Favorite Vintage Drum Machine

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I don't have one because I'm still in the process of discovering them but I am partial to the TR808 since I actually used one when I was learning. I'm yet to find samples that sound as good as the real thing, but I've gotten some decent ones.

The first drum machine I owned was an Akai XR10 This was in '91-92 and the sounds were a bit goofy at the time (I wanted samples) but I learned a lot from it. Not close to my favorite but I wish i still had it. I think it might have had the tom sound that Kanye played out.

Comments

• yet....

What is that? or are you saying software is soft?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

yet....

What is that? or are you saying software is soft?

thats cool edit. Which is a decent little piece of software. Also it was the first shit i started on like 10 years ago.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    im saying there is no prestige attached to using cooledit 2.0. when you tell someone you own an mpc or sp or something they think you know your shit and are serious about beats where as "yeah i use cooledit" usually elicits a response of "oh" and a disapointed frown. i pretty much keep it on the low until after the beats have been heard. hence not a good look.

now that said, after watching the kev brown video and seeing the amount of time it took for him to chop 4 notes, im not ever gonna be fuckin with an mpc. you could do that in cooledit in 20 or 30 seconds and rearrange them on the fly to your drum pattern even quicker than that. thats where the real headz know the deal comes in.

and and and and ...
    did I say ?

• im saying there is no prestige attached to using cooledit 2.0.hence not a good look

you could do that in cooledit in 20 or 30 seconds and rearrange them on the fly to your drum pattern even quicker than that. thats where the real headz know the deal comes in.

Oh, OK, I feel you. Didn't recognize cool edit being on a

Computers can streamline shit in a big way. As long as you understand the raw, hip-hop production methods, and you get a good sound, who cares how it's done. Cool Edit, Reason, who cares. Just make it sound good. I used to be a grumpy anti computer cat once, but seriously, real heads do know the deal.

I use Pro Tools mostly for recording, mixing, and effects, but I don't edit there much. I might sequence a sampler or a drum machine on a PT midi tack, but even when using software, I still build with tradition methods. Samples to pads, sequence, drum machine shit. Not much cut and paste on the waveform, I digress.

I'm talking about vintage drum machines. What makes your ?

• Maestro Rythym King

• for real, when i was like 10 i used to load up 10 different sound windows (named snare, kick, claps etc), have one recording, and with my mouse click play on the appropriate windows.

On windows 3.1- i didn't even know what a sampler was, i just wanted to make music and didn't know how.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Roland CR68/78. You are now entering the no-MIDI zone???

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Maestro Rythym King

Speaking of Timmy Thomas drums, what's up with that CD?

• Roland CR68/78. You are now entering the no-MIDI zone???

Nice. I'm actually about to make a patch using the CR78 samples. They sound so dope. Don't know the 68. Is it a slimed down version of the 78?

• I had an oberheim DMX which was the cool thing was the cards in side you could replace. and it also had little wheels on the cards for each sound so you could adjust the pitch. We would do some weird experimental shit with punching the pads and adjusting the pitch and then running the shit through multiple compressors. the basslines were not really for hiphop but dnb its ok. I loved that thing I need to get another one when I have some loot and I can start rebuilding my studio.

If anyone is interested I have a Roland R8MKII 1U rack mount drum machine with a ton of the sound cards for it. I am trying to sell it and all the cards for 450$US plus s/h and insurance. I even have the original manuals. it has the 808/909 card which sounds just like the original machine.

gat at me if interested. trying to sell ASAP.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Nice. I'm actually about to make a patch using the CR78 samples. They sound so dope. Don't know the 68. Is it a slimed down version of the 78?

Yes. Same sounds, but less functionality. The pic doesn't actually show my machines. My 68 is nice and clean and not battered and painted black like that one

• DMX + Prommer = fuck off man, I got my own shit over here + midi!

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    My fav joints are the roland 808, the 909 is dope also

and the linn drum

• You can write Eproms for the Linn Drum as well, and actually, it has more chips, so linndrum + prommer = same statement as previously posted.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I'm going to have to go with The Human Linn Drum Ready Rock C

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

yet....

...all i use.

were these programmable at all? i remember i bid on one on ebay once but clearly lost it.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Propellerheads' Rebirth. It's no longer in production so I guess this piece of software can be called "vintage"...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Just dope. Slept on like what.

• How 'bout this one?

Roland System 100[/b]

I'm digging these sounds I downloaded. The interface looks interesting, too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My favorite was my first.

I used to put batteries in this bitch and be making beats in lunchroom.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

for real, when i was like 10 i used to load up 10 different sound windows (named snare, kick, claps etc), have one recording, and with my mouse click play on the appropriate windows.

On windows 3.1- i didn't even know what a sampler was, i just wanted to make music and didn't know how.

• for real, when i was like 10 i used to load up 10 different sound windows (named snare, kick, claps etc), have one recording, and with my mouse click play on the appropriate windows.

I sued to do the same thing when i was a kid, 'cept there was no Windows, and I used multiple tape decks. Sometimes five at a time. Sometimes pasue tapes, other times live mixing.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

for real, when i was like 10 i used to load up 10 different sound windows (named snare, kick, claps etc), have one recording, and with my mouse click play on the appropriate windows.

I guess thats howeveryone started out. I remember counting the MS between the kick and the hihats so i could measure how long 1/8th would be in a 2 bar drum loop I made from cutting and pasting terrible soundin drumhits.

haha..oh yea the good old times

My favorite was my first.

I used to put batteries in this bitch and be making beats in lunchroom.

same here, only i had a crappier model, cant remember the number but it was small, silver casing with blue buttons, but definitely a dr. rhythm, it was fun..

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts

this is the mostest gangsterest post ive ever seen on this board! Props!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

same here, until I upgraded to

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Mellotron=

same here, until I upgraded to

FT2 YES!..