question for the CTI headers....

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    a nice selection of electric funky jazz[/b]

Am I the only person that recoils at this phrase?

Not at all... but I do concur with the idea that if CTI releases were pressed only in quantities of 500 everyone would give their left nipple to have one

Can't argue with you on that one.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Dan*el your pop-tartery in this thread has reached extreme levels

Why--'cause I agreed with someone?

I can't argue with what he said, though.

I mean, look at these records that the NateBizzos of the world are putting five bills and more down on: sub-CTI junk that just happens to be raer.

oops..my bad ...i read the word argue[/b] as agree[/b]...i'm getting old (i always heard sight is the first thing to go).....excuse my incorrectness

you're still a poptart though....

• y'all need to stop abusing the term poptart

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Ahh! You (ALL) made me laugh! For real!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    PS/ Thank you

y'all need to stop abusing the term poptart

i've included the term in my everyday slang...sad..i know

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I mean, look at these records that the NateBizzos of the world are putting five bills and more down on: sub-CTI junk that just happens to be raer.

But, you are paying those 495 extra dollars for a "spiritual" bent. I mean, geez...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

probably....that's what I love to listen to, no apologies. I love electric keyboards, Rhodes,etc and great players. I love Olinga and pretty much any record that sounds like that. Problem is, even the CTIs from that period don't all have the level of playing/composition/arrangement/care that you get from a record like that. But I think CTI maintains a pretty high ratio of successful music, at probably 35%-45% of their output. And of that percentage I really dig probably 60% of those LPs, if not more.

D**iel, you sound a bit old fogie-ish here...just sayin' is all.

Yeah, probably.

I agree that in the context of the CTI discography, the early Milt Jacksons and Freddie Hubbards stand out as quality... but in the context of those two artists' entire discographies, aren't there a bunch of other records you'd reach for sooner? Wouldn't you go for something by Freddie Hubbard on Blue Note or on Impulse or on Atlantic before you'd mess with Red Clay?

In my experience, I went for them simultaneously when I could, but due to the fact that these LPs were clearly more popular than there earlier, more classic jazz recordings, they were also more available. I just have never SEEN an OG 'Goin' Up' on Blue Note(or reish frankly), and so I was happy to get the CTIs. Nowadays, I only check for the ones I am missing that I want(ray Baretto, Fats Theus,etc).

But Fatback and I discussed this once, because I said that Straight Life is one of my fave Hubbard LPs. He was a bit shocked what with all the excellent, deeper Hubbard stuff on Blue Note. For me, it's what I heard more often and earlier, personal preference, and one that shifts around a lot.

probably....that's what I love to listen to, no apologies. I love electric keyboards, Rhodes,etc and great players. I love Olinga and pretty much any record that sounds like that. Problem is, even the CTIs from that period don't all have the level of playing/composition/arrangement/care that you get from a record like that. But I think CTI maintains a pretty high ratio of successful music, at probably 35%-45% of their output. And of that percentage I really dig probably 60% of those LPs, if not more.

D**iel, you sound a bit old fogie-ish here...just sayin' is all.

Yeah, probably.

I agree that in the context of the CTI discography, the early Milt Jacksons and Freddie Hubbards stand out as quality... but in the context of those two artists' entire discographies, aren't there a bunch of other records you'd reach for sooner? Wouldn't you go for something by Freddie Hubbard on Blue Note or on Impulse or on Atlantic before you'd mess with Red Clay?

In my experience, I went for them simultaneously when I could, but due to the fact that these LPs were clearly more popular than there earlier, more classic jazz recordings, they were also more available. I just have never SEEN an OG 'Goin' Up' on Blue Note(or reish frankly), and so I was happy to get the CTIs. Nowadays, I only check for the ones I am missing that I want(ray Baretto, Fats Theus,etc).

But Fatback and I discussed this once, because I said that Straight Life is one of my fave Hubbard LPs. He was a bit shocked what with all the excellent, deeper Hubbard stuff on Blue Note. For me, it's what I heard more often and earlier, personal preference, and one that shifts around a lot.

You bring up a good tangential point: what this thread really needs is some Fatback.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Risking embarrassment once again, I gotta say that most of those Hubbard LPs on Blue Note sound like one big session split into multiple albums. I have always enjoyed Hubbard as a sideman or working in a non-hard bop style, which might explain why I like Red Clay much more than most if not all of his Blue Note output.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Hubbard couldn't compose. Until he broke free from the hard bop sound, I don't fuck with it. His playing on Blues and the Abstract Truth and Maiden Voyage is another story, though.

• Freddie Hubbard "Open Sesame" with Tina Brooks is 5150 HOME FOR THE SIKK.

Hard shit harder than all you diggas outfits.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Freddie Hubbard "Open Sesame" with Tina Brooks is 5150 HOME FOR THE SIKK.

Unpack that for me.

Freddie Hubbard "Open Sesame" with Tina Brooks is 5150 HOME FOR THE SIKK.

Unpack that for me.

REAL HEADZ NEED NO UNPACKING

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Boo to you.

Boo to you.

Keep it up and you will be banished back to the purgatory that is the Blue Note forum. I'm sure those guys would leave to hear about how Red Clay is superior to any of Hubbard's earlier efforts.

• i leave you

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Boo to you.

Keep it up and you will be banished back to the purgatory that is the Blue Note forum. I'm sure those guys would leave to hear about how Red Clay is superior to any of Hubbard's earlier efforts.

Are you suggesting that you and them would be on cloud nine lubing up your early Hubbard Blue Note gatefolds as makeshift vaginas? Your prejudices towards Bluenote.com belie you.

Once upon a time there was a thread dedicated to Alan Lomax (I'm trying to instigate Frank) in the Blue Note forum. Despite the hellish picture you paint, one ethnomusicologist set the record straight on the exploitative practices of Lomax, reducing him to the human pile of shit that he was. I know the term "Social Justice" gets bandied around as the new placeholder for "Diversity..." I'd like to think it all started on Bluenote.com.

D, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution. Stop being the problem.

• wait a second. there's a blue note message board? i really gotta get out in the real internet world more often.

• D, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution. Stop being the problem.

hahahah duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude....

• Can't argue with you on that one.

I mean, look at these records that the NateBizzos and Reynaldo's of the world are putting five bills and more down on: sub-CTI junk that just happens to be raer. [/b]

• It was about time for a good CTI debate. I look forward to these every six months or so. Really, I do; they make me smile.

PS Creed Taylor sweats my balls.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Isn't Muse the new CTI?

The true 70's heat is on Pablo, anyway.

Dizzy y Machito

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Inner City is the new CTI.

• Can't argue with you on that one.

I mean, look at these records that the NateBizzos and Reynaldo's of the world are putting five bills and more down on: sub-CTI junk that just happens to be raer. [/b]

If the japanese like it, it must be good though right?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

You mad?

As far as CTI's go, I only care about Freddie Hubbard's First Light. I'll defend that one to the death.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i'm so tired. george bush doesn't care about blue notes.

• for me Freddie's finest moment is "Breaking Point"...skullfugginly great Joe Chambers composistion "mirrors"....shit is raw.

• good to me