This gets better every time i listen to it

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Just wanna jump in say THANKS to all who have posted in this thread. It's been a slow week at work and this shit has "Classic Friday Thread" written all over it.

BTW: Real headz know that "Kokomo" is that real Beach Boys piff.

This thread is great.

I have never heard the album in question, but I've also never heard a Beachboys song that I wanted to listen to twice.

Sh!t sounds like some vanilla pablum to me. Especially that "Sloop John B" turd.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    naw i appologize.

i was just kinda dissapointed in missbassies attitude. it was a joke and she knew it. did she really think i was tryin to pick her up?

it's all jokes people. dont take shit so serious

I guess there's just something about The Mack that freaks people out...

Peace

h

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

chris and myself are with you all the way here, hommes.

Pffft. Where were you this morning when Eric Clapton's 465 Ocean Blvd. was under assault?

Your love for the Marina is shallow like the inlets.

Don't you know? I was busting moves out in the real world. And Clapton. I don't know what to say about him. Weren't dudes talking about some off color comments he made about Hendrix? I was listening to Axis (again) today...and I can't stand for none of that Jimi bashing over here. My love goes out to all the private marina dudes doing their thang independently. Sure they may be inspired by Eric, but, well, I don't know what to follow this comment with, so I'll just stop here.

And is it just me, or does it seem that TheMack's taste has been exponentially improving as of late? Must be a growth spurt. Cheers young Mackarone. You will turn out to be a well-rounded man someday.

Birdman, you say you have multiples of pet sounds? "Yo let me holler at one of them."

naw i appologize.

i was just kinda dissapointed in missbassies attitude. it was a joke and she knew it. did she really think i was tryin to pick her up?

Peace

h

Yo, you can't fool me--I know a photoshopped picture when I see it!

TheMack doesn't really have an Electric Circus poster on his wall.

Also, I just want to say, that this thread has me wanting to go home and put on some Sly records. I haven't listened to Stand! in a long time. Fucking great records.

What was I listening to yesterday that fucking rules the world? Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers. Fuck yeah. Side B is for the real headz know the deal.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I go to class and come back to this thread to see it evolve from an intelligent conversation on taste to something about the_mack missing an ear and having a big dick?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    naw i appologize.

Peace

h

Yo, you can't fool me--I know a photoshopped picture when I see it!

TheMack doesn't really have an Electric Circus poster on his wall.
    they arent posters DAMNIT. i wanted to fill my wall with something so i had the most recent source magazine laying around and just cut out some adds from it

chris and myself are with you all the way here, hommes.

Pffft. Where were you this morning when Eric Clapton's 465 Ocean Blvd. was under assault?

Your love for the Marina is shallow like the inlets.

Birdman, you say you have multiples of pet sounds? "Yo let me holler at one of them."
    same here. ive only got the 70's Brother pressing and the Cd

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    see also Millennium 'Begin' if you havent already

see also Millennium 'Begin' if you havent already

the island is calling

• BTW: Real headz know that "Kokomo" is that real Beach Boys piff.

Okay, on the off-chance that someone thinks I was being serious, let me state that there is no song that defines my personal audio hell better than one mentioned above.

Carry on.

• chrischris 287 Posts

*produced by terry melcher by the way.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

I have never heard the album in question

Sh!t sounds like some vanilla pablum to me. Especially that "Sloop John B" turd.

So I don't get it, you've never heard the album, but Sloop John B is a turd? And with that I'm out, have a great weekend and happy passover bitches!

Okay, on the off-chance that someone thinks I was being serious, let me state that there is no song that defines my personal audio hell better than one mentioned above.

Carry on.

Damn. That's foul dude. I thought you could hang. I guess not. Your loss though.

I have never heard the album in question

So I don't get it, you've never heard the album, but Sloop John B is a turd? And with that I'm out, have a great weekend and happy passover bitches!

You left a sentence out of the quotation.

To clarify:

I have never heard that album in its entirety.

I've heard a bunch of Beachboys singles, though, at least one of which (the "Sloop John B" turd) was drawn from that album.

None of the material I have heard has ever made me want to do anything other than switch the radio station as quickly as possible.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    my boss at my old job in hunter's point lived in stockton. and when i say "in stockton" i mean he lived on a houseboat on the sacramento river somewhere near the port of stockton. once a week he'd drive that giant hunk of shit down the river to the bay and come to work. he was ex-navy. an ex-cop. ex-coke head. ex-con [federal]. heavy drinker. tacky shirt wearer. and a general down right piece of poo. dude loved him some beach boys tho.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    good album but I think its slightly overrated. I listen to it but I skip tracks while doing so

thank God for programmable CD players so I can avoid my least favorite tracks (four of them)

• I have never heard the album in question

You left a sentence out of the quotation.

To clarify:

I have never heard that album in its entirety.

I've heard a bunch of Beachboys singles, though, at least one of which (the "Sloop John B" turd) was drawn from that album.

None of the material I have heard has ever made me want to do anything other than switch the radio station as quickly as possible.

Faux just doesn't like the element that "that type of music" attracts.

Side note: He knows exactly how many white people have been in his house.

• Now with that being said, Conscious Zepplin?

new hybrid band?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Pet Sounds is beautiful and amazing; I am not envious of the circumstances that create a person that doesn???t like this album.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I learned a long time ago there are those people who think Brian Wilson is an absolute genius, and then there are the rest of us.

I'm listening to Jeff Beck Truth right now. Better singing, better songwriting, better instrumentation, better production. In my opinion.

The Byrds were kind of underground hippy band. That Mamas and Papas lp with California Dreaming is a better LP than Pet Sounds; better singing, better songwriting, better instrumentation, better production.

The Beach Boys did great summertime pop songs with close harmonys. Brian Wilson wanted to do more experimental farout stuff, then he went insane. I don't see how that makes Pet Sounds the greatest record ever.

Revolver came out in 1965, and Pet Sounds came out in 1966. So how can anyone say that the Beatles wouldn't have made the White Album with out Pet Sounds?

I will agree that the Beach Boys harmonys were more sophisticated and their pitch was better than the Beatles.

Just my opinion. I like lots of crap that other people don't. I like that Harry Belefonte Calypso record, so feel free to clown on me.

Dan

read up on it.

after the Beach Boys made Pet sounds, the beatles went in to try and make something that could equal it. i think paul was quoted as saying "god only knows" was the greatest song ever written.

• I bought a beat copy of Pet Sounds last weekend (it's a tough record to find in my experience) and listened to it a few times. Not bad.

Still think this is better:

Student Demonstration Time is one of the best protest songs ever and kills if I drop it in a set. A "Brian Wilson-worshipping 10 spins of Pet Sounds is the top 10 albums of all time Beach Boys freak" friend of mine HATES that song. Calls it the worst Beach Boys song ever. This could be a clue into the Pet Sounds mentality.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I got a mono copy for $10 at the last WLUW show. Price was right. But I've heard it before before before, if you know what I mean.

"God Only Knows" is probably one of the 60's best love songs, but I 've heard it 600 times. Vinyl missing original lustre.

• I can't help but be tainted by the many times my grade 7 music class had to sing 'god only knows'. I thought it was a shit song back then. I finally heard the original version around 95 and have grown to like it but have never really overcome that experience.
    I just can't get the awful voices from that class choir out of my head!

• I feel this is a good comparison...same year...same state.
    I vote this hands down!

WHATEVER!!!

Notorious Byrds borthers is VASTLY superior to that haphazard joint right there.. hell younger than yesterday is better than fith dimension.. obviously 8 miles high is the bomb but its pretty much all down hill from there on in.

there are only like two or three records of that era that can compare to Pets Sounds.

Zombies - Odyssey and Oracles
    Beatles - white album
    Love - Forever Changes

and all three of those wouldnt be the records they were if it wasnt for a MASSIVE dose of beach boys influence.

I wasn't stateing what I thought was the best Byrds record...I was comparing it to records that came out that same year. Notorious Byrd Brothers is practically a different band by then.

and all three of those wouldnt be the records they were if it wasnt for a MASSIVE dose of beach boys influence.

Your saying this...

was influenced by this...

Same year dawg!
    and these...

All 3 of these are way superior to Pet Sounds. Same time too! The Zombies record even came out the year before!

Beatles - white album
    Love - Forever Changes

"Pet Sounds like a wet fart compared to these."

• I feel this is a good comparison...same year...same state.
    I vote this hands down!

WHATEVER!!!

Notorious Byrds borthers is VASTLY superior to that haphazard joint right there.. hell younger than yesterday is better than fith dimension.. obviously 8 miles high is the bomb but its pretty much all down hill from there on in.

there are only like two or three records of that era that can compare to Pets Sounds.

Beatles - white album
    Love - Forever Changes

I wasn't stateing what I thought was the best Byrds record...I was comparing it to records that came out that same year. Notorious Byrd Brothers is practically a different band by then.

Your saying this...

was influenced by this...

Same year dawg!
    and these...

All 3 of these are way superior to Pet Sounds. Same time too! The Zombies record even came out the year before!

Beatles - white album
    Love - Forever Changes

"Pet Sounds like a wet fart compared to these."

cosign

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I just want to apoligize for being such a crumudgeon this week. I've been hating on the Beach Boys and Eric Clapton.

My opinions have not changed, but I hate to act like such a snob. I know lots of people with good musical taste think Clapton is god and the BBoys are the dogs nighties.

In defense of Pet Sounds, a famous hip hop producer/musician asked me to find him a mono original. I already knew he had the cd reissue stuff. So sometimes I wonder if I am missing something. (then I just listen to it again, nah not missin nuttin.)

Dan

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Oddysey and Oracle is the new Pet Sounds.

Yes, it's a nice record, but when did it become something that people universally cream their jeans over?

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    Never listened to this record. I can't help but think of Bob Odenkirk's Beach Boys' hilarity "Mouth Full of Sores," however. Anyone remember that from Mr. Show??