KANYE- Most important rapper since Pac? Or EVER?

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    he's rich off of selling beats, royalties (imagine the paper he still gets off the last 4 Jay-Z albums) and touring. selling records is a factor but dude was doing real well before his first album came out.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm curious to see if anybody's gonna distance themselves from Kanye if there ends up being a really huge backlash against him. Is John Mayer still gonna be down? How about Jay-Z? Hov was DEFINITELY staying away from R. Kelly when his pissing scandal first broke. Will he, in the name of being a "business, man", keep his lips shut about this controversy or will he stand behind his boy?
    jay has always taken swipes at bush in interviews since the war broke.i doubt that the people that burn dixie chicks cd's are going to hurt kanye's $$$.

Before that shit broke I thought the Dixie Chicks were a hermaphodite punk band. Also, ain't nobody from middle america gonna steal those cds - you got to buy 'em to burn 'em.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    People want the perception of[/b] rebellion, counter culture or whatever

a rebellion without power is useless...although Kanye's remarks took balls he's still not a threat to the government...and no rapper has ever been a threat to the government...not even Public Enemy....rappers are powerless and their 'movements' are powerless...what i appreciated about Kanye's remarks was the immediate sacrifice it took....but if a rapper ever led or had the power to lead a REAL rebellion that shit would be shut down so quick it wouldn't be funny...his comments were very admirable but nobody is following Kanye in a march to the white house..

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    An important thing that he is doing though is raising awareness among his younger audience who really wouldn't give a fuck about that shit normally. He may not be leading a revolution on his own, but he could be setting the foundation for one (wow that shit sounded corny as fuck.)

• although Kanye's remarks took balls he's still not a threat to the government...and no rapper has ever been a threat to the government...not even Public Enemy

This may be true, but believe that the govt. watches ANY controversial rapper very closely. Just ask NWA, PE, Ice-T, etc. And a lot of rappers that are not so controversial, too. We're talking about tapping telephones, bugs, surveillance etc. at the very least. So they must feel that certain rappers are potentially dangerous to some degree.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

a rebellion without power is useless...although Kanye's remarks took balls he's still not a threat to the government...and no rapper has ever been a threat to the government...not even Public Enemy....rappers are powerless and their 'movements' are powerless...what i appreciated about Kanye's remarks was the immediate sacrifice it took....but if a rapper ever lead or had the power to lead a REAL rebellion that shit would be shut down so quick it wouldn't be funny...his comments were very admirable but nobody is following Kanye in a march to the white house..

True. If any of these guys ever made a real difference, they'd be erased from the public mind faster than you could say 1984.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

'Matter of Time' is my shit!!!!!

and yes the gov't/FBI has watched controversial rappers...but if any of them posed a real threat they would have been shut down immediately

• 'Matter of Time' is my shit!!!!!

and yes the gov't/FBI has watched controversial rappers...but if any of them posed a real threat they would have been shut down immediately

cointelpro

• 'Matter of Time' is my shit!!!!!

No doubt... Kem deserves an appreciation post of his own one of these days IMO.

I agree. Although if you think about it, controversial rap (the kind that may in anyway pose even the slightest threat to the powers that be) HAS been shut down... in one way or another. Something that just happened as times changed or part of a bigger plan? Hmmm...

• Hood is showing love to Kanye.

Especially in Philly but up here in NY as well.

Shit, even the local Clear Channel affiliate in the Bay is jamming the new album. I listened to KMEL for a total of about 30 minutes yesterday and heard "Gone" two or three times. Shit had me grinning.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Hov was DEFINITELY staying away from R. Kelly when his pissing scandal first broke. Will he, in the name of being a "business, man", keep his lips shut about this controversy or will he stand behind his boy?
    I would speculate that he would show unexplicit loyalty with Kanye. Criticizing an unpopular president isn't quite as scandalous as being on video pissing on a teenager's face...at least to people BESIDES Bill O'Reilly and the like.

• Mad props to Kanye for saying what needed to be said. I respect him as an artist, tantrums and all.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'm sorry if this is repetious, but I just got sent a longer clip than what I've seen so far.

I don't know if he's the most important rapper since ___________ (I'm not really a Tupac fan, so...), but he's saying some important things as a human being.

sorry if you've already seen it

thanks for posting that. thats awesome.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

a rebellion without power is useless...although Kanye's remarks took balls he's still not a threat to the government...and no rapper has ever been a threat to the government...not even Public Enemy....rappers are powerless and their 'movements' are powerless...what i appreciated about Kanye's remarks was the immediate sacrifice it took....but if a rapper ever led or had the power to lead a REAL rebellion that shit would be shut down so quick it wouldn't be funny...his comments were very admirable but nobody is following Kanye in a march to the white house..

Yo, they certainly shut tupac down. that dude had real power, no doubt about it. Kanye definitely gets props for speaking his mind. But pac? Thats a different breed. I honestly believe that he had the type of enigmatic personality that it takes to actually incite a revolution.

Kanye may stir up some contreversy, but pac was a straight up soldier. And what ever you think about his skills on the mic, the man already has statues up in his honor. Thug Angel, Black Jesus. Its gonna be hard for any rapper to touch his impact.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm not a huge Kanye West fan, but I gotta prop his courageousness for saying what needed to be said. It's time for the political-correctness, defer to the GOP shit to stop!!! It's nice to see someone have some balls and speak truth. By the way, I gotta big-up Wolf Blitzer on CNN for tearing the Homeland Security director a new asshole for the ridiculously slow reponse of the American government to provide victim relief in New Orleans. Black and poor folks don't demand a quick response. The response would have been hella quick if it happened in a place where the population wasn't 67% Black (U.S. Census Bureau, 2000). Yeah, I said it!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• As far as 'does the gubment watch what dudes are doing' question....

Maybe you ought ask 'The BOMB Hip Hop' that question.
    I do recall that dude had quite the interesting run in with some men in suits.

Kanye's outburst was sooo necessary.
    Though dude might wanna be extra careful now.
    Call me a Pale Horse rider, but I can easily see the SS/CIA making an accident happen for dude... And chalking it up to Rap Beef....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Hey,

I'm not a huge Kanye West fan, but I gotta prop his courageousness for saying what needed to be said. It's time for the political-correctness, defer to the GOP shit to stop!!! It's nice to see someone have some balls and speak truth. By the way, I gotta big-up Wolf Blitzer on CNN for tearing the Homeland Security director a new asshole for the ridiculously slow reponse of the American government to provide victim relief in New Orleans. Black and poor folks don't demand a quick response. The response would have been hella quick if it happened in a place where the population wasn't 67% Black (U.S. Census Bureau, 2000). Yeah, I said it!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"NEW ORLEANS! NEW ORLEANS! NEW ORLEANS!"

*If above reference is lost on you, go watch 'Dog Day Afternoon' and read about the Attica Prison riots.

• why? does it really matter to george w what kanye said?
    true george believers will write kanye off as an ignorant publicity seeker out of step with national unity. meanwhile, majority of black america didnt vote for george w anyway and a hefty percentge of those know he dont give a damn about the concerns of poor blacks.

so whose views will kanye's words affect?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Anyone who speaks truth to power is taking a risk.

Kanye is a rising pop star. As a producer and rapper he is established, as a People Magazine pop star he is rising. Will he be on the year end best dressed lists? Sexiest man lists? Rappers don't make those lists.

I don't think he will suffer the backlash that the Dixie Chicks received. Mainly because Bush is spiraling down fast. My local conservative daily's headline today was Home Land Security Fails First Test. American's are waking up to the folly of Iraq, and disgusted with response to Katrina.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s pop stars and athletes, especially Black stars, had to take political stands. Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan created the apolitical star, refusing to take stands on anything. Most stars from pop to sports have followed their lead. Perhaps Kanye will reverse that trend.

One way that Bush gets back at people who speak out is the No-Fly-List. Jello Biafra and other activist are target for full searches and security screanings every time they fly.

Dan

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    admittedly, my bullshit meter doesn't always work, but can dude be that good of an actor? he could hardly get his words out, he looked like he was going to lose his shit at any moment and i believe that he felt every damn thing he said. a man who says that he was a hypocrite for shopping before donating is a man with perspective, you know? he said what had to be said.

can things be so damn ugly in someone's soul that he would use this as an opportunity for record sales?

motivation is different from outcome:

my BF who hasn't liked rap since PE and NWA said he will now buy Late Registration having seen the Kanye clip even though he knows he won't like it.
    I've heard it and he's right.

I'd like to hear what Mike Myers has to say, dude looked like he had to change his pants after that was over.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'd like to hear what Mike Myers has to say, dude looked like he had to change his pants after that was over.

If what I've heard about him is true, he probably threw a Grade A hissy-fit.

• my BF who hasn't liked rap since PE and NWA said he will now buy Late Registration having seen the Kanye clip even though he knows he won't like it.
    I've heard it and he's right.

belly laugh.

• yo Phill Most Chill.
    When I saw Kanye on TV the other day, the first thing that came to my mind was how nobody's been this real on camera since 2pac. All these other rappers are soft. Kanye comes thru guns blazing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Kanye speaks out ONCE and cats anoint him leader. Those are really high standards.

• Kanye speaks out ONCE and cats anoint him leader. Those are really high standards.

I feel you... but then... where are the other "leaders"???

Our generation is desperate for someone to come and cut the bullshit. Everyone, celebs, politicians, business leaders, etc. is watching out for their own interests, trying not to rock the boat too much.

Look at the magnitude of this small act, all that he had to lose and the platform that he had. NOBODY is doing this now, nobody.

Kanye speaks out ONCE and cats anoint him leader. Those are really high standards.

Our generation is desperate for someone to come and cut the bullshit. Everyone, celebs, politicians, business leaders, etc. is watching out for their own interests, trying not to rock the boat too much.

Look at the magnitude of this small act, all that he had to lose and the platform that he had. NOBODY is doing this now, nobody.

But check it JP. Throwing all our hopes into one cat is real dangerous. I'm just not going to hype up one person because im hungry for a "leader".
    That been the the peoples problem in the first place-- waiting for someone to rep them instead of acting themselves.
    I dont like the sheep mentality.

• Kanye speaks out ONCE and cats anoint him leader. Those are really high standards.

But check it JP. Throwing all our hopes into one cat is real dangerous. I'm just not going to hype up one person because im hungry for a "leader".
    That been the the peoples problem in the first place-- waiting for someone to rep them instead of acting themselves.
    I dont like the sheep mentality.

Well maybe you are not a "sheep", maybe I am not a "sheep", in that we don't blindly follow one person but many, many people are looking for someone stronger/better/more successful (lol) than themselves to show the way. That is just how people are.

And as for throwing everything behind one person, I can only hope that more than just one person makes the kind of stand Kanye did.

I don't think it's all about annointing Kanye as the new Jesus or some shit but man... if he's the only one willing to say something like that and take that risk then so be it.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Well maybe you are not a "sheep", maybe I am not a "sheep", in that we don't blindly follow one person but many, many people are looking for someone stronger/better/more successful (lol) than themselves to show the way. That is just how people are.

And as for throwing everything behind one person, I can only hope that more than just one person makes the kind of stand Kanye did.

I don't think it's all about annointing Kanye as the new Jesus or some shit but man... if he's the only one willing to say something like that and take that risk then so be it.

'Ye isn't obligated to say anythin' inflammatory or otherwise - the mere fact that he elected to do so w/ his inter/national profile @ stake @ least speaks positively about some of his convictions - it wasn't the most articulate, but more than that, it was heartfelt; artists such as Paris or Dead Prez wouldn't have had the platform that Kanye had on Friday night to utter such a message... In a day and age where integrity is in short supply, a gesture as such should elicit some measure of respect if nothin' else...

• A leader??? Is anybody really looking at Kanye west as any kind of a "leader"??? He's a rap producer / rapper / pop artist. He just made a very courageous statement that needed to be said and he should be commended for it, that's all. I don't think anybody's looking at Kanye West, or any other rap dude, to be their savior. If that's what it is then we're in a lot more trouble than we think we are.

Some of his prior moves might be questionable, but he's quickly turning into a cultural terrorist that will stir up the masses. Which other entertainer would have done it ?

Kanye is the new Messiah.