Netflix recommendations

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
I want to catch up on some of the TV series that I never saw because I don't have cable.Is LOST season 1 out yet?Also, should I get Dave Chapelle? I never saw it. What season is better, 1 or 2?Ali G? Curb Your Enthusiasm?Not into 6 Feet Under.What else is good?I don't think I can do 24. I liked the first season but it's a little much I think. Also, what movies are suggested?I like anything really. So far in my queqe are the following. Serpico, Blood Simple and Evil Dead 2 are the ones that I've seen already, but wifey has not. Sleepy Hollow Blood Simple SerpicoRumble Fish Rosemary's Baby Crimes and Misdemeanors The Battle of Algiers M Rashomon The Wild Bunch Solaris Summer of Sam Badlands It's All Gone Pete Tong Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    alien (or anyone), if you want to do the netflix friends list thing i'm on there as noz @ gwu.edu

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know what that means, dude.

Hey, was Ken Burns "Civil War" any good?

I'm not a fan of dude but still...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Sleepy Hollow

Blood Simple

Serpico

Rumble Fish

Rosemary's Baby

Crimes and Misdemeanors

The Battle of Algiers

M

Rashomon

The Wild Bunch

Solaris

Summer of Sam

Badlands

It's All Gone Pete Tong

Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn

I haven't seen Pete Tong - and I'm not a Woody Allen fan - but that's a wicked list.
    Try HBO's Carnivale. Moss turned me on to it and Bam can back it up - it's wicked. Sexy, smart, creepy, beautiful to look at and great characters and story-telling.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    they've made an almost myspacish section of netflix where you can sign up friends and look at their queues and send recommendations and what have you. go to the site and click the friends tab.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah I just sent it over to you. The name that it's coming from isn't mine though, it will be p******n@shu.edu - my lady's name. Or it may be from S***** P*** okay?

• touki bouki just got released on dvd. dope senegalese film about youth on the run from the law. kinda like badlands and most godard jammies but set in dakar. i highly recommend it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Cool.

What's the OG movie that they based "Brasil" after?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just reserved "Spirited Away" even though I'm not really big on cartoons. Also I got "Brian's Song" the OG cause that's my shit.

• Also, should I get Dave Chapelle? I never saw it. What season is better, 1 or 2?

Hell yeah. I like the one where Dave tests his theory that white people love electric guitar, black people love drums and spanish people like "electric piano with gibberish yelled on top of it". Charlie Murphy's Rick James stories are also great.

I just got 'The Thing With Two Heads'. If you're into incredibly long and silly motorcycle chases involving guys with two heads and bongo-raer soundtrack, I highly recommend it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What season is better, 1 or 2?

• What season is better, 1 or 2?

hmm, not sure. I saw it after the fact via netflix so it's all a jumble in between the windmills of my mind.

• Cool.

What's the OG movie that they based "Brasil" after?

i didnt realize there was one. maybe youre thinking of another gilliam flick 12 monkeys which was based on chris marker's la jetee?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah, like Deltaland or something like that...

• Companeros
    The Great Silence (Corbucci)
    Diabolik

...Battle Of Algiers is sooo great.

• I just reserved "Spirited Away" even though I'm not really big on cartoons. Also I got "Brian's Song" the OG cause that's my shit.

I dig most of the director's, Miyazaki, work. I just picked up "Porko Rosso" on DVD, which is a funny tale about a flying pig in post-W.W.I. Italy.

On the TV tip, you might want to try the HBO series "Entourage," which is lite, popcorn fare that is not laugh-out-loud funny, but good nonetheless.

My last Netflix movies, a few classics and one that I have never seen before:

1.) Born on the Fourth of July,

2.) Godfather Part II

3.) Sword of Doom

Incoming:

Twin Peaks, Season 1, Disc 2.

• Zardoz

• i just got Brown Bunny in the mail through my netflix...word to the wise don't waste yout time.

This movie was absolutley awful...and I've been a fan of Vincent Gallo. I don't know what was going through his head, but this seemed as if it was intentionally bad.

check out "Kontroll"

• i just watched michael mann's first movie 'thief' and james caan is a bad ass in it.

sopranos season 5 finally came out on dvd

curb yr enthusiasm season 4 as well

does deadwood live up to the hype? i thought 6 feet under was boring.

born into brothels

muppet show

no direction home scorsese bob dylan movie (or you can tune in tonight on pbs)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i just watched michael mann's first movie 'thief' and james caan is a bad ass in it.

Bad ass is right. Great film.

sopranos season 5 finally came out on dvd

Saw it on TV.

does deadwood live up to the hype? i thought 6 feet under was boring.

Me too. I couldn't get into Deadwood, even with ODub's recommendation.

muppet show

NOW WE'RE TALKING...

• as i too celebrate michael mann's entire catalog, now's a good time to mention miami vice season 1 & 2 which i think mann directed a bunch of. also check for dude's dad, anthony mann, who directed a bunch of westerns and a few film noirs which are also very good.

• What season is better, 1 or 2?
    Go with 2.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    a couple i just watched recently

chopper[/b]
    story about some hardcore dude thats in jail. loosely based on some english guy's life. gory in some parts but i enjoyed it.

dog day afternoon[/b]
    cant believe i hadnt seen this sooner. real good movie.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

dog day afternoon[/b]
    cant believe i hadnt seen this sooner. real good movie.

Great movie. Anyone peep the young Lance Henrickson up in that piece?

marathon man.

he really didn't get what he deserved at the end - but what a great movie.

• Is it safe?

dentist visits have never been the same since i saw this

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I watched One Nite in Mong Kok recently, so that's one that comes to mind. Really surprised me because most hk flicks nowadays are rubbish. Great cinematography and pacing.

dustin hoffman hasn't been the same either. his whole straight time, midnight cowboy, dog day afternoon, marathon man, kramer vs kramer era was so amazing

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    marathon man.

he really didn't get what he deserved at the end - but what a great movie.

One of my favorite of all time. The book was great too, and I finished in like 4 hours.

• battle royal

drugstore cowboy

hard eight

that's just for starters.....

hard eight

great movie. only thing in which gwenyth paltrow has been tolerable.