underappreciated psych masterpieces

awallawall 673 Posts
edited October 2018 in Music Talk
add on more dudes
TAGGED:

Comments

• I would throw this on, bizarre stuff, and the band leader now runs a nudist colony.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    You guys have any info on these "masterpieces"? They both look cool and all but I can barely even read the titles on both of em.

I've been liking that Morgen lp lately. And also that St John's Green lp. My favorite shit though is Hapshash and the Coloured Coat featuring the human host and the heavy metal kids.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i think this is a cool album that hardly ever gets mentioned in Psych circles, i think its pretty rad though, although not a masterpiece

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    since we're on the topic of psych, can anyone identify this track?

help a little dude out

• awallawall 673 Posts
    You guys have any info on these "masterpieces"? They both look cool and all but I can barely even read the titles on both of em.

oh, sorry. the album was Alrune Rod - Hej Du. there is an excellect review of it here.

"Did you ever wish that the four piece Soft Machine of the ???Love Make Sweet Music??? 45 had made an entire LP of that exquisite psychedelic soul, rather than just padding out the sublime ???Why Are We Sleeping???? with 30-minutes of so-jazz/so-what freeform drywank-o-thon? Or wished that organ-grinding behemoths such as Mountain and Vanilla Sludge had ??? rather than indulging in some typically undignified and seemingly endless 12-minute ???Heavy Rigby??? en suite cover version du jour ??? had instead dared to knee popular music in the nuts by slinging out such semi-coagulated spittoon fodder as the ultra-monolithic Iron Butterfly???s 17-minute ???In A Gadda Da Vidda???? Yeah, me too. "

you can also listen to the whole album there.

here's another favorite of mine:

The Idle Race - Birthday Party

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Whats up with that Time lp Mack, never seen it before.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    since we're on the topic of psych, can anyone identify this track?

help a little dude out

JK and C0. - "Fly" from their "Suddenly One Summer" album on White Whale.

Should run about $60-$70. Good album.

Here's the full version of the song from my copy:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~aaronda/wax/fly.mp3

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    goddamn, an answer in under 20 minutes.. soulstrut is quite amazing.

thanks!!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    goddamn, an answer in under 20 minutes.. soulstrut is quite amazing.

thanks!!

Sure. Here's some more psych goodness:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~aaronda/wax/Sun%20is%20Tangging.mp3

Whats up with that Time lp Mack, never seen it before.
    cool psych lp. a few pretty good songs, nothing outstanding, but i think its pretty solid. i really like the one song "See me as i am". you should be able to get it cheap too

haha, thats weird, i was just looking at show and tell music like 2 minutes ago

i really need this lp. whos got it? whats the scoop? MEGA RAER?

• haha, thats weird, i was just looking at show and tell music like 2 minutes ago

i really need this lp. whos got it? whats the scoop? MEGA RAER?

You talkin' bout the Grudzien?

i wasnt, but drop some knowledge on me anyway, im not familiar with that lp

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I don't know if I'd call the whole album a psych masterpiece, but the song Girl in Your Eye is whats really really good. Spirit is underappreciated though, maybe because their albums are so common.

• i wasnt, but drop some knowledge on me anyway, im not familiar with that lp

"PSYCH-HOMO-GOSPEL-COUNTRY"
    This dude played everything and produced this joint. This is his own label and I think there are only about 5 records on it. I've heard of religious country music but I don't think being ghey and and making your records psych flew over too well on the country scene. He probablly couldn't get a label to sign him. Dude had to of sampled some classical records for this. The songs range from 65-74 I think. Dope find if you get it cheap...no need to hunt for it though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i think this is a cool album that hardly ever gets mentioned in Psych circles, i think its pretty rad though, although not a masterpiece

T.I.M.E. (Trust In Men Everywhere) had two albums in all. The one thing I have by them is a single which paired "Trippin' Into Sunshine" with "What Would Life Be Without It" (I forget what the exact A-side is). Really good, but kinda commercial-sounding for a psych band. Richard Tepp (from mid-sixties garage rockers Richard & the Young Lions) was a member.

• I believe that IS a fairly APPRECIATED psych record, probably one of the more well known Canadian garage LPs....

• I don't know if I'd call the whole album a psych masterpiece, but the song Girl in Your Eye is whats really really good. Spirit is underappreciated though, maybe because their albums are so common.

Cosign...

• Options

I believe that IS a fairly APPRECIATED psych record, probably one of the more well known Canadian garage LPs....

"Scarborough!" Dave Bingham went to Cedarbra and is a friend of the family.

K.

I believe that IS a fairly APPRECIATED psych record, probably one of the more well known Canadian garage LPs....

I never knew they were supposed to be out-and-out psych...the Ugly Ducklings tracks I've heard just sound like straight-up garage-rock to me...and no, garage and psych are not always the same thing.

• didn't mean to break the genre barrier.
    incredible music regardless of what you call it!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Chuck Trois & The National Bank-S/T

Go buy AP's! Dope soul psych.

• kozzkozz 17 Posts

yeh, same goes for that bent wind lp. i thought sussex was the most valuable pysch jammer ever, priced at 10, 000 for an og or something insane.

• I have the Time for Good Cheer record and I have to say it is more lounge than psych. Apparently the guys in the band have stated that they were not influenced by PSYCH. No Fuzz guitars, no backwards tape loops. It has a couple nice tracks but definitely not worth the hype on this one. You could never call this a masterpiece.

The cover is supa dupa dope though!

• The term masterpiece is the antithesis of all of these records. They are cool, amazing socio-cultural documents they are rad to listen to but hesus... Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon is a materpeice. This garage rock stuff is confined to the catagory of cool, fun, rad, and " interesting ". That certainly does not prevent me from buying stuff like this for my collection.

raer

didn't mean to break the genre barrier.
    incredible music regardless of what you call it!

oh, i wasnt trying to bust any balls or anything, just saying. not meant as a flame - the ugly ducklings were a great band, no argument there.

i know one thing:

i think the ugly ducklings "just in case you wonder" is far more of a masterpiece than anything from pink floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON but thats just my view!

• well... don't get me wrong. it's not like i have the dark side poster on my bedroom wall or anything.

it is just that so much of this garage sounding psych stuff is a combination of bad vocals, blues rip offs, monotony on the shred guitar solo, and bad taste. shred is dead ( sort of ). i guess i am feeling more skeptical as i close this auction today and i see records selling for $70 that sound like they should be $5. i realize that most dealers don't knock thier own merch and i do understand these records are raer.

now if you and your buddy would just hand me over my copy of the second food record i will promise not to insult anyones psych collection.

i will say that food is a masterpeice and so is a bunch of other things that would classify as " psych ".

if anybody has " white boy " i will give my left testicle.

" rock on "

ap

RAER

• I believe that IS a fairly APPRECIATED psych record, probably one of the more well known Canadian garage LPs....

yeh, same goes for that bent wind lp. i thought sussex was the most valuable pysch jammer ever, priced at 10, 000 for an og or something insane.

I've seen Bent Wind go for like 3,000. There's a 45 too that catches a few hundred as well. BTW, that you A**x Un**ev***e?