Weekday Finds 10/3 - 10/7

Comments

• Options
    here's one for K.

I appreciate the attempt, but that LP is akin to trees up here. SHow me "Dance The Ska" and then we're talking.

, K.

hahaha

chicago needs more trees

Scarborough, K.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I've always had a love affair with it since sneaking off with friends as 6 year old kids and riding 'til the end of the lines. I don't feel that far removed from those times 28 years later. Just now it's records instead of Japanese models.

you were chilling w/ japanese models on the bus when you were 6??? were they child models? or did you just date older women during your elementary school years?

amazing looking stuff kevin. would love to sit around and check out those tunes on a rainy fall afternoon in _____ (insert your favorite photo of scarborough as you often do, gotta respect the pride)

in detroit for the weekend and early week, heading back to TX in a few hours.

haven't posted one these in a long while.

jothan callins & Sounds of Togetherness - Winds of Change
    clifford jordan quartet - glass bead games
    matrix - s/t on progress records
    prince igor's czar - from russia with jazz - on Different Drummer
    The Explosive Side of Joe Panama on Decca (sweet soul "Soul Sister" kills me)
    Randy Masters featuring Solar Plexus - Voices on Evidence
    Tommy Butler - S/T on Zardaep (sealed)
    Chris Bartley - The sweetest thing this side of heaven LP
    Anita Ortez - Personally Yours on Demand (1 tracker- w/ great Mas Que Nada vers.)
    Scotty Young - Downside Up on SPace Administration (good small label jazz)

Sons of Negus - Freedom Sounds on Dynamic
    The Hiltonaires - Ska-Motion in Ska-Lip-So on WIRL
    Ras Michael & The Sons of Negus - Rastafari
    Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking (big thanks to ness for some TX hotel jams)
    Noel Ellis on Summer (ditto for SONIC on the trade, i'm feeling this)
    Linval Thompson and Ranking Trevor - Working 12" on Clappazz
    Don Evans - Haji Ba Ba 12" on Shade
    DJ Sassa Fros (??) - Story of Roots 12" on Clef (paging kevin)
    Skanking Dub 12"
    Sir Victor Uwaifo & His Melody Maestros 10" (big up to Breakself for this- THANKS!)
    Essence - I. Know 12" on Lighthouse (small label reggae that's pretty good, k???)
    Greatest Hits of Prince Allah in the sleeve for Sticky Fingers LP which I didn't realize until now
    Prince Jazzbo - Freedom 45 on Brisco

some other random shit

Who said there's no reggae in Detroit??

keep on finding 'em. and have fun out there- highlight fun plz.

• Envious - can't wait to check out that hot doo doo you have for me ari!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Finally got a digi cam so I can start participating in these oh so awesome threads. Some lunchtime Goodwill digging got me these. Anyone want a sealed Volume 1?

Also:

Marantha! Four - S/T
    Wes Montgomery - Movin' Wes
    Chase - S/T
    Brecker Bros - S/T
    Herbie Hancock - Treasure Chest
    Kalapana - S/T
    Kuh Ledesma - Ako Ay Pilipino
    Cold Blood - First Taste of Sin
    Jimmy Smith - Bashin'
    Jimmy McGriff - The Big Band

DJ Ferrari

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Marantha! Four - S/T
    Chase - S/T
    Brecker Bros - S/T
    Kalapana - S/T

you paid too much but the drum drops will pay for those

the Basho sells to the right person
    Blue Thumb, fanies

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Finally got a digi cam so I can start participating in these oh so awesome threads. Some lunchtime Goodwill digging got me these. Anyone want a sealed Volume 1?

DJ Ferrari

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

But it was half off day, so only 50 cents each

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    a
    al salam-ensamble still in shrink dead mint- my second copy

indiana45's needs this. give him a holler

But it was half off day, so only 50 cents each

'sextra fany

'sall good

LOST is on tonite, woohoo

• Yesterday was kind of nuts because people just kept walking into the shop with dope records. Took home two:

Jimmy Sabater - Solo on Tico. Great latin soul and bugalu outing.

Whispers - Planets Of Life on Janus. This copy is so smashed but I need it... now time to find a mint-up.

Also copped a mono Velvet Underground Andy Warhol with banana intact and sticker over the torso on the back.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Whispers - Planets Of Life on Janus. This copy is so smashed but I need it... now time to find a mint-up.

damn, i need that too!!!!!

• Anmol Ghadi ??? RD Burman

How is this one?

You got some nice ones for free there. Mostly "traditional" stuff though. Amar the full LP has some good tunes, I wonder if they're on the EP (Bairaag's best tune is not on EP ) Some of the music on Baiju Bawra sounds like a Kungfu flick to me. Have fun widdem! Report on Anmol if you get a chance.
    Peace
    T.N.

I have a record with that name. It's by Naushad. Was there a remake with RD Burman score? Anyway, the Naushad one is haunting. Beautiful record. Any change the names got mixed up?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Anmol Ghadi ??? RD Burman

How is this one?

You got some nice ones for free there. Mostly "traditional" stuff though. Amar the full LP has some good tunes, I wonder if they're on the EP (Bairaag's best tune is not on EP ) Some of the music on Baiju Bawra sounds like a Kungfu flick to me. Have fun widdem! Report on Anmol if you get a chance.
    Peace
    T.N.

I have a record with that name. It's by Naushad. Was there a remake with RD Burman score? Anyway, the Naushad one is haunting. Beautiful record. Any change the names got mixed up?

Sorry, I don't totally understand this question...are you asking if Naushad is the artist on Anmol Ghadi? Might be, in addition to Burman - would have to check when I get home.

I didn't get through all of them last night and admittedly picked the ones with the best covers first! They are definitely traditional and that's all right by me!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    a few grabs today:

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    12 inches[/b]

UGK - "Let me see it"

Larry Larr - "Larry that's what they call me"

Camron - "Welcome to New York City"

The Click - "Scandalous".

Albums[/b]

Bohannon - S/T.

Free Life - S/T.

Quazar - S/T.

Bill Withers - "Making Music"

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    My Mommy bought me Lou Johnson 45's in New York City.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Also:

Marantha! Four - S/T

Chase - S/T

Brecker Bros - S/T

Kalapana - S/T

Kuh Ledesma - Ako Ay Pilipino

Cold Blood - First Taste of Sin

Jimmy Smith - Bashin'

Jimmy McGriff - The Big Band

DJ Ferrari

I got the yellow Drum Drops. I don't find them to be worth much unless you're going to use them for producing.

The Jimmy McGriff is one of my favorites.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Don't have the LP, but I got the 45 of the title track, and it is

Astrology soul rocks my world. Still looking for that Readings in Astrology, too. I need a few more so I can make a horoscope headz mix.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    12 inches[/b]
    Larry Larr - "Larry that's what they call me"

• Whispers - Planets Of Life on Janus. This copy is so smashed but I need it... now time to find a mint-up.

Shit. I just found a NM copy of this for $2, didn't care much for it, so I put it on the bay and it sold for not much more than that!

I wish I knew people were looking for it, I would rather have traded it. Keep the goods in SS...

• LPs

Jim Ingram "Drumbeat"(respect) some drums and black power spoken word ish

Monk Motgomery "Bass Odyssey"(chsia) Fuselage pts 1 and 2 is that fuzz bass steez I need more of.

45s

Ko Ko Taylor "Instant Everything"(yambo) w/mighty joe young's band..tuff

Big John Hamilton "Big Fanny"(minaret) huge head noddin' drums and lyrics about big asses...must be slept on big time, because I was checkin ebay after I got it yesterday and the last one went for like 3 bucks.

Harvey Scales and the Seven Sounds "Get down 1970/Funky Football"(chess) classic two-sider

Loleatta Holloway "Bring it on up"(galaxy) nice, funky sister soul

Mitty Collier "My Party"(chess) whoa.

• I am an exotica head (feel free to hatt). Hadn't heard this Puente record yet and it's amazing. Another amazing exotrica find is Night in Cairo. Bellydance record with only percussion and moog. Exotica hatters will have a field day hatting on this (and secretly sample the shit out of it).

I like the Carol Woods record too. It's not raer I guess?

That Oimels record is something else! Whooah. It wasn't cheap but to me it's kind of essential sitar kraut stuff.

• Don't know how this really works it is kind of a clusterfuck but I traded myself for this. It was snatched up yesterday on a call-in collection....

(not the actual copy)

Easily one of the best soul records I've ever heard.

I brought in a couple $75-100 records from the home stash to compensate for the loss

• Don't know how this really works it is kind of a clusterfuck but I traded myself for this. It was snatched up yesterday on a call-in collection....

(not the actual copy)

Easily one of the best soul records I've ever heard.

I brought in a couple $75-100 records from the home stash to compensate for the loss

My white whale surfaces again.

• eetzeetz 53 Posts
    12 inches[/b]

The Click - "Scandalous". [/b]

have you played the accapella on this? my copy is so quiet you can't even use it. Just checkin' if it's the press or just my copy.

• And this one..."The Do-Re-Mi Children's Chorus" Their version of "Spooky" is straight bangin'!

• Options
    I've always had a love affair with it since sneaking off with friends as 6 year old kids and riding 'til the end of the lines. I don't feel that far removed from those times 28 years later. Just now it's records instead of Japanese models.

you were chilling w/ japanese models on the bus when you were 6??? were they child models? or did you just date older women during your elementary school years?

amazing looking stuff kevin. would love to sit around and check out those tunes on a rainy fall afternoon in _____ (insert your favorite photo of scarborough as you often do, gotta respect the pride)

in detroit for the weekend and early week, heading back to TX in a few hours.

haven't posted one these in a long while.

jothan callins & Sounds of Togetherness - Winds of Change

clifford jordan quartet - glass bead games

matrix - s/t on progress records

prince igor's czar - from russia with jazz - on Different Drummer

The Explosive Side of Joe Panama on Decca (sweet soul "Soul Sister" kills me)

Randy Masters featuring Solar Plexus - Voices on Evidence

Tommy Butler - S/T on Zardaep (sealed)

Chris Bartley - The sweetest thing this side of heaven LP

Anita Ortez - Personally Yours on Demand (1 tracker- w/ great Mas Que Nada vers.)

Scotty Young - Downside Up on SPace Administration (good small label jazz)

Sons of Negus - Freedom Sounds on Dynamic

The Hiltonaires - Ska-Motion in Ska-Lip-So on WIRL

Ras Michael & The Sons of Negus - Rastafari

Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking (big thanks to ness for some TX hotel jams)

Noel Ellis on Summer (ditto for SONIC on the trade, i'm feeling this)

Linval Thompson and Ranking Trevor - Working 12" on Clappazz

Don Evans - Haji Ba Ba 12" on Shade

DJ Sassa Fros (??) - Story of Roots 12" on Clef (paging kevin)

Skanking Dub 12"

Sir Victor Uwaifo & His Melody Maestros 10" (big up to Breakself for this- THANKS!)

Essence - I. Know 12" on Lighthouse (small label reggae that's pretty good, k???)

Greatest Hits of Prince Allah in the sleeve for Sticky Fingers LP which I didn't realize until now

Prince Jazzbo - Freedom 45 on Brisco

some other random shit

Who said there's no reggae in Detroit??

keep on finding 'em. and have fun out there- highlight fun plz.

Nice finds, Ari. You know you're more than welcome to visit any time you want.

IS the Noel Ellis the LP or the 12"? Either way, deep stuff. That label has quite a rich story.

Don't know the Lighthouse 12". SOunfile?

I can see Detroit having some reggae links as many older Jamaicans made frequent visits (most looking for indy Detroit soul 45's).

a couple things I found today

Nice Gibbs/Brown version of a studio 1 killer (Sharks version is with that latin-ish guitar hook)

"Strange Things" and "Be Wise" are the shots here....bass frequencies are down thur, too.

Killer Toronto independent dub jam. Dub frineds holler!

I like this label. Got a couple of these, too.

Sweet Grgory cover of Dobson's Treasure Isle classic.

Sporty was there for the genesis of Studio 1, wrote tunes for Marley/Wailers, made some killer indy funk jams in Miami (the Oceanliners are his band)..and married BEtty Wright. He sings this tune perfectly.

Dope trini disco jam that my friend Dimitri is a big fan of.

Arrived in the mail today. Latin/modern soul (the true definition, ie Jinx and my definition modern soul) jam.

K in Canada.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The funny thing is, if I could just have ONE DAY of finds like K has EVERY DAY, I would be happy for years...

• There are vocals on this record!!! Some hard R&B rockers!!!