What do you think about the NBA dress code?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

read the top of this little quote spiderhole and you'll see where I'm pulling this America = NBA argument from

But seriously this is a private company asking its employees to maintain a particular type of dress while on the clock. These peole aren't forced to dress this way they can always quit their job and look for emplyment elsewhere. I'm sure it isn't going to be any problem for these guys to find someone to pay them the same salary to wear what they want.

long story short they want to make the money they do and earn a chance at the endorsements they get then they gonna have to play by the rules Donald Stern lays out for them.

Adam, again, nobody is arguing that the League lacks the legal right to impose a dress code, and nobody in this thread that has offered a substantive argument has framed it in legal terms.

Why are you struggling with this?

My main thing about this shit is that this rule is clearly an attempt at appeasing the white audience. But, shouldn't we expect white people to accept black people on their own terms anyway? If these black kids wanna dress this way, fine. Why the fuck we gotta dress 'em up in white-face in order for these rich fuckos copping expensive seats to accept 'em?

real talk

it wouldn't be a problem if it was about sport or being professional.

but it's about david stern trying to get nfl money with the nba.

and he thinks the way to do this is by cleaning it up for middle america.

Maybe he's hoping that if they players start carring themselves in a professional manner that they will take more pride in their jobs & start performing on the court. Folks have been waiting for the inheritor of Jordan's crown to step forward & while there are a gang of talented folks in the NBA, nobody is making history right now. That must really suck for marketing.

Oh f**k. I'm gagging right now.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    he's trying to get the street/hip-hop/urban aspect out of the sport.

If that were really true, then you wouldn't see these sports shows that are little more than music videos with some basketball highlights dropped in.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My main thing about this shit is that this rule is clearly an attempt at appeasing the white audience. But, shouldn't we expect white people to accept black people on their own terms anyway? If these black kids wanna dress this way, fine. Why the fuck we gotta dress 'em up in white-face in order for these rich fuckos copping expensive seats to accept 'em?

real talk

it wouldn't be a problem if it was about sport or being professional.

but it's about david stern trying to get nfl money with the nba.

and he thinks the way to do this is by cleaning it up for middle america.

Maybe he's hoping that if they players start carring themselves in a professional manner that they will take more pride in their jobs & start performing on the court. Folks have been waiting for the inheritor of Jordan's crown to step forward & while there are a gang of talented folks in the NBA, nobody is making history right now. That must really suck for marketing.

Nobody is making history? What about all the young stars in the league? You're saying that what Lebron is doing on the stat sheet before he can even legally purchase alcohol isn't history in the making, or even a plus for marketing??

And trust me, how players dress off the court has no coreelation to their performance on the court. It's strictly a dog and pony show.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    he's trying to get the street/hip-hop/urban aspect out of the sport.

If that were really true, then you wouldn't see these sports shows that are little more than music videos with some basketball highlights dropped in.

does stern have anything to do with those shows?

if he had his way he'd axe those, and all the streetball on whatever espn isn't showing poker.

nobody is making history right now

PSA:

will all the folks who know nothing about the NBA please stop talking/typing about the NBA.

Thanks.

PSA:

will all the folks who know nothing about the NBA please stop talking/typing about the NBA.

Thanks.

For the record: rap is quoting HAZ, not me.

• How come they never banned nose picking?

(This picture is of a spotted nose picker and used as a random example. It is in no reference to NBA players, based on skin tone. It is based totally on if the player picked his nose or not.)

I mean this is socially, a no no. Yet "they" just didn't want to touch this topic.(pun intended)

I dare someone to dispute this.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

read the top of this little quote spiderhole and you'll see where I'm pulling this America = NBA argument from

But seriously this is a private company asking its employees to maintain a particular type of dress while on the clock. These peole aren't forced to dress this way they can always quit their job and look for emplyment elsewhere. I'm sure it isn't going to be any problem for these guys to find someone to pay them the same salary to wear what they want.

long story short they want to make the money they do and earn a chance at the endorsements they get then they gonna have to play by the rules Donald Stern lays out for them.

Adam, again, nobody is arguing that the League lacks the legal right to impose a dress code, and nobody in this thread that has offered a substantive argument has framed it in legal terms.

Plain and simple I want more people to look at this as a business idea and not a major issue of civil rights.

I only jumped in this thread after I saw it blow up and read things mentioning lynching, white supremecy and the NBA dress code in the same paragraph. At that point this whole thing jumped 10 levels past the ridiculous.

I don't think I can add anymore to my point so I'm done speaking on this issue.

Fight the good fight people the downtrodden victims of this need a voice to speak out for them.

PSA:

Thanks.

No worries I think you've showed yourself to be quite knowledgeable about the topic at hand.

Now if we could get a few of you folks to admit that Miami is going to run the east then we can call it a day.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

PSA:

Thanks.

Pro sports across the board are going through a major lull right now. The only league that has it going on right now is the NFL & that's because of The Patriots dynasty.

And LeBron should have played college ball.

PSA:

Thanks.

No worries I think you've showed yourself to be quite knowledgeable about the topic at hand.

Now if we could get a few of you folks to admit that Miami is going to run the east then we can call it a day.

I'm not about to jump off my lifetime Pistons bandwagon and onto anybody elses or anything, but if it isn't Detroit this year, it will definitely be Miami.

And LeBron should have played college ball.

Dude, just stop.

And LeBron Kwame Brown should have played college ball.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    And the old "We should ignore relatively minor incidents of racism because making a fuss will condition people to ignore more significant incidents" really only contemplates one class of such "people": racists

so if anything else was the "widely embraced fashion" it would no longer be racist? also, that last sentence doesn't make sense.

Get your reading comprehension game up.

Batch.

Use "contemplates" correctly and we'll be straight.

Lebron seems to support the dress code.

FYI, that is a correct usage of "contemplates"

Penalty, five yards

To look at attentively and thoughtfully.
    To consider carefully and at length; meditate on or ponder: contemplated the problem from all sides; contemplated the mystery of God.
    To have in mind as an intention or possibility: contemplate marriage; forced by the accident to contemplate retirement.

I didn't know a point of view or argument could "contemplate" people. I guess you learn something every day.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'm not about to jump off my lifetime Pistons bandwagon

you need to

And the old "We should ignore relatively minor incidents of racism because making a fuss will condition people to ignore more significant incidents" really only contemplates one class of such "people": racists

so if anything else was the "widely embraced fashion" it would no longer be racist? also, that last sentence doesn't make sense.

Get your reading comprehension game up.

Batch.

Use "contemplates" correctly and we'll be straight.

Lebron seems to support the dress code.

FYI, that is a correct usage of "contemplates"

Penalty, five yards

To look at attentively and thoughtfully.
    To consider carefully and at length; meditate on or ponder: contemplated the problem from all sides; contemplated the mystery of God.
    To have in mind as an intention or possibility: contemplate marriage; forced by the accident to contemplate retirement.

I didn't know a point of view or argument could "contemplate" people. I guess you learn something every day.

Dude, just stop.

• I didn't know a point of view or argument could "contemplate" people. I guess you learn something every day.

I'm glad hammertime if you were able to take something away from this discussion. I don't think before you responded to my post it was a argument, or point of view. You took a bit of what I stated and didn't address the majority of what was said within my post as a whole. It was really talking about maybe opening oneself up to a view beyond their point of view a step toward effectivly communicating with others(communicate, this word has drived from the word common, the process of effective communication is to find some common understanding between 2 or more parties), and to open up the idea that things are not always what they seem. You seemed to pull your responce from one part of my statement(probably the part of my post you thought you could comprehend). The other thing that is somewhat amusing(well to tell the truth is rather saddening) is when you told everyone to stop talking about this cause it was pissing you off. I would just like to inform you that you determine your reality, and you chose what your reaction is going to be to a particular event. If we are pissing you off you are giving us way to much power over your life. To end this when you say in the above quote "I didn't know" that is about the most intellegent thing you have said in during the course of this entire thread. I appoligize for the dude where's my car statement's, I was just playing around.

As far as the game of basketball goes I think Miami has got a good shot at takin the whole thing.

"The other thing that is somewhat amusing(well to tell the truth is rather saddening) is when you told everyone to stop talking about this cause it was pissing you off. I would just like to inform you that you determine your reality, and you chose what your reaction is going to be to a particular event. If we are pissing you off you are giving us way to much power over your life."

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I'm glad hammertime if you were able to take something away from this discussion. I don't think before you responded to my post it was a argument, or point of view. You took a bit of what I stated and didn't address the majority of what was said within my post as a whole. It was really talking about maybe opening oneself up to a view beyond their point of view a step toward effectivly communicating with others(communicate, this word has drived from the word common, the process of effective communication is to find some common understanding between 2 or more parties), and to open up the idea that things are not always what they seem. You seemed to pull your responce from one part of my statement(probably the part of my post you thought you could comprehend). The other thing that is somewhat amusing(well to tell the truth is rather saddening) is when you told everyone to stop talking about this cause it was pissing you off. I would just like to inform you that you determine your reality, and you chose what your reaction is going to be to a particular event. If we are pissing you off you are giving us way to much power over your life. To end this when you say in the above quote "I didn't know" that is about the most intellegent thing you have said in during the course of this entire thread. I appoligize for the dude where's my car statement's, I was just playing around.

As far as the game of basketball goes I think Miami has got a good shot at takin the whole thing.

I wasn't even responding you to, I was responding to someone else (????).

And I never said "everyone" should stop talking about this. One person said if I don't see it the way they do then they "don't know what to say to me" and I just said fine don't say anything. Anyway I can't really stand to read anymore of your crazy pseudo-philosophical babble and everyone else is clearly just going in circles with this (including myself), so I'm done with this thread. Life's too short

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

PSA:

Thanks.

Take that shit to Espn.com!

kidding yo.

I wasn't even responding you to, I was responding to someone else (????).

And I never said "everyone" should stop talking about this. One person said if I don't see it the way they do then they "don't know what to say to me" and I just said fine don't say anything. Anyway I can't really stand to read anymore of your crazy pseudo-philosophical babble and everyone else is clearly just going in circles with this (including myself), so I'm done with this thread. Life's too short

You mad?

• OK.

Hammertime: yes, a point of view "contemplates" a person, ie takes it into account, as per your definition. Rhetoric 101 OVER

Guzzo: It's not a civil rights issue, it's a disingenuous policy that is racially motivated. There are subtleties here, but in my experience you're not big on those.

HAZ: Lebron is a beauty to watch. End of discussion.

And to whoever said it: the idea that players will play purer, more team-oriented ball because of how they dress is just moronic. Any player who has serious issues with team ball has a lot more to overcome than a chain or fitted cap.

?

Lebron is a beauty to watch. End of discussion.

So you don't agree that he would have been even more beautiful to watch if he was playing in an environment in which he would be unable to capitalize on his abilities and in which he would be surrounded by players that are far beneath him in terms of offering credible competition?

• HAZ: Lebron is a beauty to watch. End of discussion.

So you don't agree that he would have been even more beautiful to watch if he was playing in an environment in which he would be unable to capitalize on his abilities and in which he would be surrounded by players that are far beneath him in terms of offering credible competition?

No. Nor do I believe he would be a better team player with better fundamentals if he had played for four years with a bunch of guys who would go on to broker mortgages or start their own "entertainment" firms.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    At least WWE isn't making their athelets act like this.

No. Nor do I believe he would be a better team player with better fundamentals if he had played for four years with a bunch of guys who would go on to broker mortgages or start their own "entertainment" firms.

I was joking--there are definitely guys in the Leauge that I think should have done a little college time, but Lebron certainly isn't one. I agree that college would have been the mistake for him.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Players are rushed too often today - they burn bright & then burn out. This goes for the NHL, Pro Golf, what ever sport you like. I hope this isn't the case with LeBron. Everyone is different & develops @ at different pace, so its tough to say what should be the minimum age a player should be allowed to compete in a pro league. Its a tough call. If too many young guys try to go the LeBron route, you could end up seeing some talented players who never developed properly & won't play up to their potential. I bet NCAA players would have benifited playing against a guy like LeBron, even if they would have gotten slaughtered by him. It would have led to some pretty iconic moments in NCAA history for sure...I dunno, but, for me, I guess what it boils down to is that sports enterprises often morgage the future for the sake of a quick buck now.

Players are rushed too often today - they burn bright & then burn out. This goes for the NHL, Pro Golf, what ever sport you like. I hope this isn't the case with LeBron. Everyone is different & develops @ at different pace, so its tough to say what should be the minimum age a player should be allowed to compete in a pro league. Its a tough call. If too many young guys try to go the LeBron route, you could end up seeing some talented players who never developed properly & won't play up to their potential. I bet NCAA players would have benifited playing against a guy like LeBron, even if they would have gotten slaughtered by him. It would have led to some pretty iconic moments in NCAA history for sure...I dunno, but, for me, I guess what it boils down to is that sports enterprises often morgage the future for the sake of a quick buck now.

Just stop--you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't mean to be a jerk about this but your presumption in wading into this argument in such an uninformed fashion is offensive to those of us that have put in the time learning something about the game, its politics and its culture.

And f**k the NCAA.