This gets better every time i listen to it

Comments

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    We'll have a (ayo) listening session at the crib in tandem with pifff.

• I have never ever heard pet sounds. not once.

I'm mad curious to check it now, though.

Dude...the song where Carl, Brian and Al feed the goats...bloodshitter...[/b]

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    if this isnt one of the best albums ever please tell me what is.

this is what's missing

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    if this isnt one of the best albums ever please tell me what is. dont even say Cymande

These are all better to me:

Cymande
    Axis: Bold As Love
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    From a Whisper to a Scream
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    Slanted and Enchanted (for real)
    and so on...

Most of these records aren't even comparable stylistically, let alone quality-wise. I mean, this is like saying "I think Asparagus is sooooo much better than orange juice."

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Ding ding ding...

'Pet Sounds' in and of itself is a great album, not however the mighty colossus that critical fluffers have tried to make it over the years.

Also see Kind of Blue.
    Also see: lean + ecstasy + shrooms.

You forgot mescaline.
    Also see: brain damage.

(no offense)

On the flipside of Terrence McKenna-theory see: never kicking your mind into its next stage of development.

Psychedelics aren't just for kids, I mean kicks.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    l o molefrackin L!!!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I think its overrated.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    if this isnt one of the best albums ever please tell me what is. dont even say Cymande

Cymande
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    and so on...

Most of these records aren't even comparable stylistically, let alone quality-wise. I mean, this is like saying "I think Asparagus is sooooo much better than orange juice."
    true dat

• if this isnt one of the best albums ever please tell me what is. dont even say Cymande

Cymande
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    and so on...

Come on. I may not agree with everything on that list but the Hendrix, Beatles, Sly and Marvin LPs all rate, and none of them was sprinkled with the magical pixie dust of Brian Wilson losing his grip on reality.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Cymande
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    and so on...

OK, I like the Chantays' Beyond better than anything the Beach Boys ever recorded.

What surfers sing in harmony while wearing pinstriped ice cream outfits anyway?

Seriously give me the Sonics and a beer while y'all circle jerk to Pet Sounds.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have never ever heard pet sounds. not once.

Dude and you're getting at me because you thought I didn't give Queen Latifah enough props? LORD

I wasn't raised around that type of music, still not.

Cymande
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    and so on...

Come on. I may not agree with everything on that list but the Hendrix, Beatles, Sly and Marvin LPs all rate, and none of them was sprinkled with the magical pixie dust of Brian Wilson losing his grip on reality.

You're missing my point; comparing Marvin Gaye to the Beach Boys is like comparing NWA to Otis Redding. It just doesn't make sense to conduct such a comparison.

• if this isnt one of the best albums ever please tell me what is. dont even say Cymande

Cymande
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    and so on...

You're missing my point; comparing Marvin Gaye to the Beach Boys is like comparing NWA to Otis Redding. It just doesn't make sense to conduct such a comparison.

Who would you say it's fair to compare the Beach Boys to? Other surf groups (in which case they are clearly the best ever)? Other 60's pop/rock?

• I have never ever heard pet sounds. not once.

Dude and you're getting at me because you thought I didn't give Queen Latifah enough props? LORD

Yeah, they don't really listen to stuff like The Beach Boys in California.

ZING!

Birdman will want to strangle me, too, 'cause I kinda agree with the ""vanilla barbershop quartet music" comment. There is something about The Beach Boys that is so unbelievably limp to my ears.

Crucify me. I don't care. It's my opinion.

Rape_Donkeys Bonus Round: This album rates me "weak." (Give me "Icing" any day!)

Cymande
    Stand
    Rubber Soul
    What's Goin' On
    Songs in the Key of Life
    and so on...

Who would you say it's fair to compare the Beach Boys to? Other surf groups (in which case they are clearly the best ever)? Other 60's pop/rock?

I think 60s rock is an apt comparison. I'm not mad at the comparisons to the Beatles, but I don't think anyone ever said the Beatles were less good. But comparing it to Cymande?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    shit i swear people on here dont have ears

I have never ever heard pet sounds. not once.

Yeah, they don't really listen to stuff like The Beach Boys in California.

ZING!

1).WOW! The cuddling never stops with you guys.

2). What I meant to say is that mom and pops wheren't blasting a lot of "white music" growing up. Mostly a lot of Motown and latin music.

• shit i swear people on here dont have ears

Because failure to participate in the beatification of 'Pet Sounds' surely renders one tasteless...

...or earless...

Def Leppard is better than O.V. Wright.

Peabo Bryson is better than 13th Floor Elevators.

Kool G. Rap is better than John Coltrane.

step to my abstract criticism bitches!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Just like compairing your tastes to someone elses. This album doesn't blow everyones mind, so what? Plus I think you can compare NWA and Otis. They both were short lived amazing artists who blew people away live and had tons of energy.

Plus I think you can compare NWA and Otis. They both were short lived amazing artists who blew people away live and had tons of energy.

GET THIS GUY A COLUMN!

and yo....I gotta give props to that_little_niggy_the_mack for being only a junior high school but having the tastes to check out some shit like the beach boys. The little dude is ahead of the pack.

• and yo....I gotta give props to that_little_niggy_the_mack for being only a junior high school but having the tastes to check out some shit like the beach boys. The little dude is ahead of the pack.

Can't listen to Hilary Duff all the time[/b]...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    and yo....I gotta give props to that_little_niggy_the_mack for being only a junior high school but having the tastes to check out some shit like the beach boys. The little dude is ahead of the pack.

seriously? junior high?

Plus I think you can compare NWA and Otis. They both were short lived amazing artists who blew people away live and had tons of energy.

GET THIS GUY A COLUMN!

Nah, my spelling is so bad even spell check can't fix it.

"Your computer just looks at you like ' I got all the words in here and that doesn't look like any of them!' "
    - some comedian I saw the other night on TV

seriously? junior high?

YOUNG PHONIKS STRIKES AGAIN!

I meant a junior in[/b] high school. and yes Miss Bassie, the boy is single.

seriously? junior high?

YOUNG PHONIKS STRIKES AGAIN!

I meant a junior in[/b] high school. and yes Miss Bassie, the boy is single.

I am now way more impressed by The Mack's ears than I am Pet Sounds.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    First off I'd say of course Pet Sounds is a great record. Unfortunately it reminds me of Mojo/Rolling Stone/Spin readers that only listen to the same 20 classic rock lps day in and day out. I think an album can be great and overrated and Pet Sounds is the classic case. IMO it's the most overated album ever.So shoot me. I have literally hundreds of albums that I like more than Pet Sounds. File under albums that I don't need to own because my girlfriend has it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dudes its fucking pet sounds.

this is the record by which all music geekery is to be measured.

for that it can never be overated...

honestly i don't think there is another record you can compare pet sounds too.. yeah the beatles maybe except there are WAY more rips on the beach boys from the beatles than the other way around.

and sloop john b is my shit right there.

muthafucka took away ALL MY CORN!!!

yeah cymande are dope and all that but you cannot ever duplicate the retarded telepathic harmonics of siblings who sang together from birth supervised by a FREAKING GENIUS!!!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Is there some sort of hip to be square appeal with Pet Sounds? It's ironic, maybe? The BBoys might've done more drugs than a lot of bands and kicked it with the Manson Family but this is still some square ass music to my ears.

Now with that being said, Conscious Daughters or Led Zepplin?