Eno and Bynre, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts...

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Is this album dope or what? Man I am feeling this. Wondering if any knows some of the sample sources Eno used for this record... In particular, "The Jezebel Spirit"?Some dope dope stuff...Peace...FNM

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    he was sampling stuff on that record?

anyway, yeah, its hot. will this push the value up on it? I got mad dollar bin copies of this joint.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

anyway, yeah, its hot. will this push the value up on it? I got mad dollar bin copies of this joint.

If I remember right they were using various tape recordings of (ethno) music and sounds. you can call it sampling if you want. This is one of the few records that I bought twice. I had it as a new release but sold it when hip-hop took over my tastes big time and it sounded too hippy and esoteric for me. Only bought it again two years ago and love it ever since 8again). It's a dollar bin classic!!!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    This record scared a friend of mine and he told me to turn it off.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    This record scared a friend of mine and he told me to turn it off.

Did you ease the tension by throwing on "Music for Airports?"

• This record scared a friend of mine and he told me to turn it off.

Chrome's "Red Exposure" anyone?? Thats a spooky one. It, "My Life In The Bush...", "Flowers And Romance", and OMD's from "Architecture & Morality" the track The New Stone Age, Consisted partially of my halloween set this year.

• I read somewhere that Larry Levan used to play Jezebel Spirit at the Paradise Garage.

Check out Holger Czukay's - Making Movies - LP for more of the same...

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

If I remember right they were using various tape recordings of (ethno) music and sounds. you can call it sampling if you want. This is one of the few records that I bought twice. I had it as a new release but sold it when hip-hop took over my tastes big time and it sounded too hippy and esoteric for me. Only bought it again two years ago and love it ever since 8again). It's a dollar bin classic!!!

You are right on that, and some of the sources are from Indian radio transmissions.. so I have been told anyway.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dope!

My copies always had the sources in the liner notes. As I recall most were from 2 source 1) radio preachers 2) Folkways, the one I remember is Music From The Muslim World.

Dan

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    2) Folkways, the one I remember is Music From The Muslim World.

"Brakes are for chumps, Folkways is for playahz."

yeah, dope record!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

That album has both, though.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

That album has both, though.

That changes nothing!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    you can call it sampling if you want.
    I don't know what else you'd call it. Dope record to be sure, sounds like it came out a year or 2 ago even thought it's '81. Fuckin' Moby put out a cheap knock of version of this LP in '99 and called if PLAY.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    you can call it sampling if you want.
    I don't know what else you'd call it. Dope record to be sure, sounds like it came out a year or 2 ago even thought it's '81. Fuckin' Moby put out a cheap knock of version of this LP in '99 and called if PLAY.

I think they recorded it even earlier than that; possibly around 1979, when Talking Heads were working on "Fear Of Music". The term Byrne and Eno used in all the interviews was "found sound" as opposed to sampling. I remember reading that it got held up for a while because they couldn't get clearance for a track called "Into The Spirit World" (which may even have been the intended title of the album). It contained a recording of a medium who David Byrne had taped off the radio, saying something like, "Come join me as I embark on my journey into the spirit world". She wouldn't agree to her voice being used, so they had to pull the song and change all the artwork. I'm pretty sure they managed to get permission to use most, if not all, the other stuff they used on the eventual release. As for "Jezebel Spirit", that was a pretty big club record in the UK as well. It was even used as the theme for Channel 4's NFL coverage for a couple of seasons too.