But what do you DO with those records....

Comments

• now pass the peas

i buy records b/c music makes my life happy...and i'm hungry

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    diz, i buy records for all kinds of reasons.
    in order of improtance.

1. if it has a hot braeks on it.
    2. if it has semihot braeks on it.
    3. if it has not so hot braeks on it.
    4. if it has pretty wack breaks on it.
    5. if it has wack breaks on it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I buy records cuz their cheap, short, and have big pictures on 'em. Usally I listen to them but sometimes I forget too and lose them.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    pissing contests.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    diz, i buy records for all kinds of reasons.
    in order of improtance.

1. if it has a hot braeks on it.
    2. if it has semihot braeks on it.
    3. if it has not so hot braeks on it.
    4. if it has pretty wack breaks on it.
    5. if it has wack breaks on it.

Aahh!! That was funny.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

oh fuck it. i'm kinda grumpy this week.

Ahhh...the married life.

• I buy records for breaks although I don't produce.
    It's been a time since I've been realy diggin.

Last record I bought is The Voices Of East Harlem - Right On Be Free
    I'm about to get back into the swing of things.

• I have a complex relationship with records and buy them at different times for different reasons. Due to medical injury and following lost wages, for the first time in my life, I'm buying to resell. Hitting the dollar bins to flip on the bay.

I'm into the idea of selling free stuff I find as well, hell, this is Hollywood. I'm sure i can find some shit.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Sold Totals

Quantity: 19 Amount: $1,047.91

When A Man Called Warwick parted ways with the Movement crew, it seemed like a potentially foolhardy decision. Would he be able to pull enough of that scene out to his Turning Point parties? Well, judging from the packed house in the back room of the Gladstone Hotel Saturday, it's worked out well. He's defined an esoteric identity for the monthly party, and brings in guests who complement it (this week it was local vinyl junky Prince Budgster , aka Kevin Laverty ). While the rare groove and funk roots are still there, it's more about a tropical funk feeling: Afrobeat, Latin, Brazilian, calypso, ska ??? basically vintage funk from very hot places. Without much visible promotion and without famous guest DJs or a big street team, the night has acquired a regular following of dancers who come specifically to hear this take on world music.

Kevin, say hi to Simon for me and tell him to send me another of his set sale lists!! Cheers

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    discussing why someone likes or dislikes certain records, and judging their spending habits is really pointless. do you.

a $300 record for $100 is still a deal.

• discussing why someone likes or dislikes certain records, and judging their spending habits is really pointless. do you.

Thats not really the point though. The question is more for people who don't listen to them more than once. For the hoarders. For the Australian pool tutors.

RIGHT ON! KNOWLEDGE IS DUMB! WHO CARES! I HAVE A REAL JOB!

Yo straight up learning about records is for fools. I'm glad everyone can "go dumb" and just be hyphy about other stuff. My man Chadski calls the "nerds" who study every record on earth "Studymasters." Duh didn't you know the new trend is to be ignant?

Studymasters of the world, get a life.
    If you study it because you love the music and cant get enough then cool. nobody said knowledge is dumb. when studying all those records finds a cure for cancer, call me.

RIGHT ON DOOD, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE!

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!
    When your grandkids say "Granpa, can you tell us the story of how you found skull snaps for a dollar again?? pleeeeease?" then call me.

Ahhh...the married life.
    Its more like I haven't had a relaxing weekend in months. I'm aggro.

I buy records for breaks although I don't produce.
    Thats fine. So what do you with the record once you've bought it? Put it in the shelf? Sell it? Serve beandip on it? Thats whats got me curious.

If this turns into a 5 pager, then it would be the first time a thread of mine lasted for more than a few posts. awesome.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Listen, I'm glad you started that thread. It just seems to me that a lot of folks on this board get records for reasons that have me

I get records because I like em' and I use some of them for production. I don't go all out and look for shit to put on my wall. Nor am I a dealer.

Funny story, I remember one time when I was in NY w/ an associate, he started flipping. He got pissed off because some dude was covering up a record he was playing at a listening station. My associate says some shit along the lines of," What the fuck he covering up those records for? He ain't gonna do nuthin' wit it but play that shit when he gets home"

It's cool when you buy music to enjoy, DJ'ing, production or selling but really what's up with just getting shit to just get it???
    My 2 cents...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is cool post. I remember staring a post asking why "non-producers" bought "break records" & I got kinda jumped on. It seems silly to me, but so do a lot of reasons people buy records. oh well.

I started out buying records that I would listen to a lot. I'd be a liar if I said that was still my only reason for buying 'em. If you have more than a couple hundred records then you are not listening to them a lot. you can't. For the last several years I've fallen into the weird collectro thing - looking for obscure stuff I've never heard in genres I like. Often times when I find this stuff it sucks, so I usually don't break the bank unless I've heard it, or it's been recommended by a freind with solid taste. Also, for the last couple years selling records has been paying my bills, so I must admit, I do know about crappy records that are worth money. I dunno if I'd say I "study" this, but it's handy to have this knowledge in my situation. This is truly dorky & I will not defend it though. I am definitely a great big nerd.

• Because I think I could be a dj. But I don't have the drive, game, connections, energy, time, and practice to actually do it. So I make my drive time mixtapes for me and my girlie. And it, records, record players, mixers, samplers, software, and gear is the coolest thing ever, to me. What, besides winning the lottery (to buy mo' records), is cooler?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I also pick up records that I don't listen to much now but might groove to when I'm grown n sexy, stuff like early Miracles LPs. And if I ever see a Coasters LP, I'll snap that up.

I also plan to one day own the Post pictures of Hot Women on covers thread, sorta like a Motown67.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    First and foremost I buy records to listen to. I also buy records for friends/strutters, I like turning people onto cool stuff. Also I'll pickup stuff to resell if I know I can make a good profit on it.

• i buy brazilian records foremost because I think its the most beautiful music ever and I like to listen to music I never heard before. Also, because I like to look at the covers which I can't read, especially the back.

I also like to make up stories about the people playing the music or what they are singing about and what it must have been like to be them.

And, finally, I like to collect them, and catalog them and arrange them and all that other nerdy emperical shit.

• I also like to make up stories about the people playing the music or what they are singing about and what it must have been like to be them.

That line right there just made this thread a classic.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Also, because I like to look at the covers which I can't read, especially the back.

WILL TRANSLATE FOR FOOD[/b]

• I prefer to keep things just the way they are. A little daydream now and then.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    discussing why someone likes or dislikes certain records, and judging their spending habits is really pointless. do you.

Tom hit it on the head.

• discussing why someone likes or dislikes certain records, and judging their spending habits is really pointless. do you.

Tom hit it on the head.

If thats what this thread was about.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I've heard the "I'm in it for the music" and "I only buy records I like" shit enough.

Some of you buy so much shit that its impossible to listen to it all more that a few times.

I figure my buying habits sort of break down like this.

I'll spend actual money on shit I really like to listen to and will probably listen to a lot. A lot of this is lounge or funk. But mostly lounge.

I was spending actual money on records that I needed for DJing. This was usually funk too, since the corny shit was only a dollar anyways.

I'll only buy a rackord with a break if its a dollar or if its super duper hot then maybe more. This goes for other shit too, which is strictly for sampling. In fact, I find that I can't sample songs that I really really like, because it almost seems disrepectful to do anything to a song that I already see as perfect.

But some of you are buying all sorts of shit, dropping loot on ebay, etc etc... but what are you doing with them? Especially shit that you could just get an mp3 of. If you aren't a DJ then why?

If you are buying records just to own them then be honest and raise your hand.

I buy records mainly to spin and since I don't spin as much - I've been getting rid of records left and right. When I did my radio show I'd go out and dig, and play all the shit I just bought. But now, since I don't do my radio show anymore I ask myself why the f*ck do I have this and that (and set it aside). I make my mixes and spin out at small clubs/bars every now and then - and I'll get in my moods to make 2 or 3 beats every couple months, then I'm done. I don't listen to my records to just chill to - I put them to use.

• I like breaks. I'll buy a record with a known dope break on it just to have it. If I find a good one I've never heard before I might try to turn it into something good.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

If thats what this thread was about.

Dude, what is this thread about?

First, you seem to be hatting on people who buy a lot of records who don't produce tracks. You also assume most of them don't listen to them, and you also hatted on people who know what records are worth $500 because they have no life and you have a job?

Dude, some people actually buy records to make money, and yes, some people buy records to have as trophy pieces. My friend David Marx (neomarxisme) has pointed this out to me re: japanese collectros. It's part of their culture.

Saying,
    M

• what happened to the part about getting drunk?

• I like breaks. I'll buy a record with a known dope break on it just to have it ie. just to be part of the "knowing crowd".

• I'm hatting on everybody.

I think this thread is about what people who buy records just to buy them do with them.

But I guess this thread is pointless, because people collect baseball cards and those don't do anything at all.

Maybe I'm curious as to why people buy records just to have them.

Then there is TheMack who only seems to buy records that other people say are good. Like if something was awesome, but it was on some easy listening record that isn't "hip" to own, or not worth anything, would TheMack still buy it?

What is more thrilling? Finding a raer thats been idolized on the interwebs, or finding something new that you've never heard of that sounds awesome? I've wondered that myself, and I guess its apples and oranges. Its cool to find a prize "peice", but I think in the long run I get more enjoyment from finding something on my own, raer or not.

records aren't anything but a medium to record MUSIC onto.

• what happened to the part about getting drunk?

Man i love getting drunk.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I think this thread is about what people who buy records just to buy them do with them.

What does that mean? Like, people who buy a record & put it up on their wall without ever playing it?