one of my all-time favourite stories about the history of dj-ing.

• johnny zamot

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

MIGHTY TOM CATS

By "played pretty straight forward" do you mean "identical instruments, tempo, and echo FX such that you can play it side by side with the Manu 45 and achieve perfect phasing?"? Coz that's what it sounds like to me.

Where does it say that the Mighty Tom Cats were a house band with real people in it?

Like you, I actually just thought Winley ripped the track and renamed it, but then someone argued with me and said there's actually some differences so I took a step back. Better to be safe I thought when writing the review.

As for the Mighty Tom Cats, I heard they were just studio musicians.

BAN!!!

• asfasf 15 Posts
    does anyone know what this version?

• Also add Grupo Guerra 78 on Discolando.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    also Byron Lee and the Dragoniares "Reggay Makossa"