What do you think about the NBA dress code?

12345679»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    how about a compromise? make friday nba games hawaain shirt day?

im just gonna go off tangent...

something that bothers me about humanity is how people equate sophistication with your attire...you can be ruthless like a president, but if you're in those clothes, you seem intelligent, even if you're a c student, dont know what soverignity is yet try to explain it, or dress all in coordination as part of some fascist crew.

that said however, the nba is a business and they have a right to tell their players how to dress from a PR standpoint. dont like it, dont work for them. is this fair? i got to wear a shirt and tie at work. id like to wear my piercings and sheit, but thats not happening. people would like to have tattoos on their arms but dont do so, BLACK OR WHITE

is it race motivated? i'm not on a politically correct tip, but if i was black and people equated me with dressing up in baggy clothes, that would piss me the phuck off. saying that "black people dress like that". go phuck yourself. it is a part of youth culture the way some of them dress, just like bellbottoms back in the day, dont equate it with race. sure a lot may dress like that, and i'd never deprive them of their right to do that...if i had a company hell yeah people could dress like that on their way to work and on their way out of work, but not in my building if i was trying to promote a professional looking business and especially not when they're meeting with other clients (making a parallel to doing PR/interviews). of course im contradicting myself with what i state earlier, but its reality.

what makes this issue a little however is correct me if i'm wrong

its 2005!!! why the phuck didnt they just do this in the beginning?

ps: of all the race related threads on this board (and trust me, some have been great reads, informative, good debates), this one is the most ridiculous,what a waste of time, i need to be more cautious of the multiple paged threads i read. find something better to argue about.

Good points, Alien. I guess I didn't exactly equate playing in the NBA with a 9 to 5, but it is their job, no matter how non-traditional. It's ironic that I say this since I'm sittin' here in my school office wearing a Russell windsuit and some Nikes . Relax (for those ice-grillin' me), it's a non-teaching day. I dress down when I'm writing my papers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    How about a compromise? make Friday NBA games Hawaiian shirt day?[/b]

This would be great!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Each will be based on a real blazer sports-stadium ushers wore in the past, and each will have an authentic team logo on it. The first, modeled after an usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium, will go on sale in December for $300.

"Right now, I'm at a meeting wearing a beautiful 1961 usher's blazer from Yankee Stadium," he said on the telephone. "And I'll bet you that Allen Iverson will be wearing one sometime soon."

I don't know.

My dad might think this was a neat and nostalgic novelty, but I don't really see AI or Carmelo in one of these.

My God, I hope they have enough sense not to wear that bullschitt.

I just wonder how specific the dress code is. I mean, will Massa Stern be ok if dudes start rockin' loud Dapper Dan-esque fake Gucci or Vuitton dress suits with logos printed all over them? How about Bishop Don Juan pimp suits, and if they're all right can they also carry a bejeweled pimp cup with Gatorade in it when they sit on the bench? It may have jewels on it but technically they wouldn't be wearing jewelry. Can they possibly strut into the arena with a walking stick (pimp cane)?
    I personally think it's more appropriate to wear a suit than a throwback or a 7X white tee if you're injured and sitting on the bench during a game. But if dudes really want to protest this dress code I think they can put together some ensembles that might make Stern rethink the whole damn rule.

• Even Jay's ability to dictate fashion has its limits.

When he started rocking ties a year or so ago, I was really looking forward to seeing the young street pharmacists that do business on my corner adopt that look, but it has yet to happen...

I have nothing productive to add to this thread, but faux rillz this would definitely get that Alf-style 'Ha'.

On some latenight talkshow monolog steez with that one.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    (P.S. I find the argument that folks are gonna say, "Aaaah, man, Iverson's wearing a suit instead of ice and a throwback! I officially don't care about NBA basketball anymore" to be more than a little silly.

maybe..maybe not...the NBA is more about image,style and culture these days than it is about the actual game...to be quite honest the game sucks for the most part..only die hard fans and "hip hop heads" follow the nba these days..

think about it....Tim Duncan is probably the best player in the entire league but nobodys buying his jersey and dude doesn't have his own sneaker...why?...because "hip hop" kids aint tryna be like Duncan and the

folks Stern is trying to attract dont wear jerseys or sneakers to begin with

merchandising is just as important as ticket sales...and if Stern turns these dudes into robots the merchandising and sales will drop to shit

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    of all the race related threads on this board (and trust me, some have been great reads, informative, good debates), this one is the most ridiculous,what a waste of time, i need to be more cautious of the multiple paged threads i read. find something better to argue about.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, will Massa Stern be ok if dudes start rockin' loud Dapper Dan-esque fake Gucci or Vuitton dress suits with logos printed all over them? How about Bishop Don Juan pimp suits, and if they're all right can they also carry a bejeweled pimp cup with Gatorade in it when they sit on the bench? It may have jewels on it but technically they wouldn't be wearing jewelry. Can they possibly strut into the arena with a walking stick (pimp cane)?

This is the type of thinking that we are looking for...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

think about it....Tim Duncan is probably the best player in the entire league but nobodys buying his jersey and dude doesn't have his own sneaker...why?...because "hip hop" kids aint tryna be like Duncan and the
    folks Stern is trying to attract dont wear jerseys or sneakers to begin with

Eh... I don't if it's the fact that Duncan is so uninfluenced by hip-hop so much as it is that he's just plain boring...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I mean, will Massa Stern be ok if dudes start rockin' loud Dapper Dan-esque fake Gucci or Vuitton dress suits with logos printed all over them? How about Bishop Don Juan pimp suits, and if they're all right can they also carry a bejeweled pimp cup with Gatorade in it when they sit on the bench? It may have jewels on it but technically they wouldn't be wearing jewelry. Can they possibly strut into the arena with a walking stick (pimp cane)?

This is the type of thinking that we are looking for...

• i think american leagues have too much to say in what players do,where they go etc..

no matter what anybody wears,does,says - the game is what brings people into arenas,the love of the sport.

rodman may be a cross dressing strange person to people magazine but for real fans he was a great player first.

who cares what they wear..