NRR - Paris Strutters - explain the rioting please

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Can't get a decent story other than two kids died and folks lost it and started trashing shit. Please explain circumstances or maybe you have a link to a good article.

Comments

• did they try to extend the work day again?

nice loc, miss

• Hey, I was just in Paris and I can tell you what Ive pieced together. Essentially, this all started in a poor part Suburbs where a lot of immigrants live. I guess theres a bunch of crime there that the governemnt is trying to clean up. So, two teens were electrocuted I think last Friday after apparently being chased by cops. The cops chased the three kids and all three tried to hop a fence which turned out to be electric, two died and one was injured. The community was/is furious because the cops have been less than forthcoming with their view of the events and the community feels that cops killed the teens. I think, there is a lot of tension in the area. From what I can discern, a lot of former Algerians live in the neighborhood, even fromer Algerian/French loyalists who fought for the French army and still do not receive pensions from the french government. Apparently, there is a lot of anger towards the governemnt there, with there being no jobs and and the history. So, the area erupted. Actaully, it has receieved very little attention in the city when I was there. I didnt see it in any of the newspapers. I think a lot of Algerians have a major bone to pick with the French govenrment, and with no way to express that, they erupted. Thats what I can tell. I am probably way off.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The French police have a different version of what happened - they say the two kids hid in an electricity substation and got electrocuted but that the police were nowhere near and had stopped chasing them 20 mins before that happened. All I know is that French police are fucking brutes and pretty racist too for the most part and not just against the North Africans. There's a lot of tension in that area - it's seriously ghetto.

• 3 in rioting in suburb of Paris get jail terms [/b]
    The Associated Press, Agence France-Presse

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2005

CLICHY-SOUS-BOIS, France Three men were sentenced to prison on Monday after police officers clashed with youths in a Paris suburb for a fourth straight night and residents accused the police of throwing a tear-gas grenade at a mosque.

In all, 27 people have been arrested since the violence started Thursday night.

Two 25-year-old men and another aged 27, detained Friday during the worst of the rioting in the northeastern suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois, received eight-month sentences, including two months' firm imprisonment for throwing projectiles at police officers.

Five other adults were due to appear before a judge north of Paris, and three teenagers were to appear before a children's court judge.

In rioting Sunday night in Clichy-sous-Bois, 8 cars and 16 rubbish bins were set afire. Dozens of other vehicles were incinerated in the preceding rampages.

There were no reports of civilian casualties on Sunday, but six police officers were slightly wounded.

The suburb was calm during the day Monday.

The unrest was triggered when two teenagers, aged 15 and 17, died by electrocution Thursday after they scaled the wall of an electrical relay station and touched a transformer. A friend who was with them said the boys thought they were being chased by the police, but the authorities have denied that was the case.[/b]

The clashes have pitted youths - at times several hundred of them - against police officers, leaving a total of 23 officers wounded.

Clichy-sous-Bois has a substantial immigrant population, a large share of public housing and a history of social problems.

The landing of a police tear-gas grenade in the local mosque - close by which "100 to 150 youths were looking for a fight," according to a departmental security spokesman, Jean-Luc Sidot - threatened to worsen the running conflict. Muslims inside the building accused the police of firing the grenade.

Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy confirmed that the grenade was of the type used by riot squads, but he said "that does not mean that it was fired by a police officer.'

Sarkozy promised stepped-up security in restive neighborhoods with riot police to ensure order and intelligence agents to search for troublemakers.

Residents of troubled neighborhoods will get "the security they have a right to," he vowed Monday during a meeting with police officers and fire fighters.

Sarkozy says that violence in French suburbs is a daily fact of life.

Since the start of the year, 9,000 police cars have been stoned and, each night, 20 to 40 cars are torched, Sarkozy said in an interview last week with the newspaper Le Monde.[/b]

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/31/news/france.php

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thanks for the info ??? it doesn???t surprise me that even in Paris it???s not getting any press. I don???t think you???re that far off.

3 in rioting in suburb of Paris get jail terms [/b]

The Associated Press, Agence France-Presse

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2005

CLICHY-SOUS-BOIS, France Three men were sentenced to prison on Monday after police officers clashed with youths in a Paris suburb for a fourth straight night and residents accused the police of throwing a tear-gas grenade at a mosque.

In all, 27 people have been arrested since the violence started Thursday night.

Two 25-year-old men and another aged 27, detained Friday during the worst of the rioting in the northeastern suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois, received eight-month sentences, including two months' firm imprisonment for throwing projectiles at police officers.

Five other adults were due to appear before a judge north of Paris, and three teenagers were to appear before a children's court judge.

In rioting Sunday night in Clichy-sous-Bois, 8 cars and 16 rubbish bins were set afire. Dozens of other vehicles were incinerated in the preceding rampages.

There were no reports of civilian casualties on Sunday, but six police officers were slightly wounded.

The suburb was calm during the day Monday.

The unrest was triggered when two teenagers, aged 15 and 17, died by electrocution Thursday after they scaled the wall of an electrical relay station and touched a transformer. A friend who was with them said the boys thought they were being chased by the police, but the authorities have denied that was the case.[/b]

The clashes have pitted youths - at times several hundred of them - against police officers, leaving a total of 23 officers wounded.

Clichy-sous-Bois has a substantial immigrant population, a large share of public housing and a history of social problems.

The landing of a police tear-gas grenade in the local mosque - close by which "100 to 150 youths were looking for a fight," according to a departmental security spokesman, Jean-Luc Sidot - threatened to worsen the running conflict. Muslims inside the building accused the police of firing the grenade.

Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy confirmed that the grenade was of the type used by riot squads, but he said "that does not mean that it was fired by a police officer.'

Sarkozy promised stepped-up security in restive neighborhoods with riot police to ensure order and intelligence agents to search for troublemakers.

Residents of troubled neighborhoods will get "the security they have a right to," he vowed Monday during a meeting with police officers and fire fighters.

Sarkozy says that violence in French suburbs is a daily fact of life.

Since the start of the year, 9,000 police cars have been stoned and, each night, 20 to 40 cars are torched, Sarkozy said in an interview last week with the newspaper Le Monde.[/b]

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/31/news/france.php

thanks for that. uhg - this is not good.

it took a while for me to understand the weird vibe that I felt in that city was horrible tension. it's beautiful there, but it was hard to ignore an ugly feeling I couldn't really define til I started to speak to people.

• Its definately beautiful, then you step just a bit out of the city to one of the Flea markets, and its just utter tension. Its not really all that bad, but you get the feeling that for Tourism and image's sake, a lot of Paris' real problems have been marginilized and pushed out of the center. The old city feels almost like a midieval walled city, with all of the undesireables on the outside.

• All of this reminds me of:

A great film if you haven't seen it.

Its definately beautiful, then you step just a bit out of the city to one of the Flea markets, and its just utter tension. Its not really all that bad, but you get the feeling that for Tourism and image's sake, a lot of Paris' real problems have been marginilized and pushed out of the center. The old city feels almost like a midieval walled city, with all of the undesireables on the outside.

i thought the fleas were cool - it was on the metro that I really felt it.

coming in and out of the city - it was all people of colour on the train and then the closer you get to the city, an invisible button is pressed and who's getting on and off suddenly changes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    All I know is that French police are fucking brutes and pretty racist too for the most part and not just against the North Africans. There's a lot of tension in that area - it's seriously ghetto.
    Thats absolutely true.
    The "tension" is created by many factors. First the history especially with algerian immigration but also former west-african colonies. The cops dont help they are constantly checking for France's "green card". "Vos papiers?" is a question asked regurlarly on the streets to anyone not blonde/blue eyes no joke! I am a french citizen through my dad (senegal) and got asked 5 times in on day once (flash the french passport and tell them to suck my baguette)
    3-The tension in the hood: very poor concentrated as fuck areas... the thing is a lot of lower-class white french people have been forced to move into these "immigrant neighberhoods" and they have chaneled their frustration through discrimination and Right wing nationalism (FN party/red neck syndrom) so there is huge tension... youre not really french vs youre a racist

Both these movies

Apart from being masterpieces and having an incredible soundtrack to boot
    Will help you understand the situation... worth checking (intl movie section)

All of this reminds me of:

Is that La Haine? Great film. The HLMs in the suburbs are the equivalent of the projects but set as far out of town as possible - low rent high rise public housing set in the middle of fucking nowhere, nothing to do, no work, not much hope. Pretty much inhabited by immigrants and the poorest ranks of society. Out of sight and out of mind of most people until this kind of thing happens.

i've heard - but i keep putting it off - it's going to be so frustrating.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

cosign! all this is going on for years, not only in paris. marseille is also pretty hardcore. but also smaller cities have the same problems...but yea, ghettos are everywhere...but saint denis, paris 36, can be a mad place. all folks who havent seen the movie, go check it out!!!
    And get this album, classic french early nineties hiphop:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Is that La Haine? Great film.

It is

If you liked it try finding Ma 6-t va craquer

It has a great riot scene (cops get molotov cocktails to the dome) and presents the pointlessness and gratuitness of ghettovscops dilemma. Exactly fitting with this story.

"L'important c'est pas la chute..c'est l'aterissage"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

cosign! all this is going on for years, not only in paris. marseille is also pretty hardcore. but also smaller cities have the same problems...but yea, ghettos are everywhere...but saint denis, paris 36, can be a mad place. all folks who havent seen the movie, go check it out!!!
    And get this album, classic french early nineties hiphop:

Co-sign on NTM great samples in their early work classic and controversial. Their new stuff was also good. This IV my people thing is hit or miss (production)

Also la haine and ma-6-t strk are incredible (ma6t has a KRS song)

A thread could be made on frech hiphop the history of NTM's censorship and the Passi-->police poulet-->bisson nabisoo are all interesting

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    All I know is that French police are fucking brutes and pretty racist too for the most part and not just against the North Africans. There's a lot of tension in that area - it's seriously ghetto.

A LOT of French people hold VERY racist views towards the North Africans living in France. Many North Africans live in housing projects and the communities are blamed for crime and a declining society. It is very fucked up and I don't see the situation getting any better

A LOT of French people hold VERY racist views towards the North Africans living in France. Many North Africans live in housing projects and the communities are blamed for crime and a declining society. It is very fucked up and I don't see the situation getting any better

Yeah, and the further south you go in France the more ingrained the racism, in my experience, although Paris ain't great. I use to live near Aix and they don't like their foreigners much down there. Although compared to the Corsicans those southeners are a model of tolerance and liberalism. Being Corsican I can say that .

For a newer, much more subtle film about race relations in Paris, France???s colonialist past and present-day bourgeoisie psychology??? I recommend Michael Haneke???s Cache. (Moss can back me up) ??? this film is smart as a whip and had me thinking for days after.

• All of this reminds me of:

I would extent it by saying

"watch that movie and leave out the newspapers"

and you will fully understand what??s going on.

"what??s going on" now ... and in the future !

Peace
    Seb

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Yeah, and the further south you go in France the more ingrained the racism, in my experience, although Paris ain't great. I use to live near Aix and they don't like their foreigners much down there. Although compared to the Corsicans those southeners are a model of tolerance and liberalism. Being Corsican I can say that .

Its all about the FN and this fucker

Very scary ectreme-right trend throughout Europe

• Very scary ectreme-right trend throughout Europe

Throughout the U.S. too.

• lot of Paris' real problems have been marginilized and pushed out of the center. The old city feels almost like a midieval walled city, with all of the undesireables on the outside.

that basically sums it up. i've lived half my life in paris (13eme, near ave gobelins, blvd st. marcel). it's become horribly expensive to live there and if you don't own your apt or rent it through family/friends, you'll be living in poverty (for example, across the hall from my place, there was a family of six or so senegalese immigrants living in a 1 bedroom or studio apartment...no toilet or shower in their apartment either, there was a communal one in the hall way for the other studios on the hall).

needless to say, the outskirts of paris (either the edge of the city itself or the suburbs) are populated with poor immigrant populations which are basically lumped into housing projects where the police don't even show up half the time they're called...the mentality is "let's group em all together and they'll kill themselves off eventually".

let's not forget either that 20% of the french population voted for the extreme right national front party in the last election.

• For a newer, much more subtle film about race relations in Paris, France???s colonialist past and present-day bourgeoisie psychology??? I recommend Michael Haneke???s Cache. (Moss can back me up) ??? this film is smart as a whip and had me thinking for days after.

is this a new michael haneke film, or a re-released old one, like "benny's video"? i love all his films (funny games is fucking brutal), and he's also touched on race-relations in "code unknown".

For a newer, much more subtle film about race relations in Paris, France???s colonialist past and present-day bourgeoisie psychology??? I recommend Michael Haneke???s Cache. (Moss can back me up) ??? this film is smart as a whip and had me thinking for days after.

is this a new michael haneke film, or a re-released old one, like "benny's video"? i love all his films (funny games is fucking brutal), and he's also touched on race-relations in "code unknown".

it's a new one. yes funny games is brutal...and brilliant.

Looking over Europe ??? it???s not like France has racism on lock ??? but it has paradoxes I think are more pronounced and specific to it. Aspects of African and Arab culture are totally woven into French culture without it being the ???other??? and it is interesting that folks like James Baldwin, Nina Simone and Josephine Baker considered it a safer haven than the States. I guess their fame, Americanism and artistic abilities made them OK.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Looking over Europe ??? it???s not like France has racism on lock ??? but it has paradoxes I think are more pronounced and specific to it. Aspects of African and Arab culture are totally woven into French culture without it being the ???other??? and it is interesting that folks like James Baldwin, Nina Simone and Josephine Baker considered it a safer haven than the States. I guess their fame, Americanism and artistic abilities made them OK.

Miss B -

I suspect that it was the cultural exoticism of Baldwin, Simone, Baker et al that afforded them a certain degree of comfort w/in France...

It's the legacy of colonialism - specifically in West Africa and North Africa (Le magreb) - when you factor in that the predominant religion of people from Le magreb is Islam and that West African countries such as Senegal also boast a sizeable Muslim population, it's also divided along religious/ethnic lines - see the issue concerning headscarves in schools...

The overall population of France runs around 60 million - 5 million of which are Muslim - and the 'indigenous' Gallic population is experiencing population declines much like a lot of Europe (Italy, Spain, etc.) - in order to maintain the status quo (population) in order to fund the extremely lavish welfare/social system that France enjoys, the country will need to import more immigrants from elsewhere - and unlike previous waves of migration from locales such as Portugal and Italy, which observed a subsumation/embrace wholesale of French culture (e.g. Jean Paul BELMONDO - pretty Italian if you ask me), many of the present and future immigrants may not fit into a conformed identity - the problems evident right now (and documented cinematically by Kassovitz in 'La haine') won't be going away anytime soon and, in all likelihood, will be further exacerbated...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    won't be going away anytime soon and, in all likelihood, will be further exacerbated...

With the EU situation things will grow even worse i fear...
    Not only the "real" european identity thing (in regards to turky's entrance in EU)
    But this centralization and power dispersion is a field day of material for nationalists. We should control our own destiny we are getting absobed paying for nothing etc...

As an emerging alternative to US supremacy the EU has this as an important thorn in its side. Its a shame.
    For the record Illegal refugee issues are also contributing (recent events in spain)
    And talking about the living conditions in france a recent waves of fires have hit badly maintained, houses where the poorer strata lives resulting in many deaths

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

With the EU situation things will grow even worse i fear...

Not only the "real" european identity thing (in regards to turky's entrance in EU)

But this centralization and power dispersion is a field day of material for nationalists. We should control our own destiny we are getting absobed paying for nothing etc...

As an emerging alternative to US supremacy the EU has this as an important thorn in its side. Its a shame.

For the record Illegal refugee issues are also contributing (recent events in spain)

And talking about the living conditions in france a recent waves of fires have hit badly maintained, houses where the poorer strata lives resulting in many deaths

Turkey's trump card is its 70 + million population, a large %age of which are under the age of 30, making for extremely attractive candidates for work in the rest of the EU - especially in positions where citizens of those countries refuse to take...

All one needs to do is look at the apartment block towers when taking the train from Charles de Gaul airport into Paris - those tenement settlements are where a lot of these migrants (and their successive generations) have been sequestered to w/ not very bright prospects for work/etc.

As for the cultural hegemony of the US - certain states such as CA and TX will enjoy a Hispanic majority VERY soon - the racial balance will favor that particular ethnic segment owing to the high birth rates observed...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    As for the cultural hegemony of the US - certain states such as CA and TX will enjoy a Hispanic majority VERY soon - the racial balance will favor that particular ethnic segment owing to the high birth rates observed...

Although true I a still disgusted by the BUSH latino vote in the last elections
    Goes to show its not always about heritage but current culture.

The fact that parties like he FN or even worse the nazi-ish parties of Austria(3rd place currently) are allowd to participate and receive considerable support. Shows a lot about the state of politics. But I mean just look at the state's ex-Grand Dragons (kkk) as senators, Delay "we should'nt fund this hospital more because of its majority lack users that are known to live less longer" (roughly)
    etc...

I suspect that it was the cultural exoticism of Baldwin, Simone, Baker et al that afforded them a certain degree of comfort w/in France...

yes I think so too

It's the legacy of colonialism - specifically in West Africa and North Africa (Le magreb) - when you factor in that the predominant religion of people from Le magreb is Islam and that West African countries such as Senegal also boast a sizeable Muslim population, it's also divided along religious/ethnic lines - see the issue concerning headscarves in schools...

this came up after the London bombings, too; this legacy and where it leaves this next generation: stuck between their parents??? culture they don???t feel they really belong to and the country that won???t recognize them as European citizens. It???s the typical colonial having one???s cake ??? pillaging a country, ruling its people and demanding subordination ??? and eating it, too ??? refusing to accept/respect them in their own borders.

The headscarf thing is a mess. There are girls who have never been in public without their scarves ??? I imagine for some of them it???s like us being asked to walk around in our bras.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    It???s the typical colonial having one???s cake ??? pillaging a country, ruling its people and demanding subordination ??? and eating it, too ??? refusing to accept/respect them in their own borders

Huge co-sign
    add: continuing to profit from them on the international market and keep them in a subordinate situation while not intervening in the conflicts we helped spark and fuel (genocide---booya weapons sales!)