What do you think about the NBA dress code?

Comments

• Racism aside, 2 things come to mind:
    1. Derrick Coleman handing over a blank check for the fines that were to be brought forth for not adhering to The Net's dress code back in the day.
    2. MJ telling Barkley that he was never going to be taken serious until he changed his style of dress.
    Take whatever you want from that.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    1. Derrick Coleman handing over a blank check for the fines that were to be brought forth for not adhering to The Net's dress code back in the day.

i always loved DC

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    fuck the dumb shit

clyde had style. period.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Is Stern's dress code racially motivated? HELL YES.

Do those muthaf*ckas need to grow the f*ck up, be professional and wear suits and ties when they are at press conferences and the like? HELL YES.

White tee down to my ankles chain hanging down to my d*ck rich ass smart dumb muthaf*ckas.

I couldn't agree more.

• Seems an infringement on their civil liberty if you ask me.

K.
    real speak. isn't the biggest selling point of america supposed to be "freedom"? *shakes head*

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Seems an infringement on their civil liberty if you ask me.

K.
    real speak. isn't the biggest selling point of america supposed to be "freedom"? *shakes head*

This ain't America, its the NBA.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I find it funny as hell that y'all are trippin on the brothers in western wear...if go up to the northside of fort worth in the stockyards, there are brothers in full fuckin gear ridin horses and shit. A friend of mine belongs to the organiziation called "cowboys of color"(I mentioned it earlier) he also played for the Chicago Bears in the late 70s(so the athlete thing remains) his name is Don Robinson. The cowboys of color are serious individuals, if you know anything about Texas history, you would know that African American cowboys were essential in the Cattle Drive days on the Chisolm Trail and were serious, fuck you up individuals...

Don't know if you were talking about me, but I grew up with a kid who's father was a Black cowboy, tough as nails and crazy dedicated to preserving that culture/history...

I wasn't making fun of Black cowboys, although I do dislike Karl Malone

no not talking about you...just the caption thing and the "things that make you go hmmmm"...thats all.

Hold on there yourself, cowbwoy. I'm just using an example of an NBA player who doesn't go by the suit/tie dress code - but doesn't fit the stereotype of thugchic in the process. I don't know a thing about black cowboys, but I don't know a thing about white ones either.

Crucially: it was a "Karl Malone does his own damn thing" thang.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What does Duncan think about the dress code?

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded."

• Seems an infringement on their civil liberty if you ask me.

K.

Adam you seem to have a lot of resentment towards basketball players that make a lot of money. Everything you've said has been combined with, "if so-and-so making such-and-such has to do it, then they do too." But the truth is, they don't work at McDonalds, they don't work at an accounting firm, they are ball players, and I have seen plenty of ball players - in suits - with no taste who look like an abomination. So the suits are not going to prevent people from looking like absolute fools. What this is is an attack on the culture of players in the NBA, primarily Black, and I don't see what your issue is with that assessment.

Nobody is telling chasidim how to dress.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    And the old "We should ignore relatively minor incidents of racism because making a fuss will condition people to ignore more significant incidents" really only contemplates one class of such "people": racists

so if anything else was the "widely embraced fashion" it would no longer be racist? also, that last sentence doesn't make sense.

Get your reading comprehension game up.

Batch.

Use "contemplates" correctly and we'll be straight.

Lebron seems to support the dress code.

• And the old "We should ignore relatively minor incidents of racism because making a fuss will condition people to ignore more significant incidents" really only contemplates one class of such "people": racists

so if anything else was the "widely embraced fashion" it would no longer be racist? also, that last sentence doesn't make sense.

Get your reading comprehension game up.

Batch.

Use "contemplates" correctly and we'll be straight.

Lebron seems to support the dress code.

FYI, that is a correct usage of "contemplates"

Penalty, five yards

• I have seen plenty of ball players - in suits - with no taste who look like an abomination.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    White people suck. It's especially infuriating that so many white people who invest so much of their time, effort, and money into a lot of black music(s) are so incapable of seeing the basic injustices that are so clearly racially motivated. Of course, this isn't on par with something like lynching or the more blatant racial injustices that we witnessed with Katrina, but if you can't see how this is a deliberate injustice that is both racially motivated and "racist," well I don't know what else to say to you. In the grand scheme of things, of course an NBA dress-code is not that[/b] big a deal, but it is certainly indicative of how the NBA and most of white America feels about the rich black folks that currently dominate and generate ALL of the money for the NBA.

My main thing about this shit is that this rule is clearly an attempt at appeasing the white audience. But, shouldn't we expect white people to accept black people on their own terms anyway? If these black kids wanna dress this way, fine. Why the fuck we gotta dress 'em up in white-face in order for these rich fuckos copping expensive seats to accept 'em?

All you people with your "These guys are rich. I wish they would stop complaining" shit really need to dead that shit. That's some straight racist shit in and of itself: "We've given these black folk their money! Why don't they just shut up now and get back in their place?!" Fuck that. Yeah, it's fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean these dudes can't speak their minds and call this shit what it is: corny, useless, and fucking racist.

Y'all can be really fucking infuriating.

-e

• White people suck.

A little harsh...

My main thing about this shit is that this rule is clearly an attempt at appeasing the white audience. But, shouldn't we expect white people to accept black people on their own terms anyway? If these black kids wanna dress this way, fine. Why the fuck we gotta dress 'em up in white-face in order for these rich fuckos copping expensive seats to accept 'em?

I agree completely.

This or that?

• I played college basketball for two black coaches and they were as strict as possible when it came to what we wore when we traveled or sat on the bench. Dressing in a shirt and tie is not a black or white thing. Take a look at the benches of every college in the country, including the all black schools. Everyone is dressed professionally (at least they were last time i checked). The bottom line is that it is a respect thing; for your teammates, opponents, fans and for the game itself.

The NBA never had to issue a dress code in the past because players had the respect to dress professionally. I agree that this rule is targeted at black players, but that doesn't mean that it is racist. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NBA player's association give the okay to this rule during collective bargaining??? Poll some of the NBA legends (black or white) and ask them where they stand on this issue.

Undoubtedly, the NBA has targeted black players and it was absolutely unnecessary for them to impose a "don't list". I agree that this list is offensive because it singles out hip-hop culture and basically says that this type of dress is inappropriate. However, I completely disagree with those who are against the rule altogether and I think most people who have played the game at a high level would agree with me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

K.

Adam you seem to have a lot of resentment towards basketball players that make a lot of money.

I wonder: will A**m's rage dissipate if and when he has the opportunity to spit in some of these guys' coffee?

• Why the fuck we gotta dress 'em up in white-face

this is why I said the ridiculous thing I said...I find this statement to be as ridiculous as it...since when is professional attire, attire they have been wearing on game day since they were 14 and playing on their freshman high school team, be considered taking away their blackness? Do you argue that High Schools that dont allow sagging jeans to be as rascist as you are claiming the NBA to be with this? Seriously...schools have been trying to "de-thug"(as it was labled in this thread) their student populations for years, how come no one is up in arms about this? We are complaining about the alleged oppression from "the man" on their employees...employees folks. They are on a team, you have to check your individulaism at the door when you are dedicating yourself to a singular cause or team...team, that is the word that is getting lost, I think. Now I could totally see your points more clearly if, say the Boxing comission(why the fuck the wrestling analogy used, when there are legitamate non-team sports) said all boxers must wear a suit and tie to weigh-in and press confrences. Basketball players are on a team. Although the "why now?" question is apt, I think the main motivation here is bringing back the team ethic...do you seriously think I am supporting a white-supremist conspiricy of oppression by having this opinion?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I'm gonna check the whole thread before I jump in.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I think its crazy that they make guys playing on a team wear the same uniforms. Why are they trying to keep the people down?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

K.

Adam you seem to have a lot of resentment towards basketball players that make a lot of money. Everything you've said has been combined with, "if so-and-so making such-and-such has to do it, then they do too."

Yes I do have an issue with the wealthy complaining about their rights to do whatever they want to do. I think its utterly ridiculous that people are throwing so much sympathy their way.

But the truth is, they don't work at McDonalds, they don't work at an accounting firm,

so this obviously makes them above having to follow a dress code

What this is is an attack on the culture of players in the NBA, primarily Black, and I don't see what your issue is with that assessment.

I thnk "attack" is a little too strong a term for something as silly as telling dudes who can plainly afford to dress in suits and are on company time to please do so.

People here seem to be confusing the US governement with the NBA. Bush don't run the NBA and the NBA is not addressed in neither the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. I'm not the denying the racism behind the idea of the dress code but this whole argument about showing sympathy to these guys who are given the backbreaking hardship of wearing professional attire while representing thier company is so fucking silly that it's mindnumbing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

real talk

it wouldn't be a problem if it was about sport or being professional.

but it's about david stern trying to get nfl money with the nba.

and he thinks the way to do this is by cleaning it up for middle america.

K.

Adam you seem to have a lot of resentment towards basketball players that make a lot of money. Everything you've said has been combined with, "if so-and-so making such-and-such has to do it, then they do too."

Yes I do have an issue with the wealthy complaining about their rights to do whatever they want to do. I think its utterly ridiculous that people are throwing so much sympathy their way.

But the truth is, they don't work at McDonalds, they don't work at an accounting firm,

What this is is an attack on the culture of players in the NBA, primarily Black, and I don't see what your issue is with that assessment.

I thnk "attack" is a little too strong a term for something as silly as telling dudes who can plainly afford to dress in suits and are on company time to please do so.

People here seem to be confusing the US governement on the NBA. Bush don't run the NBA and the NBA is not addressed in neither the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. I'm not the denying the racism behind the idea of the dress code but this whole argument about showing sympathy to these guys who are given the backbreaking hardship of wearing professional attire while representing thier company is so fucking silly that it's mindnumbing.

Adam, nobody in this thread has invoked "the Bill of Rights or the Constitution". I haven't, Asprin hasn't, Oliver hasn't, Paycheck hasn't, Emynd hasn't.

You can either address the points people are actually making or continue to throw roundhouses at straw men.

I'd argue that Stern thinks the way to do this is by cleaning it up for the people who HAVE the money to give to the NBA. This is not necessarily a middle America family who may attend a game every now and then or even buy a seasons worth of tickets, but the even higher-ups who desire to rid the NBA of this image. Stern is going for BIG dollars. Not the little ones.

White people suck.

Would this be an appropriate point to note that I am all for the dress code as applied to white players?

Some of those dudes really don't know how to do casual.

See: Dirk Nowitski... maybe Stern could also do something about dude's facial hair, too...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

K.

People here seem to be confusing the US governement on the NBA. Bush don't run the NBA and the NBA is not addressed in neither the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. I'm not the denying the racism behind the idea of the dress code but this whole argument about showing sympathy to these guys who are given the backbreaking hardship of wearing professional attire while representing thier company is so fucking silly that it's mindnumbing.

Adam, nobody in this thread has invoked "the Bill of Rights or the Constitution". I haven't, Asprin hasn't, Oliver hasn't, Paycheck hasn't, Emynd hasn't.

You can either address the points people are actually making or continue to throw roundhouses at straw men.

read the top of this little quote spiderhole and you'll see where I'm pulling this America = NBA argument from

But seriously this is a private company asking its employees to maintain a particular type of dress while on the clock. These peole aren't forced to dress this way they can always quit their job and look for emplyment elsewhere. I'm sure it isn't going to be any problem for these guys to find someone to pay them the same salary to wear what they want. (sarcasm class graduate)

long story short they want to make the money they do and earn a chance at the endorsements they get then they gonna have to play by the rules Donald Stern lays out for them.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

real talk

Maybe he's hoping that if they players start carring themselves in a professional manner that they will take more pride in their jobs & start performing on the court. Folks have been waiting for the inheritor of Jordan's crown to step forward & while there are a gang of talented folks in the NBA, nobody is making history right now. That must really suck for marketing.

• I agree that this rule is targeted at black players, but that doesn't mean that it is racist.

Clearly this is a classic example of being conditioned to except inequality as the norm. Check your logic.

-----------
    Edit Dat DeejaY

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I'd argue that Stern thinks the way to do this is by cleaning it up for the people who HAVE the money to give to the NBA. This is not necessarily a middle America family who may attend a game every now and then or even buy a seasons worth of tickets, but the even higher-ups who desire to rid the NBA of this image. Stern is going for BIG dollars. Not the little ones.

I'll meet you half way:

he thinks the way to get more money is by cleaning the nba up for Emil's dad.

but the idea is the same; stern isn't trying to get rid of unprofessional dress, he's trying to get the street/hip-hop/urban aspect out of the sport.