Favorite Praise while DJing!!!

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
What feels better when djing.............Praise from:Music Hipster/knowledgable catHot chic on the dancefloor who really gets itOld School cat who didnt think you knew about thatYoung cat who's wants to know what record that izFeel free to add or just pick ONE, along w/ a story to tell.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    What feels better when djing.............

Praise from:

Hot chic

• can I get your number

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Praise from:

Hot chic

That's what got me into dj'ing in the first place.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Praise from:

Hot chic on the dancefloor who really gets it

Old School cat who didnt think you knew about that

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hot Hipster's who want to know what record that iz

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    It's his last one: Halle-fuckin-lujah!

ha, not reeeeeally.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hot Hipsters

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Praise from:

Music Hipster/knowledgable cat

Hot chic on the dancefloor who really gets it

Young cat who's wants to know what record that iz

Feel free to add or just pick ONE, along w/ a story to tell.

Actually its kind of "all the above" - the honey's, c'mon, that's always nice! Fellow DJ's/music heads/old school heads giving respect is always cool too. But for me its just people really vibin when I play. I used to DJ these backyard bbq's for a cousin of mine (actually my mom's cousin). Everyone was in their 40's/50's (crazy right?), BUT all I played was funk & soul - ALL NIGHT. Nothing rare, but solid shit all night and the people really grooved to it. King Floyd, James Brown, Beginning of the End, Dyke & The Blazers, Archie Bell, Blackbyrds and so on. People didn't really dance they just head nodded and gave me a thumbs up or wink (no homo) when I dropped another track. I DJ'd like 4 or 5 times about once a month but it was straight "good times" up in there... For me I don't necessarily need to have people dancin but just having a good friggin time...

• [quoteFor me I don't necessarily need to have people dancin but just having a good friggin time...

Truer words have never been spoken my friend. I love playing places where it is not always about every person shaking on the floor, but cool heads that are looking to hear quality stuff, have a good time. I love playing in cresendos. Starting off with good vibes, picking up the pace from there. By the 2nd hour rolls around, you have the place going into a frenzy, then when things are at a fever pitch, pull the rug from under them. I mean it all depends on the situaton though. If you are playing a places that is stricly looking to dance, then you have to stick to that, and when the crowd trusts you, then stat throwing curvebals.

It still kind of confuses me as to if a good beat is known or not, it is still a good beat. People should understand that notion regardless of popularity.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I like:

"Hey, I'll pay you double if you spin at my club"

but that never seems to happen to me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    chicks dancing and/or saying they like what you???re playing ??? they???re the true yardstick of how good a party is
    people who come in for the drinks or wander in off the street and stay til the end
    REWIND!
    hitting the tables and/or walls
    whistling
    praise from people in their 50???s and older and especially when they slow dance

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    While playing Grant Green's version of "It's Your Thing":

Earnest Random dude: "You are the greatest DJ I have ever seen!"

Me: "Thanks, but you need to get out more."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    praise from people in their 50???s and older and especially when they slow dance

YES

• when girls ask if you have mixtapes because they want to take you home...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My payment in full wired to my bank account before i even put the first record on.

when girls ask if you have mixtapes because they want to take you home...

This woman asked if I could move in w/ her and be her personal live-in DJ,somethin'like a personal chef. I actually thought about it. She wakes up and I play some ________________.

• Options
    Old school Dj you grew up to listening to on the radio and going to his jams

"I didn't one song you play tonight, But DAMN those some good tunes"

My reply was that he raised me right.

K.

• "You sure you don't got any black blood in you?" from a 40ish black guy.

"This is the best music at wedding ever!" at this wedding I djed 3 weeks ago.

The bride remembered me from when I did house parties and a radio show at Penn State from 1997-1999, googled me 9 months ago and found my email on my soulstrut dj page, flew me and my gf down to St. Petersburg and put us up in a hotel for 2 nights, and paid me as well. Turns out about ten of her friends all listened to my (and Raj's) show religiously and even traded tapes of it for years afterwards, and they all had this memory of this house party one of them had where I played all night, and people stayed even after the 3 kegs were kicked. I didn't really remember it, but that was probably due to the jello shots they were handing out.
    So, that was flattering.
    I must say though, the ice luge was pretty tough competition for attention.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Oh ya, and getting flown in to DJ -

I do my first one next year (hopefully it all works out)...

• quoteFor me I don't necessarily need to have people dancin but just having a good friggin time...

Very true indeed, although it's fun to see people dance to the music you're playing (got to admit, most of the times I spin, there's only a handful of people dancin', while the rest is just knodding their heads).

It still kind of confuses me as to if a good beat is known or not, it is still a good beat. People should understand that notion regardless of popularity.

Yeah, maybe they should, but more often it seems the case they don't (except for maybe five or six people), always get more reaction from a sampled or more wellknown (james brown f.e.) tune..

I like all comments, but these are my favourite:

comment from the girl: very good for the ego..
    comment from a good dj: maybe silly, but I like to get recognition from people who I 'looked up to' when I was younger or who I like to hear spinning..
    comment from the older knowledgable guy: these guys always are surprised that someone still knows and plays that kind of music and then start to tell stories about when they were going out and about certain clubs that played the same type of music.

also very nice: the house dj's who come to the dj booth to ask what's playing (we mostly open up for house dj's at these particular parties where we spin till 1 or 2 am), they're always shocked at how blatantly these houseproducers copied some of these discosongs.. Then a few hours later we hear some of the records we played but then with a somewhat more accentuated beat (good thing about these deephouseversions is they let the corny parts out though).

One of the most surprising comments came from this schwarzenegger nazi-type bomberjack-wearing bouncer at a club we were spinning. He came up to the booth a couple of times to give us a thumbs up and claimed he had never before heard that type of music (funk, boogie, latin,..), which he liked very much.

Id say getting love/recognition from a old cat really makes me think I've done my homework along w/ good taste.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    one time a guy asked me if i made mixed tapes, i said sure. he asked me if i could make it at is his house. i said no.

when girls ask if you have mixtapes because they want to take you home...

hah! i think in your case, this request is more charming.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I must say though, the ice luge was pretty tough competition for attention.

at the wedding?!

• What feels better when djing.............

Praise from:

This is about the only kind of praise you get in Memphis.

• person mouthing words: oh shit!

• On Halloween I was playing bhangra and electro on CDJs I wasn't familiar with, one of whose displays was so dim I could barely see it. Beatmatching should have been easy but under the circumstances I was just sloppy as hell for the first half of it. After my first 30 minute set (there were 3 other DJs in rotation), I got a beer and was stopped by this Russian guy named Dmitri at the bar. Here he is:

"Man, I just wanted to say your set was incredible. I have never heard you before but you are one of the most professional DJs I have heard in this town. The only other DJ who is as good is P--e. He is DJing my party in a few weeks and I want you to do it too. It will be awesome. Do you have a card?"

Of course, "P--e" is a local Spanish electro/techno CD DJ who is a very nice guy but a real amateur who can barely beatmatch, which leads me to believe that

No. No good DJs in Russia.

• My personal favorite was when I was playing a party at SUNY Purchase & this fly little Flip comes up to the booth and gives me 2 condoms and a kiss.
    That was a good night.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Probably when nobody even comes up to the booth because they're too busy dancing.

• "great gig. here's your money" all the praise i need.
    peace, stein. . .

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    "great wig. here's your monkey" all the praise i need.
    peace, stein. . .