What do you think about the NBA dress code?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    ZING!!!!!

• Did anyone hear Phil Jackson ripping hip-hop culture in reference to this? He was not nice. I have to say that I am of two minds about the whole thing. I think its silly to tell grown men what to wear. But at the same time, I bemoan the macho/rebellion of youth culture in general today. I suppose it is no different from any other post WWII era. But for lots of kids not being able to buy into middle class cultural values (wearing "boring" clothes, aspiring to be a property owner) seems like a double edge sword that just continues to reinforce society's already racist views. Ghandi took an interesting approach to the cultural aspect of liberation. He was at once at very traditional person (piety, diet, ayuverdic medicine) who felt that Indians needed to take more personal repsonsibility by adopting certain western attitudes around development and organization. Few people know that he spent years talking about issues like sanitation in villages, etc. I would love hip-hop to remain true to its outsider status but adopt a more forward looking philosophy. One that might even begin to draw some of us old fucks into the mix. That said I think that Stern is doing this for the money/public image. This whole issue makes me realize how bought into the system I have become. Sorry for the rambling post.

its okay, i only read the first two sentences and the last.

simple minded? here? Noooooooo!

simple midedabada

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    stick with it larry. it will be funny again at some point.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    stick with it larry. it will be funny again at some point.

SABABABABABABAABABABAAAAAAA...

• This looks like Flash Gordon just found out that Emperor Ming was cheating on him...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think foosball and croquet still enforce a loose dress code.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Basketball is a "sport" requiring only that players wear uniforms while playing.

The NBA is a "business" which has a limited right to extend it's control beyond the court so as to portray an image which is wholesome and professional.

Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

cosigned.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Did anyone hear Phil Jackson ripping hip-hop culture in reference to this?

That guy is a terd... I have never felt him.

• Damn, these corps basically want hip hop/urban dollars yet at the end of the day they want us to do that old suit and tie dance and bow down to them being the boss aka "THE MAN". An example of this that happened to me was, I was down DJing at the MAGIC clothing convention in Vegas and basically I overheard that they were trying to tone it down, they didn't want b-boys and all that real hip hop stuff cause the garmento's had their panties all in a bunch. Trying to say it was affecting their bizness. They basically asked the DJs to keep it more mellow. WTF? Point being is they are some real suckas. Let's see if these players got enough guts to all start showing up rockin Ice and throwbacks. If they all did it Mr. Stern couldn't do shit. At least WWE isn't making their athelets act like this.

all i know is that come november 2nd, the sonics are gonna turn y'all outside seattle into this...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Basketball is a "sport" requiring only that players wear uniforms while playing.

The NBA is a "business" which has a limited right to extend it's control beyond the court so as to portray an image which is wholesome and professional.

Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

Agreed.

Really, I don't have that much sympathy for a bunch of people who make more money in one year for playing a game than I ever will see in my entire life crying over how they can't floss ice and throwbacks when sitting courtside. You're overprivileged enough as it is; I'm really not interested in your self-pity parties.

• Throw on a suit get it tapered up, and let's just change clothes...

It's a business. I don't like that I can't wear jeans at work (dress jeans? Rogan? Gucci? Huh?), but I'm getting paid, so I'm not compaining. Of course I'd rather wear whatever I want, but my company dictates that. Cool.

It does smack a bit of racism, though. NBA as in No "Black" Attire? Maybe it's just cause most players in the league are black, but it smells stifling to me. I mean, headbands aren't "black" and chains aren't "black," but in this instance it seems like that's where the words fall. I like how David Stern anticipated that reaction and tried to deflect any accusatory finger-pointing by bringing up Mark Cuban as an example. Eh.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Let's see if these players got enough guts to all start showing up rockin Ice and throwbacks. If they all did it Mr. Stern couldn't do shit.

Fines and suspension are the likely penalties, and I doubt many players will continue to put their careers in jeopardy for the sake of self-expression. What wouldn't surprise me though, is the amount of creativity that players will use to bend the rules, and create a headache for Stern - which I believe he deserves.

Perhaps something in the spirit of...

YUM.

Damn, these corps basically want hip hop/urban dollars yet at the end of the day they want us to do that old suit and tie dance and bow down to them being the boss aka "THE MAN". An example of this that happened to me was, I was down DJing at the MAGIC clothing convention in Vegas and basically I overheard that they were trying to tone it down, they didn't want b-boys and all that real hip hop stuff cause the garmento's had their panties all in a bunch. Trying to say it was affecting their bizness. They basically asked the DJs to keep it more mellow. WTF? Point being is they are some real suckas. Let's see if these players got enough guts to all start showing up rockin Ice and throwbacks. If they all did it Mr. Stern couldn't do shit. At least WWE isn't making their athelets act like this.

yeah he couldn't do shit except start fining the shit outta everyone.

did you really just compare the NBA to the WWE???

man, lenny kravitz fell the fuck off.

I don't like that I can't wear jeans at work (dress jeans? Rogan? Gucci? Huh?)

Edit your post before anyone else sees this.

Maybe it's just cause most players in the league are black

well yeah i think that's it. just because it affects more black people than white doesn't automatically make it "racist". In fact I think using the word "racist" in this instance is kinda despicable and just waters down the term.

• I don't like that I can't wear jeans at work (dress jeans? Rogan? Gucci? Huh?)

Too flagrant? Ernest Sewn?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

I wish I could dress up for work without being ridiculed.

Anytime I wear a button shirt the comments start rolling.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I wish I could dress up for work without being ridiculed.

Anytime I wear a button shirt the comments start rolling.

Do they point at you and say "why is that man dressed like Jay Z?"

• Options
    Ties are for suckers. Left mine on my former bosses big bank desk and haven't needed it yet (well, not that one).

K.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Do they point at you and say "why is that man dressed like Jay Z?"

Basically, yes, but I'm not quite at the Jay-Z level with my steez yet.

• Maybe it's just cause most players in the league are black

well yeah i think that's it. just because it affects more black people than white doesn't automatically make it "racist". In fact I think using the word "racist" in this instance is kinda despicable and just waters down the term.

Seems to me like they're trying to de-hip-hopify the league.

• Do they point at you and say "why is that man dressed like Jay Z?"

Basically, yes, but I'm not quite at the Jay-Z level with my steez yet.

You're flashing those Ted Baker suits. You should make some Burton ties. just with some small snowboard at the tip or in the middle on some prada steez.

that's their right. i'm guessing if some professional sport had a bunch of athletes who listened to goth music and wore black nailpolish and all kinds of crazy makeup and piercings they'd put a stop to that too.

i don't understand what all the commotion is about, they didn't tell these guys how to dress at home, they're at work and you play by the rules or you pay the price (literally in this case). The rest of America deals with it every day without the 7+ figure paychecks. So fuck 'em.

• Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

If only the problem were just as simple as racism but it's more then that. It has to do with control and conditioning on many levels. It is rather tuff to change the way we think about these things because these ideas are supported by mass thought. There are many ways to look at this. For all those that say that NBA players should dress in ties and slacks, if you could ask your self were does this thought come from, that would be a start. Second for people who think they should be able to wear all this so called hip-hop gear, ask yourself were does this idea come from? How we respond to our cultural conditioning is something really worth looking into. I mean a point could be raised to say that NBA players are role models to lots of kids. On that same note, these kids see their NBA heros submitting to some one, basically being dominated. Now David Stern has said the 56 cents of every dollar goes to the players.(these kind of statements always seem to pop up in the media presented as data to support a fact, even though the fact they are presenting is not really the truth) Well there are way more players then owners, so if we do the math it's not that hard to see that the owners share is much bigger then the indiviual player(Stern makes it seem that the player are the ones making the most money in the league, which is like saying if you worked for a factory that had 10,000 workers and the workers collective sallery was 70% of the profit brought in that year that the workers were more profitable than the owner who walked away with 30% of the profit himself). So even on this level that these kids want to aspire to, the message is still being sent that they should follow. Following can be a dangerous thing. Especially when following the follower. I would also bring up that when they listed the dress code it seemed that it wasn't targeted at people who dress in a let's say "rural fashion".

The way I like to look at is that the world is a stage and you can play any part and act any way you would like. I would like to share a little story with you,
    I once went and did a DJ demonstration at a re-entry program for teens that had gotten into trouble with their schools. I went to this presentation dressed in a business suit. When I entered the room the teens were circled around in a reading group, as soon as they saw me they started whispering. I heard them say that Charles and Cindy(the program directors) were probably in trouble. I was chuckling inside to myself this was just what I had hoped would happen. I waited quietly observing for about ten minutes then I walked over to the turn tables and just went off on the cut, these kids eyes bugged out of their heads. One of the younger ones said "damn, that boy can cut it up" It was like I caught them totally off gaurd. It was a nice way to grab their attention. Then they all came over and I proceeded with the demonstration. I was talking about DJing and some motivational things, the one thing I really impressed upon them was that things are not always what they seem, and that they should always question things for themselves. For me I was just messin with them. Life is so much fun.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Dress code? Tell that to this man...

If only the problem were just as simple as racism but it's more then that. It has to do with control and conditioning on many levels. It is rather tuff to change the way we think about these things because these ideas are supported by mass thought. There are many ways to look at this. For all those that say that NBA players should dress in ties and slacks, if you could ask your self were does this thought come from, that would be a start. Second for people who think they should be able to wear all this so called hip-hop gear, ask yourself were does this idea come from? How we respond to our cultural conditioning is something really worth looking into. I mean a point could be raised to say that NBA players are role models to lots of kids. On that same note, these kids see their NBA heros submitting to some one, basically being dominated. Now David Stern has said the 56 cents of every dollar goes to the players.(these kind of statements always seem to pop up in the media presented as data to support a fact, even though the fact they are presenting is not really the truth) Well there are way more players then owners, so if we do the math it's not that hard to see that the owners share is much bigger then the indiviual player(Stern makes it seem that the player are the ones making the most money in the league, which is like saying if you worked for a factory that had 10,000 workers and the workers collective sallery was 70% of the profit brought in that year that the workers were more profitable than the owner who walked away with 30% of the profit himself). So even on this level that these kids want to aspire to, the message is still being sent that they should follow. Following can be a dangerous thing. Especially when following the follower. I would also bring up that when they listed the dress code it seemed that it wasn't targeted at people who dress in a let's say "rural fashion".

The way I like to look at is that the world is a stage and you can play any part and act any way you would like. I would like to share a little story with you,
    I once went and did a DJ demonstration at a re-entry program for teens that had gotten into trouble with their schools. I went to this presentation dressed in a business suit. When I entered the room the teens were circled around in a reading group, as soon as they saw me they started whispering. I heard them say that Charles and Cindy(the program directors) were probably in trouble. I was chuckling inside to myself this was just what I had hoped would happen. I waited quietly observing for about ten minutes then I walked over to the turn tables and just went off on the cut, these kids eyes bugged out of their heads. One of the younger ones said "damn, that boy can cut it up" It was like I caught them totally off gaurd. It was a nice way to grab their attention. Then they all came over and I proceeded with the demonstration. I was talking about DJing and some motivational things, the one thing I really impressed upon them was that things are not always what they seem, and that they should always question things for themselves. For me I was just messin with them. Life is so much fun.

how many NBA players dress in a "rural" fashion? Of course they're going to specifically mention the things that come up the most, that just makes sense.

Hasn't there been a dress code for coaches for years? I wonder if as many people whined about that.

that's their right. i'm guessing if some professional sport had a bunch of athletes who listened to goth music and wore black nailpolish and all kinds of crazy makeup and piercings they'd put a stop to that too.

That is a stupid analogy.