What do you think about the NBA dress code?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    As usual, the white supremamcist apologists on the Strut are out in full force. I swear to god, half of you probably think lynching was just a bad accident involving a tree and rope.

Wanna talk about apologists? People call racism when someone says a basketball player should wear a suit, but when a dude like Archaic spouts REAL bullshit, there's a warm & fuzzy post about how he should be unbanned. It make me sad to think that racism against certain groups is acceptable thing here. This isn't directed against O-Dub at all - I'm just quoting his post about "apologists on the Strut".

H*w*rd,

we've spoke about this in the past. Don't you know it ain;t really racism unless its directed at african americans?

selective prejudice is what this board is all about

so i imagined vitamin - who was good enough to cover almost everyone from the Middle East and Native Americans?
    and all the Asian chick fetishizing?
    and some pretty fucked-up avatars?

get over yourself.

As usual, the white supremamcist apologists on the Strut are out in full force. I swear to god, half of you probably think lynching was just a bad accident involving a tree and rope.

Wanna talk about apologists? People call racism when someone says a basketball player should wear a suit, but when a dude like Archaic spouts REAL bullshit, there's a warm & fuzzy post about how he should be unbanned. It make me sad to think that racism against certain groups is acceptable thing here. This isn't directed against O-Dub at all - I'm just quoting his post about "apologists on the Strut".

H*w*rd,

we've spoke about this in the past. Don't you know it ain;t really racism unless its directed at african americans?

by saying this you are totally discounting and negating all[/b] the bullshit that has been said.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

H*w*rd,

so i imagined vitamin - who was good enough to cover almost everyone from the Middle East and Native Americans?

get over yourself.

outside of everyone doing a dog pile on vitamin I don't think anything else you mentioned really has been looked at with any thing close to the level of intensity race issues with african americans have been viewed with on this board and it's because of silly arguments over what a person is supposed to wear on the job that turn into 4 page racial prejudice posts that I said what I said.

show a me a 4 page Asian chick fetish thread that mirrors this one and prove me wrong

• and don't say anything else to me, because this shit is starting to piss me off.

DUDE. Where's my car?

DUDE. Where's my car?

DUDE. Where's my car?

DUDE. Where's my car?

DUDE. Where's my car?

H*w*rd,

get over yourself.

outside of everyone doing a dog pile on vitamin I don't think anything else you mentioned really has been looked at with any thing close to the level of intensity race issues with african americans have been viewed with on this board and it's because of silly arguments over what a person is supposed to wear on the job that turn into 4 page racial prejudice posts that I said what I said.

show a me a 4 page Asian chick fetish thread that mirrors this one and prove me wrong

i'm not out to prove anything. i'm talking this out, not so i can be right and someone else can be wrong.

i still don't agree and don't feel that prejudice is selective here. all ignorance has been acknowledged in one way or another. it doesn't have to be four pages long to mean something.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i still don't agree and don't feel that prejudice is selective here. all ignorance has been acknowledged in one way or another. it doesn't have to be four pages long to mean something.

others may disagree

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Is Stern's dress code racially motivated? HELL YES.

Do those muthaf*ckas need to grow the f*ck up, be professional and wear suits and ties when they are at press conferences and the like? HELL YES.

White tee down to my ankles chain hanging down to my d*ck rich ass smart dumb muthaf*ckas.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

(insert your own caption here)

• anyone wants to take my cowboy hat he can answer to my rifle. don't tread on me motherfucker.

• I find it funny as hell that y'all are trippin on the brothers in western wear...if go up to the northside of fort worth in the stockyards, there are brothers in full fuckin gear ridin horses and shit. A friend of mine belongs to the organiziation called "cowboys of color"(I mentioned it earlier) he also played for the Chicago Bears in the late 70s(so the athlete thing remains) his name is Don Robinson. The cowboys of color are serious individuals, if you know anything about Texas history, you would know that African American cowboys were essential in the Cattle Drive days on the Chisolm Trail and were serious, fuck you up individuals...

• edubedub 715 Posts

That "Horse Sex" thread on Soulstrut changed my life... and it'll change yours too, buddy"

• I find it funny as hell that y'all are trippin on the brothers in western wear...if go up to the northside of fort worth in the stockyards, there are brothers in full fuckin gear ridin horses and shit. A friend of mine belongs to the organiziation called "cowboys of color"(I mentioned it earlier) he also played for the Chicago Bears in the late 70s(so the athlete thing remains) his name is Don Robinson. The cowboys of color are serious individuals, if you know anything about Texas history, you would know that African American cowboys were essential in the Cattle Drive days on the Chisolm Trail and were serious, fuck you up individuals...

Don't know if you were talking about me, but I grew up with a kid who's father was a Black cowboy, tough as nails and crazy dedicated to preserving that culture/history...

I wasn't making fun of Black cowboys, although I do dislike Karl Malone

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

(insert your own caption here)

Can't a black man wear a hat in peace?

Don't know if you were talking about me, but I grew up with a kid who's father was a Black cowboy, tough as nails and crazy dedicated to preserving that culture/history...

I wasn't making fun of Black cowboys, although I do dislike Karl Malone

no not talking about you...just the caption thing and the "things that make you go hmmmm"...thats all.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this thread is racist

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

i still don't agree and don't feel that prejudice is selective here. all ignorance has been acknowledged in one way or another.

Prejudice is not selective here. All kinds of ignorance has been on display at one time or another. What's shitty is what's acceptable.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Do those muthaf*ckas need to grow the f*ck up, be professional and wear suits and ties when they are at press conferences and the like? HELL YES.

White tee down to my ankles chain hanging down to my d*ck rich ass smart dumb muthaf*ckas.

simple and to the point.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

"Nope, no racism anywhere."

Frankly, in the big scheme of things, the dress code isn't on the same level as, you know, apartheid or anything. But it's so fucking transparent that this is aprt of the attempt of the NBA to reform its image, make it less "street" (read: black) or less "hip hop" (definite ly read: black) because people like Stern feel like today's NBA is alienating white viewers. I mean, this stuff has been EXPLICTLY SAID, it's not backroom whispers. As far as a lot of cats are concerned, the NBA has an image problem and for better or for worse, it's players like Ron Artest who've become the posterchildren for that "problem."

The dress code is just another way of trying to "de-thug" the NBA and if you don't think race is at the heart of this, you're being willfully ignorant. I don't have a problem with the dress code insofar as I think dressing professionally is something professionals do. It just bothers me that people are so quick to make excuses and deflect the mere suggestion that race has anything to do with things like this.

I completely agree (surprise!).

People in this thread seem to be having trouble distinguishing between two very different things: 1) whether or not the decision was racially motivated, and 2) what the scale of the resulting injustice is.

One can acknowledge the former without implicitly equating the consequences with, say, recent events in New Orleans.

just because it happens to affect more blacks than whites doesn't mean it's "racially motivated".

It often does.

And the law recognizes this.

It's a class of discrimination called "disparate impact".

That's neither here nor there, though. This policy rather clearly is racially motivated, not because it "happens to affect more blacks than whites" but because it is targeted towards signifiers of young urban blackness. If you can't--or don't want--to see that, I don't know what else to say to you.

it's targeted towards unprofessional attire, which includes cowboy hats and other shit posted earlier.

and don't say anything else to me, because this shit is starting to piss me off. when people cry racism over stupid shit like this it conditions people to ignore it when there are real issues.

Errr, right, because cowboy hats are a widely embraced fashion amongst NBA players.

And the old "We should ignore relatively minor incidents of racism because making a fuss will condition people to ignore more significant incidents" really only contemplates one class of such "people": racists

so if anything else was the "widely embraced fashion" it would no longer be racist? also, that last sentence doesn't make sense.

ALSO i never said people should ignore small incidents of racism, I said people shouldn't make a fuss when there is nothing there. but thanks for putting words in my mouth!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    CONNECT THE DOTS! [/b]

Keyword: Lifestyle/Image

Corporate Execs and court-side season ticket holders:

Money (x2):

youth movement (sorry for using Iverson twice):

your fans:

a dress code means taking something away from the players to further create an image of a world-class business.

People that "ain't got nothing to do with this shit" are already making millions off of player's talents.

and does the youth wanna see a bunch of people arrive in suits to the game? like it's some kind of business?!

LOVE, BEFORE MONEY. seriously, take a look at what's supporting this game.

DRESS CODE = FOUL

• edubedub 715 Posts

and does the youth wanna see a bunch of people arrive in suits to the game? like it's some kind of business?!

why would "the youth" wanna see a bunch of people arrive to the game, regardless of what they're wearing??

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    As usual, the white supremamcist apologists on the Strut are out in full force.

FOR GODS SAKE ITS JUST A DRESSCODE FOR WORK!!!

is it race based? why would you really care?

i'm not out to prove anything.

racially motivated? HELL YES.

"widely embraced fashion"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

why would "the youth" wanna see a bunch of people arrive to the game, regardless of what they're wearing??

T.V. interviews and in person. Frankly, the dress code doesn't bother me that much, but the motives behind it are what's shady.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

simple and to the point.

i'm feelin that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

H*w*rd,

get over yourself.

I just deleted 3 different versions of this post.
    Here's some key points:

: Guzzo I don't get you sometimes.

: Yes, there are definite racial overtones to the dress mandate.

:That fucking "so if they wear a suit are they considered an uncle tom?" comment was way beyond wack. I guess even after years there's only so much you can glean from a person on a message board.

liva la sabadabada

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Damn, these corps basically want hip hop/urban dollars yet at the end of the day they want us to do that old suit and tie dance and bow down to them being the boss aka "THE MAN". An example of this that happened to me was, I was down DJing at the MAGIC clothing convention in Vegas and basically I overheard that they were trying to tone it down, they didn't want b-boys and all that real hip hop stuff cause the garmento's had their panties all in a bunch. Trying to say it was affecting their bizness. They basically asked the DJs to keep it more mellow. WTF? Point being is they are some real suckas. Let's see if these players got enough guts to all start showing up rockin Ice and throwbacks. If they all did it Mr. Stern couldn't do shit. At least WWE isn't making their athelets act like this.

yeah he couldn't do shit except start fining the shit outta everyone.

did you really just compare the NBA to the WWE???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    [

get over yourself.

I just deleted 3 different versions of this post.

Here's some key points:

: Guzzo I don't get you sometimes.

: Yes, there are definite racial overtones to the dress mandate.

:That fucking "so if they wear a suit are they considered an uncle tom?" comment was way beyond wack. I guess even after years there's only so much you can glean from a person on a message board.

liva la sabadabada

I didn't say the uncle Tom thing, that was Hook Up.

To make it simple what I am saying is I will not shed a tear or feel any sympathy for ultra-rich men of any color who must maintain a particular dresscode while working (unless it is utterly demeaning which this obviously isn't).

Is there racial overtones to this? yes, but why do you care, is this oppressing rich ballplayers? is making people look professional really going to set civil rights back any? NO[/b]

Let Stern make his rules and if the players don't like it they can go overseas and play there. This ain't America, its the NBA.

If dudes gotta wear outfits at McDonalds where they are making minnimum wage than dudes who make $200,000+ for 8 months of "work" shouldn't be throwing temper tantrums cause they gotta put on a suit and not just wear t-shirts and flip flops on company time

• fuck the dumb shit

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"Nope, no racism anywhere."

Frankly, in the big scheme of things, the dress code isn't on the same level as, you know, apartheid or anything. But it's so fucking transparent that this is aprt of the attempt of the NBA to reform its image, make it less "street" (read: black) or less "hip hop" (definite ly read: black) because people like Stern feel like today's NBA is alienating white viewers. I mean, this stuff has been EXPLICTLY SAID, it's not backroom whispers. As far as a lot of cats are concerned, the NBA has an image problem and for better or for worse, it's players like Ron Artest who've become the posterchildren for that "problem."

The dress code is just another way of trying to "de-thug" the NBA and if you don't think race is at the heart of this, you're being willfully ignorant. I don't have a problem with the dress code insofar as I think dressing professionally is something professionals do. It just bothers me that people are so quick to make excuses and deflect the mere suggestion that race has anything to do with things like this.

I completely agree (surprise!).

People in this thread seem to be having trouble distinguishing between two very different things: 1) whether or not the decision was racially motivated, and 2) what the scale of the resulting injustice is.

One can acknowledge the former without implicitly equating the consequences with, say, recent events in New Orleans.

just because it happens to affect more blacks than whites doesn't mean it's "racially motivated".

It often does.

And the law recognizes this.

It's a class of discrimination called "disparate impact".

That's neither here nor there, though. This policy rather clearly is racially motivated, not because it "happens to affect more blacks than whites" but because it is targeted towards signifiers of young urban blackness. If you can't--or don't want--to see that, I don't know what else to say to you.

it's targeted towards unprofessional attire, which includes cowboy hats and other shit posted earlier.

and don't say anything else to me, because this shit is starting to piss me off. when people cry racism over stupid shit like this it conditions people to ignore it when there are real issues.

Errr, right, because cowboy hats are a widely embraced fashion amongst NBA players.

And the old "We should ignore relatively minor incidents of racism because making a fuss will condition people to ignore more significant incidents" really only contemplates one class of such "people": racists

so if anything else was the "widely embraced fashion" it would no longer be racist? also, that last sentence doesn't make sense.

Get your reading comprehension game up.

Batch.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Next time, NBA, just tell them what they have to wear and leave it at that.