REP your fave VSTs.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I was listening to C*sm* B's L*ve Break for about the 84th time this year, and was feeling those mid-mix effects.Then, that got me thinking about making some of my own.Then, that got me thinking I should use VSTs to do it.Then, that got me thinking about which VSTs ROCK THE MOST.So.... I'm going with Multilens, because it produces some of the most versatile and random echoes in the history of super spectacular echo effect type shit.I also wanna rep vstcentral.com.REP SOME, YAOMINGPaece.

Comments

• My secret weapon is Vintage Warmer on the drum tracks only. Unfuckwithable. Works every time.

When I first got into making music on computers I tried to get my hands on every VST available (freeware or cr*cked). I had a lot of fun fucking around with the Virtuaul Theremin and the volume on my speakers at 10, rattling the walls and scaring my neighbors. Spent hours mesmerised by a freeware Dub Delay VST effect, doing live manipulation on reggae tracks run through Cubase. Then I found I was spending so much time playing around with all these VSTs and such that most of my tracks sounded like muddled effect orgies by the end. Now I've stripped it down and only use a couple, mostly on the drums tracks.

SONIC

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Bitcrusher

Great for gritty - SP like effects / distortion + it's free

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Bitcrusher doesn't really sound like an sp, exactly, but I like it too. I wish lexicon would make a reverb plug in for my price range.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Oh yeah, tape delay plugins are fun as hell if you're using some kind of midi controller. Elastics.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Native Instruments' Guitar Rig[/b], Battery2[/b] and Elektrik Piano[/b]
    Spectrasonics' Trilogy[/b] and Atmosphere[/b]
    Vintag[/b]e Warmer as mentioned in the above post.
    Supatrigga[/b]
    Arturia Moog Modular[/b] and Minimoog[/b]

• GRM Tools (Yeah boy...Automation is sick with this thing.)
    Waves (Need I say more?)
    Amplitube (The only decent "crunch" VST I've had much success with.)

I'll take a look at Vintage Warmer when I get a chance.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Hydratone - best eq avalible as a plugin i believe, havent tried the URS everything EQ bundle yet.. because im real happy with hydratone really.
    GRM Tools - like someone said, automation with this one is incredible. great for sci-fi fx.
    Magneto - compression/distortion/tapesimulation/whatever alot better than 'vintage warmer' imho!
    Princeton Digital 2016 Stereo Room - Great sounding non-convolution reverb thats real friendly on the CPU usage

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Nice choice...

Vintage Warmer is always useful and handy, drum-wise speaking. Beat Detective is also hella useful, Bitcrusher too. I use all the Lexicon PSP module myself, but a lot of VST are on the same level. It realy depends of your taste. I use Drumagog a lot. Amplitube is always active around here too. The SpinAudio package is nice.
    Like stated before, Guitar Rig does a wonderful job. Otium FX just released a new set that i tend to over use. The Novation VST is my shit when Arturia let me down. I don't how it's possible but the VST is waaaaay better than the synth. I also highly recommend BIAS SoundSoap.
    Now i kinda stepped into the mastering world, so im into crazy RTAS...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    not to hijack, but if you're in this thread u may be able to help me out,do you dudes have any reccomendations in terms of books on sound theory kind of stuff? i want to start learning about it.

thanks

it's too vague...be more specific and i may help you out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i've pretty much weeded out all the vsts in my chain... just use the built in ableton jams and a bit of TC Works Limiter / Verb

um, just in terms of mixing properly and understanding all the various effects you can use and WHEN to use them...cause i was in the book store and i just wanted to buy one book to leap off, but dont know where to start...and everyone goes you always have to understand sound first when recording...there was some book that addresses visual diagrams to explain how a mix should sound (ie. for different genres different instruments dominate different parts of the mix)...it looked interesting...

as you can see i'm all over the place, im looking for some book on just some foundation on sound...if that makes any sense?

yea i forgot the TC's. I used to test them all since i know a beta tester. But i stopped this race coz it's a waste of time. Nowadays i only use like the same five VST that fit my script.

it does make sense, i'll dig up some for you, but since it's really music theory that you're talking about, i have to holla at my graduated friends. I don't read music!!!

it does make sense, i'll dig up some for you, but since it's really music theory that you're talking about, i have to holla at my graduated friends. I don't read music!!!

i loved this for music theory, really helped me out, its a great intro for someone that was absolutely clueless like me
    http://www.ravenspiral.com/ravenspiralguide.pdf

but im talking about more along the lines of books on sound production really, thats what im looking for

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There's a great book called "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" that is basically a bunch of interviews with badass mix engineers giving tons of little tips in all different areas (dynamics, eq, stereo image, etc.) This one gave me some great ideas I use a lot.

One book that's got a steeper learning curve but has some serious depth to it is "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz. It's got by far the best explanations of compression I've read. A lot of times, when an MC brings me a beat on CD, I had to become in effect a mastering engineer to de-crappify their mix when no multitrack was available, and this was helpful. He goes over the whole mastering chain all the way to duplication and gave me a great understanding of the process and how far I need to take tracks before mastering (if I'm not mastering it).

Subscibe (for free!) to Tape Op Magazine immediately. They also got a good book that's the highlights of the first 12 issues. Lots of great DIY stuff in there, and some fantastic interviews.

Pro Sound Web is a great forum with some heavyweights chiming in from time to time.

Hope that helps.

Mike

There's a great book called "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" that is basically a bunch of interviews with badass mix engineers giving tons of little tips in all different areas (dynamics, eq, stereo image, etc.) This one gave me some great ideas I use a lot.

One book that's got a steeper learning curve but has some serious depth to it is "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz. It's got by far the best explanations of compression I've read. A lot of times, when an MC brings me a beat on CD, I had to become in effect a mastering engineer to de-crappify their mix when no multitrack was available, and this was helpful. He goes over the whole mastering chain all the way to duplication and gave me a great understanding of the process and how far I need to take tracks before mastering (if I'm not mastering it).

Subscibe (for free!) to Tape Op Magazine immediately. They also got a good book that's the highlights of the first 12 issues. Lots of great DIY stuff in there, and some fantastic interviews.

Pro Sound Web is a great forum with some heavyweights chiming in from time to time.

Hope that helps.

Mike

thanks very much for the time u took to respond, i'l definitely check all of that out.
    peace!

in addition to that, here's some more...

-Production Mixing Mastering with Waves
    by Anthony Eqizii
    -Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science
    by Bob Katz
    -Audio Made Easy : (Or How to Be a Sound Engineer Without Really Trying)
    by Ira White if you are really a noob...

And here's "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" in .pdf format for y'all to check.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2B6UTU1VWCUQ31QWPO03ZUL806

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

bwahahahahahhaha!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

And here's "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" in .pdf format for y'all to check.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2B6UTU1VWCUQ31QWPO03ZUL806

damn, didn't ask for that!! much appreciated holmes, thanks bigtime!
    peace

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    URS VINTAGE BEYOTCH!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    URS VINTAGE BEYOTCH!

how does that one compare to hydratone tho? did you try both? i dont remember. sorry if i asked before!!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I never got the hydratone to work. Input leds flash but no output
    Oh yea, forgot to mention Bluetubes!

The URS joints gotnice emulations of some classic EQs (I never heard the OG units, so don't take my word for it) like
    API, NEVE, PULTEC, etc....

I like the neve alot for smooth adjustments, it doesnt sound so harsh
    The API is ill too! I just wish I could get that stupid hydratone to work

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Do any of y'all use any VSTs make bass notes ?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Do any of y'all use any VSTs make bass notes ?

yes yall, plaese to be answering that.

also, has anyone tried the M-Audio vintage synth emulations like the Minimonsta or the Oddity?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    for bass you really need a synth module.. get a microkorg or a cheap roland..

i can't make no bass on a vst. sounds like (b)ass as oppossed to BASS