your thoughts on "MASH UPS"

marskeeemarskeee 66 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i noticed this "style" of djing has gotten very popular lately...seems like everyone is doing it...but in the end it all sounds the same...same 80's rock, pop, hip hop..blah blah blah...what yall think?

Comments

• I think it's lame when they call a mash up a "remix"... like they've actually had some creative input... all they've done is beatmatched the acapella for Still Tippin with the beat for 93 till Infinity or something...weak sauce...

• Passing fad that I hope ends very soon. Blends, no problem, "Mash-up's" horrible.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    all they've done is beatmatched the acapella for Still Tippin with the beat for 93 till Infinity or something...weak sauce...

great example, you should do that.

I think it's lame when they call a mash up a "remix"... like they've actually had some creative input...

totally

"Mash-up" has this connotation of irony - mixing wacky pop music with a gangster rap acapella, or metal with crunk or whatever - that not everyone wants to be associated with.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I think it's the hipster appropriation of the concept that most people object to, and the tendency of that mindset to reduce things that can still be interesting and creative to the level of an ironic joke. People talk about it like it's something new, when any DJ with an acappella on one turntable, an instrumental on the other, and a little imagination has probably tried something similar at some point, and long before anyone ever thought to coin the term "mash-up" either. Difference now is that technology's just made it easier to do more sophisticated (but not always) and more musical (but not always) variations on what were called blends fifteen years ago. There's a lot of shitty mashup-type records out there, but I still hear some inspired efforts now and again.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I think it's the European appropriation of the concept that most people object to

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    People talk about it like it's something new, when any DJ with an acappella on one turntable, an instrumental on the other, and a little imagination has probably tried something similar at some point, and long before anyone ever thought to coin the term "mash-up" either.

right- everyones done this before. but the pop novelty has worn off, I suppose, Like reality TV (or maybe that's just my reaction). It's just a format, and no longer instant fire. Bad mashups are equivalent to really bad mixes...

And mashups is a god awful name, as nebulous as the term 'dj'...doesn't speak at all to the quality of the content.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I think it started (and should have stopped) with Z-Trips & DJ-P's 'un-easy listening' mix cd.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah that Mashup shit is wack. Most of the ones I've heard have some random Hiphop vocals that don't match the sound of the tune they throw behind it. i can't take no more. Some remixes are the same way. The vocals will be slightly off and that shit is nasty.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    People talk about it like it's something new, when a lot of us DJ's are starting out we try to mix everything we can[/b]

Yes, mash-ups are nothing new at all - that's my main beef. People flip when they hear a DJ create one like its something never done - when people been doin that shit for years, hell decades. We were doin that shit over 10 years ago. We only had like 2 crates so we would just mix EVERYTHING we could on some stupidness....

Overall - some are good and some are lame, its all personal choice. And now, even reflecting on what I just wrote, to some listeners its the first time they've ever heard a mash-up - so maybe I heard it years and years ago but to them its brand-f*cking-new......

• all they've done is beatmatched the acapella for Still Tippin with the beat for 93 till Infinity or something...weak sauce...

I think it's lame when they call a mash up a "remix"... like they've actually had some creative input...

totally

"Mash-up" has this connotation of irony - mixing wacky pop music with a gangster rap acapella, or metal with crunk or whatever - that not everyone wants to be associated with.

Haha sorry, it just gets annoying when there's some beat post and someone says "check out my remix" and you play it and all it is is another instrumental that someone else made under the acapella, i mean hardly a skill really, go through a few records find an instrumental that fits, job done. Not knocking your hustle though cause i know how the hipsters love that sort of thing, it's just not for me...i like to hear stuff that i couldn't imagine making, as opposed to something that i could go and replicate in about 10 seconds...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    can we stop using the word "hipsters" already? it is even less descriptive than "mash-ups"

• haha sweet..thanks for yalls input..i wasnt sure what to think of it..it just seemed to me like some type of fad in club djing at the moment...but its good to hear what yall think since i value your guys' opinions ...

• all they've done is beatmatched the acapella for Still Tippin with the beat for 93 till Infinity or something...weak sauce...

totally

Haha sorry, it just gets annoying when there's some beat post and someone says "check out my remix" and you play it and all it is is another instrumental that someone else made under the acapella, i mean hardly a skill really, go through a few records find an instrumental that fits, job done. Not knocking your hustle though cause i know how the hipsters love that sort of thing, it's just not for me...i like to hear stuff that i couldn't imagine making, as opposed to something that i could go and replicate in about 10 seconds...

ahh, but if you didn't think of it yourself then it is too easy.
    I know what you are trying to say but part of being skilled as a producer/DJ is to have the ear to know what works, even if it is perfectly simple.

Remixes (or whatever) are awesome, when done correctly.

• awallawall 673 Posts

Haha sorry, it just gets annoying when there's some beat post and someone says "check out my remix" and you play it and all it is is another instrumental that someone else made under the acapella

this has never happened.

also, a lot of you people obviously aren't djs.

• awallawall 673 Posts

Remixes (or whatever) are awesome, when done correctly.

• Yes, this has happened, people posting blends as remixes... it's all good though, i like them when done well, such as the DJ Spinbad - Hip Hop Vs Rap remix... i am a DJ too, but i'm not sure what relevance that has...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Blends, no problem, "Mash-up's" horrible.

• I only play a lot of diffrent songs because I can't play 100 CMW or DJ Quik records back to back. I guess I could work in a D.O.C. record once in a while but for real, he only put one album out before his voice got jacked, so that kind of limits that. Maybe a D.O.C. vocal over some Foster Sylvers. Or like MC EIHT over some Detroit Emeralds or Isaac Hayes. Or maybe a mashup of KRS-One over Deep Purple or AC/DC. What do you guys think? I think we might be onto somethin with this new mash up concept. But this is the best yet what if we make a mash up remix with Run DMC and Aerosmith?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    is it called a "blend" when you do it yourself and a "mashup" when you play a pre-made blend? in that case i have never played a mashup.

• But this is the best yet what if we make a mash up remix with Run DMC and Aerosmith?

sounds like a plan...i hope nobody has done it yet!

• is it called a "blend" when you do it yourself and a "mashup" when you play a pre-made blend? in that case i have never played a mashup.

That's what i thought as well... never played a mashup, things like those Satanik Mash Up series are corny...

• I like 'em with lots of butter and a touch of garlic.

• But this is the best yet what if we make a mash up remix with Run DMC and Aerosmith?

sounds like a plan...i hope nobody has done it yet!

That's the new ish right thurr.

• I really dont understand the hate. Part of being a dj is having the newest and dj only shit. Everybody loves remixes, everybody loves different takes on familiar songs. This is what this shit has always been about as far back as I can remember. Its just a case of "oh now that it blew up, its corny."

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I liek all the Earl Stuff
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• I really dont understand the hate. Part of being a dj is having the newest and dj only shit. Everybody loves remixes, everybody loves different takes on familiar songs. This is what this shit has always been about as far back as I can remember. Its just a case of "oh now that it blew up, its corny."

Hmm, nah, i like it when a DJ does it live, but i think those pre made ones are corny...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    a lot of you have obviously not gone to a party and danced with girls in a while.....

• There's a lot of stuff that girls dance to other than "mash-ups"...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah well girls will dance to anything as long as it has a beat.