Floss the Signature Record in Your Collection

Comments

• I gotta have a big un and a little one, couldnt do just one...

big un

(I tried and tried to get a pic of this with out the flash blast, but I live in a dank below ground level warehouse thingy and ya need a flash) anyway...its Achim Reichel and Machines "Echo", I picked it because it was one of the first actual "raers" I hunted for..for fuggin ever...only saw one at the Austin Convention once for like $275, much more than I wanted to pay...but as the years went on, I said "fugg it, if I see it , I am buying it, no matter the price". Then about 5 years ago I found this pristine copy at Recycled Books and Records in Denton for about $250 cheaper than the last one I saw. This is super deep krautrock/psych...rlentlessly psychedelic from start to finish. Still dont even know if it ever was reissued on CD. Awesome LP.

lil un

just a kick ass funky soul 45, supa raer, local...the shit you are looking for when you are into soul 45s. Also, had to rep the hometown with a signature piece.

• I was fucking to Al Salamm before you were born
    lol!

• ok, another pyramid here ..

Quincy Conserve sits atop as thee signature record - why, well it was one of the first solid NZ pieces I copped, the bands first album, numerous burners including 'ride the rain' and somebody stole my thunder', and one like bruno lawerence on the drums (he left the group soon after this was recorded) .. he was one of the more lively and wild characters in the entire country for many years, not to mention the one of the best drummers too. I've since picked up a few other bits with him on the skins

next theres Augustus' 'This is', sure Kl finds records like this every day, and envious am I, for me tho this is worth flossing on its own merits .. early augustus from randys with clive at the boards, copped it off a guy in notting hill's westbourne grove a few years back who reckoned he'd picked it up in NY in 74 .. might have been just another tale, but I was sold on sight so the tales a bonus

finally austalia had to get on in there somehow as thats where I've been living for the past 8 and half years .. this is a signature one in that its got some of that intoxicating strange goodness and happens to be an obscure australian high school joint .. pulled from one of my favourite thrifts, the cover of zawinal's 'birdland' is what its all about .. and yep, it edged the arena

• Damn that reminds me.

DEFINITELY a signature record in the collection.

The cock: pulled this six or seven years ago out of TSL's bargain bin for $3. Of course, the record isn't mint but it's as clean a copy as I've seen and that includes copies priced well north of $100.

The talk: When I got this, of course "The Look Of Love" was the killer cause it was the groovy moody loops that I was digging at the time. As I discovered the record further though I realized it was so much more. We ran "Land Of 1000 Dances" on the "Packed Jams" cut-n-paste that ran on this site a while back... the screaming of the crowd on the track is just incredible. Bomb Squad level noise. I read somewhere that nobody did the "naaaa na na na naaa na na na naaa na na naa na na naaa" before Thee Midnighters, and Wilson Picket took it from them. Dude sounds like he's having a coniption, but according to the article he had forgotten the lyric and was just winging it. The rest is history. But it took me until this year (and intervention of Soulrez RIP) to discover "That's All" - a perennial lowrider favorite that graces the now-in-production Impalaville mix.

• Bomb Squad level noise.

Bomb Squad level noise.

Bomb Squad level noise.

Bomb Squad level noise.

Bomb Squad level noise.

YES!

my copy of giants was south of $100, but not by much. still worth every penny.

if you haven't heard their version of tighten up, i should be able to sort you out at some point

• I bought a cool notes record without any knowledge of the group, not the most raer of the raer, but i love the fact that it was a randomn raer score that i love so much that it never leaves my crate

i hear this is supposed to be raer, copped it for $1 in the neighborhood:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    All the supre raer funk and jazz in this list cannot fuck with this record in my book. Bow Down fuckos...

• OK, this is one that i'm quite proud of - one of the Golding Institute's highly sought after 7inchers, released in very limited numbers.

Their stated mission is "to provide subscribers worldwide with a safe audio ticket into some of the most enduring aural mysteries of our time".

I've MP3d side 1 which contains fascinating authentic field recordings from Honolulu, Seoul, and Indonesia.

(For the beatheads, the intro is actually quite funky).

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'd been waiting for your entry.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

(For the beatheads, the intro is actually quite funky).

DEAR GOD IT IS FUNKY!!!

• I'd been waiting for your entry.

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite uses of the *PASUE* graemlin.

Great job, Rey!!!

Herm

• the now-in-production Impalaville mix.

Hey, thanks for reminding me! I gotta add this to the Floss Your Imaginary Records CD's thread!!!

• Due to popular demand, here's side 2, featuring:

Singapore
    LAX
    Auckland,NZ
    Brisbane, Aus.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1J2JSZW5FG8EH3EEG4XA3UVS6B

• Chuck Jackson - Through All Times, 1973 ABC

This record is just too freakin dope. I don't think its too rare, maybe a $30 piece? but jease, it is hands down musically the best soul album I own. The production is great, almost sounds Barry White-ish at times. There are real soulful tunes, some funky stuff, the requiste drum break and tons of drama and moody stuff. I am really in love with this record. If you are a 70's soul cat this is the joint.

I have yet to find a record this good all the way through. I know he has some early 50's and 60's joints but does anyone know if hes got other 70's albums?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Chuck Jackson - Through All Times, 1973 ABC

I have yet to find a record this good all the way through. I know he has some early 50's and 60's joints but does anyone know if hes got other 70's albums?

I believe it's the same Chuck Jackson that put out an LP on All Platinum in the late seventies... which has exactly one good cut ("Shine, Shine, Shine") and is otherwise unlistenable.

• OK, this is one that i'm quite proud of - one of the Golding Institute's highly sought after 7inchers, released in very limited numbers.

This is the greatest album ever. What's the story behind these? Is it just humour?

• Indonesia is the best! What could be funnier than that nasal voice saying 'nasi goreng'? Too much!

• All the supre raer funk and jazz in this list cannot fuck with this record in my book. Bow Down fuckos...

yes. killer. But the OG of this is a casette.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Chose this because of value. My runner-up is this icelandic folk record because it's the most boring record that's worth some money out of the ones I own.

This is the greatest album ever. What's the story behind these? Is it just humour?
    There were three records in the series, all on Planet Pimp : http://www.markprindle.com/golding.htm

I've got the "sounds of san francisco adult bookstores" one - it comes with a free tissue.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ha. i remember that dude.

• All the supre raer funk and jazz in this list cannot fuck with this record in my book. Bow Down fuckos...

yes. killer. But the OG of this is a casette.

Frank - apparently dude who took the picture on that record was the real weird and awkward projectionist at visions that would sit at the bar and talk to people for a long time but not say much

I have that live at CBGBs 79 video...HR looks like a little kid... his doing a backflip and landing right when the song ends is

• here's mine at the moment...

solid funk under one of the poets of rhythm's many aliases.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    My absolute favorite 45, lp, Cd, and 78

45: Della Humphrey -- Don't Make the Good Girls Go Bad

Pretty much the reason I collect in the first place. Amazing song. The B-side is great too.

LP: Mary Lou Williams -- Black Christ of the Andes

Amazing Jazz, Blues, Gospel record that along with coffee, is a perfect compliment to any morning

CD: Sun Ra -- Singles

His early doo wop material that melts my face everytime.

78: J.B. Lenoir -- How Can I Leave

A JOB recording that sparked my blues 78 passion

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Okay this is weak compared to a lot of y'alls, and about as far from obscure as you can get, but it's still my favorite. I found this at Everybody's in Cincinnati a few years ago for $30. Original mono pressing, everything was absolutely flawless, even included the original rice paper inner sleeve. I was dead broke. So I asked them to hold it for me, went home and grabbed a stack of shitty CDs, sold them to 'em for like $40 in trade, and was like "yeah I've got a record on hold". The owner looked kinda pissed but whatever. I love this LP.

• 78: J.B. Lenoir -- How Can I Leave

A JOB recording that sparked my blues 78 passion

MP3 it if you have the means. Would like to hear...

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I made a mixed cd with it recently. I'll try to find that and post it as soon as possible.

• I don't think that's a fair assessment of Stereolab. They're as much Carol Kane as they are 60s space bachelor pad grooves as they are Neu

btw, peep Rusty B's new SACRIFORCED#8 track

i think that's dependent on having never heard Neu!... after which stereolab just come off as the most unoriginal biters of all time.