Canadians .....funky ?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

CKLN vs CHRY sunday nights!

please elaborate - i had a radio show on CHRY on sunday nights.

or are you talking about the hardcore shows?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i'd rather see a pic of Mr. Metro representing us.

canadian

mr metro nah nah nah nah nah....hey hey

• Rumble and Stong.
    Red Flame shows at Concert Hall.
    Kig Daddy Kane, MC Lyte and BDP Christmas eve 89.
    Leg 1 and Leg 2
    Inner CIty Zone.
    Club Fokus.
    Hollywood.
    Ruff ass reggae nights in Regent and Cataracks.
    Ron Nelson Circa 89, and his forst 12"
    Pez and Kees 1st Generation TTC Tags.
    "Cheeks" selling Troop Goose 3/4s out the back of a Jeep Cherokee behing Hillcrest mall.
    UTs fashion sense (Club Monaco Stripes and Skully NYs with Baby Blue Jordans.... Flyest Gang Ever!).
    I miss being a young punk growing up in Toronto.

Does anyone have tapes of those Toronto VS. NY parties? I know I've asked this before.

You need to get back to Toronto, man. Mind you, all that cool stuff you just mentioned is gone, and we're adults now, so it's just not the same.

That first Ron Nelson record's pretty weak, but a nice novelty.

Pez and Kees 1st Generation TTC Tags

I totally forgot about this, right up until now. I remember being a kid on the TTC and seeing a handful of the same names tagged around town.

Bring back New York Connections and Dundas Flea Market!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    wow hillcrest mall.......haha wow

I live in ze area.

hearing old club names crack me up for some reason, club fokus, spectrum etc

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i'd rather see a pic of Mr. Metro representing us.

canadian

mr metro nah nah nah nah nah....hey hey

I ain't no drug dealer
    I don't wear no beeper
    I ain't no informer
    No disrespect on ya

Hey, Hey, Mr. Metro,
    Cooool Down!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    oh and who's got the b-kool tape or cold front comp

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I heart this thread. It is deemed uber RADD.

diego, theresa ronchon, michael williams, steve anthony, oliver, erica ehm, monika deol, ziggy...what are you doing now?

• wow hillcrest mall.......haha wow

I live in ze area.

hearing old club names crack me up for some reason, club fokus, spectrum etc

I lived around the corner from Spectrum, too bad I was too young to get up in the joint.

Does anyone remember Carnival records??? I skipped school to pick up Maestro's debut album, or in my case a cassette the day that it dropped.

-----------
    Edit Dat DeejaY

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I knew a few canadians and they are really fonky, if fonky means being very cool and gentle people.

Peace

• wyzewayz but i'm not sure he posts on here too much. but a mix he sent me was fonky.

by the way, I liked your fusion mix too Dave, I think the Tarika Blue was the only joint I reconized, but good for sunday mornings and reading mix, poifect.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    mylatency is canknucklehead

nope

no

no sir

Edit reason: Names have been changed to protect the innocent, LOL.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

nope

Why the nope under Bonnie Dobson? That's a dope album!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I got Cold Front on wax.

Let Quebec get some shine - who here remembers Movement Rap Francophone?

"Bouger! Danser! MLF est arriv??!"

• oh and who's got the b-kool tape or cold front comp

I've got a fifth generation dub of that Cold Front comp. Fatski's the only person I know that has it on vinyl. B-Kool? Damn... I saw Split Personality's cd in some random used book/cd store a while back. I just remember the video was them running through some high school halls. I'm sure it consisted of more, but that's all I remember.

Now who's got an extra copy of 'EZ on the Motion' for me?

Where are the Ebony MC's of today I say.

hahah who were those guys with the song "le rapper chic...uh huh uh huh" horrid! oh they were called le boyfriend or somethin...remember mitsou...damn memories.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Am I crazy or was there bomber jackets made by some dudes in T.O who called themselves "2 Black Guys".

h

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've been away and I come back and see a great post like this...

I'm working on ripping an old Ron Nelson tape I have. From when DJ Cheese was first here... The intro starts off with "Warning, the mix you are about to hear, is so damn fresh, it may blow your mind!" Beat drops... Cheese cuts up platinum blonde CRYYIN' I know lots of people have the concert version.. but I love the radio show one... It's also got a wicked beat box mix on it. It's the only tape I have left (I had about 60-70 shows from around 87ish to 92, but some gurl stole my collection awhile back.

Anyways... Everybody always wants the ol concert hall US vs Canada battle. I know, someone on the board is working out a deal or something to get his hands on this video footage. If he ever does... It will be game over IMO.

I was there that night... I was around 14 I believe. But I came right at the end of the night and missed almost everything.

Interesting bit of trivia...

Any canadian house people?? Peter, from PTS/Peter&Tyrone/83 West was a big hip hop DJ back in the day and battled at that concert. HAHA... Lawd have mercy!

Damn.. There's no pics of Mr. Metro on the net?? Very sad...

Old school Toronto people... Big Up PEK

• Am I crazy or was there bomber jackets made by some dudes in T.O who called themselves "2 Black Guys".

h

As worn by Redman. They're still around doing clothes (!). I can't front. I used to have a t-shirt from there. Again, thank you Dundas Flea Market.

Am I crazy or was there bomber jackets made by some dudes in T.O who called themselves "2 Black Guys".

h

As worn by Redman. They're still around doing clothes (!). I can't front. I used to have a t-shirt from there. Again, thank you Dundas Flea Market.

2Pac wearing the 100 mile sweaters in Above the rim?

Most asked for Canadian hip hop 12" from Americans...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

h

one of them passed away a few years ago if I recall correctly.

maybe I should've heatrocked the classic mary j blige real love video too black guys vest.

did anyone here cop a 100 miles baseball jersey.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

the japaneezy set seems to go ga ga for the Grassroots feat. Elemental "Drama" 12"

I liked the version he recorded for mastermind's street jam, w/ new lyrics.

the japaneezy set seems to go ga ga for the Grassroots feat. Elemental "Drama" 12"

No doubt...

I remember when Serious came back from Japan he had video footage of that 12". Was going for around 80-100 bucks.

The 12" I always wanted more copies of was Franks 12" (Frankenstein's Pain). That first record was one of the baddest T.Dot 12"'s IMO.

Anyone got that on MP3 for me?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

No doubt...

I remember when Serious came back from Japan he had video footage of that 12". Was going for around 80-100 bucks.

The 12" I always wanted more copies of was Franks 12" Frankenstein Pain. That first 12" was one of the baddest T.Dot 12"'s...

I would've liked a copy of black tie affair on wax - seldom see that today.

I would've liked a copy of black tie affair on wax - seldom see that today.

There are some (I think 2 12"s and one LP) Maestro records that go for some $$$ dollars...

Rumble and Stong.
    Red Flame shows at Concert Hall.
    Kig Daddy Kane, MC Lyte and BDP Christmas eve 89.
    Leg 1 and Leg 2
    Inner CIty Zone.
    Club Fokus.
    Hollywood.
    Ruff ass reggae nights in Regent and Cataracks.
    Ron Nelson Circa 89, and his forst 12"
    Pez and Kees 1st Generation TTC Tags.
    "Cheeks" selling Troop Goose 3/4s out the back of a Jeep Cherokee behing Hillcrest mall.
    UTs fashion sense (Club Monaco Stripes and Skully NYs with Baby Blue Jordans.... Flyest Gang Ever!).
    I miss being a young punk growing up in Toronto.

Wow... Nice list...

UT's? Untouchables??? Damn, that gang was everywhere.

• Now who's got an extra copy of 'EZ on the Motion' for me?

No doubt...

The 12" I always wanted more copies of was Franks 12" (Frankenstein's Pain). That first record was one of the baddest T.Dot 12"'s IMO.

That first Frank single, along with the NY Remixed (I think that was the name of it) goes for some loot from my understanding. Dope records that look very unassuming. He needs to drop some new stuff. I assume he's doing mostly production nowadays. I see his name pop up in credits now and then.

Anything Grassroots affliated seems to be hot property in Japan. Good taste. I remember people sleeping on that record for so long.

• Now who's got an extra copy of 'EZ on the Motion' for me?

I got 4 of em I think. I had multiple copies of "drama" too. Pee got Cannuck Classics.