But what do you DO with those records....

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I've heard the "I'm in it for the music" and "I only buy records I like" shit enough.Some of you buy so much shit that its impossible to listen to it all more that a few times.I figure my buying habits sort of break down like this.I'll spend actual money on shit I really like to listen to and will probably listen to a lot. A lot of this is lounge or funk. But mostly lounge.I was spending actual money on records that I needed for DJing. This was usually funk too, since the corny shit was only a dollar anyways.I'll only buy a rackord with a break if its a dollar or if its super duper hot then maybe more. This goes for other shit too, which is strictly for sampling. In fact, I find that I can't sample songs that I really really like, because it almost seems disrepectful to do anything to a song that I already see as perfect.But some of you are buying all sorts of shit, dropping loot on ebay, etc etc... but what are you doing with them? Especially shit that you could just get an mp3 of. If you aren't a DJ then why?If you are buying records just to own them then be honest and raise your hand.

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

But some of you are buying all sorts of shit, dropping loot on ebay, etc etc... but what are you doing with them? Especially shit that you could just get an mp3 of. If you aren't a DJ then why?

If you are buying records just to own them then be honest and raise your hand.

Really just to fondle them and feel like I'm cool just because I have 'em...

• Salary, do you still spin at the AC with Jr.?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm more concerned about the folks that hoard buy records for *HOT BREAKS!* on eBay and aren't producers or mixtape compilers. Unless you're helping out a buddy or the rest of the album/track is good, then why bother?

Madd Break Fetishists need to expand their minds.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I'd like to know the answer to that question too. I only buy records that I will listen too. Mostly hiphop records. Sometimes I'll buy records to sample but I always buy cheap. I'll pay a lot for a Hiphop record though. It just depends on what it is.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• Options
    Sold Totals

Quantity: 19 Amount: $1,047.91

When A Man Called Warwick parted ways with the Movement crew, it seemed like a potentially foolhardy decision. Would he be able to pull enough of that scene out to his Turning Point parties? Well, judging from the packed house in the back room of the Gladstone Hotel Saturday, it's worked out well. He's defined an esoteric identity for the monthly party, and brings in guests who complement it (this week it was local vinyl junky Prince Budgster , aka Kevin Laverty ). While the rare groove and funk roots are still there, it's more about a tropical funk feeling: Afrobeat, Latin, Brazilian, calypso, ska ??? basically vintage funk from very hot places. Without much visible promotion and without famous guest DJs or a big street team, the night has acquired a regular following of dancers who come specifically to hear this take on world music.

• Salary, do you still spin at the AC with Jr.?

naw, they switched to an 80s format.

but yeah, like that other dude said, who are these people buying records with a break? If that break is attached to a great song then great, but otherwise.

oh fuck it. i'm kinda grumpy this week.

and are there really human beings that "study" and "learn" what records are raer and worth money, just in case they bump into it one day? who's got time for that shit? if its hot i'll buy it. if not, then i might pass up a 500 dollar record because I don't "know the deal" but who fucking cares. I got a job.

AWESOME

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Diz,

Great question!!! For myself, I'm a fan first, so I buy my record to, oddly enough, listen to them. In my producer role, a second use of my records is for sampling. I'm not one who likes to waste money, so to speak, so I tend to buy records I enjoy listening. With that said, I'm not a big-ballin', Ebay break fetishist that's gotta have that Ballin' Jack break. Plus, I hate bitin' so I'm not out trying to find shit that the next man has sampled ("they duplicate, I originate..."). Collecting for listening sake is job #1.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'll spend actual money on shit I really like to listen to and will probably listen to a lot. A lot of this is lounge or funk. But mostly lounge.

I was spending actual money on records that I needed for DJing. This was usually funk too, since the corny shit was only a dollar anyways.

That's basically me. Most everything I buy is for DJing whether it be live or in a mixtape. I try and focus on funk, but of course I gotta buy some clubbier shit too. That's number 1, but I also buy chill shit to listen to... like for napping, working on the computer, doing yoga and sex with hookers for example.

DJ Ferrari

• and are there really human beings that "study" and "learn" what records are raer and worth money, just in case they bump into it one day? who's got time for that shit? if its hot i'll buy it. if not, then i might pass up a 500 dollar record because I don't "know the deal" but who fucking cares. I got a job.

you just moded everyone on here. except me. i dont study or learn.

• Plus, I hate bitin' so I'm not out trying to find shit that the next man has sampled

add that one on....

if its a hot sample because its a hot song then sure, i'll buy it. but who buys something for a one 2nd string sample that primo may have used on his lost beat tape?

well, besides those dudes i guess.

I was a record show once, and some seller was all like "yo premo sampled this" to some herb, and I can't remember the record, but it was some dollar bin cheese shit, but that kid bit it hook line and sinker. he played the 2 second sample and that toy whipped out his wallet. The seller gets props for making money off of a dumbass. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• some fucking nerd shit. get a life.

or do like me and shiggles and get drunk and play dollar records.

and are there really human beings that "study" and "learn" what records are raer and worth money, just in case they bump into it one day? who's got time for that shit? if its hot i'll buy it. if not, then i might pass up a 500 dollar record because I don't "know the deal" but who fucking cares. I got a job.

you just moded everyone on here. except me. i dont study or learn.

RIGHT ON! KNOWLEDGE IS DUMB! WHO CARES! I HAVE A REAL JOB!

Yo straight up learning about records is for fools. I'm glad everyone can "go dumb" and just be hyphy about other stuff. My man Chadski calls the "nerds" who study every record on earth "Studymasters." Duh didn't you know the new trend is to be ignant?

Studymasters of the world, get a life.

some fucking nerd shit. get a life.

RIGHT ON DOOD, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE!

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    some fucking nerd shit. get a life.

People with high self-esteem don't need pissing contests. I like what I like and I don't give a fuck what cats think (note my "what chu listening to?" thread responses). I don't list exotic weirdo records to impress dudes, I just listen to good LPs, common or otherwise. I'm a music fan, started as a music fan, and will die as a music fan. 4 life, baby!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• or do like shiggles and get drunk and play your momma's records[/b] .
    his dollar records are all

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I buy records to steal beats from.

Sometimes i listen to them too.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'm having too much sex to have time to listen to records.

Hey Stacks, what's wrong with exotic records? They're good for getting ladies in the mood. Put on Girl From Ipanema and knickers=dropped.

Although when I used to listen to records, I found that I couldn't get rid of ones I had used to sample on mixes, no matter how short the snippet and how wack the rest of it was. I'm just a dumbass collectro with lots of Haitian fusion.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

This is the kind of question my wife asks. I don't sample, DJ, etc....I have a few beers on a Friday night and throw on some 45s. Ocassionally, I'll throw on an LP, put on the headphones, and hope to be mentally transported somewhere.

• or do like shiggles and get drunk and play your momma's records[/b] .
    his dollar records are all

dogg, i buy them for the tight instrumentals so i can kick metaphysical freestyles too. and get drunk

• I'm having too much sex to have time to listen to records.

you need to invest in an "auto return" turntable, do like i do an hook up a bedside portable

• diz, i buy records for all kinds of reasons.
    in order of improtance.
    1. if it has a hot braeks on it.
    2. if it has samplesraer.
    3. i want to listen to it/play out.
    4. i can sell/trade it.
    5. i like the cover.
    peace, stein. . .

• People with high self-esteem don't need pissing contests. I like what I like and I don't give a fuck what cats think (note my "what chu listening to?" thread responses). I don't list exotic weirdo records to impress dudes, I just listen to good LPs, common or otherwise. I'm a music fan, started as a music fan, and will die as a music fan. 4 life, baby!!![/b]

Big Stacks said it, Pickwick 33 believes it, and that settles it!!!

To that I'll add:
    (a) I do DJ a classic soul night once a month at a club, but I'm playing stuff I woulda bought if I weren't DJing;
    (b) I am not a hip-hop producer, so breakbeats aren't any of my concern.

Is it just me, or are the "producers" looking for breakbeats the LEAST musical record collectors you ever met? Some of these doo-wop cats are twice as anal about original copies, and even THOSE guys have an appreciation for the music (beyond things like catalog numbers, label designs, etc.). But some of these beat-diggers know nothing beyond a ten-second feature spot for the drums. Since when is it a crime to hoard records just 'cause you're into the music? Isn't that what records are FOR?

At least before this whole "breakbeat" shit started?

• I buy records to make tapes and to sell to buy more records. It's a neverending story.

• At least before this whole "breakbeat" shit started?
    i'm not sure when the whole breakbeat shit started. it's been a priority of mine since 1989. the drum is everything. the alpha and the omega. peace, stein. . .

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    diz, i buy records for all kinds of reasons.
    in order of improtance.
    1. if it has a hot braeks on it.
    2. if it has samplesraer.
    3. i want to listen to it/play out.
    4. i can sell/trade it.
    5. i like the cover.
    peace, stein. . .

switch 4 and 5 and we have the same list, haha

• I buy records for the love of music and because I hate zeros and ones. Even if the human ear cant hear a difference,just the principle of having a true soundwave is nice to me. I love digging because its a way to get out, kill some time, and maybe come home with something that will melt my face off.

• I buy records to make tapes and to sell to buy more records. It's a neverending story.

for real though, i mostly buy rackords to chill to, and often playing out for my is cocktail affairs so that is pretty much my home collection. As far as sample fodder for me its mostly horn/organ hits, and sometimes a nice intro loop but i like to sample off trash.

I find that I can't sample songs that I really really like, because it almost seems disrepectful to do anything to a song that I already see as perfect.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I buy records because they make me happy....now pass the peas....Also I buy records because I can't stop....I've been buying/enjoying records my whole life...plus I like the beats!!!