Serato vs buying vinyl...

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Alright, here's the dea;: I was checking out the post on CDJ 800 and Serato. I happen to have both (love my toys) but I LOVE the physical aspect of searching for vinyl MORE. Scrolling through playlists and searching for MP3s just doesn't have the same exciting feel of looking for and flipping a 12"....I base my preference on the fact that I learned with vinyl only, and therefore the "search" became my motormemory preference...but scrolling is not the same as sifting through a crate. period.
Oh, and I buy records because I love the music on them and I DJ. Now that I have Serato, I'll probably buy fewer records, but that's a good thing. It'll give me more time to listen to the ones I already own.
This is a good point, but I will never stop buying vinyl...vs

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I don't even wanna post in this thread.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    huh?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    huh?

• I was mixing recs today and after knowingly mixing the last song my fingers furiously flipped for the next...

no, no serato here

• Really though, Serato is the nail in the coffin for vinyl.

• never used serato but i heard it was aiight.I think i will always stick to vinyl.

• i think serato is cool for the ones who have to travel a lot..but theres no better feeling than finding that piece of vinyl that you been lookin for forever...i dont get that excited when i find the mp3..

• itunes ain't digging.

• Really though, Serato is the nail in the coffin for vinyl.

Truth. DJing saved vinyl for a long time. Now that you can scratch megabytes, there's no need for vinyl at all.

And for those who say that you love vinyl and will always DJ with it, you probably will.

Newcomers won't.

A day is rapidly approaching where DJs will completely bypass traditional turntables and will cut their skills on Serato, etc. from the start. And that will be the end of it.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I think Serato is dope for the traveling artist/DJ cause with all the bullshit you have to go through in the airport and on the plane, and teh weight of vinyl for the traveler is a hassle. Plus there's a high risk of losing your vinyl while traveling so for that Serato is the shit. But I will always buy and play vinyl. Serato isn't even a thought right now and to see a local DJ spinning CD's or using Serato live instead of records cause their too lazy to take two hours worh of music to the club or a show is bullshit. I don't want to see that. Might as well stay home or atleast change your name on the flyer to MP3J(Fill in the blank) so I know what I'm getting into .

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    MP3J(Fill in the blank)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    MP3J(Fill in the blank)

MP3J Mark The 192k King.

There's a lot of collections getting sold off right now by people who might regret it in the future but it's not my place to point this out to them.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    There's a lot of collections getting sold off right now by people who might regret it in the future but it's not my place to point this out to them.
    game recognize game....
    can we get a creative graemlin for that phrase by the way?
    gNAT

• Best thing about Serato is that you can still use all the vinyl all you want, along with the MP3s. I love it because it doesn't cut the original vinyl out of the loop like a CDJ.

I definitely agree that flipping through MP3s is nothing like looking through a crate. I have to strain to think about every track on there, where as just one look at the record sleeve and I have a perfect recollection of what that shit sounds like. Something about the artwork, or the kami spirits...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Its great for records that you would never be able to afford. Or to save on wearing out the exspensive 1s u do have. I think it also opens up alot of doors for scratchable stuff aswell as you can pretty much use any sound you can get your hands on.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Its great for records that you would never be able to afford. Or to save on wearing out the exspensive 1s u do have. I think it also opens up alot of doors for scratchable stuff aswell as you can pretty much use any sound you can get your hands on.

thats true, but in terms of performance, nothing beats a dj flippin through crates, cueing records, quickmixing (changing records quickly) and so on...i djed in prague and the crowd response was totally different to the dj b4 me (tuco, watup)...also i was standing in the crowd with his brother while he was doing his final scratch set and his brother looked at me and said: "Looks like my brother is checking emails in between songs"

but apart from that, I can only say, the two will coexist I think. Nothing beats the possibilities u get with Final Scratch/Serato...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Trust me guys, its Game over.

Record collecting will survive cause people love records. I love records. They are immensely fun to collect. But for the working dj? I predict mabye 3 more years at maximum.

you think mp3 dj's are lame, how long until they can effectively give your job to a robot or something? Not long. Good thing the apocalypse is coming soon.

• thats true, but in terms of performance, nothing beats a dj flippin through crates, cueing records, quickmixing (changing records quickly) and so on...

ehh, how many djs are actually "performing"? most of us are in a booth somewhere and although people are dancing to the music, if they are not dj nerds, they are looking at ass, not us. as far as quickmixing goes...i guarantee you can mix into a record just as quick with serato's cuepoints then you could with a record with some tape on it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I thought I had Serato once. It turned out to be Scabies.

• I think Vinyl will always be more reliable.

• Serato isn't even a thought right now and to see a local DJ spinning CD's or using Serato live instead of records cause their too lazy to take two hours worh of music to the club or a show is bullshit. I don't want to see that. Might as well stay home or atleast change your name on the flyer to MP3J(Fill in the blank) so I know what I'm getting into .

You also think that Jay Z is a bullshit artist, so if you show up at Milk some night and see some dude in the booth with a Vanguard Squad sticker on his laptop (that'd be me), prepare to be disappointed (while the rest of the club actually enjoys their evening).

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Serato isn't even a thought right now and to see a local DJ spinning CD's or using Serato live instead of records cause their too lazy to take two hours worh of music to the club or a show is bullshit. I don't want to see that. Might as well stay home or atleast change your name on the flyer to MP3J(Fill in the blank) so I know what I'm getting into .

You also think that Jay Z is a bullshit artist, so if you show up at Milk some night and see some dude in the booth with a Vanguard Squad sticker on his laptop (that'd be me), prepare to be disappointed (while the rest of the club actually enjoys their evening).

Did I ever once say Jay Z was a "bullshit" artists? Were those my exact words? I have some Jay Z records. He's not my favorite I'll admit but I never said what you're claiming. Do you work for the tabloids or are you just a rumor mill queen?

• Serato isn't even a thought right now and to see a local DJ spinning CD's or using Serato live instead of records cause their too lazy to take two hours worh of music to the club or a show is bullshit. I don't want to see that. Might as well stay home or atleast change your name on the flyer to MP3J(Fill in the blank) so I know what I'm getting into .

Did I ever once say Jay Z was a "bullshit" artists? Were those my exact words? I have some Jay Z records. He's not my favorite I'll admit but I never said what you're claiming. Do you work for the tabloids or are you just a rumor mill queen?

I'm mainly a rumor mill queen, but I freelance for tabloids.

And sorry, what you said was this:

That means that Odub, no disrespect to Odub cause I know him actually posted about Jay Z the other day which I would think would offend a lot of purists on this site but no one gave a shit[/b]. But I post a simple 303 question and people get offended. Didn't expect that at all

You seem to have an odd concept of "purity" that excludes artists like Jay Z but includes artists like Madlib. You also said something in the mix CD thread about not wanting radio shit or something to that effect. But it's all good, dude. Just go buy KingMost's CD* 'cause it's full of stuff you'd probably really like and is very well executed.

*Kufi not included.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Best thing about Serato is that you can still use all the vinyl all you want, along with the MP3s. I love it because it doesn't cut the original vinyl out of the loop like a CDJ.

Cosign plus you can create your very own doubles. also good for songs you wish you had at that exact moment. Coexistence is the best way

Just saw J-Rocc rock a set completely with serato (xcept few 45's). Although it looked funny (at some point he had two ibooks hooked up) and it does look fucked up to check playlist instead of crates the set was fucking great and his skills were displayed.

More creativity while respecting the original. And for people that had to make cds sometimes to incorporate certain tracks cuts the comlication (making a play list than burnning seprate cds now it is much simpler)

• i think serato is cool for the ones who have to travel a lot..but theres no better feeling than finding that piece of vinyl that you been lookin for forever...i dont get that excited when i find the mp3..
    So why are you getting it then? You know Pooh man is gonna be tryin to clown, even though he was stuck on our shit that one time when we were mixin and cuttin team style.