underappreciated psych masterpieces

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Cool, agree to disagree it is then. Got any links to the band you were in, I'd love to hear it. SO I take it you are more into garage-psych then? or no? See for me those dead albums were recorded under the influence of psychedelic drugs and they have some "trippy" effects (like on the vocals in the link to "Rosemary") so that makes 'em psych in my book. What equals psych in your book? Where do you put LOVE Forever Changes ? How about Maximillian? Or, Jefferson Airplane After Bathing at Bakters or Surealistic Pillow ?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Cool, agree to disagree it is then. Got any links to the band you were in, I'd love to hear it. SO I take it you are more into garage-psych then? or no? See for me those dead albums were recorded under the influence of psychedelic drugs and they have some "trippy" effects (like on the vocals in the link to "Rosemary") so that makes 'em psych in my book. What equals psych in your book? Where do you put LOVE Forever Changes ? How about Maximillian? Or, Jefferson Airplane After Bathing at Bakters or Surealistic Pillow ?

none of the stuff I posted above is garage psych...what I consider psych is in the hour long psych mix I posted this morning, but for some reason was ignored...in fact I consider the Dead kinda garage psych, the first incarnation of the Dead, the Warlocks are garage. Love "Forever Changes" is amazing to me, I love that LP, and I would consider it psych. The Jefferson Airplane is psych, but it is in that first wave California vein, which aside from Blue Cheer and Love doesnt really hit me in the right place...Love were the greatest songwriters out of all the first wave California stuff IMO. But as far as the LPs I posted above(aside form the Moondog) I am sure drugs HAD to be included in the equation.

I also included my band in the psych mix...a little ego-trippin. no pun intended.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Whats up with the Cal lp under the Brainticket Hook Up?
    thats Gal Costa, no?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Whats up with the Cal lp under the Brainticket Hook Up?

Gal Costa s/t (one of two s/t she released in 1969) apparently it was a joke between Caetano, Gilberto and herself to release all of their tropicalia LPs as s/t...I dont know if it is true, or why they did it, but all of their psych jernts are just s/t. (except for Gal's "Al todo vapor"(sic)

• If they were private press raer ya'll would be filling your tighties up w/ bloody stool to be sure.

If a record sucks...it sucks. No matter how many copies there were. The GD's harmonies make me sick. LOVE and the BYRDS were the best bands to come out of the Cali. scene at that time IMO. Jefferson Airplane and the Doors suck IMO but they have a higher chance of revolving on my turntable than the Dead.

Sorry I just can't stop with the pics

How many other psych bands have merchndise?

I'm not trippin'...just havin' fun!

ROCK ON!!!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

K.

Psyche masterpiece for life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seb

underappreciated because its too fuckin expensive to listen to on original vinyl.

How many other psych bands have merchndise?
    last thing I'm gonna say about the dead (promise) THEY ARE NOT/WERE NOT "THE SAME BAND" after those first 4 records, they certainly did evolve into something not psych at all.

• How many other psych bands have merchndise?
    last thing I'm gonna say about the dead (promise) THEY ARE NOT/WERE NOT "THE SAME BAND" after those first 4 records, they certainly did evolve into something not psych at all.

I gotcha! I'm just messin around. I know they didn't have "Anthem Of The Sun" lunchboxes! Your post about the 1st four albums was like reading the guitar player in my band's diary. He has tried for years to get me to like those records. Just ain't feelin' their vocals or guitar sounds. I just don't consider them "Underated Psych." Let's end it here...Jerr Bear would have wanted it that way.

peeping now. I've been training a new dude at work all day so haven't had the time to dilly and dally on-line as much as usual.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    since we're on the topic of psych, can anyone identify this track?

help a little dude out

JK and C0. - "Fly" from their "Suddenly One Summer" album on White Whale.

Should run about $60-$70. Good album.

Here's the full version of the song from my copy:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~aaronda/wax/fly.mp3

this is some next level shit. sounds like fucking radiohead.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    since we're on the topic of psych, can anyone identify this track?

help a little dude out

Should run about $60-$70. Good album.

Here's the full version of the song from my copy:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~aaronda/wax/fly.mp3

yo i SUPER need this. anyone got an extra?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    The term masterpiece is the antithesis of all of these records. They are cool, amazing socio-cultural documents they are rad to listen to but hesus... Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon is a materpeice. This garage rock stuff is confined to the catagory of cool, fun, rad, and " interesting ". That certainly does not prevent me from buying stuff like this for my collection.

what I meant by masterpiece was more what you are trying to describe. albums that are a cohesive artistic statement and are meant to listened to in their entirety rather than some one-tracker garage rock one hit wonder type shit. i consider Hej Du and Birthday Party to be masterpieces in the former sense, though I can't speak for all the other albums.

and yes, the grateful dead do have some hot shit, but having millions of permafried shirtless fans who practically devote their lives to you worship every scrap of a recording you barely even touched doesn't really make your albums "underappreciated".

• awallawall 673 Posts

YES!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm sorry to say this but you guys sound like total idiots here. The dead became a weird jam band cash cow country rock prog outfit only after about the mid 70's.

That "Rosemary" song was no improvement. Just sounded like folky hippie music to me. I'm not doubting that the Dead were psych, but I'd rather stick with my Seeds and Chocolate Watch Band records. At least they never turned their back on the rock.

• kozzkozz 17 Posts
    I believe that IS a fairly APPRECIATED psych record, probably one of the more well known Canadian garage LPs....

yeh, same goes for that bent wind lp. i thought sussex was the most valuable pysch jammer ever, priced at 10, 000 for an og or something insane.

I've seen Bent Wind go for like 3,000. There's a 45 too that catches a few hundred as well. BTW, that you A**x Un**ev***e?

yeah thats me....

there was an article a few years back, sorta around the dawn of ebay insanity (which coincided with the private/psych market explosion) in the very late nineties about dude from bent wind, still living in scarborough or ajax or some shit, trying to get a copy of Sussex and not being able to afford the price, because it sold for something insane. I think they reformed the band around then too. "looking for the bent wind lp" was a line oft heard by stinking oldman collector scum in toronto when i lived there...wayne rogers nailed it when he said sussex is the perfection of that good ol' recorded in barn ambiance....

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Guys. Early Grateful Dead is actually really good music. They even had two or three tracks many could agree deserves to be called "psych." But sitting and arguing that they make psychedelic music is like arguing that Joan Baez was the first rapper or something cause of that song she did in 1976. Way ignorant.

Don Bolles, former drummer from the Germs, is probably the best psychedelic DJ in LA. Anyone who in the city who is unclear on the concept, or just likes to drink while listening to real good music, should get to the Little Joy the second Sunday of every month when he spins. I will be the one talking to hot girls if you want to introduce yourself. Here are Don's "Hobbies and Interests" from his friendster profile:

"Psychedelia (as in the true meaning of the word, not like, say, the Grateful you-know-what), surrealism, alchemy, time travel, EVP, DMT, short wave radio static, strobe lights, echo, mirrors"

Ok... So some shit you may not know about. Scanning my shelf...

CA Quintet - Trip Thru Hell (good luck, there are 200 of them, just get the reissue)
    Golden Dawn - Power Plant
    Poetry Out Loud - Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 (AP or I might be able to help you find these)
    Puff - Puff
    Randy Johnson - The Gift of Randy Johnson

All of the above rules.

Anyone who wants to know more about psychedelic music should check out Acid Archives. Do a google. Several lifetimes of information there.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

if youre cheap, this song and others off this album can also be found on the album "Early works of Zager & Evans & others" on white whale. one side is early zager & evans cuts, other side i think is all j.k. & co.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

your like the 10th person I heard say that. Great Record!

I put "fly" on a CD-R for my emcee homie, and he thought it was some radiohead b-side or outtake track he's never heard.

what was the kid, like 16 years old when he wrote this whole record?

psych.

from his friendster profile:
    please to get w/ the program, friendster is sooo 2003 It's all about myspace in the '05!

• This LP is very good. A couple tracks with a Beatlesque arrangement feel to them, very nice, and one mostly instrumental psych jam burner, called "Madame Magical"... heavy phased-out hammond...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    For AP, I don't know if I'd call this a masterpiece, but it's PP raer:

http://thewaxcrusade.com/mason.wav

Enjoy!
    Peace
    T.N.

• CA Quintet - Trip Thru Hell (good luck, there are 200 of them, just get the reissue)
    Golden Dawn - Power Plant

Fuck yeah. These records do indeed rule. Trip thru Hell sounds like Ultimate Spinach on opium or something. Golden Dawn is sort of like 13th Floor Elevators(same label).
    Is the Red Krayola on par with this stuff?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

if youre cheap, this song and others off this album can also be found on the album "Early works of Zager & Evans & others" on white whale. one side is early zager & evans cuts, other side i think is all j.k. & co.

I am cheap, so thanks, good look!

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

Way too noisy and punk for me to personally enjoy, it would probably be good to play out to some hipster crowd. 'War Sucks' is a pretty crazy song, you listen to it's so raw it's hard to believe it's 1967. Talk about pissed off Texans.

• Hmm...sounds like I might like it, but I'll definitely peep a reissue first.

Has anyone been to this site?

http://www.raw-tcsd.com/

Some crazy high priced psych shit on there. Anyone heard Aguaturbia? Theres a reissue of that floating around too. What about that Damon record, what does that actually sound like?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Aguaturbia is pretty righteous, "Guitar Man" specifically is wicked. Both LP's of theres I could easily settle with reissues of though.

Damon is pretty much all its hyped up to be... though I would never pay big $ for it (if I had the money in the first place). Funky at times even, basically like a "real peoples" Jim Morrison a little bit more sane and a bit more breeeezy n sleezy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Way too noisy and punk for me to personally enjoy, it would probably be good to play out to some hipster crowd. 'War Sucks' is a pretty crazy song, you listen to it's so raw it's hard to believe it's 1967.

I think it's raw BECAUSE it's from 1967.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Mr. Torfulson,

the Red Krayola is fuckin' dope! get a copy of "God bless the red krayola & those who sail with it".

• Is the Red Krayola on par with this stuff?

Way too noisy and punk for me to personally enjoy, it would probably be good to play out to some hipster crowd. 'War Sucks' is a pretty crazy song, you listen to it's so raw it's hard to believe it's 1967.

I think it's raw BECAUSE it's from 1967.

And 'Hurricane Fighter Plane' is as deep as Texas psyche gets.