This gets better every time i listen to it

1235»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I saw Pet sounds in the bin at the Canby Record Show yesterday. I asked the dealer if it was the greatest record ever. "Just about" he said.

Dan

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    after the Beach Boys made Pet sounds, the beatles went in to try and make something that could equal it. i think paul was quoted as saying "god only knows" was the greatest song ever written.

He did say that at one time, but you missed the part where Brian Wilson was quoted saying that Pet Sounds was an effort to create something as good as Rubber Soul. Each one inspired the other, as every piece of music ever made was inspired by something that came before it. Trying to turn it into a chicken/egg debate is a pointless exercise.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    after the Beach Boys made Pet sounds, the beatles went in to try and make something that could equal it. i think paul was quoted as saying "god only knows" was the greatest song ever written.

He did say that at one time, but you missed the part where Brian Wilson was quoted saying that Pet Sounds was an effort to create something as good as Rubber Soul. Each one inspired the other, as every piece of music ever made was inspired by something that came before it. Trying to turn it into a chicken/egg debate is a pointless exercise.

wow, reviving a 5 year old post ? this must be some kind or record.

btw there are very few music acts that i hate more than the beach boys; elvis being one. not much is out there that i dislike more. i feel as if i've stepped into an bizarro world universe when i hear people who rank this group so highly.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    That's weird; this one showed up on the first page for me. I didn't even notice how old it was. That's pretty funny.

Just think, after the Web has been around for 50 years or so, someone like me may unwittingly comment on a 40 year old post, not realizing that the original participants are long dead.