Common's second "resurrection"???

2»

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i really liked Be, but i didnt really like LWFC at all, IMO One day It'll All make sense trupms that album

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't get what is all this talk about "RESURECTION Part 2". Who cares really...that was an incredible album that he already did. Of course "Be" is not as good as Resurection (that shit came out in our heyday, nothing today will make us feel as good. maybe close but never the same) but it's still a really good album from begining to end.

In not talkin' about making Resurection pt 2.
    The media hyped BE up crazily.
    Hoping it would "BE" a return to form.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    You ever get "Tekzilla?". A real dope cut. It was some bootleg from 2 years ago. Worth tracking down.

i only vaugely remember that cut. to soulseek!

I don't get what is all this talk about "RESURECTION Part 2". Who cares really...that was an incredible album that he already did. Of course "Be" is not as good as Resurection (that shit came out in our heyday, nothing today will make us feel as good. maybe close but never the same) but it's still a really good album from begining to end.

i wasn't expecting a ressurection pt. 2. i don't think an artist should be expected to backtrack. i had wanted to see "mature" common merge with the common that, you know, was one of the greatest rappers of all time. take a little bit of the magic from his first few lps and apply it to his post badu pussy kufi EC lunacy/perspective. that'd been cool with me. but it wasn't it was heartless and unnatural, it was com trying to recreate something from ten years ago that can't be recreated. he made a record he probably didn't really want to make, and it sounds like it. it's the record that he thought the fans wanted from him. would i have bought another electric circus? of course not, but at least common would be making a more natural record i think.

like hogg said, be was kinda cool, but i couldn't imagine really wanting to listen to it again.

i would like to also state that, in retrospect, i think the best cuts on one day murk ressurection's best shit, even though ressurection is a better from top to bottom (no 10 minute badu roots jams). but on shit like "hungry" he fuckin took it there.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    i really liked Be, but i didnt really like LWFC at all, IMO One day It'll All make sense trumps that album

• [ i think the best cuts on one day murk ressurection's best shit,

blasphemy dun-dun. straight up blasphemy.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    [ i think the best cuts on one day murk ressurection's best shit,

LWFC is really bland IMO. plain ass beats. maybe thats cuz i dont really like jay dee

• Got love for hometown Common and love to see that dude blow the fuck up but "Like Water..." blows "Be" out the water.

Productions sans 'On the Corner' is a snoozical

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

i would've thought the same as you five years ago, but i think the one day jammies have aged much better.

i remember when one day was supposed to be his fall off album like "oh shit - reminding me of self is corny as hell! r&b hook on the abortion song! com fell off!" if only we had known...

i would've thought the same as you five years ago, but i think the one day jammies have aged much better.

i remember when one day was supposed to be his fall off album like "oh shit - reminding me of self is corny as hell! r&b hook on the abortion song! com fell off!" if only we had known...

heh heh, that's about when I stopped checking for him...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i remember when one day was supposed to be his fall off album like "oh shit - reminding me of self is corny as hell! r&b hook on the abortion song! com fell off!" if only we had known... [/b]

yeah, it's like common was prophecizing - one day it'll all make sense

listening to the first two tracks - invocation and real nigga quotes - is a great experience anytime. never gets old, like... sometimes i don't really feel like hearing "i used to love her" again.

• Speakin of Common. Have you heard these UK rappers dissing him?

read about it here, and at the bottom there's a link for the diss track:

http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/74526514/

just his music but not his fashionable kufi attire.

"yo com got one in beige...I'd better git widit".

yeah, it's like common was prophecizing - one day it'll all make sense

cosign

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    "Be" gotta be one of the more solid albums I've heard all year.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The question should be, if someone stepped to Common... Could he come up with anything near The Bitch In Yoo?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The question should be, if someone stepped to Common... Could he come up with anything near The Bitch In Yoo?

Have you heard these UK rappers dissing him?

hmmm...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Have you heard these UK rappers[/b] dissing him?

hmmm...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    as much as i've hated on BE i realized the other day its a 'crib cd'(which is probably why i didnt/dont like it that much)
    you have: crib cd's,car cd's,headphone cd's, etc...etc..etc

i popped it in the other day while i was doing shit around the crib and it really didn't sound as bad as i remembered..it flowed pretty well while hangin' with the fam....tried to play it in the car a day or so later and it sounded as bad as i remembered

in other words,BE is a good listen if you're assembling Ikea furniture ..lol

Haha, OK motherfucker... you are off by several years... I will forgive you because you just turned what, 22? So the photo in question was taken while you were celebrating your quincenera

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Chalk "Be" up to that "critically acclaimed" buzzword. Critics loved it, it came out and went "THUD". I was not impressed by Be whatsoever.

• in other words,BE is a good listen if you're assembling Ikea furniture ..lol

Haha, OK motherfucker... you are off by several years... I will forgive you because you just turned what, 22? So the photo in question was taken while you were celebrating your quincenera

Shiiiiiiiiit...I wish I just turned 22. I'm dead serious.

• "Be" gotta be one of the more solid albums I've heard all year.

thanks for saying that.

i mean it's not my favorite shit, but i like it as a whole. in fact, it's still in my car and i listen to it sometimes. i even like the john legend track and sing along with the hook. fuck it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i would like to also state that, in retrospect, i think the best cuts on one day murk ressurection's best shit, even though ressurection is a better from top to bottom (no 10 minute badu roots jams). but on shit like "hungry" he fuckin took it there.

A bold statement, but to the extent that I can force myself to be objective about Resurrection, an album that was a big part of my identity as a teenager, I kind of agree.

There's some incredible schitt on One Day... unfortunately it's poorly sequenced and the quality material is jumbled in with some straight garbage.

• I saw Common on Jimmy Kimmel last night and he was stunning. And thats not a word I use about a man much. I never got "Be" but he performed Be with a full band and it was beautiful to see that on regular tv.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I saw Common on Jimmy Kimmel last night and he was stunning. And thats not a word I use about a man much. I never got "Be" but he performed Be with a full band and it was beautiful to see that on regular tv.

I'm sorry, but that dude is one of the worst live performers in rap.

• I think what hurt Be was that Kanye tried too hard. The JD and James Poyser tracks work better because it wasn't force feeding the groove and the messagr. No way Com should have let John Mayer on his album. Besides that, there's getting rolled over by the hype machine that is Late Registration.

I think what hurt Be was that Kanye tried too hard. The JD and James Poyser tracks work better because it wasn't force feeding the groove and the messagr. No way Com should have let John Mayer on his album. Besides that, there's getting rolled over by the hype machine that is Late Registration.

perfectly put =