L.A. needs a store like TSL

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
thread inspired by the fuck arons post.somebody needs to step the f up and open up a store like the groove merchant or tsl in l.a.stockholm sweden has 2 stores like this(recordmania and snickars). and we wont even get into tokyo.we need someplace specializing in sample based hip hop. breaks section, someone sampled this section, classic hip hop section, and a few indie new records. it aint that hard(or is it paycheck?) i remeber atomic starting out this way and went haywire.is the rent too high in l.a.? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• not i

• Options
    not i

Come on.

Bloodshitters[/b] ?

K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm interested.....

• not i
    actually somebody that works for anthony pearson inc. could run it. all YOU gotta do is
    stock copies of donald byrd "places and space" for 20 bucks in the racks etc. . stick a skullsnaps on the wall and your in business. peace, stein. . .

• i am a very private person.

• not i
    actually somebody that works for anthony pearson inc. could run it. all YOU gotta do is

stock copies of donald byrd "places and space" for 20 bucks in the racks etc. . stick a skullsnaps on the wall and your in business. peace, stein. . .

It's pretty much that simple. I probably should've opened in LA but I don't know fuck all about that city!

Someone needs to have a good head on their shoulders for business

Someone needs a grip of money

Someone needs a grip of records.

Everything else is pretty easy.

• not i

It's pretty much that simple. I probably should've opened in LA but I don't know fuck all about that city!

seems like 5000 records is enough to start one of them stores.
    how much money does one need? peace, stein. . .

• not i

seems like 5000 records is enough to start one of them stores.

how much money does one need? peace, stein. . .

50 to 100 at minimum.

5000 records is good.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    17,500. I'll incorporate it in Delaware for you.

• somebody needs to step the f up and open up a store like the groove merchant or tsl in l.a.
    stockholm sweden has 2 stores like this(recordmania and snickars). and we wont even get into tokyo.
    we need someplace specializing in sample based hip hop. breaks section, someone sampled this section, classic hip hop section, and a few indie new records. it aint that hard(or is it paycheck?) i remeber atomic starting out this way and went haywire.
    is the rent too high in l.a.? peace, stein. . .
    why? plenty of people doing fine in la w/ out overpriced vinyl store and all that goes along with that.
    look at what sellers in la as well as tsl and recordmania move on ebay alone, why pay for overhead anywhere for that matter.

• Options
    why pay for overhead anywhere for that matter.

The only reason to do it is for the goodies that walk in the door (and the sale of products not conducive to internet sale).
    K.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    why pay for overhead anywhere for that matter.

The only reason to do it is for the goodies that walk in the door (and the sale of products not conducive to internet sale).
    K.

And the celebrities

• why pay for overhead anywhere for that matter.

K.

Goodies that walk in the door are a definite plus. But you still gotta get out in the field.

Pretty cynical attitude though - pay for overhead because people like shopping in record stores.

If you know a damn thing about running a business you know that increased sales make up for for increased overhead. I sell so much shit day in and day out that either would sell for half or not at all on ebay.

• Options
    and the sale of products not conducive to internet sale.
    K.

• and the sale of products not conducive to internet sale.
    K.

Which is half of the fun! I have a friend who's just starting to build a collection... it's great turning him on to Impressions and Sabbath records and shit.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

The only reason to do it is for the goodies that walk in the door
    Maybe its beacuse nobody walks in LA.

• Maybe its beacuse nobody walks in LA.
    touche'

• Options

The only reason to do it is for the goodies that walk in the door
    Maybe its beacuse nobody walks in LA.
    Fat lavish fucks.

K.

• why pay for overhead anywhere for that matter.

K.

Goodies that walk in the door are a definite plus. But you still gotta get out in the field.

Pretty cynical attitude though - pay for overhead because people like shopping in record stores.

If you know a damn thing about running a business you know that increased sales make up for for increased overhead. I sell so much shit day in and day out that either would sell for half or not at all on ebay.
    I doubt you let off heat day in and day out, you ebay it or set sale via contacts
    of course you can sell "regular" things.

what im getting at is this: and this is no disrespect to any "special" stores!

they are great if you are looking for a particular piece, where for the most part , the digging is done for you..on some heavier type shit.. fine. But, Im not feeling linda tillery , cannonballs etc etc..on the wall for $60, or crap lps w/ drum breaks for $25..c'mon go on with that. Im on the east coast, and my city has NO stores like that (nor is there a clientele for it) and i have done just fine in the field as well as via my contacts.
    im not into stores that ride the wave of "rap producers" and "diggers" hyping up shit. I did great in la with out all the hype...on the real, we need some more mom and pop- shops period

• Meh, I think there's a middle ground. It doesn't have to be super rare all the time digging-so-you-don't-have-to. I like the mom-and-pop shop. I try to be more of a store for the everyday cat, but that don't mean I will put Ike Turner out for $10! The raers are there for the small percentage that need them, the Al Green is there for everyone else. People like shopping in stores, I believe in providing that service for them.

Seriously though raers are great but that's not what a good business is built on. I sell ten $10 records for every one $50 record.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    we've had stores like this and they don't do all that well.
    - Beat Market on Sunset
    - Kevin's spot on Hollywood

LA has swaps and Arons, I don't thnk people out here would support a record boutique.

Were hagglers here and the only thing we pay crazy amounts on is parking.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Like I said we are soon to be opening here in LA... Finishing up construction now.

• there is little point in doing a store like this in la.

first off, why pay l.a. rent when you can work out of your living room selling the same donald byrd and bob james records on ebay.

second, there are already plenty of neighborhood stores that maintain a storefront for little reason other than the goodies that come in the door. then the shit goes right up on the internet. most of the best locations/demographics for this in la have been tapped for years. thing record recycler, record surplus, bagatelle, and so on and so forth. you need to get lucky as hell with an untapped spot to pull this off, and to do it right you should have been there 10 years ago at least. there are new locations like that developing because of la's growth, but we grow out, you gotta head 50 miles outside the city for it and you cant run a boutique record store in friggin palmdale. its not like nyc where random old jazz collector dude can shop for the best price on his collection at 3 stores within miles and minutes of each other so the goodies game is different.

there is a reason why atomic sells all their good shit on the internet now. different economy. besides, there is no shortage of great record shopping in la if you want to overspend, ie the bp show this weekend.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    there is little point in doing a store like this in la.

first off, why pay l.a. rent when you can work out of your living room selling the same donald byrd and bob james records on ebay.

true

second, there are already plenty of neighborhood stores that maintain a storefront for little reason other than the goodies that come in the door. then the shit goes right up on the internet.

true

there is no shortage of great record shopping in la if you want to overspend, ie the bp show this weekend.

true

• Like I said we are soon to be opening here in LA... Finishing up construction now.

if anyone can pull it off ... if its the same location i last heard there is def. potential there, but it sure won't be easy.

Like I said we are soon to be opening here in LA... Finishing up construction now.

if anyone can pull it off ... if its the same location i last heard there is def. potential there, but it sure won't be easy.

Ia m sure its only going to become more of a pain... fuck it roll the dice.

• we've had stores like this and they don't do all that well.
    - Beat Market on Sunset

LA has swaps and Arons, I don't thnk people out here would support a record boutique.

beat market was the closest, but it went out of business at least a few months ago. kevin's spot on hollywood - don't even get me started...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    we've had stores like this and they don't do all that well.
    - Beat Market on Sunset

beat market was the closest, but it went out of business at least a few months ago. kevin's spot on hollywood - don't even get me started...

The Beat Market is exactly why I don't thnk this will work, Not to knock 33third, I mean I wish you the best and I'll be supporting you for sure, but I'm thinking its a tough thing to make happen in LA

• If the LA record scene is as bad as yall imply, that's pretty fucking sad. I mean, typical of LA but whats with the "I'd rather sit in my livingroom" deal? There is a huge segment of people who don't like buying on ebay or at record shows... there's no need for a store that caters to them out there? It's not about breakbeats, it's about good friggin music.

Honestly this thread is pathetic. You LA cats have not one good store to speak of yet the excuse for that is "I'd rather sit in my living room on ebay ugh I hate driving I go to Buena Park"???

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

well the whole I don't wanna drive thing I can understand, it gets to me too. But as far as record stores, there aren't any that are consistent (IMO) outside of Ameoba... Fatbeats is mainly newer stuff but then you gotta battle the Melrose traffic - and the traffic around Amoeba is nothing fun either. Stacks is way out in Cerritos so if you are not around there then you can plan on an hour or so drive to get there. Record Surplus is dope, but its only new stuff and 99cent bins. outside of that there is rehab, but their used section is suspect. Arons has a good location but again their buyers are inconsistant since their old buyers were swooped up by Amoeba.