Funny Biz Markie stories and appreciation thread!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• This really is the best thread i've ever had the pleasure to read.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Biz then tells me that next month he, Kane and Shante are doing a European tour together. Biz said he and Kane will be doing "Just rhymin' with Biz" live! I guess there is a show at Brixton Academy in London next month with the following line up: Biz, Kane, Shante, MC Shan, Chubb Rock, Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock! Damn I want to see that show!

This tour was supposed to swing by Copenhagen April 22nd, but surprise surprise - the show just got cancelled.

• Biz then tells me that next month he, Kane and Shante are doing a European tour together. Biz said he and Kane will be doing "Just rhymin' with Biz" live! I guess there is a show at Brixton Academy in London next month with the following line up: Biz, Kane, Shante, MC Shan, Chubb Rock, Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock! Damn I want to see that show!

Biz & Shante are scheduled to perform @ The Melkweg in Amsterdam the 24th of April..Man I just hope the rest of the click decides to hit Amsterdam on the same date..I'm getting a ticket first thing tomorrow!

[/edit]

this from the Brixton Academy site:

Big Daddy Kane, Biz Markie, Dougie Fresh, Roxanne Shante, Chubb Rock, Rob Base + EZ Rock and uk Support Other Features - Break Dancers, Graffiti Artists , DJ and Mc Show cases/Battles and Beat Boxers

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    This is the third time I've read this thread from start to finish.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    bump

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Great thread. My only Biz experience was catching the Spitkickers tour in Cincinnati. Biz deejayed to open it, and he was doing the belly-crossfade, and not really on any sort of beat. Just slam back and forth. Then, when he finally goes on, and the crowd hears 'just a friend' and we all start singing it, he just bends over and screams like a wild man from the bottom of his lungs. No words, just a long sustained scream. Then he beatboxed for 45 seconds and left the stage. It was crazy and I learned a lot about hiphop from Biz that night. Thanks Biz!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My friend and I had a brief conversation about Biz earlier, and it reminded me of this thread, which I just re-read, laughing my ass off the whole time. I think it's worthy of a bump for that.

• This thread is too damn dope. I've got to get it going again!

So one day Biz and I are talkin on the phone and I tell him I really like the Grand Daddy I.U. LP "Smooth Assassin." Biz starts telling me all kinds of stories about making the album. My favorite was when he said "You know Mary J. Blige was singin' on sugar free right?" "I used to go pick her up in the projects in New Jersey, I'm the one that got her the deal with MCA."

That's a biz embllishment. My cousin Mary Brown sang on Sugar Free, Not Ms. Blige.

And Biz still has my waterfront joints.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Just one of those threads that deserves a little bump.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    someone needs to interview biz and go to his secret special house that is just for his collectables and get some pic,They did a little somethin on him in Big Daddy but no one has ever "gotten inside"

wax poetics fodder for days

"every board game ever made"
    the cti breifcase
    and all that other shit he talks about [action figures/toys/posters/arcade games/barbie dolls?wtf? oh yeah and rare azz records.....}

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Can someone re-post those mp3's from thesone and Biz ont he phone?

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    wow...i read this 10 pagers, and i'm now sure that if we had to elect the most hiphop artist of the History, i would say Biz. And i'm sure a lot of people would agree.
    unfortunately, i never met him live. He came in france a couple of time but either i was abroad or i wasn't available. I almost catched him on N.Y. in 1996 but i missed him again. Maybe one of these days, who knows.
    I remember when Dusty brung that mardi gras craze. If my memory is good, he brung back Jazzy Jay (yea the real one) on his forum. We even had a topic with him. Then he did those two topics about Mardi Gras and also about Last Nite I Changed It All (the telephone ring=the bells=same myth). I talk about that because i clearly remember Dusty saying that Biz told him this, Biz told him that, but he ended up confessing "it might also not be true because Biz is a real storyteller". So i guess embellishment is a part of B.I.

This thread is awesome.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    imbugging that dollar bin upped this thread exactly a year ago to the day he upped it last.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This thread never gets old.

• wznwzn 16 Posts
    Anyone got some new stories?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i remember reading this when i was just a lurker

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Obama's Favorite DJ!

• Obama's Favoriye DJ!

^^^
    THE ONLY BAD PRESIDENTIAL CHOICE HE'LL MAKE, EVER.

It should have read "The Political Biz Markie"

On another note............

Duderonomy

• I saw Biz DJ a couple years ago in Vegas for some private party.

It was some company party held inside what is now Body English. Open Bar, VIP Tables, blah blah blah.

So I roll in there just getting off work and proceed to get Gin & Tonic trashed. Biz is on the decks (rocking CDR's to my dismay) and I was dancing and singing up a storm.

Pretty standard to all your stories so far. "Just A Friend", TV Theme Songs, Belly Fader tricks, etc..

Then the lights come on.

So the party is over and they clearing out the place. Biz is packing up his CD's and he starts walking out of the booth. In a drunken' moment, I rush the booth and call to him "Take Me to the Mardi Gras, Take me to the Mardi Gras" and he stops and looks right at me.

Now mind you the dancefloor is cleared and the majority of people left are all zombie walking to the exits.

Again I yell at him "Take me to the Mardi Gras!", except this time I say "You aint got it. It dont exist. You ain't got it."

At this point he looks right at me and knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Biz gives me a sly smile and turns right around and goes back in to the booth, opens up his CD binder, turns everything back on and proceeds to CUT THE SHIT out of the intro for 5 minutes straight.

The whole time I'm dancing and jumping like a fool and theres maybe 20 left in the club.

Biz finishes, gives me a smile and some daps and is out.

Biz played a song for me.

DuderonomyYemsky

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Again I yell at him "Take me to the Mardi Gras!", except this time I say "You aint got it. It dont exist. You ain't got it."

were there bells?

• Again I yell at him "Take me to the Mardi Gras!", except this time I say "You aint got it. It dont exist. You ain't got it."

were there bells?

Well I just wanted to see if there was a 12" of the song.

Like I said, he pulled out a CDR but it was the standard LP version recorded. Bells intact.

I ain't mad though.
    Yemsky

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    AWESOME!!!

I remember this one. Someone plz to upload when he did "Let Me Turn You On" @ The Apollo!!!!!!!!

Make sure to check out @ 3:18 and the beatbox at the end!! Biz has to be a Apollo fav for life.

DuderonomyBlokeyMan

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Killer.
    Massive big ups to BIZ for being who & how he is.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Bump to one of the greatest threads about one of the greatest dudes ever.

Forward to the future, Soul Strut.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    amazing day here in Soul Strut land!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is time-capsule shit.

Just remembered I was at the London festival show Thes mentions at the top, although I never caught PUTS that day - I think we got in a little too late. I remember Jeru throwing a tantrum and storming offstage, though. De La, PE and Ice-T were good, but Biz was just off the hinges. My girl's adored him ever since - she still talks about that show.