What do you think about the NBA dress code?

Comments

• HAZ: Lebron is a beauty to watch. End of discussion.

So you don't agree that he would have been even more beautiful to watch if he was playing in an environment in which he would be unable to capitalize on his abilities and in which he would be surrounded by players that are far beneath him in terms of offering credible competition?

Players are rushed too often today - they burn bright & then burn out. This goes for the NHL, Pro Golf, what ever sport you like. I hope this isn't the case with LeBron. Everyone is different & develops @ at different pace, so its tough to say what should be the minimum age a player should be allowed to compete in a pro league. Its a tough call. If too many young guys try to go the LeBron route, you could end up seeing some talented players who never developed properly & won't play up to their potential. I bet NCAA players would have benifited playing against a guy like LeBron, even if they would have gotten slaughtered by him. It would have led to some pretty iconic moments in NCAA history for sure...I dunno, but, for me, I guess what it boils down to is that sports enterprises often morgage the future for the sake of a quick buck now.

Just stop--you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't mean to be a jerk about this but your presumption in wading into this argument in such an uninformed fashion is offensive to those of us that have put in the time learning something about the game, its politics and its culture.

And f**k the NCAA.

Chris Taft would beg to differ.

• I didn't know a point of view or argument could "contemplate" people. I guess you learn something every day.

I'm glad hammertime if you were able to take something away from this discussion. I don't think before you responded to my post it was a argument, or point of view. You took a bit of what I stated and didn't address the majority of what was said within my post as a whole. It was really talking about maybe opening oneself up to a view beyond their point of view a step toward effectivly communicating with others(communicate, this word has drived from the word common, the process of effective communication is to find some common understanding between 2 or more parties), and to open up the idea that things are not always what they seem. You seemed to pull your responce from one part of my statement(probably the part of my post you thought you could comprehend). The other thing that is somewhat amusing(well to tell the truth is rather saddening) is when you told everyone to stop talking about this cause it was pissing you off. I would just like to inform you that you determine your reality, and you chose what your reaction is going to be to a particular event. If we are pissing you off you are giving us way to much power over your life. To end this when you say in the above quote "I didn't know" that is about the most intellegent thing you have said in during the course of this entire thread. I appoligize for the dude where's my car statement's, I was just playing around.

As far as the game of basketball goes I think Miami has got a good shot at takin the whole thing.

I wasn't even responding you to, I was responding to someone else (????).

And I never said "everyone" should stop talking about this. One person said if I don't see it the way they do then they "don't know what to say to me" and I just said fine don't say anything. Anyway I can't really stand to read anymore of your crazy pseudo-philosophical babble and everyone else is clearly just going in circles with this (including myself), so I'm done with this thread. Life's too short
    Are you for real?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    On a completely different note: anybody who thinks NCAA basketball is somehow "better" than the NBA is fooling themselves. There are certain elements of the college game that are better (like the fact that it's just a bunch of kids over-coming and either performing-under-pressure or not), but there is nothing "better" about watching a bunch of mediocre kids jack up threes for 40 minutes. That's not "better basketball" because they swing the ball around more looking for open shots. It just means that the floor isn't as spread out (because the fucking three point line is so fucking close) so the only way to really create any space on the floor is to swing the ball. Not to mention the fact that 95% of the kids playing college ball aren't athletic enough to create space on the court without passing.

However, this doesn't mean that March Madness isn't the most fun sporting event to watch in American sports because it clearly is, but I really can't stand the college basketball apologists who think the game is somehow "more pure" than the NBA or something.

-e

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There are certain elements of the college game that are better

• "I feel like if they want us to dress a certain way, they should pay for our clothes,"

-Allen Iverson

Wrong Answer!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    And f**k the NCAA.

It's a shame to see the League remove the players' option to dress as one wishes,but this is a residual response to.....................

I dont think a dress code will fill the arenas.

Ps. Detroit will not be the same as last year & Miami is still a 2 man team.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Look man - anyway you try to slice it, the Pacers aren't going anywhere (again) this year, OK?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Miami is not going to have the season it did last year and I don't think they'll reach the conference finals, either.

Look man - anyway you try to slice it, the Pacers aren't going anywhere, OK?

"these guys have peaked, Im outta here. My hamptons estate needs new shingles."

Miami is not going to have the season it did last year and I don't think they'll reach the conference finals, either.

I went to Miami and all I got was this lousy Atlantic Division t-shirt.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

I'm sort of conflicted about the dress code decision. On the one hand, I would like to see my brothers dressed liked gentlemen and not appearing so "stereotypical". Yes, the powers that be think that young, urban-looking Black men with bling look like criminals. It doesn't help that a lot of NBA player act like, please pardon this expression, ignorant ass niggas. So to look and act the part of a buffoon is . For my White brethren out there, I'm letting you in on a secret about Black folks. Some of us don't like it when the ignorant among us make a parody of our race. So, on this one hand, I feel like the dress code thing may portray my young, Black brothas in a more favorable and respectable light (e.g., Sidney Poitier vs. Slappy White).

On the flipside, I don't agree with breaching peoples' civil liberties. Those brothas should have the right to dress how they choose, outside of wearing a freakin' thong to the arena. I think David Stern has crossed the line in this respect with the imposed dress code. I guess I can see both the good and bad in this issue, at least from my cultural vantage point, anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kalalak

• On the flipside, I don't agree with breaching peoples' civil liberties. Those brothas should have the right to dress how they choose, outside of wearing a freakin' thong to the arena. I think David Stern has crossed the line in this respect with the imposed dress code. I guess I can see both the good and bad in this issue, at least from my cultural vantage point, anyway.

fucking christ dude. can we finally agree (well not even agree, establish .. this isn't even a debatable point) that what one is allowed to wear to work is not a matter of civil liberties. we're talking about voluntary terms of employment.

some guys might bitch about it but they're not going to forego their 8-figure contracts to go play for maccabi tel aviv or skipper bologna so they can wear their chains to and from games.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    how about a compromise? make friday nba games hawaain shirt day?

im just gonna go off tangent...

something that bothers me about humanity is how people equate sophistication with your attire...you can be ruthless like a president, but if you're in those clothes, you seem intelligent, even if you're a c student, dont know what soverignity is yet try to explain it, or dress all in coordination as part of some fascist crew.

that said however, the nba is a business and they have a right to tell their players how to dress from a PR standpoint. dont like it, dont work for them. is this fair? i got to wear a shirt and tie at work. id like to wear my piercings and sheit, but thats not happening. people would like to have tattoos on their arms but dont do so, BLACK OR WHITE

is it race motivated? i'm not on a politically correct tip, but if i was black and people equated me with dressing up in baggy clothes, that would piss me the phuck off. saying that "black people dress like that". go phuck yourself. it is a part of youth culture the way some of them dress, just like bellbottoms back in the day, dont equate it with race. sure a lot may dress like that, and i'd never deprive them of their right to do that...if i had a company hell yeah people could dress like that on their way to work and on their way out of work, but not in my building if i was trying to promote a professional looking business and especially not when they're meeting with other clients (making a parallel to doing PR/interviews). of course im contradicting myself with what i state earlier, but its reality.

what makes this issue a little however is correct me if i'm wrong

its 2005!!! why the phuck didnt they just do this in the beginning?

ps: of all the race related threads on this board (and trust me, some have been great reads, informative, good debates), this one is the most ridiculous,what a waste of time, i need to be more cautious of the multiple paged threads i read. find something better to argue about.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Hey Guys,

I'm sort of conflicted about the dress code decision. On the one hand, I would like to see my brothers dressed liked gentlemen and not appearing so "stereotypical". Yes, the powers that be think that young, urban-looking Black men with bling look like criminals. It doesn't help that a lot of NBA player act like, please pardon this expression, ignorant ass niggas. So to look and act the part of a buffoon is . For my White brethren out there, I'm letting you in on a secret about Black folks. Some of us don't like it when the ignorant among us make a parody of our race. So, on this one hand, I feel like the dress code thing may portray my young, Black brothas in a more favorable and respectable light (e.g., Sidney Poitier vs. Slappy White).

On the flipside, I don't agree with breaching peoples' civil liberties. Those brothas should have the right to dress how they choose, outside of wearing a freakin' thong to the arena. I think David Stern has crossed the line in this respect with the imposed dress code. I guess I can see both the good and bad in this issue, at least from my cultural vantage point, anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kalalak

Once again, my brotha, we are pretty much in total agreement. Goddamn, maybe my smart dumb ass shouldn't have dropped outta my first semester of community college to pursue a career in random rap... seeing as our brains are so similar, maybe I coulda been college professor material too.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    NBA FAN = 16 TO 30

NFL FAN = 25 TO 40

MLB FAN = 40 +

Dress code = dumb ass move

it is almost impossible to market a product to people who are not interested in the first place....and in the attempt to market the product to the wealthy you may alienate the die hard fan .....

eventhough Mr stern does not see "mr rich white man" at the games and hears "mr rich white man" say he doesn't like todays game...."mr rich white man" is buying tickets,jerseys,poster etc for his "wigger" son while HE is at the baseball game ..."wigger kid" does not want to see Iverson in a tie...when "wigger kid" sees Iverson in a suit,"wigger kid" will move on and have dad spend his money elsewhere

despite what anyone thinks wealthy white men do buy NBA tickets.. not for themselves...but either to impress "young hot chick" on a date or "young wigger kid" at home

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    or "young wigger kid" at home

um, we prefer the term "wegro." thanks.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    how about a compromise? make friday nba games hawaain shirt day?

Yeeeeeaaaaah, if you'd like, you can go ahead and have fun with that.

(P.S. I find the argument that folks are gonna say, "Aaaah, man, Iverson's wearing a suit instead of ice and a throwback! I officially don't care about NBA basketball anymore" to be more than a little silly. And yet not the silliest thing said in this thread. Carry on.)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    NBA FAN = 16 TO 30

NFL FAN = 25 TO 40

MLB FAN = 40 +

Post these numbers to FAN THAT GOTO GAMES. Every pro sport has a higher average of 30-45 year old white guys.

Wearing merchandise is a totally different matter.

I never saw the press release on this. Is there a link online somewhere?

Did Stern actually give examples? aKa "Thug Wear"? Within the press release?

If so, that was kinda suspect if they did.

If all they said was that there was going to be a dress code enforced now, I don't know if it was racially motivated. I'm betting this is a direct response to the whole fight last year and the NBA had to make it look like they were doing something about it and the dress code was one of the issues brought up.

Reminds me of some of the things they are doing to Hockey the last few years. With respects to fighting.

Anyways, I do think there should be a dress code. In all sports. A pro sport is a business. When you work for a company, you represent said company. When millions are on the line, you don't show up in joggers and a shirt almost to the ground. Casual dress is getting off easy in my mind. If I owned a team, I'd be asking full suit and tie whenever you are at any thing representing my team. When you are representing yourself (Endorsements or your private life), get on with ur bad self, however you get down (that???s "your" time).

I remember when I was 12 and played at a big hockey tournament in the US. My coach told us all to wear a dress shirt and tie for everything we did while we were down there. He didn't want Americans thinking we were all Canadian lumberjack punks from the great white north. Thats how it was for almost everything in sports I did from then on.

C'est La Vie

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    (P.S. I find the argument that folks are gonna say, "Aaaah, man, Iverson's wearing a suit instead of ice and a throwback! I officially don't care about NBA basketball anymore" to be more than a little silly. And yet not the silliest thing said in this thread. Carry on.)

I think that's about as unlikely as folks sayin "Iverson's wearin a suit now? really? honey get the kids! we're going to the basketball game!"

does anybody really think the dress code is going to have any effect on the nba's popularity?

I think that's about as unlikely as folks sayin "Iverson's wearin a suit now? really? honey get the kids! we're going to the basketball game!"

does anybody really think the dress code is going to have any effect on the nba's popularity?

I completely agree with the above as well. I understand that they're doing it as an image makeover, but I really don't think they're going to see much of a return on it.

I completely agree with the above as well. I understand that they're doing it as an image makeover, but I really don't think they're going to see much of a return on it.

It's just an illusion of professionalism. We all know what's behind the
    nice guy facade of some players.......................

It's doesnt amount to shit...........suit or not.

What'd I tell ya'll?

Posted on Fri, Oct. 21, 2005

Sports clothier finds victory in NBA dress code. And now, vintage blazers.[/b]

By Don Steinberg

INQUIRER SPORTS WRITER

One sports fashionista who is surprisingly calm about the new NBA dress code is Peter Capolino, owner of Philadelphia's Mitchell & Ness.[/b]

You might think Capolino would be panicking, now that NBA commisioner David Stern has ordered players to wear sports jackets while not in uniform during games and "business casual" attire during game-related travel.

After all, Mitchell & Ness became a national sensation when players, rap singers and their fans began wearing the company's pricey replicas of old sports uniforms in even the most formal settings.

"It's actually very good for my business," Capolino said of the dress code yesterday. In fact, he's coming out with a line of vintage gabardine wool blazers he thinks will fit the new rules nicely.

Each will be based on a real blazer sports-stadium ushers wore in the past, and each will have an authentic team logo on it. The first, modeled after an usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium, will go on sale in December for $300.

"Right now, I'm at a meeting wearing a beautiful 1961 usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium," he said on the telephone. "And I'll bet you that Allen Iverson will be wearing one sometime soon."[/b]

Capolino admits that the dress code may limit "some of the extraordinary exposure I've gotten over the last few years," but also anticipates a "slight rebellion" among players who, he observes, have been becoming more fashionable on their own in recent years and may resent being told what to wear.

Capolino says he doesn't pay players to wear his apparel. "I really don't give away a lot," he said. "These athletes have so much money, and I think if they buy it, it has more value to them."[/b]

Retro jerseys generally cost from $250 to $350.

Mitchell & Ness' vintage usher blazers won't be the only choice for players and fans who want their sportswear to be, literally, sports wear.

Last year, in a licensing deal with the NBA, Headmaster of Santa Ana, Calif., began selling a line of button-down dress shirts available with logos of most NBA teams worked into their print patterns. They were in the style of the colorful striped shirts popularized by rapper Jay Z.

Of course, Mitchell & Ness may find a different singer to be a more appropriate spokesman for its new line: Usher.

Contact staff writer Don Steinberg at 215-854-4981 or [email]dsteinberg@phillynews.com
    [/email].

Each will be based on a real blazer sports-stadium ushers wore in the past, and each will have an authentic team logo on it. The first, modeled after an usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium, will go on sale in December for $300.

"Right now, I'm at a meeting wearing a beautiful 1961 usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium," he said on the telephone. "And I'll bet you that Allen Iverson will be wearing one sometime soon."

I don't know.

My dad might think this was a neat and nostalgic novelty, but I don't really see AI or Carmelo in one of these. An usher?

What'd I tell ya'll?

Posted on Fri, Oct. 21, 2005

Sports clothier finds victory in NBA dress code. And now, vintage blazers.[/b]
    By Don Steinberg
    INQUIRER SPORTS WRITER

Im not seein' this in the streets. I cant imagine 17 year olds rockin' blazers w/ logos on it.

But the old usher-style w/out the logo iz cool.

• An usher?

AW HELL NAW.

colorful striped shirts popularized by rapper Jay Z[/b].

An usher?

AW HELL NAW.

Not to be confused with an ursher...

Even Jay's ability to dictate fashion has its limits.

When he started rocking ties a year or so ago, I was really looking forward to seeing the young street pharmacists that do business on my corner adopt that look, but it has yet to happen...

Even Jay's ability to dictate fashion has its limits.

When he started rocking ties a year or so ago, I was really looking forward to seeing the young street pharmacists that do business on my corner adopt that look, but it has yet to happen...

And it wont, reflecting an anti-establishment vibe in the hood.

"Right now, I'm at a meeting wearing a beautiful 1961 usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium," he said on the telephone. "And I'll bet you that Allen Iverson will be wearing one sometime soon."

I don't know.

My dad might think this was a neat and nostalgic novelty, but I don't really see AI or Carmelo in one of these. An usher?

People wear white T-shirts that look like fucking dresses. I wouldn't dismiss anything as a potential fashion these days.