L.A. needs a store like TSL

13»

Comments

• Exactly what girl is Guzzo trying to get at. Is it the one that wears skirts and fishnets. She is pretty fine but tall. I would bang the hell out of her.

Anyways I got my spots overhere I just need to get more knowledge and then I am set. Many record stores around here but seldom HEAT. Thrifts turn up HEAT a lot more usually.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    As for the Bay Area, i think the bay Area would benefit greatly if they had a cluster of shops in one area like Japan. That would be dope. If we had a Fatbeats out here and a few more shops like a turntable lab shop, things would be dope for record shopping. The Bay Area is funny though. We have shops but fo rteh most part they are spread out. Amoeba SF has a better selection than Amoeba Berkeley, and Groove Merchant seems to have an endless supply of rare records-sealed too. But again far apart. An area of record shops adn DJ supply shops would be dope out here. Downtown Oakland would be a good place to start. Downtown Oakland is sort of liek New York I've been told and it's changing. Rent is still very cheap in retail locations in Oakland too. But I doubt we'll see anything soon.

• Downtown Oakland is sort of liek New York

downtown new york empties out at 430pm?

oh, and odub, i try and avoid going west of fairfax when at all possible. that said, there's a ramen joint called ramen joint [i think] on like olympic just past sawtelle. its pretty good. best ramen is in gardena though...

oh, and um i am SOOO MAD AT RECORDS.

you know what pisses me off too? fucken kush. man, every asshole down here thinks "kush" is like the be-all-end-all of weed. you know what, shut your fucking hole bitches cuz i'll be damned if im paying $75 for a 1/8 of weed. fucking WEED! some dude tried to sell me a sack for $90 and i looked at him like he was crazy. i mean, why does the weed down here suck more than back home? i could get oildipped white rhino for $55 a case [1/8 oz.] and dude would ride his goddamn bike up through chinatown to drop it off. now i got these hollywood asswipes telling me they got rock star weed. i mean, kush is alright, it definately ranks up there. but $90? crazy motherfuckers. and its either kush or weed. they dont know no other strains. i mean, i could get a variety of shit from a handful of folks back home for half that price.

LA needs a store like CHAMP

• stores are pretty much a good way to throw money in the shitter. unless you live in ny, tokyo, montreal, or any other naturally great place to buy records. it is All about foot traffic and shit like that- aka high rent areas. fucking waste if it isn't a good situation to begin with. sounding like LA isnt one of those places.

what about renegade record sellers?? i'm bringing some nice stuff out there in december. i'm planning on taking up some random office space. maybe i can set some loose hours where mf's can come over and buy. i'll have couple thousand 12's and 45's for sure to start with. no way will it be a store. just for strutters and friends etc.

• Options
    WHy do you continue to operate a store?

K.

• There is a huge segment of people who don't like buying on ebay or at record shows...

Target market identified.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Exactly what girl is Guzzo trying to get at. Is it the one that wears skirts and fishnets. She is pretty fine but tall. I would bang the hell out of her.

Guzzo's dating life is not a osulstrut topic. Record geeks don't even like girls, all they do is get in the way of REAL music fans at swap meets.

• it's coming to an end soon nuff. i am so looking forward to get out. a liberating experience indeed.

• Being an Ex-Angelino,If I had to move back and open shop, I think I would find a small shop close to The stussy/supreme shopping block on La Brea.I know the rent would be taxing,but I have seen the kind of foot traffic there,and it is the right kind of foot traffic.If you had a small space with the RIGHT records,you could make a killing.The pretension level of the clientele would be high,but seriously,you deal with bullshit in any neighborhood.On the flip side,I like Tom's approach.If rent goes down on apartment's in San Francisco,I think I might rent a small studio apartment with DJ Sureshot and open a appointment only spot.A place with only maybe 4 boxs of records,but strictly on some connoisseur shit.A relaxed setting with A wet bar and leather chairs.A semi-retail Spot where Trading records and Drinking a Bushmills on the rocks is encouraged.The truth is,a spot like this would go belly up in maybe six months,but oh what a fun six months.If somebody is really going to kill it in LA,my money is on TOM.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• wet bar and leather chairs

just add

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Being an Ex-Angelino,If I had to move back and open shop, I think I would find a small shop close to The stussy/supreme shopping block on La Brea.I know the rent would be taxing,but I have seen the kind of foot traffic there,and it is the right kind of foot traffic.If you had a small space with the RIGHT records,you could make a killing.The pretension level of the clientele would be high,but seriously,you deal with bullshit in any neighborhood.On the flip side,I like Tom's approach.If rent goes down on apartment's in San Francisco,I think I might rent a small studio apartment with DJ Sureshot and open a appointment only spot.A place with only maybe 4 boxs of records,but strictly on some connoisseur shit.A relaxed setting with A wet bar and leather chairs.A semi-retail Spot where Trading records and Drinking a Bushmills on the rocks is encouraged.The truth is,a spot like this would go belly up in maybe six months,but oh what a fun six months.If somebody is really going to kill it in LA,my money is on TOM.

Dude, I might just buy the apt. next door and camp out.

Do this shit.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Good news, fuckers. Your West-Coast fever dreams have been answered:

no stoners

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

no stoners

Snap!

Yo, no SF love? what the fuck. Seriously, the Yay needs a Fat Beats/TTL equivalent. Amoeba just ain't cuttin' it.

B-sides in Berkeley is cool but...it's in Berkeley.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

no stoners

damn that really streamlines the potential applicants dont it?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

no stoners

will this be an actual physical store? if yes, that would be pretty cool.

• Good news, fuckers. Your West-Coast fever dreams have been answered:

no stoners

will this be an actual physical store? if yes, that would be pretty cool.

Yeah, an actual physical store. Someone told me it's going to be near the Supreme store.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    an LA TTL store will be cool but, from my memory of the nyc store a few years back, don't they only have reiussues? will any real digging opportunities present themselves?

also, there already is a very good boutique record store in a convenient location in la. the hip hop selection is great and the r&b and jazz are always decent.
    but i've already said too much