Home Recording Setup Appreciation.

silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
"Ill show you mine if you show me yours".

Comments

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    nice rack.

Here's my grandmother's studio

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Sony direct drive turntable PS-4750.It's a model from the 70's i couldn't find a pic of it.

Alright it's not really a home studio setup

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Nothing special.

• Nice setup!

I dug the sound you got on Chewing On Glass, was wondering what you recorded to. You do most of your recording to the 002? And what kind of synth is that next to the rack? it looks

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    can we get a closeup on the racks plaese?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I love threads like this

There's more but these are the pics I have now.

• Nice setup!

I dug the sound you got on Chewing On Glass, was wondering what you recorded to.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed. I did the Glass record on an old ass Neotek Series 1 console, mostly to Digital Performer, Mixed to tape, with seme drums and instruments tracked in another studio. I switched to Protools since then, but think I'm gonna sell it and just get a really good DA/AD and Logic. One step at a time of course, my API setup cost a fortune. The synth next to the rack is a KorgMS20. I'm getting the MS50 expander unit next week. The rack is a modula API, and is mixed to an Otari MTR12 1/4 machine. :

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That LP had pretty extensive liner notes about the recording of each track that, as a geek, I enjoyed thoroughly, btw. I remember a Neotek board as the center of the setup. He caan probably drop some knowledge, it being his setup and all.

Great album, by the way. I use it to test out PA's with subs when I'm working because I know it pretty well and people always ask me what it is.

I don't have that much room in my new place, so there's a lot of gear in storage. I'm been making music reusing the samples I recorded to my computer over the last few years. Been playing more Rhodes and guitar, though.

It really is nice having everything in one place in a setup that you don't have to think about. For me, I get such littl etime to be creative, it's a bummer when I have to grabn gear from all over the house to record a little idea. By the time it's all set up it's all evaporated into the ether. I've been trying to develop songs more before I even attempt to record them so this is not as much of a problem.

Respect to anyone creating anything positive. Thanks for the tunes!

Mike

• Hey Mike.
    Thanks for the proppers.
    Space is a serious issue in my place as well, at least I have a dedicated room which is more than I can say for a lot of freinds. Making beats / records under the stress umbrella from neighbors and a landlord living downstairs is a real bitch. I really need to put a downpayment on my own place soon, cause apartment living while trying to work on projects kinda sucks. For me it has always been a matter of convenience, I wanna be able to make shit at 3am if Im inspired, but also dont wanna have to travel across town to so that.
    My landlord is replacing my back porch sliding doors this morning. I was up till 4am.
    Shit man.

• +

+
    Sour D

This from a recovering gear junkie (ASR , MPC 60)

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    dope, Rob!
    Love studio shots.

yes ... move to Logic ... it is the altar i pray to everyday (even though i rock the PC 5.5).

• Hey Mike.
    Thanks for the proppers.
    Space is a serious issue in my place as well, at least I have a dedicated room which is more than I can say for a lot of freinds. Making beats / records under the stress umbrella from neighbors and a landlord living downstairs is a real bitch. I really need to put a downpayment on my own place soon, cause apartment living while trying to work on projects kinda sucks. For me it has always been a matter of convenience, I wanna be able to make shit at 3am if Im inspired, but also dont wanna have to travel across town to so that.
    My landlord is replacing my back porch sliding doors this morning. I was up till 4am.
    Shit man.

i hear ya. the lady that lives upstairs from me stomped violently on my floor last night at 9:20 pm while i was recording a track with my friend melisa. about 20 minutes later, i look outside and there's a cop car parked facing the wrong way on the street in front of my building. i'm like oh shit, she called the cops because for some reason i think she is scared of me, or reluctant to communicate in a normal fashion. so i lower the music and wait for 10 mins, no more cops outside.

we end our session early and leave my apt so i can give melisa a ride home. while walking to my car (parked behind my building) another cop rolled up. i gave them a glance and kept walking to my car. once at my car, another cop posted on the other side of my building eyeing us. i shake it off and we leave and i take her home.

now, some of you that know me well might realize why this is somewhat troublesome because of the other activities i'm involved with, and all it would take is this pissed off woman upstairs to plant some seeds of suspicion to salt my game in the worst way with any mention of these activities. needless to say, i'm a little worried.

it got worse when i drove back home and found a car in front of my place. both cops in the car just sitting there waiting for something. i kept driving and around for an hour or so until the cop left and went to the diner up the street. that was around 11:30pm last night and now i'm still in my apt today.

needless to say, some things have got to change around here. mainly, i need to step out "the game" and make less risky more legitimate moves to avoid this kind of anxiety and still get that bread.

sorry to go off topic, but i do wish i had a lot more space here for music purposes. sixtoo, that set-up looks really nice man but I agree that your own home is the way to go!

• I love threads like this

Is that an ASR-10 to the far right (bottom pic)?

• Hey Mike.

Thanks for the proppers.

Shit man.

i hear ya. the lady that lives upstairs from me stomped violently on my floor last night at 9:20 pm while i was recording a track with my friend melisa. about 20 minutes later, i look outside and there's a cop car parked facing the wrong way on the street in front of my building. i'm like oh shit, she called the cops because for some reason i think she is scared of me, or reluctant to communicate in a normal fashion. so i lower the music and wait for 10 mins, no more cops outside.

we end our session early and leave my apt so i can give melisa a ride home. while walking to my car (parked behind my building) another cop rolled up. i gave them a glance and kept walking to my car. once at my car, another cop posted on the other side of my building eyeing us. i shake it off and we leave and i take her home.

now, some of you that know me well might realize why this is somewhat troublesome because of the other activities i'm involved with, and all it would take is this pissed off woman upstairs to plant some seeds of suspicion to salt my game in the worst way with any mention of these activities. needless to say, i'm a little worried.

it got worse when i drove back home and found a car in front of my place. both cops in the car just sitting there waiting for something. i kept driving and around for an hour or so until the cop left and went to the diner up the street. that was around 11:30pm last night and now i'm still in my apt today.

needless to say, some things have got to change around here. mainly, i need to step out "the game" and make less risky more legitimate moves to avoid this kind of anxiety and still get that bread.

sorry to go off topic, but i do wish i had a lot more space here for music purposes. sixtoo, that set-up looks really nice man but I agree that your own home is the way to go!

Dreas...

Man, that sounds like a bit of a situation you got going on there. Any times I have been on the 'hustle', it has always with a delivery-only type policy. If a dood wants to jack you for whatever you have in illegal substance, chances are, if they come to your crib and see gear, that is also gonna move with them {it has happened to more than one friend of mine in the trafficing of substance/working on music trade)... 2. Music draws attantiuon to you already, because it makes strangers come to/from your crib, so adding actual strangers in the mix is bad news to the neighbors. Be smart man, keep one or the other out of your crib... (In my case you can supplement my graffiti lifestlye with the former trafficing of substance: no flicks, no cans, no mask... nothing racked stays here).

Lets see more setups: Day, nice looking room!

RPMers: When we gonna hear some new shit? Do send please.

• thanks for the advice mang. i think i'll be fine. i'm already implementing some immediate changes here right along the lines of keeping one thing out of my apt and my music will be staying. so maybe i'll post a pic of what my broke ass set up looks like when i get back from lunch this afternoon.

• sorry i keep flossing the same coupla pics of my setup, but

not all my gear is visible in this one. Vestax 6-track cassette baby!!
    audio forthcoming (maybe )

• dayday 9,611 Posts

It's an Ensoniq EPS. Back around '95 before I had anything more than tables I had asked someone who'd been making beats for a long time what he thought was better - an MPC or an ASR? He told me get an EPS. As much as I love that machine and how usefull it was teaching me all the fundamentals, I wish I would have went with the ASR. At least those are more stable from what I hear. My EPS won't stay on longer than 10-20 minutes at a time without freezing up.

• There's more but these are the pics I have now.

It's an Ensoniq EPS. Back around '95 before I had anything more than tables I had asked someone who'd been making beats for a long time what he thought was better - an MPC or an ASR? He told me get an EPS. As much as I love that machine and how usefull it was teaching me all the fundamentals, I wish I would have went with the ASR. At least those are more stable from what I hear. My EPS won't stay on longer than 10-20 minutes at a time without freezing up.

So my next question is, you haven't taken a sledgehammer to that EPS yet? I'm sayin', I would have wild out on that shit if it kept acting up but that's me..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sorry i keep flossing the same coupla pics of my setup, but

NICE!

I see Irakere in the background. I've tracked down 2 copies of that record, but still not the one w/ that cover.

• This is where magic happens:

• I see Irakere in the background. I've tracked down 2 copies of that record, but still not the one w/ that cover.

yeah i was actually on the lookout for you cause i know you wanted it. i found 1 copy...different cover. tsup with that? i wish someone could drop some science on Cuban record cover art variations.
    but yeah that record is PLANTAINS!!![/b]

• It will get better in the future, please believe...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

So my next question is, you haven't taken a sledgehammer to that EPS yet? I'm sayin', I would have wild out on that shit if it kept acting up but that's me..

WOW I made the fucking worst coffee ever this morning

But yeah, it wasn't always like that. It used to work pretty regularly but after a couple years it gradually took a shit. I still turn it on every once in a while and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it cause I never got a chance to record everything I made on it.

• I just bought new decks, so I spent two nights and my day off moving around and rewiring the studio. You know when something's not really working for you, and when I change the set up I always get a new burst of creativity. I'll post up some flicks tonight.

• Gear:

and a slew of VST instruments.

SG

• sorry i keep flossing the same coupla pics of my setup, but

SHIT MAN. Thats what my room would look like if i spent money on instruments instead of rack gear! very nice.

• Recently Upgraded from the Original version of Reason to 3.0. Its definatley an entire new world. The combinator is worth the upgrade alone. Friend of mine gave me a gang of refills (a dvd-r worth) I was only on the original soundbank for like 3 years. Also Purchased a M-audio Trigger Finger. Its a different world once you go the software route. Its just hard trying not to open internet explorer at the same time.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    ... haha!!!
    so true.
    thats why i took my studio comp off line.
    i just had too.
    worth it in the end.

SilverRob: music may be coming your/marco's way... but last i checked you guys got a full full full plate
    but i can send some new stuff your way soon if you like. Let me know when you do Logic. I'm
    amped for the possibility of another lost soul coming into the flock.