SCI-FI flick RECCOs

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I've run out of scifi films to watch and its depressing. I love space flicks and Faustian tales. Any reccos from the sci fi peoples? Think underappreciated. I reccomend Altered States to anyone who hasnt seen it.

Comments

• you can talk about scifi records as well.

• Hey man... Have you ever seen Hardware? http://imdb.com/title/tt0099740/

I think this shit is dope... been waiting for a dvd for a long time...

It's low budget, but slick. Post apocalytic urban movie that is about a robot stalking a woman in her apartment. Her boyfriend is a soldier who came back from the wastelands with a gift. A robot head he found, and thought his girl could use since she's a sculptor. It is a population control robot, and assembles itself and starts killing. Peeping toms, people meditating naked and stoned, a population control robot with the american flag painted on it's face, narration by Iggy Pop. Some dope stuff.

Oh, and Holy Mountain by Jodorowsky.

I'm drawing a blank... I'll post more as they come to me.

Peace...

FNM

It's low budget, but slick. Post apocalytic urban movie that is about a robot stalking a woman in her apartment. Her boyfriend is a soldier who came back from the wastelands with a gift. A robot head he found, and thought his girl could use since she's a sculptor. It is a population control robot, and assembles itself and starts killing. Peeping toms, people meditating naked and stoned, a population control robot with the american flag painted on it's face. Some dope stuff.

Oh, and Holy Mountain by Jodorowsky.

I'm drawing a blank... I'll post more as they come to me.

Peace...
    FNM

Fuck yeah, Ive seen Hardware. A hommie and I saw that when it came out. Lots of nudity if I recall. And the main guy wears that metallic hand and feels up his girlfriend.

Ill check out Holy Mountain. Thanks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Done the Tarkovsky stuff yet? Original "Solaris" is well worth seeing, and "Stalker" is pretty cool too. More heady (some say boring) than visual, but if you like "Altered States" they may be your bag.

• Of course. I love tarkovsky. i used to go film school so I was obsessed with him for about 3 years. Stalker is so sick visually. When they're riding that cart to the forbidden zone, damn, thats an amazing scene. The sounds are next level too.

• Done the Tarkovsky stuff yet? Original "Solaris" is well worth seeing, and "Stalker" is pretty cool too. More heady (some say boring) than visual, but if you like "Altered States" they may be your bag.

I got Solaris on DVD... and to honest, I find it a little boring. I still like it though. My favorite scene is where they are driving through Japanese tunnels for about a half hour.

Seriously... I love tunnels.

Peace...
    FNM

• Done the Tarkovsky stuff yet? Original "Solaris" is well worth seeing, and "Stalker" is pretty cool too. More heady (some say boring) than visual, but if you like "Altered States" they may be your bag.

I got Solaris on DVD... and to honest, I find it a little boring. I still like it though. My favorite scene is where they are driving through Japanese tunnels for about a half hour.

Seriously... I love tunnels.

Peace...
    FNM

that scene is sick and I dont know why. I like the scene where the russians are interviewing that one astron hmm cosmonaut.

• Dreamscape

Enemy Mine

The Last Starfighter

BTW, I just found the soundtrack for star fighter at a local spot, but it was 5 bucks.

I can't remember the soundtrack well... worth it?

FNM

I got lucky enough for the Museum of FIne Arts around here to do a retrospective on him a few years ago. After watching "Stalker" on a VHS I had auto-dubbed from TCM at 3AM, it was a revelation on the big screen, as was "Solaris" in massive restored print. My favorite of the series though was "Andrei Rubelev," which was just incredible.

FNM

yeah i like the scene where he zooms on that painting on the wall and he zooms for like 2 minutes until it is in the minutae of the painting.

seriously did anyone undestand what the fuck was going on in that movie ? i had to see the remake just to understand what the first one was about. that might be the most boring movie i have ever seen. that and la guerre est finie.

after that movie i set down a ground rule, NO movies over 3 hours long will i ever see again.

dave

• Ah...

So the Mad Max series is dope. But there were also alot of good knockoffs on this theme. Movies taking place in the desert, post-apocalyptic future, black leather, football shoulder pads, etc., usually low budget...

I forget the name of alot of these.

Blood of Heroes is dope, with Rutger Hauer.

There's one I'm thinking of, mad maxish... a guy hooks up with fly ass redhead girl... at one point, they are made to go through an obstacle course... WHat the fuck is this movie again? Someone help me out.

Anyone else digs these? What were some other ones, I'm certain there were more?

Peace...
    FNM

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    'alphaville.' you can definitely see some of 'bladerunner's' inspiration in here, dealing with an emotionless society and the question of identity.
    also, alphaville was based on the same short film - can't remember name right now -that '12 monkeys' was based on.

speaking of '12 monkeys' -> 'brazil' is another great sci-fi flick.

and to throw it out there, i considered 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' to be sci-fi and great.

co-sign on this and metallic hands feeling up naked boobies!!

Trancers
    Riders on the Storm (crazy straight to video jawn with Dennis Hopper as a viet-nam vet)
    Saturn 3 (crazy robot gone wild flick with Kirk Douglas, Farah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel as pill popping space cadets)
    Ice Pirates!!
    Slipstream (another stv post-apocolypse cheesefest with Mark Hamil and Bill Paxton)
    Chronicles of Riddick (another guilty pleasure, this movie is so freaking dope to me, except the names they gave the planets and characters lacked any creativity whatsoever: Necromonger, Furyon, Crematoria? Come on people, use your imagination!!)
    Event Horizon
    Time Bandits
    Buckaroo Banzai

• while we're on this topic, I've noticed a lot of 'six-degrees-of-Kevin-bacon" shit going on in Sci-Fi hollywood land. Bear with me:

Patrick Stewart: Capt. Picard and Prof. Xavier, who starred with:
    Ian McKellen: Magneto and Gandalf in X-men, which was directed by
    Brian Singer: who is currently directing the new Superman movie which co-stars
    James Marsden: as Lois Lane's fiancee and also plays Cyclops in X-men

Ron Perlman: Beauty & the Beast, Ice Pirates, and most recently Hellboy which was directed by:
    Guillermo del Toro: who directed Chronos, Blade II both of which starred or co-starred Mr. Perlman (as well as the upcoming Hellboy 2)

Liam Neeson: Darkman which was directed by
    Sam Raimi: Evil Dead series, Spider-Man series both of which had
    Bruce Campbell: B-movie superstar with the chin that kills as well as
    Ted Raimi: Sam's bro who appears in many of his films as well as co-writes and has starred in many classic cult b-movies: Candyman, Shocker and Wishmaster to name a few

Another interesting tidbit: Frances McDormand was also in Darkman which ties her into the whole Cohen Bros and Raimi Bros quirky Hollywood circle, as well as Blood Simple which co-starred
    M. Emmet Walsh: who stars in Bladerunner as Harrison Ford's police chief, and co-stars
    Rutger Hauer: yet another b-movie superstar, Bladerunner probably being his biggest a-film.

one last one,

Clancy Brown: as the Kurgin in Highlander, Buckaroo Banzai which starred
    Peter Weller: Robocop and Naked Lunch
    Clancy also played as Bro. Justin in Carnivale alonside
    Nick Stahl: who plays John Connor in T3
    and Adrienne Barbeau: Swampthing

Any others??

• girgir 329 Posts
    thx-1138 is worth watching if you have never seen it.

videodrome as well.

• Just watched Zardoz again the other night. No matter how many times you've seen it it's still totally astonishing.

Liquid Sky is another one that most folls are not up on.

I'm also shocked by how many people haven't checked out The Black Hole, the darkest Disney movie ever made.

• thanks for the responses people, this is great!!!
    I got so desparate I watched Freejack with Emilio Estevez last night.

I watched Freejack

• Make sure you've checked out EVERY John Carpenter movie up to They Live.

Saturn 3 is another one for real headz.

Planet of the Vampires will probably blow your mind.

I like Lifeforce ok if only for the constantly naked alien woman.

More fantasy / horror / thriller, but The Fury is possibly my favorite movie ever made.

Bottom line is help is on the way and you never have to watch another Freejack.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    'alphaville.' you can definitely see some of 'bladerunner's' inspiration in here, dealing with an emotionless society and the question of identity.
    also, alphaville was based on the same short film - can't remember name right now -that '12 monkeys' was based on.

La Jettee (SP?). Very cool. Just black and white still photos.

The Clone Wars TV shorts are on DVD and they are actually pretty cool.

hard to come up with much that hasn't been listed.

Metropolis. If you can find the OG with the original score.

There was one a few years back about some future city that was policed by these super "cops" that just had two guns. They were like priests where they had this whole belief system and ninja style abilities. It was kind of strained, but I didn't turn it off. I didn't remember the name either.

Pitch Black (the sequal was )

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

La Jettee (SP?). Very cool. Just black and white still photos.

yeah, that's the one. by chris marker i think. too lazy to do googoo search. regardless, real next level art for its time.

edit - i had to look it up. it is mr marker

• after that movie i set down a ground rule, NO movies over 3 hours long will i ever see again.
    Dave, this is such a good rule! It needs to be broken every now and then, like maybe when you are bed ridden or something. But in general im a firm beliver in the 90 min format, 2 hrs. is ok but 90 min is best.

Anyone else digs these? What were some other ones, I'm certain there were more?
    I love me some post apochalyptic shit. Road Warrior is one of my favorite EVAR, I just saw it on the big screen a couple months ago at the local indy theatre and man was it awesome. It seemed like it was about 10 or 15 minutes long. That movie flies, and all the sets and costumes are so right. I find the gay undercurent of this film to be very interesting as well.

• rayray 77 Posts

Still the greatest Science Fiction film of all time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Still the greatest Science Fiction film of all time.

Co-Sign.................but

LOGAN'S RUN
    EQUILIBRIUM
    ROLLERBALL OG
    THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET

and this for records...

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i just caught jim henson's "the cube".... an hour long... I guess you could call it sci-fi, either way it was excellent. Walter Sear soundtrack, Jim Henson getting all existentialist and shit. definitely NOT the muppets

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Liquid Sky is another one that most folls are not up on.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Some non traditional shit;

"Bara no soretsu" - The film that influenced CLOCKWORK ORANGE. It was one of Kubric's favorite films. It's gay cinema however, so I'm not sure how people will take to it. This is more of a thing to see if you're a fan of Clockwork than a good Scifi flick. Kind of hard to find, but it can be found. I was able to source one with English sub's, so it's possible. Beautiful to look at even if you don't like the concept.

"Kin-Dza-Dza" - since people already mentioned STALKER, try this Russian sci-fi on for size. Good shit. More conceptual than visual.

"Time of the Wolf" - M. Haneke what can you say about one of the best directors of current day? Just saw CACHE on Monday at the TIFF...ask Miss Bassie about Haneke if you don't beleive me....

Don't be fooled because it's a cartoon. This shit is *DEEP* and the truth here;

Robot Stories - Indy shorts based on future with Robots

Casshern - Maybe the best usage of CGI out of Asian last year. Some may disagree, but I thought it was impressive (at least the look).

AVALON - Polish Sci-Fi with good use of CGI

Natural City - Influenced by Blade Runner, and a good underlying message

Rubber's Lover - I like the whole cyberpunk movement. 964 Pinnochio is another one. The genre itself is interesting to me. Tetsuo is also an example.

"Murder in a Blue World" - The equivalent of Clockwork Orange from Spain - 70's

"texnologize" (spelling?!) - Japanese Anime series. If you don't mind watching an entire series, this is pretty dope. There is a Japanese set with english sub's. Good shit. It's pretty Deep.

Night Watch - Russian joint that isn't as good as the hype around it, but it still better than a lot of current blockbusters. I think it's actually coming out in theatres this year, but I don't know when

"CUBE" - Canadian Indy film from '97. Good shit.

"Soylent Green" - Classic Sci-Fi

"Broken Saints" - Canadian feature without dist. in the US. One an award at Sundance. Not sure why nobody wants to pick it up. I think you can download the series also.

I got some more Anime you may like, but I only listed the ones that aren't drawn "cute" and shit.... Anyhow, all that comes to mind and I got to get back to work....

• "CUBE" - Canadian Indy film from '97. Good shit.

The director made two more films recently that seem to go unnoticed and I think these need to be checked out:

Cypher - Very good paranoid corporate horror/scifi. Reminds me of The Manchurian Candidate.

Nothing - Two guys wish away the whole world and are stuck with each other in a vast empty space. It's very humorous. Hints at Office Space too.

Further, I've seen Ghost in the Shell part 2 and it's almost as good as the first, if you ask me. Has a 2001 atmosphere to it.

Stay away from Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy.[/b]

"Bara no soretsu" - The film that influenced CLOCKWORK ORANGE. It was one of Kubric's favorite films. It's gay cinema however, so I'm not sure how people will take to it. This is more of a thing to see if you're a fan of Clockwork than a good Scifi flick. Kind of hard to find, but it can be found. I was able to source one with English sub's, so it's possible. Beautiful to look at even if you don't like the concept.
    Sounds interesting.

Oh yeah, anyone seen Space is the Place?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Further, I've seen Ghost in the Shell part 2 and it's almost as good as the first, if you ask me. Has a 2001 atmosphere to it.

Rented GITS2 but the subtitles also had all the sound effects printed which just got on my nerves too quick.
    "helecoptor sound" "glass shatters" "gun fire" tooooooooo much. ANyone know the story on this and can you find a version with out this? Loved GITS so I'd like to see 2.

I also liked Space is the Place. You really have to give it a lot of leeway (SP). It's your typical low budget freak out, but it's cool if your into Sun Ra.

• Further, I've seen Ghost in the Shell part 2 and it's almost as good as the first, if you ask me. Has a 2001 atmosphere to it.

Rented GITS2 but the subtitles also had all the sound effects printed which just got on my nerves too quick.
    "helecoptor sound" "glass shatters" "gun fire" tooooooooo much. ANyone know the story on this and can you find a version with out this? Loved GITS so I'd like to see 2.

I also liked Space is the Place. You really have to give it a lot of leeway (SP). It's your typical low budget freak out, but it's cool if your into Sun Ra.

I've seen GITS2 on an insanely BIG screen! I don't think this copy had the kind of titles you talk about. Must have been a copy for the deaf?

I'v seen Space is the Place. I agree, it's for the dedicated viewer. But it's still pretty entertaining. Other films that were mentioned earlier, like Logan's Run and Saturn 5 offer less entertainment (but still I love 'm). When you think about it, there's not much "black scifi" is there? Besides Space is the Place, I can't think of to many. Top of the Heap has lots of scifi moments (damn, rent that film fools!), but any others? Well, that's a whole other thread!

Oh yeah, well known but needs to be mentioned: Death Race 2000!