Canadians .....funky ?

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

fonky

• This thread is nice!

These days I'm a west-coast connec in Vancouver - but I grew up in the Toronto area.

I used to bug out listenin' to DJ X's Saturday afternoon radio show on 88.1. Plus on Saturdays we'd get together and watch Monika Deol on Electric Circus, and seeing what dope hip-hop act they'd have on. Years later in the mid 90s I was cassette-tape-recording Paul E. Lopes' show on Thursday nights on 89.5.

• missbassie: back in the late 80's and Early 90's the two best hiphop shows were Ron Nelson's and (shit man, can I really not remember the jock....? [one of masterminds homies, or maybe him]) they were killing it with the blends (actually, maybe it was the powermoves show). Anyways, good times. Toronto had a really stong NY connection back then. I miss those days.

• wearing the 100 mile sweaters

100 mile was the shit!! I had the ball hat I was reppin' for years!

They still active? (I remember when they had that store on Yonge near the old Traxx location)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    question[/b]

i think first year of high school, 1993 ish, there was this group from Jane and Finch that had like 2 videos in rotation on much music...who were they? i've been trying to remember for the longest time...it was a trio i think....

ps: remember "check the or"...who would have known tom green was a rapper...in grade 7 everyone was like check the O.R....crazy that he blew up.

ps2: rascalz were big in grade 9 too, "you can't yank the plug on the vibe" is so phucking awesome, everyone needs to hear it, kemo had some good stuff

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    missbassie: back in the late 80's and Early 90's the two best hiphop shows were Ron Nelson's and (shit man, can I really not remember the jock....? [one of masterminds homies, or maybe him]) they were killing it with the blends (actually, maybe it was the powermoves show). Anyways, good times. Toronto had a really stong NY connection back then. I miss those days.

ahhh - sunday afternoons. i thought you were talking about sunday nights!

it was very frustrating when it became a dance music show - a good day-after-partying fixture was gone.

• Damn, this thread has got some real nostalgia poppin.
    I was also at that Canada VS US battle, one of my earliest concerts as well.
    C*lin... did you ever go to any of the parties at the Antica Village (there was a convenience store in between the two Y buildings at Jane and Steels, across from Black Creek Village). Anyways, that housing spot is where I lived as a kid, They used to have some really serious dancehall parties in the convenience store....

Toronto Trivia:
    Who was the really dope dood that sometimes rapped with Maestro, and kinda sounded like K-Solo (not Marvel FOS or K-Skam, but might have been on a posse cut with those guys...). This dood once had a spot on Much (when Micheal Williams was still host)... just him an Maestro, And he was kinda spitting rough, but any curse words he would silence with grabbing a body part...). Dood was dope.

all i know is, i lived in the suburbs amongst many ginos during my highschool years, so my only connection to hip hop (hence some of my amateur questions at times) was 88.1, and 89.5...i'd listen to mastermind like a madman on saturdays..i think it was in the afternoon, exposed me to funkdoobiest and soul assasins and the like, good times...phuck i remeber just setting my cassette deck to record with the 120 minute maxell tapes and then skimming the songs played and what ever i liked i'd record onto another tape ...memories.

give it up for ghetto concept

• Danno, WTF is that from?? bababahhhahaha

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    give it up for ghetto concept

no.

ha ha - just kidding. well kinda.

i had to fight pretty hard to get them booked on a show i worked on - everyone was all "live hip hop looks like shit on tv - no instruments - just a buncha dudes pacing, standing, pacing, standing." i promised it would work, "shoot it tight!" i said. "there will be a DJ - do close-ups on him mixing and scratching. they're lively, they'll move around, they'll look into the camera, they'll have people with them on stage to fill the space. it will work! it will work!" i said. what happens? only the two of them show up with a dat and nothing else. i had made them promise they'd bring a dj and a crew and explained why and they still pulled a half-ass.
    who the fuck knows what they even sounded like? i don't. i was too busy sweating about the next-day glares and never being allowed to book another rap act again.

i've always had a soft spot for point blank though.

• This thing is freaking me out man!
    It looks like it ate Phatt Al (another criminally slept on cat whos name runs back a bit).
    Also, is anyone in the know about what happened to Talis (who used to be in Plains of Facination), That guy was indeed one of my favorite Canadian rappers, and had a huge influence on my outlook on music, even though I only got to kick it with him a few times.

I wish people knew as much about Halifax hiphop in the Early to Mid 90's, Lavertine, Did you ever make it to any of the Cafe Ole/Double Douce/Gottingen St. Haltown Meltdowns?

this thread is THE DEFINITION of why i love the internet...thanks to the original poster ml...

• Toronto Trivia:
    Who was the really dope dood that sometimes rapped with Maestro, and kinda sounded like K-Solo (not Marvel FOS or K-Skam, but might have been on a posse cut with those guys...). This dood once had a spot on Much (when Micheal Williams was still host)... just him an Maestro, And he was kinda spitting rough, but any curse words he would silence with grabbing a body part...). Dood was dope.

K-4CE...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    only the two of them show up with a dat and nothing else. i had made them promise they'd bring a dj and a crew and explained why and they still pulled a half-ass.

half ass canadian rappers NO WAY!!!!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I wish people knew as much about Halifax hiphop in the Early to Mid 90's, Lavertine, Did you ever make it to any of the Cafe Ole/Double Douce/Gottingen St. Haltown Meltdowns?

• K4CE!
    Girls be on my ----- like a ------- in a pr0n0 flik. !
    nice one.... points for you sir!
    We doing some trades soon sir?

• ok, One more quick one, then Im out to peep the new Wong Kar Wai flick.

Monica's Bootleg Tracksuit Selection circa 89!!

(I'm saying man, back then, you could NOT fuck with my steez... JVs, MCMs, Gucci Print Jordan Suits...all Monica's).

K*vin, you got a lot of 7"s on Monica's label?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    cholera
    That first Frank single, along with the NY Remixed (I think that was the name of it) goes for some loot from my understanding. Dope records that look very unassuming. He needs to drop some new stuff. I assume he's doing mostly production nowadays. I see his name pop up in credits now and then.

The last I heard Frank wasn't really doing stuff anymore. Was to busy making "Real World Moves" with his business.

jwiZzAL
    I got 4 of em I think. I had multiple copies of "drama" too. Pee got Cannuck Classics.

Wicked... Now I know where to send people looking for a copy! HA

silvertone
    can I really not remember the jock....? [one of masterminds homies, or maybe him]) they were killing it with the blends

Probably Mastermind or X, denpending on the years. PEK would probably remember who else DJ'd for Ron back then.

d word
    They still active? (I remember when they had that store on Yonge near the old Traxx location)

That location has been gone for years.

silvertone
    Toronto Trivia: Who was the really dope dood that sometimes rapped with Maestro

Nothing I ever wanted more, than one of those Dope State Jackets...

One of the greatest female MC's ever = Michie Mee (Though I never liked any of the rock stuff).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    ok, One more quick one, then Im out to peep the new Wong Kar Wai flick.

Monica's Bootleg Tracksuit Selection circa 89!!

(I'm saying man, back then, you could NOT fuck with my steez... JVs, MCMs, Gucci Print Jordan Suits...all Monica's).

K*vin, you got a lot of 7"s on Monica's label?

"Nooooo store do it like Monica's store" HA... Loved that commercial

Thats one of my good friends Aunties... Use to go there all the time!

One of the greatest female MC's ever = Michie Mee (Though I never liked any of the rock stuff).

lol u ain't feeling raggadeath

ps: what was the rap city intro prior to the one that had beasties' jimmy james, ice cube's wicked, body count's body count and house of pain shamrock and shenanigans butch vig remix?

• This whole thread is

• i think first year of high school, 1993 ish, there was this group from Jane and Finch that had like 2 videos in rotation on much music...who were they? i've been trying to remember for the longest time...it was a trio i think....

OH SHIT -

I know this group - but I don't know the name! They had a video made with camcorders and they were in a train station or an old-style airport I think. Well I just remember in the building they were in there were cement walls with those giant circular holes in the background. (I think that was 70s architecture)

There was one dude of the three that had a squeeky voice - and there was a REAL funky beat - like 'Rock Dis Funky Joint' funky. Yeah that funky.

I've asked around about this group but no one remembers them ....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

lol u ain't feeling raggadeath

i'd rather see a pic of Kish representing us.
    candian

I've always wondered if anyone even knew who Kish was outside Toronto, let alone Canada. Real nice guy, just not the best music. Looks like I came back on the board just in time for a Canadiana themed thread.

The amount of icons now are nuts, but in a good way.

alright i'm gonna up the ante here, anyone remember "Merlin"?

did some electronic/rap thing, and he was kinda big headed kind of like "if anyone catches on to this trend, im gonna break my band up"...and he did...i dont know if anyone caught on, haha, but he broke the band up...they sucked so it didnt matter

but then he made some low-fi alternative kind of poppy rock album, and i thought it was phreakn amazing. i lost my cassette in highschool,been trying to track it down every since... i was surprised how good it was...they used to play the single off the album "playboy interview" on local radio...i guess he fell off the face of the earth and then i saw him on a tv show one day..

And he was from Toronto? When? I have no idea who this is.

Beuller? Beuller?

i have a feeling he's a montrealer....isnt bran van montreal too? please, no body mention len...good single though...i really like bran van, i wont lie....dears are dope too

always wondered, latter years wise, who was first with the beat..."northern touch", dmx "where my dogs at", or mase?

• Danno, WTF is that from?? bababahhhahaha

I'm not sure. I was looking for witty images, found this and figured nothing could top it. So there we are.