SP-303 hype

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Madlib says he uses this machine so I was wondering does this plastic box with the eluminated pads work like he says it does? Enlighten me

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yes

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well how well does it work?

• what hype? just because madlib uses it it's hyped? i actually have a friend who owns one, he says the sequencing on it sucks. drums sound nice on it though, and the general functions seem pretty easy to use. i've never used it myself, though.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    what hype? just because madlib uses it it's hyped? i actually have a friend who owns one, he says the sequencing on it sucks. drums sound nice on it though, and the general functions seem pretty easy to use. i've never used it myself, though.

Where have you been. I've seen promotions where they market it as Madlib using it where you can win an SP-303. MF Doom in interviews have also said that he prefers using that machine among other cats. Now kids talk about that machine like it's the shit. So I was wondering how mush of the shit is the machine worth? I would think that teh sequencing is shitty on it...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    ive heard madlib use it on about 3 beats (out of bazillionz) one or two of them beeing on that prince po album. so if you want to hear how it sounds you could check that one.

it doesnt really have a sequencer. you have to change patterns manually, when you want to do something with more than one pattern... so its hard to get proper transitions between ur verses and hooks etc.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Ok so how do you do it? how do you program drums on top of your sample? You can't over dub either?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    nah you can make patterns like on regular samplers. you just cant make a sequence of patterns. you have to change between em manually, pretty tricky to do that on-beat.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    i have one. i like it

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    i have one. i like it

Tell me how you hook up beats. Can you lay down a sample, have it loop and layer sounds on top of that. Can you mute tracks. School me..

• Madlib says he uses this machine so I was wondering does this plastic box with the eluminated pads work like he says it does? Enlighten me

Take that shit to Stones Throw.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Madlib says he uses this machine so I was wondering does this plastic box with the eluminated pads work like he says it does? Enlighten me

Or Google. Jesus man, I'm sure there's a tutorial on the interweb somewhere.
    Maybe even The Official Boss SP303 Webpage?

No disrespect but, damn homie!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Come on, I want testimonials not Roland specs. It's cool though.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    They're neato, would you like to know how it works?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

No, it looks like you want to know how to work the machine.

Well how well does it work?

Ok so how do you do it? how do you program drums on top of your sample? You can't over dub either?

Tell me how you hook up beats. Can you lay down a sample, have it loop and layer sounds on top of that. Can you mute tracks. School me..

It's all good though. I'm just saying it looks like you DO want specs cause fools testimonials have already been dropped.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    day stop being negative

• check out the new 404's

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    search the stonesthrow.com forum, thats where all the madlib wannabes hang out. im sure they discuss this twice a week over there.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    day stop being negative

Yeah no doubt, then you won't have anything to post about!

For real though, don't get me wrong on this cause i'm not trying to be negative, i'm just saying, if you want to know all that there's probably better places online to find out than on here.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    No I don't need one. I got my MPC and Sp1200 so I don't need that shit I was just wondering cause someone I know is set on getting one and I wanted to know specifics before he goes down and check it out. But like I said it's cool.

• Madlib says he uses this machine so I was wondering does this plastic box with the eluminated pads work like he says it does? Enlighten me

Quote:

search the stonesthrow.com forum, thats where all the madlib wannabes hang out. im sure they discuss this twice a week over there.

That's why I said what I said. Most the STMB vets can't stand sp303 threads. That's they version of a lil dude manuva.

• No I don't need one. I got my MPC and Sp1200 so I don't need that shit I was just wondering cause someone I know is set on getting one and I wanted to know specifics before he goes down and check it out. But like I said it's cool.

By today's standards, it's OK if you're just starting out. A learning tool like the speak and spell of samplers. If someone dropped one on me in 88 it woulda been

A nice beat can be made on any piece of shit if you have the creativity, the skill, and that natural touch.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well fuck I was just using teh madlib association as an example, didn't think fools were going to get all snobby on me when someone like Odub posted about Jay Z the other day and shit. My intentions were to find out some real scoop on that machine to pass it on and maybe discourage him from purchasing that one. But it's cool, I see how some people operate.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Well fuck I was just using teh madlib association as an example, didn't think fools were going to get all snobby on me when someone like Odub posted about Jay Z the other day and shit. My intentions were to find out some real scoop on that machine to pass it on and maybe discourage him from purchasing that one. But it's cool, I see how some people operate.

Guess it isn't cool though?

For real though, don't get me wrong on this cause i'm not trying to be negative, i'm just saying, if you want to know all that there's probably better places online to find out than on here.

All bullshit aside, I should have just kept my mouth shut.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    If he already has a sequencer tell him to get one. they're cheap and sound good, but making full tracks is a time consuming, if not enragingly frustrating experience on their own.

you can layer, only 2 stereo voices at once or four mono, so if he can get more minimal, have him hook one up.

• Day, you're a dick.

And now he'll never buy that Aloe Blacc raccord.

PS Big dudes like me use the SP-202.

• PS Big dudes like me use the SP-202.

Represent!!!!

Cosign.

• PS Big dudes like me use the SP-202.

Represent!!!!

Cosign.

the timestretch is

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    You guys are late Madlib is using this nowadays

• oosioosi 40 Posts
    to answer the question, it depends on what you are looking to do....i messed with the 303 when they first came out and it was then what it is to me today(even after hearing countless cats saying its sooooooo underrated)...nothing more than a good scratch pad for beats or a quick on the fly sample trigger, honestly, sure you can edit samples, add effects, sequence, and yes make songs, but you are limited,i checked the 404 after hearing about it at the shop and after messing with it for about an hour, realized the only plus is its battery powered(like the 1000 should be)..anyway ive used asr 10s and mpcs for years and the 303 is honestly a toy compared to those(obviously) , so if your just looking to mess around and throw some loops together the 303 may be your thing,...if your trying to make songs with mad chops,multiple layered samples, sequence changes, and different trigger types, it can be done, but save your self a huge headache and time and skip this machine. peace

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well oosi thanks for the info and coming through with a solid answer. I appreciate all the help from you and whoever gave me a real answer. Peace.