Floss the Signature Record in Your Collection

Comments

• heres me flossing with my next major aquisition

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the pyramid reconfigures a lot, the top record doesn't stay on top for too long. though, i am very fond of my Stereolab w/ Nurse With Wound Simple Headphone Mind 12"

Let me get one.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I need 3 records on top of my pyramid. I don't have anything that's killer rare, or much of a history even, but there are music and memories that mean a lot to me.

The top one is sentimental. My first time to Detroit, a young Castillo had just turned 21, and saw Marcus Belgrave perform Space Oddyssey live, got some drink later on and listened to some killer funk 45s. It was a memorable experience for me. Aser was there, but he was a stranger at that point. Didn't get the chance to do any digging that weekend, but that's ok.

On my 2nd trip to Detroit, I find his record at the first store to really blow my mind. And there is something quite indescribable about Detroit. It is a very interesting place to me. On top of all this, Space Oddyssey is repeating in my mind. Anyhow, all 5 elements of this equation left me in a peaceful state for the entire trip home.

-------------------------

The bottom one is just simply my shit. It is the wormhole that brings me directly into my private mind garden. There are few things that I fiend to listen to as much as this, as strange as it may sound.

-------------------------

And then the middle one--the token acetate. Ramsey Lewis - Do What You Wanna. Being a Chicagoan having an unusual Cadet fetish, I must represent. This was Ramsey's funkiest 45, and is a solid, feel good tune, and quite an appropriate ambassador of Chicago and Cadet in my ears.

--------------------------

I would throw Food - Forever is a Dream into my tops as well, but I'm pretty much sonned by Thes's acetate. The group is from my backyard, and it is one of my favorite records to roam around IL to in my car. I've listened to it endless times on repeat.

Now that's what the fuck I'm talking about. More talk, less cock. I may have a different idea of what "signature record" means, but with a few exceptions, dudes in this thread seem to have curiously similar ways of being themselves. Flossing personally elusive pieces is what it is, and there's nothing manifestly wrong with considering some widely known, widely sought-after piece of wallpaper your "signature record," but I'd be interested to hear why you like it--why you consider it yours, what lifts it above the rest of the shit that we buy because we think we're supposed to buy it. Because without having some kind of personal basis, you're really just rubbing the rhubarb of the man who scratches the back of the man who shakes the hand of the man who shakes the tree from which falls the seed of "your" taste, i.e.
    the taste of every other wetmouth in the game trolling eBay for raers.

Just playing

• There is something about Detroit for me as well. This record has a distinct sound that I havn't yet found anywhere else. It's so mudded that you can't really even hear the drums, but you can feel them inside the music. Not one poor track on it either. The story about the cover is pretty interesting as well. I'm pretty sure I will never get rid of this.

Let me get one.

I want to hollur at that (yeh, like I could afford it...)

SG

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Now that's what the fuck I'm talking about. More talk, less cock. I may have a different idea of what "signature record" means, but with a few exceptions, dudes in this thread seem to have curiously similar ways of being themselves. Flossing personally elusive pieces is what it is, and there's nothing manifestly wrong with considering some widely known, widely sought-after piece of wallpaper your "signature record," but I'd be interested to hear why you like it--why you consider it yours, what lifts it above the rest of the shit that we buy because we think we're supposed to buy it. Because without having some kind of personal basis, you're really just rubbing the rhubarb of the man who scratches the back of the man who shakes the hand of the man who shakes the tree from which falls the seed of "your" taste, i.e.

OK. you are right. as usual.

I love that stereolab/nurse with wound 12" for both sentimental and musical reasons.

it was given to me by an ex who is now dead, he turned me on to a shitload of amazing electronic music. music that might be in a techno suit, but for all intents and purposes, has an analog heart. we would constantly trade records - i would give him a pile of rap and jazz records i loved for his pile of techno and krautrock. our last trade was never switched back because he passed away.

this particular record is most defintely headphone music and it is a mindfuck of pulsing mindmelting soundscapes. with enough hash, it will feel like your brain is dripping out of your ears and your heart has slowed down to five beats per minute by the time you reach the end of the song.

Let me get one.

I want to hollur at that (yeh, like I could afford it...)

SG
    Shit...I was talkin' bout getting one for free!!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the pyramid reconfigures a lot, the top record doesn't stay on top for too long. though, i am very fond of my Stereolab w/ Nurse With Wound Simple Headphone Mind 12"
    some of those stereolab records are hard as hell to find. those tour 45's go for sum dough.

• some of those stereolab records are hard as hell to find. those tour 45's go for sum dough.

why? they all sound exactly the same

• In all seriousness, this would top my pyramid.

Those messages are for me from the writer and composer.

Funk Jam session.

Here's why I choose this to top my pyramid:

1-This was the first obscure local 45 I ever found (as far as I know, this is the only known copy)

2-Post digging up this single, I questioned what I thought I knew about how many local groups had really cut records and what my quest should be. I seriously veered from the path I had been on and began focusing my attention on tracking down local music.

3-This was the first local funk group I was able to track down. Actually traveling to the homes of the artists was otherworldly, and the time I've spent with them can't be valued with a price tag.

4-The song is on point and very original; I can never get enough of funky jam sessions anyways.

So there's me explaining the "why"

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    In all seriousness, this would top my pyramid.

Funk Jam session.

1-This was the first obscure local 45 I ever found (as far as I know, this is the only known copy)

2-Post digging up this single, I questioned what I thought I knew about how many local groups had really cut records and what my quest should be. I seriously veered from the path I had been on and began focusing my attention on tracking down local music.

3-This was the first local funk group I was able to track down. Actually traveling to the homes of the artists was otherworldly, and the time I've spent with them can't be valued with a price tag.

4-The song is on point and very original; I can never get enough of funky jam sessions anyways.

i love this record... thanks man for playing this shit to me back then... its super dope that you got them to sign the 45 sleeve.

• In all seriousness, this would top my pyramid.

Funk Jam session.

i love this record... thanks man for playing this shit to me back then... its super dope that you got them to sign the 45 sleeve.

No man, thank YOU for your time and patience with me when we were discussing local DC material.........BTW I found one of those Aggressions recently, but still have yet to track down the other one you had on the same label.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

No man, thank YOU for your time and patience with me when we were discussing local DC material.........BTW I found one of those Aggressions recently, but still have yet to track down the other one you had on the same label.

i promise you that next week i will go to my old bosses house and take some pictures of those records for you. ill try and find that CD that i recorded as well... its wack that i dont know where that shit is.

yo ill be out there in the winter, like last two weeks of Dec to the first week of Jan. if youre around maybe ill drive on down there for a day or two to chill. maybe i can drag jonnycuddles away from the record store too!

Let me sneeze on one.

• Instructional heat...

• some of those stereolab records are hard as hell to find. those tour 45's go for sum dough.

Yeah, just like all funk and soul records.
    Best Stereolab? Jenny Ondioline.

Yeah, just like all funk and soul records.

i know thats why i listen to jazz

• not raer but better than most raers, beautiful record

Ignant talk, we're keeping you back a grade.

• Instructional heat...

Can you post audio? Instructional/spoken word madness is where it's at.

• sixtoo, that faust shit is !

breakself put me onto that during his college radio days...wow.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'd say my signature record is probably some random rap or project blowed thing that only like a half dozen people here care about that i've still flossed incessantly around here. or it's a common soul one that i listen to (word to hcrunk).

signature record:

and that's not even a joke either. honestly, unironically one of my favorite songs of all time. in my short lived dj career me and my then roommates had a shorter lived obsession with billy ocean. so whenever i'd spin out this record would get some burn no matter what the crowd or scenario. i don't think i've ever spun records in public and not played this out. i wish i could find my pic cover copy. what you know about the seven special dub remix?

and as far as signature records go. (which is what i initially thought this thread was about before i read the whole thing, and i already had this post made up):

now don't get me wrong, i've met my share of rappers, some great, many awful. but never did i get a case groupie superstar stammer as i did when meeting chuck d. and he was perhaps the most cordial but i was starstruck no joke. i could barely spit out a word. great speaker too, it's a shame the "former rapper" stigma prevents him from ever being embraced as an actual leader. i could only imagine if dude was born 10-20 years earlier. you can't really see it but that's a drawing of the cross hairs logo on there

bonus beat.

i recently pulled this one out i forgot i had out and thought it was funny (from back in my idm days. i designed these italian dudes (automia divsion, also put out some records rephlex as d'arcangelo) website a long time ago and they sent me a bunch of records including this signed raer:

too bad it's some barely above average aphex twin imitation shit, and i've since traded away most of my barely above average aphex imitation shit but how could i possibly get rid of a record that you can't find anywhere?

keep the signature joints coming, leave the wall pieces at home. i mean "wall pieces" are wall pieces, i can type rare funk into popsike and have the same experience.

• Cocaine Blunts on the yacht?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    and you know this

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    if you had to build a pyramid with your records

• if you had to build a pyramid with your records

why is the motley crue s/t at the bottom? Serious, if I had those albums on vinyl rather than some played to death cassettes, I would have posted a different 3 records.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    if you had to build a pyramid with your records

why is the motley crue s/t at the bottom? Serious, if I had those albums on vinyl rather than some played to death cassettes, I would have posted a different 3 records.

It's not the "Leathur" press.

• if you had to build a pyramid with your records

It's not the "Lethur" press.

...too fast for love...

• The more I listen, the more I scare myself by how much I like it.