What do you think about the NBA dress code?

Comments

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    man you guys are seriously jumping the gun on the racism thing here.

Anyone who has played professional level sports of any kind knows you wear a fucking shirt and tie on gameday. Hell high school athletes know this. Every sport. Basketball just happens to be the first to address it with an official rule.

You join a team, that team owns you and your teamates. You act as a group.

• ok, Ill be the one....

are the black players that preferred to wear suits and ties before the dress code Uncle Toms?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Maybe it's just cause most players in the league are black

well yeah i think that's it. just because it affects more black people than white doesn't automatically make it "racist". In fact I think using the word "racist" in this instance is kinda despicable and just waters down the term.

Seems to me like they're trying to de-hip-hopify the league.

that's their right. i'm guessing if some professional sport had a bunch of athletes who listened to goth music and wore black nailpolish and all kinds of crazy makeup and piercings they'd put a stop to that too.

That is a stupid analogy.

why is that? If you listen to a certain music and like to dress a certain way, great! That doesn't mean you can bring it in to work.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    ok, Ill be the one....

are the black players that preferred to wear suits and ties before the dress code Uncle Toms?

Between the above statement, and your other comments regarding the JT purchase of Stax and that one drunken post you had where you were talking shit about the Heatrocks, you're climbing fast up the suspect ladder holmes. Slow down.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    They should come out and just say...

"We love your skills but hate your couture "

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ok, Ill be the one....

You should be ashamed of yourself.

• ok, Ill be the one....

just throwing out a ridiculous statement in a ridiculous thread

• Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

If only the problem were just as simple as racism but it's more then that. It has to do with control and conditioning on many levels. It is rather tuff to change the way we think about these things because these ideas are supported by mass thought. There are many ways to look at this. For all those that say that NBA players should dress in ties and slacks, if you could ask your self were does this thought come from, that would be a start. Second for people who think they should be able to wear all this so called hip-hop gear, ask yourself were does this idea come from? How we respond to our cultural conditioning is something really worth looking into. I mean a point could be raised to say that NBA players are role models to lots of kids. On that same note, these kids see their NBA heros submitting to some one, basically being dominated. Now David Stern has said the 56 cents of every dollar goes to the players.(these kind of statements always seem to pop up in the media presented as data to support a fact, even though the fact they are presenting is not really the truth) Well there are way more players then owners, so if we do the math it's not that hard to see that the owners share is much bigger then the indiviual player(Stern makes it seem that the player are the ones making the most money in the league, which is like saying if you worked for a factory that had 10,000 workers and the workers collective sallery was 70% of the profit brought in that year that the workers were more profitable than the owner who walked away with 30% of the profit himself). So even on this level that these kids want to aspire to, the message is still being sent that they should follow. Following can be a dangerous thing. Especially when following the follower. I would also bring up that when they listed the dress code it seemed that it wasn't targeted at people who dress in a let's say "rural fashion".

The way I like to look at is that the world is a stage and you can play any part and act any way you would like. I would like to share a little story with you,
    I once went and did a DJ demonstration at a re-entry program for teens that had gotten into trouble with their schools. I went to this presentation dressed in a business suit. When I entered the room the teens were circled around in a reading group, as soon as they saw me they started whispering. I heard them say that Charles and Cindy(the program directors) were probably in trouble. I was chuckling inside to myself this was just what I had hoped would happen. I waited quietly observing for about ten minutes then I walked over to the turn tables and just went off on the cut, these kids eyes bugged out of their heads. One of the younger ones said "damn, that boy can cut it up" It was like I caught them totally off gaurd. It was a nice way to grab their attention. Then they all came over and I proceeded with the demonstration. I was talking about DJing and some motivational things, the one thing I really impressed upon them was that things are not always what they seem, and that they should always question things for themselves. For me I was just messin with them. Life is so much fun.

how many NBA players dress in a "rural" fashion? Of course they're going to specifically mention the things that come up the most, that just makes sense.

Hasn't there been a dress code for coaches for years? I wonder if as many people whined about that.

When the idea to examine conditioning is brought up why do so many wish to defend the actual conditioning that is imprisoning them. Things that make you go hmmmmmm................

When you say "they" who are you talking about? Also just because everyone does something does that make sense? What do you mean by the term "come up"? I suppose that no one should "whine" about anything and we should all be docile and dumb and settle for what ever happens to us.
    But regardless I don't care about Kobe Bryant cause he don't give a damn about me.... From that point on I was never a fan of the Lakers.

ok, Ill be the one....

just throwing out a(n) ridiculous offensive statement in a ridiculous thread

There's a clear difference.

• When the idea to examine conditioning is brought up why do so many wish to defend the actual conditioning that is imprisoning them. Things that make you go hmmmmmm................

I know some gentlemen in the organization "cowboys of color" in Fort Worth, TX who would have plenty to say on your caption of this picture

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    If a dude is making millions of dollars & is getting by in regards to style/fashion, you know he's a fucking idiot. Take part of your signing bonus & buy some nice clothes.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

If only the problem were just as simple as racism but it's more then that. It has to do with control and conditioning on many levels. It is rather tuff to change the way we think about these things because these ideas are supported by mass thought. There are many ways to look at this. For all those that say that NBA players should dress in ties and slacks, if you could ask your self were does this thought come from, that would be a start. Second for people who think they should be able to wear all this so called hip-hop gear, ask yourself were does this idea come from? How we respond to our cultural conditioning is something really worth looking into. I mean a point could be raised to say that NBA players are role models to lots of kids. On that same note, these kids see their NBA heros submitting to some one, basically being dominated.[/b] Now David Stern has said the 56 cents of every dollar goes to the players.(these kind of statements always seem to pop up in the media presented as data to support a fact, even though the fact they are presenting is not really the truth) Well there are way more players then owners, so if we do the math it's not that hard to see that the owners share is much bigger then the indiviual player(Stern makes it seem that the player are the ones making the most money in the league, which is like saying if you worked for a factory that had 10,000 workers and the workers collective sallery was 70% of the profit brought in that year that the workers were more profitable than the owner who walked away with 30% of the profit himself). So even on this level that these kids want to aspire to, the message is still being sent that they should follow. Following can be a dangerous thing. Especially when following the follower. I would also bring up that when they listed the dress code it seemed that it wasn't targeted at people who dress in a let's say "rural fashion".

The way I like to look at is that the world is a stage and you can play any part and act any way you would like. I would like to share a little story with you,

I once went and did a DJ demonstration at a re-entry program for teens that had gotten into trouble with their schools. I went to this presentation dressed in a business suit. When I entered the room the teens were circled around in a reading group, as soon as they saw me they started whispering. I heard them say that Charles and Cindy(the program directors) were probably in trouble. I was chuckling inside to myself this was just what I had hoped would happen. I waited quietly observing for about ten minutes then I walked over to the turn tables and just went off on the cut, these kids eyes bugged out of their heads. One of the younger ones said "damn, that boy can cut it up" It was like I caught them totally off gaurd. It was a nice way to grab their attention. Then they all came over and I proceeded with the demonstration. I was talking about DJing and some motivational things, the one thing I really impressed upon them was that things are not always what they seem, and that they should always question things for themselves. For me I was just messin with them. Life is so much fun.

I wish I had the time at work to rip apart your message point-by-point.

EDIT: I just had to comment on the line above I put in bold. Why is submitting to authority considered bad? Is obeying rules too "uncool" for you? Sorry, but this statement is just the most retarded thing I've read in a long time.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    ok, Ill be the one....

just throwing out a ridiculous statement in a ridiculous thread

You're not making any sense. Please stop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

If only the problem were just as simple as racism but it's more then that. It has to do with control and conditioning on many levels. It is rather tuff to change the way we think about these things because these ideas are supported by mass thought. There are many ways to look at this. For all those that say that NBA players should dress in ties and slacks, if you could ask your self were does this thought come from, that would be a start. Second for people who think they should be able to wear all this so called hip-hop gear, ask yourself were does this idea come from? How we respond to our cultural conditioning is something really worth looking into. I mean a point could be raised to say that NBA players are role models to lots of kids. On that same note, these kids see their NBA heros submitting to some one, basically being dominated. Now David Stern has said the 56 cents of every dollar goes to the players.(these kind of statements always seem to pop up in the media presented as data to support a fact, even though the fact they are presenting is not really the truth) Well there are way more players then owners, so if we do the math it's not that hard to see that the owners share is much bigger then the indiviual player(Stern makes it seem that the player are the ones making the most money in the league, which is like saying if you worked for a factory that had 10,000 workers and the workers collective sallery was 70% of the profit brought in that year that the workers were more profitable than the owner who walked away with 30% of the profit himself). So even on this level that these kids want to aspire to, the message is still being sent that they should follow. Following can be a dangerous thing. Especially when following the follower. I would also bring up that when they listed the dress code it seemed that it wasn't targeted at people who dress in a let's say "rural fashion".

how many NBA players dress in a "rural" fashion? Of course they're going to specifically mention the things that come up the most, that just makes sense.

Hasn't there been a dress code for coaches for years? I wonder if as many people whined about that.

When the idea to examine conditioning is brought up why do so many wish to defend the actual conditioning that is imprisoning them. Things that make you go hmmmmmm................

When you say "they" who are you talking about? Also just because everyone does something does that make sense? What do you mean by the term "come up"? I suppose that no one should "whine" about anything and we should all be docile and dumb and settle for what ever happens to us.
    But regardless I don't care about Kobe Bryant cause he don't give a damn about me.... From that point on I was never a fan of the Lakers.

Return of iDOX?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I don't like that I can't wear jeans at work (dress jeans? Rogan? Gucci? Huh?)

Edit your post before anyone else sees this.

I wish I could dress up for work without being ridiculed.

Anytime I wear a button shirt the comments start rolling.

Do they point at you and say "why is that man dressed like Jay Z?"

hehe. The Strut never forgets!

• You join a team, that team owns you and your teamates. You act as a group.

I'm agnostic as to whether players should wear suits.

Anybody know the specifics on when an NBA player is considered to be "at work"? And at what point do the dicates of the NBA league office override those of a team?

For example, I, in some other life, play for Mark Cuban. I go to the American Airlines Center on game day in my barefeet and mesh tanktop and this guy who writes my paycheck is all for it because he knows it'll make me play better. When does his rule stop and D.Stern's begin? Isn't there some aspect of the property, etc. that is controlled by the team/arena owner? Could the league step in and say, "We don't like the car you're driving to work," or, "We don't like the drills you're running in practice," or etc.

• Yeah it sucks that those poor NBA players gotta dress up, when us working folks are makin pennies on the dollar.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    There's not a dumber response to this than "These guys are rich. I wish they would shut up."

First of all, I'm really looking forward to seeing these dudes decked out in suits, specifically Stephen Jackson. Rest assured homeboy is gonna be bloodin' it up in a pimp ass red suit and A href=http://www.kk-hosoya.co.jp/tie/tie_hontai/tie_bandana_480_010924.jpg>a red tie with bandana-paisley on it. If not, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Secondly, dude, this IS racist. Not because gold-chains and throwback jerseys are a necessary part of black culture or anything silly like that. It's racist because it's a move to remove the hip-hop "stigma" from NBA and market the NBA away from the hip-hop generation and the urban youth that currently relate to dudes like Iverson. Old white folks don't like the game for precisely the reason that most uf do like the game: it's dominated by a bunch of "athletes" who don't "play the right way" (i.e. BECAUSE it's "a league of style"). While most of us think Allen Iverson is the shit, old white folks, for the most part, don't. Listen to sports talk radio ((or read soulstrut: there's a great deal more disdain for rich , "selfish" basketball players than there is for most other sports and I think it has a lot to do with the "hip-hop" (i.e. racial) dynamics.

We all know that NBA viewership has gone down significantly since the Lakers/Celtics era and the Jordan days. I don't know the exact specs, but rest assured that Stern is not getting the numbers that he wants. For lack of a better word, NBA basketball has gotten "too black" for white America and Stern isn't embracing the change in the game and changing his marketing strategy to reflect the changes (i.e. marketing TO the hip-hop generation), he's attempting to convince old white folks that the game hasn't changed. THAT's why it's racist. Not because the dress-code is pretty solidly based on how a lot of the black players dress, nor because any of the dress is stereotypically "black," but because it's a deliberate effort to NOT market the shit to black folks or anyone who finds themselves aligning with certain elements of "black culture."

Unfortunately for Stern, there is absolutely NOTHING that the NBA can do to make people like my dad think Allen Iverson is playing the type of basketball he wants to watch and so these players have to give up a work-place freedom that they all know is pretty retarded.

I don't doubt that dress has some sort of effect on more professional office environments in terms of productivity, but the NBA is clearly a different beast. I wouldn't be mad at this stupid rule if the dress-code policy was in effect since waaay back in the day or if it was a coach's decision to institute a dress-code (like Nate McMillan). Frankly, when I was younger, I always thought there was a dress-code policy in effect until Iverson came along. Seeing him in all that random gear after the game and during games while on the bench injured was a real shock to me, but it's definitely become the norm over the past 6 or 7 years and I can totally relate with the player's sudden "WTF?" reaction to it. If you're allowed certain freedoms, and then your employer tries to take them away for no good reason[/b], I think it's completely natural to be like "Fuck that!" whether you make $2 an hour or $20,000 an hour.

-e

Solid post, emynd. I'd also really like to hear what Big Daddy Stacks has to say on this issue.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    in somewhat unrelated news...

has anybody checked the NBA on TNT commercials? the ones w/ Ali G? them shits are really funny. Telling Steve nash that he won the MP3 award... very nice.

btw, im for the dress code. dudes need to be like MJ and dress the f up. stylin yo.

-rich

• Naw it ain't really like that, cause we all do it. Plus I really ain't tryin to die any time to soon. Ya feel me. I guess it's like the word you say "authority", basically comes from the word "author", now when you submit to someone as the author to your reality that's a tad bit messed up. Cause I'm just tryin to do me. As far as points there really are not any in what I posted, it was more like just take a look and see if you can start to open up the mind to why things are what they are. It's like if I pick up a purple crayon and say what color is this, then you respond back it's purple, and I say who says that it's purple, and you say it just is, then I say well who first made up the word purple, and we can agree that a person did this and hense forth we have agreed to refer to this as purple, but the catch is that this idea of the word purple came from a persons mind and that does not make it the actual thing. Because if you were to try and describe what purple was to a person that was born blind they would not understand(in the sense of knowing and experiencing) what you were talking about. So we should be able to agree that the word is not the thing. Even though for practical purposes that crayon is purple. But in this the process is what is important.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Naw it ain't really like that, cause we all do it. Plus I really ain't tryin to die any time to soon. Ya feel me. I guess it's like the word you say "authority", basically comes from the word "author", now when you submit to someone as the author to your reality that's a tad bit messed up. Cause I'm just tryin to do me. As far as points there really are not any in what I posted, it was more like just take a look and see if you can start to open up the mind to why things are what they are. It's like if I pick up a purple crayon and say what color is this, then you respond back it's purple, and I say who says that it's purple, and you say it just is, then I say well who first made up the word purple, and we can agree that a person did this and hense forth we have agreed to refer to this as purple, but the catch is that this idea of the word purple came from a persons mind and that does not make it the actual thing. Because if you were to try and describe what purple was to a person that was born blind they would not understand(in the sense of knowing and experiencing) what you were talking about. So we should be able to agree that the word is not the thing. Even though for practical purposes that crayon is purple. But in this the process is what is important.

we are talking about sports here. the day sports become anything other than a brutal dictatorship is the day they die. you do not question your coach. you do not act like you are on a different level than anyone on your team. yes dressing the same way is a part of this, a very delibrate part that is essential in my view of the sporting world. It is not socialism 101, it's a damn game.

• My bad on that. I wasn't dissin on Karl. That dude is dope. If cat's wanna rock what ever they wanna rock it's cool with me. I sometimes have a bad habit of having thoughts that jump ahead without filling in the blanks. Doesn't help that I'm at work and got a million other things going on. The picture of Karl was more to show homeboy that there are cats in the NBA that like to rock the cowboy gear. Just to clarify ,that rockin what ever gear you want is totally cool with me.

The following quote
    When the idea to examine conditioning is brought up why do so many wish to defend the actual conditioning that is imprisoning them.
    This was really just refering to other dudes post and him gettin all bent outta shape.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    At least WWE isn't making their athelets act like this.
    Am I the only one who thinks WWE and athletes shouldn't be in the same sentence?

When I say "they" I'm referring to the same "they" that you were referring to in the post I responded to. By "come up" I "happen" or "occur". This isn't difficult...regardless of what they specifically mentioned all casual or inappropriate attire is not allowed, so it's not being unfair. I'm sure if 50% or more of the NBA players wore cowboy hats and cowboy boots THEY would've specifically mentioned that. Again, this isn't that tough to understand.

At least WWE isn't making their athelets act like this.

Am I the only one who thinks WWE and athletes shouldn't be in the same sentence?

seeing as I already said something about that...no.

EDIT: although I never said professional wrestlers weren't athletes, but it's still different.

• Word up, to bad the coaches can't get this across to these players. Cause these players are on some star glittter shit. I mean makin rap albums, comedy. That's about as likly as Q-bert winning the slam dunk contest.

• But it's all showbiz aka entertainment aka comedy, drama, excitement. Gotta keep the crowd coming back for more. Give em what they want. Make the helicopters come. COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    As usual, the white supremamcist apologists on the Strut are out in full force. I swear to god, half of you probably think lynching was just a bad accident involving a tree and rope.

"Nope, no racism anywhere."

Frankly, in the big scheme of things, the dress code isn't on the same level as, you know, apartheid or anything. But it's so fucking transparent that this is aprt of the attempt of the NBA to reform its image, make it less "street" (read: black) or less "hip hop" (definite ly read: black) because people like Stern feel like today's NBA is alienating white viewers. I mean, this stuff has been EXPLICTLY SAID, it's not backroom whispers. As far as a lot of cats are concerned, the NBA has an image problem and for better or for worse, it's players like Ron Artest who've become the posterchildren for that "problem."

The dress code is just another way of trying to "de-thug" the NBA and if you don't think race is at the heart of this, you're being willfully ignorant. I don't have a problem with the dress code insofar as I think dressing professionally is something professionals do. It just bothers me that people are so quick to make excuses and deflect the mere suggestion that race has anything to do with things like this.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Make the helicopters come. COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know Prymetyme and Rob Nice can make the helicopters come!!!!!!!!!!!

U crazy