underappreciated psych masterpieces

Comments

• K.

Psyche masterpiece for life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seb

underappreciated because its too fuckin expensive to listen to on original vinyl.

hmmm,

i would say "expensive" does not fully cover it in this case !?

Seb

• Yeah, I've seen a 90's press of that Damon record that was still like $150. Sounds pretty interesting, though. Crink, I will cop that one first. I know a place wih a copy of the reish. How is Parable of Arable Land? This other place has an OG for 125. I wish it was Golden Dawn or Easter Everywhere. Has anyone heard the OG Easter Everywhere with the correct track sequence? I remember that Tommy Hall interview someone posted a couple weeks back where he was pissed they had changed it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    How is Parable of Arable Land? This other place has an OG for 125.

it's way cool. More psychpunk than their other stuff. I suppose that is a fair price considering that most IA stuff sells for somewhere around there.

• Yeah, the dude that runs the shop said that in all his years selling thats the only one he's come across on the label. He specializes in psych stuff, too. I don't know, it seems like those LPs would pop up more than that. I guess in Texas they do. Just not on the East Coast.

On a completely unrelated note, have you ever seen the second May Blitz record? I have the one with the monkey on the cover, but the other one is way harder to catch apparently.

Yeah, the dude that runs the shop said that in all his years selling thats the only one he's come across on the label. He specializes in psych stuff, too. I don't know, it seems like those LPs would pop up more than that. I guess in Texas they do. Just not on the East Coast.

yeah, the only one I see that much of is that shitty Bubble Puppy record. I've had the first 13th floor elevators like twice. Seen the other two once but they were $$$

On a completely unrelated note, have you ever seen the second May Blitz record? I have the one with the monkey on the cover, but the other one is way harder to catch apparently.

Nope. Isn't it called like May's 2nd, or 2nd on May?

• Yeah, the dude that runs the shop said that in all his years selling thats the only one he's come across on the label. He specializes in psych stuff, too. I don't know, it seems like those LPs would pop up more than that. I guess in Texas they do. Just not on the East Coast.

yeah, the only one I see that much of is that shitty Bubble Puppy record. I've had the first 13th floor elevators like twice. Seen the other two once but they were $$$

Nope. Isn't it called like May's 2nd, or 2nd on May?

I think its called 2nd of May or something, you're right. One I was unimpressed with was the live 13th Floor Elevators record. The sound quality is piss poor. Maybe its just a bad pressing(re) or something. What numbers were those records pressed in? A couple thousand a piece?

What numbers were those records pressed in? A couple thousand a piece?

I'm curious about this too. those Texans seem to find 'em. Maybe just poor distrobution?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm listening to Bruce Palmer "the cycle is complete" right now. Solo lp from Buffalo Springfield's bassist, really strange album.

• I mean there was the Nuggets stuff, I wonder whether they became nationally known after the fact or what? Because that would have an effect on how many copies reached other parts of the country besides Texas. There is the record fair in Austin every year too, I'd wager many of them left town that way.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Has anyone heard the OG Easter Everywhere with the correct track sequence?

my dad bequeathed his copy to me. he bought it when it came out i think.
    the tracklising is:
    Slip Inside This House
    Slide Machine
    She Lives (in a time of her own)
    Nobody to Love
    Baby Blue
    Eathquake
    Dust
    I've Got Levitation
    I Had to Tell You
    Postures (Leeave Your Body Behind)

on the red krayola tip: I pretty sure Parable hovers in the $40-70 range. i copped an OG of God Bless the Red Krayola a while back for $20.

has anyone heard Viola Crayola?

• Thats how the tracks go on mine so I don't know what the article was referring to. Whatever. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That beats any of the records I got from my dad. Damn. I figured he priced Parable higher based on his own personal attachment to it. Like "Well, I guess I'd let it go for $125..." Crazy that he doesn't have any others, because he does the Lancaster and Arbutus shows every month, and you'd think there would be some coming through there eventually.

• Has anyone heard the OG Easter Everywhere with the correct track sequence?

my dad bequeathed his copy to me. he bought it when it came out i think.
    the tracklising is:
    Slip Inside This House
    Slide Machine
    She Lives (in a time of her own)
    Nobody to Love
    Baby Blue
    Eathquake
    Dust
    I've Got Levitation
    I Had to Tell You
    Postures (Leeave Your Body Behind)

My old UK CD reissue of this has that track order/listing. When was it issued with a different lineup?

• I don't know, I just remember Tommy Hall saying that it happened in an interview.
    Maybe when it was bootlegged after the fact, or something?

• Holy Crap.

C.A. QUINTET-Trip Thru Hell-Candy Floss(U.S., '69,M-/M,SIS)
    $3000. (SOLD)

BENT WIND-Sussex-Trend(Canada, '68,M-/M-,SIS,COH) $5000. (SOLD)

AUGUST-Same-Nise Sound(U.S., '67)-Call me crazy, but this is as good to me as the similarly-styled Bachs LP and just as rare. (M-/M,SIS) $2500

BACHS-Out of the...-Roto(U.S., '68)-Fantastic garage psych/folkrock with snakey fuzz guitar and spacey vocals. Rarer than Bent Wind so you know this will not be easy to wrestle away from me. (M-/M,SIS) $3500. (SOLD)

IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO-Sirio 2222-RCA(Italy, '70)-Perhaps first time listed for sale on these shores; seldom seen in Europe. One of the top five Italian heavy progressive/psych pieces. Screeching loud fuzz attacks with crazed vocals. Infinitely better and rarer than their typically progressive "Ys" album. Third copy plays with its share of surface noise and clicks with a couple of skips on side two, but the last half of side 1 plays almost perfectly. (M-/M-, WLP) $1500 (SOLD) or (S1 EX+,S2 M-/EX,SSTNC,SRWBC) $1200 (SOLD) or (VG/FC EX,BC VG++,WOBC,RWBC) $350. (SOLD)

BRAEN'S MACHINE-Underground-Liuto(Italy, '71,M-/EX,TOC,SRWBC) $1500.

CHARGE-Same-S.R.T.(U.K., '73)-Ultra-rare noncommercially released British progressive/psych monster reissued on Kissing Spell; plain white cover. (EX-) $3000. (SOLD)

CHRISTOPHER-What'cha Gonna Do?-Chris-tee(U.S., '68)-Only 100 pressed so obviously mighty rare. West Coast somewhat bluesy hard guitar psych with furious fuzz attacks. (SS,WSTNBC) $5000 (SOLD).

COLD SUN-Dark Shadows-private(U.S., '69)-This is the one-of-a-kind acetate from which rose the now legendary Rockadelic reissue. Because of legalities, the group's name and album title had to be transposed. This acetate contains three less songs than the Rockadelic reissue and comes in a recording service cover. (EX-/VG+,HRW,SPS,STNC,WOC) $10,000. (SOLD)

COMPLEX-Same-private(U.K., '70,M-/M-) $4000.

DAMON-Song of a Gypsy-Ankh(U.S., '70)-Holy Grail of spooky acid psych, first copy signed by the gypsy king himself. (M-/M-,FO,AUTO) $4000 (SOLD) or
    (M-/M-,FO) $4000. (SOLD)

DRAGONWYCK-Same-private(U.S., '70)-First album in plain cover. (S1 EX+,S2 M-,PL) $3500.

DRAGONWYCK-II-private(U.S., '71)-Acetate only. (M-) $5000

FRACTION-Moon Blood-Angelus(U.S., '70)-One of the top ten sought-after prizes of U.S. psychedelia. From its blood red window gimmix cover with insert, to its spooky Doorsy sound, to its ripping fuzz guitar, to its gravel-throated ballsy vocals, this album has it all; an all-time monsterpiece. (M-/M-,WIS,SIS) $3000 (SOLD) or (EX+/EX,WIS,STNC,TIC) $1750.

JESSE HARPER-Same-private(U.K., '69)-Here it is!!! Another Cold Sun "Dark Shadows" level acetate-only item. Only 2 copies known to exist. This is deity-status Hendrix-inspired heavy acid guitar psych. Human Instinct related. Acetate surface is chipped or corroded about 6 revolutions into both sides causing loud pops; otherwise visually as graded and playing much stronger for the most part. Laminated acetate-style generic cover not mentioning the artist. Not an exaggeration to say this is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. (EX-/FC M-,BC EX,XOBC) $15,000.

COMPLEX-The Way We Feel-Deroy(U.K., '71,M-/M-) $2000.

INDEX-Same-DC(U.S., '67)-These are copies of the almost-impossible-to-find red label first album which has the even-more-impossible-to-find original cover of which there are only 4 or 5 known copies. (M-/M-) $6000 (SOLD) or (S1 EX+,S2 EX/EX,SRW,SPS) $4500. (SOLD)

INDEX-Same-DC(U.S., '68)-Second album. (M-/M,SIS) $2500 (SOLD) or (S1 EX+,S2 M-/M-)-$2250. (SOLD

LAGHONIA-Glue-Mag(Peru, '70)-Best condition disc you'll ever see of this So. American heavy psych mind-fryer. For years this LP was unknown to exist as psych-hounds gleefully tripped to their second album below, believing it to be the band's only offering. (M-/EX,RW) $2500.

LAGHONIA-Etc.-Mag(Peru, '71)-One of the most other-worldly psych albums in existence; haunting vocals, fret-frenzy fuzz leads, spooky organ, and to find one in this shape, well how many lifetimes are you prepared to wait? (M-/EX+,FO,SRW) $1750 or (S1 EX+,S2 EX/FC EX,BC EX-,FO,SPS,XOBC,TOBC) $1250. (SOLD)

NECRONOMICON-Tips Zum Selbstmord-Best Prehodi(Germany, '72)-Beyond rare heavy psych; wasted vocals, vicious guitar, churning organ; underground to the max. Comes in multi-foldout cross cover. Must be Germany's rarest. (S1 M-,S2 EX+/EX+,FO) $2000

BILLY NICHOLLS-Would You Believe-Immediate(U.K., '68)-Rarest U.K. major label psych giant and in the "Sgt. Pepper's..." realm of musical quality. Immediately withdrawn from availability with only a handful escaping into the mod world of swinging London. (M-/FC EX,BC EX+,PSTIC,STABC) $3750.

100% UNKNOWN FIBERS-Smoke It-private(U.S., '70)-Heavy psych album apparently recorded live at an event called the Laguna Beach Christmas Festival according to 3001 Record Collector Dreams. This album has baffled collectors and dealers for years. Comes in a plain white cover that is hand-stamped in one corner with one hand-stamped label. (S1 EX+,S2 M-/VG++,RW,FSPS) $4000.

PHAFNER-Overdrive-Dragon(U.S., '72)-High-decibel fuzz-soaked, full-on psych; one of the rarest of the rare as only 50 originals ever graced the planet. This copy contains notes about the recording sessions and the band's history along with song lyrics. (M/M,SIS,WIN) $9000.

PHANTASIA-Same-Damon(U.S., '69)-Spans the cosmic abyss from heavy fuzz/psych rippers to awesome folk/psych tunes. This is not the mega-rare, one-sided release of a scant 10 copies. Oh no my children, this is their mega-hyper-ultra rare, to-my-knowledge-never-before-offered, two-sided album. Comes in plain cover. (M-) $7500.

RAMINGHI-???Il Lungo Cammino Dei???-Bentler(Italy, ???71)-Why is it that the best albums always seem to be the rarest? Heavy progressive masterpiece with out-of-control barbarous guitar attacks. Only flaw being small writing inside the gatefold cover. (M-/M-,FO) $4000.

PHIL SAWYER-Childhood's End-Sweet Peach(Australia, '74)-The only other album I know of on this label besides (and just as rare as) Extradition. Amazing acid folk/psych with spaced, phased vocals and unbelievable fuzz, phased guitar. A must for anyone into this kind of music. (M-/EX+) $2000.

SMACK-Same-private(U.S., '68)-I don't usually consider cover bands as among my favorites, but this band doing Hendrix and Cream covers with blazing fuzz leads abounding has to be heard to be believed. Only offered once before and not nearly in this condition. (M-/M-,SIS,MO) $3000 (SOLD) or (EX/M,SIS,MO) $2250. (SOLD

STONE HARBOUR-Emerges-Stone Harbour(U.S., '74)-Emotions run high through this true psychedelic artifact. Sporadic fuzz laces together songs of intimate, lost sadness. A real other worldly state of consciousness or sub consciousness or unconsciousness (I haven't really figured which).
    (M-/M-) $1500.

VICTORIA-Same-private(U.S., '71)-One of the top 10 rarest U.S. psych monsters which was made a household word (in psych circles, anyway) by the velvet covered Little Indians/Shadoks reissue. Purple label version of demented acid psychedelia with wasted female vocals and twisted guitar leads. Horns tastefully added as with C.A. Quintet and comes in a plain cover. (M-) $5000

• jigenjigen 15 Posts
    Hey psych/soul headz everywhere!
    nice discussion about psychedelia, everyone think some different about, that???s the thingh with psych??????????????????.enough boring too much USA material???.

In my opinion, if you???re looking for underrated psych gems, you must lookout for german records from the late 60???s/early 70???s; try the following:
    - first 4 albums by GURU GURU
    - first 2 album by NEU!
    - anything from the FAUST
    - anything (but all different, maybe) by the CAN
    - first 2 albums by MESSAGE (more hard-prog, but with sax, huh?)
    - ???Phallus Dei???, ???Yeti??? and other records by AMON DUUL II (first lps are very messy..)
    and many, many others?????????????????????

Anyway, you can find any psych gems from around the world on the Borderline Books (online reading also at):
    http://www.soybomb.com/BorderlineBooks/

Think if you like prog/jazz/psych fusion could look also at many french and swedish bands, an example you can find it here
    http://www.wasaexpress.net/egba.html (ethno/afro fusion from sweden, 1976, download!!!!!)

Any of you could post some link for sounds resources of this kind on the net?

TUNE IN!

• jigenjigen 15 Posts
    I don't know if it's underappreciated, but I've never heard anyone talk about it here. Spinning Wheel (not a cover) is an outstanding track.

............hey, what's this crazy thing.....?
    SHARE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Holy Crap.

BENT WIND-Sussex-Trend(Canada, '68,M-/M-,SIS,COH) $5000. (SOLD)

That??s cheap.

A band member had it on his side priced in the 5 digit range sometime !

It IS fucking rare - noone wants to talk about 45s in that area ...

And that SWEGAS - Child of light album is ok with some breaks and maybe samples, be prepared to face some brass work, rare and obscure of course but nothing over-impressing ...

Seb

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Blonde on Blonde LP kicks ass...well worth the $ to buy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Any opinion on the Insect Trust? I have their Atco album and was unimpressed, but I'm told the Capitol LP was far better.

And how about People? I never liked their hit ("I Love You"), but I understand the albums were way better.

NOTE: NOT INTERESTED IN PRICE CHECKS OR BREAKBEATS, JUST WANT SOMEBODY TO SPEAK ON THE MUSIC - THANX!!

I was told Insect Trust wasn't psych, but garage/freakbeat...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

No, 1969-70 was a little too late for those styles. Their Atco album sounds nothing like garage or freakbeat.

Ehhhh. I know I've heard it, but can't remember squat about it.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I dunno, that psych dude is most likely throwin alot of big ticket pieces up there that he don't even have for show. Kinda like your boy RECISM. Or I may be sadly mistaken. Those Laghonia LP's are wicked, in a bitchin' way.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

No, 1969-70 was a little too late for those styles. Their Atco album sounds nothing like garage or freakbeat.

The Capitol LP is all over the map stylistically but its not garage. There's some folk, some psych, some free jazz, some rock, etc. I really like it.
    The Blonde on Blonde LP mentioned earlier has been a favorite of mine for years.
    Two other psych LP's that aren't crazy expesive but are good are The Id's "Inner Sounds of the Id" (RCA) and Autosalvage (RCA).

• Holy Crap.

JESSE HARPER-Same-private(U.K., '69)-Here it is!!! Another Cold Sun "Dark Shadows" level acetate-only item. Only 2 copies known to exist. This is deity-status Hendrix-inspired heavy acid guitar psych. Human Instinct related. Acetate surface is chipped or corroded about 6 revolutions into both sides causing loud pops; otherwise visually as graded and playing much stronger for the most part. Laminated acetate-style generic cover not mentioning the artist. Not an exaggeration to say this is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. (EX-/FC M-,BC EX,XOBC) $15,000.

This was reissued by Kissing Spell label & recently by Acme. It smokes!

• what was the kid, like 16 years old when he wrote this whole record?

psych.

Jay K lives now in Mallorca, Spain and he still plays in some blues-rock bands.

• Damon is pretty much all its hyped up to be... though I would never pay big $ for it (if I had the money in the first place). Funky at times even, basically like a "real peoples" Jim Morrison a little bit more sane and a bit more breeeezy n sleezy.

Damon album has been recently reissued from the master tapes by spanish label Guerssen. It comes in a gatefold sleeve and has a bonus 45. I love that record to pieces. A couple of months ago Damon played in Spain with original guitarist Charlie Carey and it was amazing, he has an awesome voice, like a psychedelic crooner!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I FEEEEEeEeeeEEEEl your love

• I FEEEEEeEeeeEEEEl your love

"some wear suits, some wear beads...and some will never know that deep inside is where it's at"

• I dunno, that psych dude is most likely throwin alot of big ticket pieces up there that he don't even have for show. Kinda like your boy RECISM. Or I may be sadly mistaken. Those Laghonia LP's are wicked, in a bitchin' way.

Yeah, that list is sort of like Records by Mail or something in that they list almost everything they've had at some point. I was just blown away by the sheer number of things in this price range. Good to know these things are seeing reissues as opposed to like 180 gram Fleetwood Mac records or something. I've been checking that site for a couple of years now and he definitely updates
    at least quarterly or something, I don't remember seeing some of those on there before.