SOUL MAKOSSA : How many covers ?

2»

Comments

• And the Simon Kenyatta Troupe on Avco...

• soufriere1 said:
    I know it does say that Paul Winley was less than honest...somewhere.

K.
    what ended up happening with this crackhead? did anyone ever get their records? was there any vindication?

btw- i read somewhere that manu dibango failed to register the copyright properly which is why there was such a slew of covers at one point...by the time mj incorporated that "mama see mamma sa" part i think he started to get serious about getting paid. i think mj ended up agreeing to pay him off after the fact.

this is what wikipedia says:

"Soul Makossa" [...] is often cited as one of the first disco records.[2] In 1972 David Mancuso found a copy in a Brooklyn West Indian record store and often played it at his Loft parties.[3] The response was so positive that the few copies of "Soul Makossa" in New York City were quickly bought up.[3] The song was subsequently played heavily by Frankie Crocker, who DJed at WBLS, then New York's most popular black radio station.[3] Since the original was then unfindable, at least 23 groups quickly released cover versions to capitalize on the demand for the record.[3] Atlantic eventually licensed the song from the French record label Fiesta.[3] Their release of it peaked at #35 on the Billboard chart in 1973; in 1999 Dave Marsh wrote that it was "the only African record by an African" to crack the top 40.[4] At one point there were nine different versions of the song in the Billboard chart.[5] It became "a massive hit" internationally as well.[5]

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I just heard a Canadian one the other day by some shmaltzy dude from the CBC, it was a buttclencher so I didn't keep his name in my memory bank.

• The_Non said:
    I just heard a Canadian one the other day by some shmaltzy dude from the CBC, it was a buttclencher so I didn't keep his name in my memory bank.

i beleive it is guido basso on ctl and it is truly awful.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Nah, that's a memorable name. I wanna say it's some guy named Lefevre or something.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    Also add Grupo Guerra 78 on Discolando.

that version rules...

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    The_Non said:

Milan Kymlicka ?

http://www.rootdownrecords.jp/catalog/milan-kymlicka-im-coming-home.html

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'm a fan of this one: "Soul Makossa"