How Many Records You Got????

13»

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I really never thought I'd be "one of those dudes" but i went from ~2000 to 10,000+ in five years.

• Any one else have 200+ kiddie/instructional records just in case one day you want to sample one of them? This is the kind of stuff I feel like I really need to purge.
    I dont have 200+ of em, but I got about half that. For some reason I can never get rid of those instructional or kiddie (pron) recorods.
    I've got about 3000 LPs and singles and about 750 45s. I am going to go swm in them now alla Screwge McDuck.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I got some records, mayng.

me too. but I listen to em.

Don't be mean, Dave.

• 1100-1200. I've started get rid of some doubles though and nowadays also trying to go for quality in stead of quantity.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    not sure

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    slightly under 1000.

• i'm trying to go for quality not quantity

i'm trying to go for quality not quantity

i'm trying to go for quality not quantity

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    slightly over 1000.

• 1500 = LPs
    +/- 1000 = 12"
    400+ = 7"
    +/- 50 = 10"/78s

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not sure

enough to cause friction before, during and sometimes after moving day.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    none, records got me

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    none, records got me
    How many records got you?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    none, records got me

got How you records many?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've got about 800 that are in the "permanent" collection and about 12,000 that are in the "revolving" collection

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I might actually try and count this weekend. Just the Expedit worthy ones.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    none, records got me

got How you records many?
    Many, you?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Volumen

~10,000 not counting my 45s. This is why I don't shop too much anymore (wifey beefing-related)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    How many does an expedit hold, anyway? (Too lazy to count-related)

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

enough to cause friction before, during and sometimes after moving day.

fuuuuuuuuuuck moving records. i think i'm paying somebody to do it next time.

• fuuuuuuuuuuck moving records. i think i'm paying somebody to do it next time.

I know I will probably catch heat for this, but next time i will head down and get some day laborers at home depot.

I got about 7000 now. probably 600+ 45's. i am officially out of shelf space and need to purge about 1000 of them. i wish aron's was still around. it was so easy to bring records down there...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I might actually try and count this weekend. Just the Expedit worthy ones.

Ive got an expedits worth too. Im too lazy to count them though. Any one have a rough idea of how many records an expedit holds?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    fah feeeleon

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    500-600?

I don't keep one-trackers unless it's one HELL of a track, and records that I only want a sample or two from get ditched at first opportunity. I don't have the money or desire to amass mountains of records I'll never listen to or never even look at.

I do keep some records if I really like the cover art despite terrible music, though...

- J

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    too many but never enough!!!!!!

• Wow,you folks got alot of records,my collection is tiny compared to yours-I got about-1300LP'S and maybe 70045's.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Somewhere between 3000 and 5000 most likely, if you include LP's, 45's, CD's (a lot of those), and cassettes (an annoying amount). Also a few 8-tracks, too many pounds of 78's, a couple of Edison Discs, and one Edison Cylinder.

Not counting music DVD's and VHS'.

I have been at inputting into Discogs for a year and a half, and I'm nowhere near done. And of course, I keep buying...

GJ

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Probably 500 pieces - Blue Note, Miles, Trane, Roy Ayers, Headhunters, Fusion, Grover Washington Jr., David Sanborn, any fucking thing with Marcus Miller on it somewhere, Luther, Boogie, Chapter 8, Jorge Dalto, Tania Maria, Valentine Brothers, Crusaders, Chaka, Anita Baker, Chet Baker, Grown-folks R&B, Stax, Otis, Early 80s hip-hop, Specials, Zappa, mulleted six-string shredders and a lot of bass-players-with-licks-I-needed-to-cop stuff which was my education.  No 45s, apart from IIRC Herbie's "Rockit" which was the first piece I bought.

My dad is a hoarder and had, IIRC, 10K pieces years ago.  Multiples of stuff he'd forgotten he already owned.  Opera, Classical, Sinatra, Jazz (alas, more Armstrong than Miles/Trane), 78s.  Al Jolson.  Perry fucking Como for days.  George Formby (he plays and owns hella ukes).  Comedy.  Peter Sellers and the Goons.  Quadrophonic stuff.  Hi-fi demos.  Musicals.  He was always into music made before his time, no rock or Beatles or R&B.

It's all piled up in their house gathering dust.  I'd say it has very little resale value.  My dad was born in 1935, adopted, and at that time regular folks were dirt poor with no possessions.  I guess having a lot of shit you can see and call your own was a way of creating an identity or a sense of self.  He's got a load of books, sheet music, antique pottery and glassware in the attic.  No-one has been up there since we moved out and they stopped putting up Christmas decorations.

He's not like, a "Can't move in the house for corridors made of years-old newspaper stacks, covered in mouse-shit" hoarder but I suspect if my mum had left him (God knows why she hasn't) it would have gone down like that.  Every couple of years we go and try and tidy the house, takes a whole weekend with four people at it all day, but you know in 2 weeks it'll be back to chaos.

I vowed never to get like that, so I only bought stuff I'd listen to regularly - not looking for complete catalogues or grip-to-flip stock etc.  I'd say after 30+ years of digging I own all the old vinyl I'll ever want and the new music is all digital - thank f*ck.  I have a f*ckload of mp3s.  Before the internet I would shell out for an album if it had just one track I wanted, but now it's much easier to cop exactly what you need.  I would. however, like to cop some Booker Ervin on vinyl off Horseleech wherever he is these days as a thank you for putting me on to him.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Jimster said:
     I would. however, like to cop some Booker Ervin on vinyl off Horseleech wherever he is these days as a thank you for putting me on to him.

Horseleech is on Waxidermy these days. That forum is much more active now.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I've bought and sold around 20,000 records over the past 8 or so years. Right now I have around 4,500 records (1,000 45s and 3,500 LPs and 12"). I had around 6,500 but purged 2,000 when I moved a couple months ago. I'll purge even more eventually but have been spending a lot of time listening to them all lately. They were all sitting dormant for some time and when I moved in with my girlfriend she had not heard most of the music that I have filed away. It's been a period of new music discovery for her and she's enjoying it a lot. We took a trip to New Orleans a couple weeks ago and she ended up buying more records than me.