question for the CTI headers....

Comments

• wide-spread with a full windsor? definitely a good look

it's the first thing they teach you in law school

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    dissing CTI

Why?

Most of their output succeeds neither as jazz nor as funk.

serious???....are you serious??? no way, you're joking right....? you're dissing incredibly dope musicians, so many DOPEass tracks, a unique sound, cover art,....sure I know that not all cti records are hot, but yo the ones that are are killers!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    dissing CTI

Why?

serious???....are you serious??? no way, you're joking right....? you're dissing incredibly dope musicians, so many DOPEass tracks, a unique sound, cover art,....sure I know that not all cti records are hot, but yo the ones that are are killers!!!

serious???....are you serious??? no way, you're joking right....?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dissing CTI

Why?

"Incredibly dope musicians" forced to play slick pseudojazz.

I miss hatting on CTI when I don't get to.

The CTI apologists don't even have access to the "You're just hatting" defense, though.

Hatting implies jealousy, and I don't think even people that like that crap are actually jealous of the CTI stashes of others.

The CTI apologists don't even have access to the "You're just hatting" defense, though.

Hatting implies jealousy, and I don't think even people that like that crap are actually jealous of the CTI stashes of others.

OOOOOHHHHH!!!! You CTI lovers just got BUUUURRRNNED!!!

• Does this mean my stash of Canned Funk and Dune's is not worth anything? DAMN!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I think we (great record collectros) must admit that we are into this record game not just for the music. It's the whole object, and those gatefold CTI covers are just plain beautiful to look at.

Yes, I spend hours contemplating my CTIs (while touching myself)

• rayray 77 Posts
    I like that Flow LP. It's kinda cool. Maybe belongs in the country-rock thread? Or not.

• I like Sunflower.

As a whole, most of the catalogue could clear a room, though.

I think we (great record collectros) must admit that we are into this record game not just for the music. It's the whole object, and those gatefold CTI covers are just plain beautiful to look at.

The truth about great collectros emerges.

But, seriously, am I the only one that has always thought that the CTI packaging was kind of cheesy?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

But, seriously, am I the only one that has always thought that the CTI packaging was kind of cheesy?

No, I have always thought it's cheesy as well. Good, and done pretty well, but definietly MAJOR cheese. I mean for fucks sake

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I think (am I thinking too much today?) that definition of "cheesy" is related to time.

No, I have always thought it's cheesy as well. Good, and done pretty well, but definietly MAJOR cheese. I mean for fucks sake

They look like some Time/Life schitt you would order off TV...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I will ride for CTI.

But I don't really listen to those records too much these days....at all really.

But that was a foundation for me and many other people in this here 'diggin' game', mang.

I will ride for CTI.

But I don't really listen to those records too much these days....at all really.

But that was a foundation for me and many other people in this here 'diggin' game', mang.

I will ride for CTI.

I will ride for CTI.

I will ride for CTI.

• hubert laws equals bob james

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Micky Rocker!

No one?

Micky Roker?

• Micky Roker?

???

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Yeah!

There's a fucking nice breakbeat on that M. Jackson LP

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Yeah!

There's a fucking nice selection of electric funky jazz on that M. Jackson LP[/b]

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

a nice selection of electric funky jazz[/b]

Am I the only person that recoils at this phrase?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

probably....that's what I love to listen to, no apologies. I love electric keyboards, Rhodes,etc and great players. I love Olinga and pretty much any record that sounds like that. Problem is, even the CTIs from that period don't all have the level of playing/composition/arrangement/care that you get from a record like that. But I think CTI maintains a pretty high ratio of successful music, at probably 35%-45% of their output. And of that percentage I really dig probably 60% of those LPs, if not more.

D**iel, you sound a bit old fogie-ish here...just sayin' is all.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

probably....that's what I love to listen to, no apologies. I love electric keyboards, Rhodes,etc and great players. I love Olinga and pretty much any record that sounds like that. Problem is, even the CTIs from that period don't all have the level of playing/composition/arrangement/care that you get from a record like that.

PS/ I DO LOVE the sound of the drums compression on the CTI records from this period.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Prelude & Sunflower are cool. Bob James, Freddie Hubbard. There must be 25 nice lps on the label.

• a nice selection of electric funky jazz[/b]

Not at all... but I do concur with the idea that if CTI releases were pressed only in quantities of 500 everyone would give their left nipple to have one

• Szabo's Mizrab is a tuff CTI.

probably....that's what I love to listen to, no apologies. I love electric keyboards, Rhodes,etc and great players. I love Olinga and pretty much any record that sounds like that. Problem is, even the CTIs from that period don't all have the level of playing/composition/arrangement/care that you get from a record like that. But I think CTI maintains a pretty high ratio of successful music, at probably 35%-45% of their output. And of that percentage I really dig probably 60% of those LPs, if not more.

D**iel, you sound a bit old fogie-ish here...just sayin' is all.

Yeah, probably.

I agree that in the context of the CTI discography, the early Milt Jacksons and Freddie Hubbards stand out as quality... but in the context of those two artists' entire discographies, aren't there a bunch of other records you'd reach for sooner? Wouldn't you go for something by Freddie Hubbard on Blue Note or on Impulse or on Atlantic before you'd mess with Red Clay?