Canadians .....funky ?

Comments

• could do for sure...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Old school Toronto people... Big Up PEK

Likewise DOR... Respect seen...

6-2: I think the cat you're thinking of who spun @ CHRY w/ Paul hosting was Howie Dee from the Chic Sound Crew, the only outfit who really challenged (to a point) Brother 'D'(ifferent), JC and the Soundshine Sound Crew back in the day... Saw Howie boarding the bus one time @ Finch station heading to the York campus, lugging like 3 record bags weighted down... Last time I saw Paul/Mastermind before he headed to Calgary was when he was @ Energy 108 (Jasper - 'Lil Jaz was there @ the station as well promoting a gig - this was BNF tho': before Nelly Furtado )... I can't recall right now Ron's early radio partner - I think a guy of Italian heritage who dropped off around '85/'86...

Original record stores: Mello Music (out in Scarborough), Carnival (Kamal), and Starsounds (from which I was barred for a minute 'cause I got along w/ Kamal @ Carnival - some real psycho pettiness going on there)... Some hair products stores on Eglinton West stocking 12" singles as well...

Went to the same high school as (Andrew) Kish(ino) - summer of '85, back from Philadelphia sporting original Adidas shell toes, Kish stops me in the hall asking me where I'd copped 'em from... Jokes... Ian Steaman, he of former Tommy Boy A&R fame as well as the blog '...Different Kitchen' - same high school also - him a mod wearing a parka emblazoned w/ the RAF roundel on the back and me making tapes for him w/ stuff like Strafe's 'Set It Off' and Hashim - next time I see him, he's got a year left @ Harvard and then working @ A&A's next to Sam's, then Monica Lynch et al...

• I LOVE CANADIANS!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Old school Toronto people... Big Up PEK

Likewise DOR... Respect seen...

6-2: I think the cat you're thinking of who spun @ CHRY w/ Paul hosting was Howie Dee from the Chic Sound Crew, the only outfit who really challenged (to a point) Brother 'D'(ifferent), JC and the Soundshine Sound Crew back in the day... Saw Howie boarding the bus one time @ Finch station heading to the York campus, lugging like 3 record bags weighted down... Last time I saw Paul/Mastermind before he headed to Calgary was when he was @ Energy 108 (Jasper - 'Lil Jaz was there @ the station as well promoting a gig - this was BNF tho': before Nelly Furtado )... I can't recall right now Ron's early radio partner - I think a guy of Italian heritage who dropped off around '85/'86...

Original record stores: Mello Music (out in Scarborough), Carnival (Kamal), and Starsounds (from which I was barred for a minute 'cause I got along w/ Kamal @ Carnival - some real psycho pettiness going on there)... Some hair products stores on Eglinton West stocking 12" singles as well...

Went to the same high school @ (Andrew) Kish(ino) - summer of '85, back from Philadelphia sporting original Adidas shell toes, Kish stops me in the hall asking me where I'd copped 'em from... Jokes...

SSC & Maceo for soundclashes!!!

I just talked to Paul. Him, wifey & the kids are doing well. But I'd like to see him back here some day. We use to goto NYC alot. He introduced me to so many people. I owe him alot.

Damn, Mello... I haven't thought about that place in yeaaarrrrssss. Carnival was wicked.. That feeling of going up the stairs and walking in!

PEK, who barred you from Starsound? My aunt & uncle use to own that place. They never had a problem with me shopping at Carnival...

• PEK: indeed
    Howie Dee was the man back then.
    I occasionally caught him at some live spots as well, and think he lived around Finch area because he was always seeming to play parties when I first started to go to spots. (I'm 31 so you can do the math).
    Last one for the night!

ALL NIGHT KUNG FU CINEMA. 2 Bones!

I LOVE CANADIANS!

Coo coo coo coo coo....
    Take off to the great white north
    Its a beauty way to go
    Take off to the great white north

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

SSC & Maceo for soundclashes!!!

I just talked to Paul. Him, wifey & the kids are doing well. But I'd like to see him back here some day. We use to goto NYC alot. He introduced me to so many people. I owe him alot.

Damn, Mello... I haven't thought about that place in yeaaarrrrssss. Carnival was wicked.. That feeling of going up the stairs and walking in!

PEK, who barred you from Starsound? My aunt & uncle use to own that place. They never had a problem with me shopping at Carnival...

I can't recall who exactly banned me for that brief period - it was around '85 or so - I think the competition b/w the 2 stores was pretty intense @ that point and Kamal was asking me to screen his product list from distributors to see if there were titles to be ordered - one of the guys working there who went to Garneau high school told me on the side that I ought to stay away for a while... Back in the old location of Carnival, I can remember 2 times when Lennox Lewis stopped by to hang out from Kitchener...

Someone should resurrect an old school blocko just for effect; I heard Paul was back in Toronto for a visit recently - Rick ('Ski) or Rona may have mentioned it in passing; I hear he's doing well out west although the market may be smaller than what he's used to...

6-2: Howie did live in around the Finch area from what I remember - he was one of the OG DJs who was constantly on the grind...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like Don Cherry. Is he fonky?

I get the feeling if I lived in Canada I would hate him, though.

Back in the old location of Carnival

You mean when it was downstairs right? I can't even remember for some reason. But I can remember going upstairs for the first time...

Yeah, Paul was here 2 months ago. Short visit and I didn't get a chance to meet up with him.

Does anyone see X anymore? If they do, tell Adrien I've been tryin' to get ahold of him. I haven't seen him since Traxx closed down.

Thx,
    Billy

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I like Don Cherry. Is he fonky?

I get the feeling if I lived in Canada I would hate him, though.

Anytime I speak to friends in Ann Arbor or the D who watched/watches hockey and had/has access to the CBC channel loves him...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Back in the old location of Carnival

You mean when it was downstairs right? I can't even remember for some reason. But I can remember going upstairs for the first time...

It had 2 locations - both upstairs - the first was a narrow cramped space that pretty much could only accommodate 2 people @ a time width-wise... The other locale opened just before I headed down south for school so I didn't really spend much time there...

Does anyone see X anymore? If they do, tell Adrien I've been tryin' to get ahold of him. I haven't seen him since Traxx closed down.

Last I know is that he was working @ SOCAN - I don't know if he's still there tho' - best to ask someone who knows the personnel there...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I fukin love this thread. Five stars, plaese. A view into the private mindgarden of Canuck hip hop, oh my.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I LOVE CANADIANS!

i want this imagery engraved in my tombstone....i'm all about eugene ''''levy from count dracula movie reviews to when he was a news reporter....thats way back before the american pie steez

• Sorry, been lurking for a while. This Toronto thread has got me all nostalgic. Who remembers the Twilight Zone? Canadians got to be funky...that's how we keep warm in thje winter...extra funkiness.
    Man, I think this is only my second post. Oh well, gotta start sometime!
    I know a bunch of ya, you probably seen me around. Professional lurker, but a funky Canadian lurker.....

• Options

Original record stores: Mello Music (out in Scarborough).

Save for old-school Monica's, this was one of the best record stores EVAR. Yeah, R*b, I have numerous records on Monica's or subsidiary labels (maybe 40+ LP's and about 100 45's - dub, roots, soul and disco mainly). I remmeber her husband, George, telling me he spent some time in jail for bootlegging - didn't tell what for, though. It ain't hard to tell. Cool people - even been over to their house for dinner.
    Bought a lot of their soundsystem with a friend of mine. Geoerge told me that quite few pieces were built by their friend Osbourne in Jamaica...and for thoe who don't know when George says Osbourne., Osboure=Osbourne Ruddock=King Tubby.

The quality and quantity of records they moved is

Still looking for the Dope State jackets, K*v.

K in Scarborough (Kingston/Markham/Eglinton).

soufriere1

DOR

Nothing I ever wanted more, than one of those Dope State Jackets...

I knew I wasn't the only one!

silvertone

When I was a kid I use to goto a theater in Toronto's old Chinatown. Same one???

HDV
    RazorBlayd
    MCJ and Cool G "So, listen to what we say..."
    Krush and Skad
    Top Secret
    Slinky Dee
    Self-Defence

• shhh... and nobody bite my style on this shit (unless y'all already did it), ok?
    i'm out east in october kev. let's do this...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Bought a lot of their soundsystem with a friend of mine. Geoerge told me that quite few pieces were built by their friend Osbourne in Jamaica...and for thoe who don't know when George says Osbourne., Osboure=Osbourne Ruddock=King Tubby.

The quality and quantity of records they moved is

GAME OVAR!!!

Canada sho 'nuff fonky!!!

I heart the great white north!!!!!!!!!! see y'all, soonish?

what is this:

• soufriere1

DOR

Nothing I ever wanted more, than one of those Dope State Jackets...

I knew I wasn't the only one!

silvertone

HDV

HDV dropped an lp under the name H-Bomb about 8 years back. Last time I heard, he was a pimp in LA, down with Kool Kieth. 'Pimp of the Microphone' indeed.

Damn, I'm getting a little teary eyed for the old times (well, I'm only 28, so it still seems fresh to me). I grew up in Mississauga R*b, so it was all about hitting parties in Meadowvale, Streetsville, going north to Brampton (Bramalea stand up!), and then hitting the city for records and mixtapes. I did start to trek out to other areas, but that wasn't really until 91, 92. Man, those were some great days. Does anyone remember the name of the record store in Brampton? Some hard to find (at least for this Lakeview kid) location. For some reason, the name escapes me. I remember going with my friend Tom, and just filling out my Mantronix collection. They had dope records, for stupid cheap. A bunch of old dj's that spun r&b and were selling their old hiphop.

I think everyone wanted those Groove State jackets. So so fresh. Sorta like the PE jacket's but different colours and logos. I remember getting on the bus to go to Byngmount Beach Public School, and this girl with big ass door knockers swinging from her ears was sitting in the back wearing one. That was when I first knew what love was...

Don't keep it a secret! Secret!

Bring back Concert Hall and Live at The BBQ!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ian Steaman, he of former Tommy Boy A&R fame as well as the blog '...Different Kitchen' - same high school also - him a mod wearing a parka emblazoned w/ the RAF roundel on the back and me making tapes for him w/ stuff like Strafe's 'Set It Off' and Hashim - next time I see him, he's got a year left @ Harvard and then working @ A&A's next to Sam's, then Monica Lynch et al...

we worked at A&As together, he's a good friend!

can this world get any smaller?

• Options
    shhh... and nobody bite my style on this shit (unless y'all already did it), ok?
    i'm out east in october kev. let's do this...

You know the number. Try and hip me to the dates as soon as you know. Maybe, I'll wait and investigate the place Maestro ( I still call him Ebony Prince when I see him) said they were made. I think they still do custom athletic gear for hockey/baseball/etc, and it's out my way in Scarborough.

Easy, K.

• Options

what is this:

Shitty french disco, but the girl on the right always got me looking at the cover for a second.

Anyone remember the place?

DJ X always has a table at Aaron Keele's record fair. If you really need to get a hold of them, I'm sure calling Aaron will do the trick.

Easy, Kevin.

• I really dunno if enough time has passed to rock that Dope State style, but still... FERESH!

• Shitty french disco, but the girl on the right always got me looking at the cover for a second.

DJ X always has a table at Aaron Keele's record fair. If you really need to get a hold of them, I'm sure calling Aaron will do the trick.

Easy, Kevin.

WOW! I was too young when this place was around, but I remember hearing about it. Funny enough, this is right in the neighborhood of where I live right now. Dope!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man me and a couple buddies just got lost driving back from scarborough, missed the DVP and almost ended up in brampton

Shitty french disco, but the girl on the right always got me looking at the cover for a second.

Easy, Kevin.

WOW! I was too young when this place was around, but I remember hearing about it. Funny enough, this is right in the neighborhood of where I live right now. Dope!

I live on St. Clarens!

But at College.

Thx for the info Kev.

• Options
    I love their store label design, I was going to make a screen and handscreen a couple T's to give to the lady and a couple of her grandkids (and one for myself of course).

K.

• Options

Easy, Kevin.

It's not here anymore and hasn't been for a minute (like I said above). There was some jaw-dropping stores in that general vicinity, but because people were hesitant to dive into reggae (or realized what type of correlary product they stocked), they slept HARD.

This place was sick (sealed Wackie's and other rare NY roots 12's and Caribbean funk and disco for days...with a hefty dose of indy detroit soul 45's hand-dropped in the mix). Have to laugh at the name...but def not the records..or BJ, he's dude.

K in Scarborough.

• Options
    If you had a store in Toronto, imma find you

The best name EVAR.

Don't laugh. Look what the stamp is on. Mad dope old shoe stock in their basement, too.

K.