Pitchfork discusses new rapper RAWKAN

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited March 2005 in Strut Central
stole this bit from okpluurr.http://pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-03-29.shtml#song3I>Joe Budden, B>Rawkan/B>, Oschino,Sparks, and Peedi Crack: "Triumph Remix"genre: hip-hopOn 1997's Wu-Tang Forever, "Triumph" was our last chance to hear the fully assembled Wu-Tang Clan, all nine members plus Cappadonna, absolutely wrecking an eerie, swirling RZA banger. Every last Wu member brought ridiculous fire to "Triumph"; the track marks the last moment when it seemed like the Clan ran hip-hop before it splintered into a million underwhelming solo projects and petty feuds.Roc-A-Fella Records was the undisputable number-one brand in rap a couple of years ago. But now that Jay's left the studio for the front office and Damon Dash has announced vague plans to start his own label called Roc-4-Life, many of the label's supporting players face uncertain futures. So when a motley collection of former Roc D-teamers assemble to reassure us that they still run shit, it's impossible not to catch flashbacks of Wu-Tang's sad dissolution. Except that none of these guys have anything like the knife-edge gravity that the Wu had in 1997. Joe Budden, two years removed from his one hit, warns us: "Anybody let the milli spray by us/ Could get a ache in your heart like Billy Ray Cyrus". B>Rawkan, who I've never even heard of/B>, says something about slashing the Vatican. Oschino (or Sparks?) lets us know that he's "trying to m??nage with Serena and Venus". The whole exercise remains sad and pointless until the end of the track when Peedi Crack's anarchic Bugs Bunny flow rolls through and saves the day. If Dash ever manages to get Roc-4-Life off the ground, he needs to build it around this guy. [Tom Breihan] /I>for those unaware, B>RAEKWON/B> appears on this song.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fuck them douches

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    fuck them douches

i take it the computer hasnt shown up yet?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I>Oschino (or Sparks?) lets us know that he's "trying to m??nage with Serena and Venus".
    /I>

it should also be noted that neither oschino nor sparks spit this line, but young chris.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    oh man the irony....looks like the wu-tang parallel sorta back fired on those foools

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    oh man the irony....looks like the wu-tang parallel sorta back fired on those foools

odds are this guy was at a pavement concert when 'forever' came out.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    haha, nah i got my stuff but i just hate pitchfork

• odds are this guy was at an aerosmith concert when 'forever' came out.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Pitchfork is fun to read... I mean, it's a website run by hipster indie rawk fans, but they have to review hiphop so they can seem somewhat relevant, but most of their hiphop reviews are just so far off the mark it's hilarious. Of course, I think pretty much ALL their reviews, regardless of genre, are off the mark and the work of pretentious indie snobs, but hey. Generally (but not always) I'll check out their ratings for albums and any album that gets a really really high rating I'll make sure to steer clear of.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Peedi Crack's archaic [/b] Bugs Bunny flow

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    stole this bit from okpluurr.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-03-29.shtml#song3

I>Joe Budden, B>Rawkan/B>, Oschino,
    Sparks, and Peedi Crack: "Triumph Remix"
    genre: hip-hop

On 1997's Wu-Tang Forever, "Triumph" was our last chance to hear the fully assembled Wu-Tang Clan, all nine members plus Cappadonna, absolutely wrecking an eerie, swirling RZA banger. Every last Wu member brought ridiculous fire to "Triumph"; the track marks the last moment when it seemed like the Clan ran hip-hop before it splintered into a million underwhelming solo projects and petty feuds.

Roc-A-Fella Records was the undisputable number-one brand in rap a couple of years ago. But now that Jay's left the studio for the front office and Damon Dash has announced vague plans to start his own label called Roc-4-Life, many of the label's supporting players face uncertain futures. So when a motley collection of former Roc D-teamers assemble to reassure us that they still run shit, it's impossible not to catch flashbacks of Wu-Tang's sad dissolution. Except that none of these guys have anything like the knife-edge gravity that the Wu had in 1997. Joe Budden, two years removed from his one hit, warns us: "Anybody let the milli spray by us/ Could get a ache in your heart like Billy Ray Cyrus". B>Rawkan, who I've never even heard of/B>, says something about slashing the Vatican. Oschino (or Sparks?) lets us know that he's "trying to m??nage with Serena and Venus". The whole exercise remains sad and pointless until the end of the track when Peedi Crack's anarchic Bugs Bunny flow rolls through and saves the day. If Dash ever manages to get Roc-4-Life off the ground, he needs to build it around this guy. [Tom Breihan] /I>

for those unaware, B>RAEKWON/B> appears on this song.

I'm gonna barf.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Pitchfork recently posted a review of Edan's 12" that was so offensive I was about to write an angry letter, I still might. F%&k dem dudes, they don't know shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Pitchfork recently posted a review of Edan's 12" that was so offensive I was about to write an angry letter, I still might. F%&k dem dudes, they don't know shit.

yeah but this young gunz review always cracked me up.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

ehhh... that's exactly the kind of bullshit hipster pandering/ignorance that is wrong with that site.

- ironically intelligent/artistic (dance institute) display from thought to be ignorant thug rappers? check
    - perpetuation of the idea that "gangsta" rap is manufactured by exceutives and done exclusively for the money (more so than any other genre of music)? check
    - name drop of common and mos def? check
    - displaying a knowledge of hip hop limited to the afformentioned artists and the last nas record? check
    - no mention of the actual quality of the music (paging fatback)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Comsidering rap isn't my game, this is pretty good. Or maybe I'm just really bored right now.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    - ironically intelligent/artistic (dance institute) display from thought to be ignorant thug rappers? check

- perpetuation of the idea that "gangsta" rap is manufactured by exceutives and done exclusively for the money (more so than any other genre of music)? check

- displaying a knowledge of hip hop limited to the afformentioned artists and the last nas record? check

scarilly on point as far as everything that site is doing wrong

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

ehhh... that's exactly the kind of bullshit hipster pandering/ignorance that is wrong with that site.

Good indictment

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Very funny stuff

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they actually had someone who was pretty knowledgeable in rap but they fired him

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    but they fired him

fired from writing reviews for free?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think dude said they got paid (not very much) per review but i could be wrong.

• I can't believe I'm jumping into this, but Breihan tends to know his shit, and I have a feeling he knows what Raekwon sounds like. I would wager he maybe received a promo with a misspelled name on it, and thought he'd continue the joke a bit further. Clearly, no one here would have any idea about how uproariously funny misspellings can be.

I have no defense for the Oschino/Sparks/Young Chris misidentification, except to say I could not ID any of those cats on a verse.

If you want to ask dude, he's not hard to find: www.dipdipdive.blogspot.com. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he lurked here too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It would be funny if it wasn't coming from a source that knows nothing about rap music in the first place.

• Don't get me wrong, the 'Fork still bums me out when it comes to rap reviews (I still remember the error-laden, chronology-busted review of Get Rich or Die Tryin). I'm just saying that it's still possible that this might have been an intentional, taking-the-piss sort of goof.

I mean, I HATE PITCHFORK!!! ALL THE TIME!!!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I can't believe I'm jumping into this, but Breihan tends to know his shit, and I have a feeling he knows what Raekwon sounds like. I would wager he maybe received a promo with a misspelled name on it, and thought he'd continue the joke a bit further. Clearly, no one here would have any idea about how uproariously funny misspellings can be.

that's a little far to go for an inside joke, no? although that would be in line with the pitchfork mentality.

i mean, i don't expect anybody to be perfect, far from it, dude made a stupid error, we all have. but i think it's indictive of the pitchfork staff as a whole that someone somewhere down the editing line (not that i expect it to be that intense) wasn't just like "dude... that's raekwon".

i feel like hip hop is such an insular style of music that it's hard to adequtely critique it without having at least some sort of attachment to the culture. and much of the pitchfork staff appear to be outsiders. and this (as well as that young gunz review) is a reflection of that

I have no defense for the Oschino/Sparks/Young Chris misidentification, except to say I could not ID any of those cats on a verse.

but if you're writing about their record why not just fact check and get it right. you can throw on any mixtape where they're solo and compare voices. that takes five minutes. it's not like these guys came out of nowhere (like RAWKAN did), they have substantial enough of backcatalog to figure out who they are.

or was that another joke? that all second string state prop rappers sound alike. if so that could've been articulated better.

If you want to ask dude, he's not hard to find: www.dipdipdive.blogspot.com. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he lurked here too.

i did not know that it was the same tom. in all fairness, i've looked at his blog in the past and he seems to have his head on straight. but aligning himself with the knownots at pitchfork and making 'jokes'/errors like this probably isn't doing wonders for his credibility.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Dude, Pitchfork (Rollie Pemberton to be exact, who no longer works for them to be fair, but still) said this: "'Dipset (Santana's Town)' is-- and this is no exaggeration-- the worst song of the year."

Ever since then, I realized, they are all stupid.

-e